Advice On A Computer For Home Recording?, Need some help
ChocolateThunda
Jan 16 2015, 03:03 PM
GMC:er
Hey all,

Recently been looking at how I can start recording my songs that I've wrote. I've got a few already but I'm struggling to find people to play them with, so I figured I'd just recording them at home.

I have a Scarlett 2i2 and an Orange CR60 combo, that's it. Currently when I record into my computer with a backing track overdub, it comes out very staggered and it just seems like there's a lot of... lag? Latency? no idea. My PC is old however, and so I'm looking to get a good one, as I;m going to be taking this seriously. Can anyone offer some advice on what I need?

Thx!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 16 2015, 06:17 PM
GMC:er
There is another thread on this very topic just now with some great answers and videos by BOGDAN. You can make some adjustments to your computer that might help. You may be able to use what you've got.

However, if you are up for getting a new computer, it would probably be a positive thing smile.gif I"m assuming your using reaper? If not, go download it as it's free and everybody uses it