3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Having A Soldano Clone Built!
Todd Simpson
Oct 23 2014, 07:34 PM
GMC:er
I'm having my "Holy Grail" preamp built from scratch!!! smile.gif I've been drooling over the legendary

SOLDANO X88R

for quite some time. Sadly, they cost $3,000 to $5,000!!!!!! Egad!!!!
Attached Image
These rack units are nearly MYTHICAL. They aren't made anymore and are much sought after. They are from a time when rack units were as big as a refrigerator wink.gif

Attached Image

Thankfully, I found a Russian builder (called "Myasnikov Preamps") who does clones of various high gain preamps/amps/etc. made to order!!! And since I really just want the HIGH GAIN channel off the X88r, not the clean or overdrive channel, I'm having him build just the high gain channel in to a single rack unit smile.gif Here is an early 3D draft. More to come!!!

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 23 2014, 07:42 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 24 2014, 03:01 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Mind if I ask how much this is setting you back? Always had a thing for custom kind of stuff

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 24 2014, 09:02 PM
Got new mockup pic today!! I asked for some special mods as well!!! most important of which
Attached Image

SUPER CUSTOM MODIFICATIONS REQUESTED!!

*PRE-GAIN 120hz HIGH PASS FILTER SWITCH
-This is gonna RAWK. This one thing will make it sounds monstrous IMHO. With so many high gain preamps, the abundance of bass just makes it boomy. Folks typically use a TUBE SCREAMER which actually restricts the amount of bass hitting the gain stage. SO they are already doing this type of thing but with a pedal. The little switch will do it in the preamp wink.gif

*CLEAN BOOST SWITCH
-Going to request a clean boost switch as well smile.gif After the high pass. Again folks use a tube screamer, but I want to be able to get killer tone in one rack unit. I plan on using it in the fx loop of my ELEVEN RACK smile.gif

QUOTE (Mith @ Oct 23 2014, 10:01 PM) *
Mind if I ask how much this is setting you back? Always had a thing for custom kind of stuff

I have no idea!! Thats the tricky part. He's never built one and we are still working out the specs so he's not sure either at this point. So far, it's a "ONE OFF" build just for me. But if it turns out well, he says he might make more and sell them! Direct from MOTHER RUSSIA! So the shipping will probably be CRAZY PRICEY.

AMT is another Russian company that makes clones of heads and stuffs them in to solid state pedals. God bless those ruskies!!!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 24 2014, 11:46 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 24 2014, 08:02 PM) *
God bless those ruskies!!!

hehe yeah they are very talented smile.gif most have budget problems I guess for marketing but whatever demo I listened from a Russian tech (usually studio rack stuff) they sounded pretty good. I'm also curious to hear how it will turn out cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 25 2014, 02:17 AM
You and me both!!! smile.gif I've been impressed with his previous work from youtube vids and not that may folks I've found are doing x88r clones or if they are they don't seem to come as close as I'd like. From what I've heard so far, his clones sound really spiff so I"m stoked smile.gif

Of course there was no high pass filter or clean boost switch on the 88r, but that's what custom rigs are for smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Oct 24 2014, 06:46 PM) *
hehe yeah they are very talented smile.gif most have budget problems I guess for marketing but whatever demo I listened from a Russian tech (usually studio rack stuff) they sounded pretty good. I'm also curious to hear how it will turn out cool.gif

+Quote Post
Jouve
Oct 25 2014, 07:49 AM
Learning Roadie
Congratulations.
Myasnikov preamps, that's very nice stuf. I had a "shred machine", it's so damn metal. In Penza they build very nice amps.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 28 2014, 03:48 PM
Today I connected the fx send of the amp directly to the soundcard.

Will make a topic later about it but for now I'll say though I didn't like the dist. much (old, not so expensive Peavey) the response of the guitar even on clean channel was amazing (compared to only using soundcard) with the plugins, touch sensitivity increased very noticeably and shredding was a dream smile.gif

Reminded me of this topic and would like to ask, since the amp is huge and I'll have to deal with cables would love to get that feel from a pedal unit. Can and what sort of pedal do that?

My chain itb is very simple; an overdrive (bright-ish setuped but not very distorted, mostly for boosting the gain) a boss metalzone emulation (cranked) and cab. ir.

I was thinking about buying a digitech grunge but the store at that time didn't have one (has massive gain and dist. plus cab. emulated output available as I saw on youtube) but now thinking maybe I should get something preamp like as what I'm doing with the overdrive plug-n? Tech 21 stuff maybe?

This post has been edited by Mertay: Oct 28 2014, 03:51 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 28 2014, 04:06 PM
You're playing through the pre-amp of a guitar amplifier. It's made/optimized specifically to handle the input impedance/voltage of guitar pickups. That's why it feels good and is 'responsive'.

A decent stand alone (mic) pre or channel strip (or even a nice DI) will get you that feel. Use a separate guitar dist pedal or software/plugin for the overdrive.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 28 2014, 04:07 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 28 2014, 04:14 PM
But I use hi-z input soundcard? (TC electronic konnect 8)

...ahhhh but I connected the fx out to hi-z input (instead of using only guitar), did something probably wrong but felt so good wink.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Oct 28 2014, 04:15 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 28 2014, 04:30 PM
Then I would try maybe one of the 'amp character' pedals by Tech 21 ...
http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/...cterseries.html
Or a pre-amp guitar pedal ...
http://www.customtonesinc.com/EthosPreamp.html

*Cosmin uses some preamp that sounds great! Don't remember the brand.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 28 2014, 04:36 PM
Awesome smile.gif I'll make another topic soon all about this and what I've been doing for the past 3 days biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 29 2014, 02:57 AM
The tech 21 californian pedal sounds a lot like a mesa so it's a good choice and has cab emulation and it's small and easy to carry. smile.gif You could always get an original tech21 pedal used which are pretty cheap and sound spiff smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Oct 28 2014, 11:36 AM) *
Awesome smile.gif I'll make another topic soon all about this and what I've been doing for the past 3 days biggrin.gif

Today I got the price! $500 and that's with a $150 discount. For a single channel preamp. It's hand built from Russia With Love

QUOTE (Jouve @ Oct 25 2014, 02:49 AM) *
Congratulations.
Myasnikov preamps, that's very nice stuf. I had a "shred machine", it's so damn metal. In Penza they build very nice amps.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 30 2014, 06:17 AM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 29 2014, 01:30 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 29 2014, 01:57 AM) *
The tech 21 californian pedal sounds a lot like a mesa so it's a good choice and has cab emulation and it's small and easy to carry. smile.gif You could always get an original tech21 pedal used which are pretty cheap and sound spiff smile.gif

The guitar tech. I go to regularly bought a fly rig recently, I spent some time with it and its really cool but tone is a bit too "marshall" for my taste (though eq's on it can make it sound very flat), I might convince him to bring some tech 21 stuff as he can sell them later (its a small but nice store) biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 30 2014, 06:15 AM
IT's really a Low to Mid gain device. If you are looking for something current with more ooomph, the CALIFORNIA pedal or the rack mount preamp are the way to go smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Oct 29 2014, 08:30 AM) *
The guitar tech. I go to regularly bought a fly rig recently, I spent some time with it and its really cool but tone is a bit too "marshall" for my taste (though eq's on it can make it sound very flat), I might convince him to bring some tech 21 stuff as he can sell them later (its a small but nice store) biggrin.gif

Got some more pix of the Soldano X88r clone in progress!
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 30 2014, 11:49 AM
Cool! as far as I know those boards are made 3rd party so the tech probably waited for them to arrive, now he'll combine the parts to it so I'm guessing process will speed up from now on smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 31 2014, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the tip! Really looking forward to trying this out smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Oct 30 2014, 06:49 AM) *
Cool! as far as I know those boards are made 3rd party so the tech probably waited for them to arrive, now he'll combine the parts to it so I'm guessing process will speed up from now on smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Oct 31 2014, 07:29 AM
Learning Roadie
http://vimeo.com/47353628

Sounds like they get it to sound very accurate

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 31 2014, 11:53 AM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Oct 31 2014, 06:29 AM) *
http://vimeo.com/47353628

Sounds like they get it to sound very accurate

Nice comparison, to my ears the engineer nailed the distortion and the only differences are slight freq. changes. An average eq after the amp (maybe even an eq pedal, from behringer to mesa smile.gif ) should solve that easily (analog eq's in general are a bit tighter than software).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 31 2014, 10:45 PM
I listened to the comparison on my studio monitors with the subwoofer on and there is a BIG difference in the LOW/LOW MID. The Soldano unit is much LOW MID focused which is the traditional guitar range. For extended range guitars, this can be a problem. The clone is actually focused much lower in the LOW frequency area. It was actually this vid that made me want a clone from him smile.gif Should sound killer on 7 and 8 string.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Oct 31 2014, 06:53 AM) *
Nice comparison, to my ears the engineer nailed the distortion and the only differences are slight freq. changes. An average eq after the amp (maybe even an eq pedal, from behringer to mesa smile.gif ) should solve that easily (analog eq's in general are a bit tighter than software).

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 6 2015, 11:54 PM
Just got an update from my builder!! Preview of the faceplate smile.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:08 AM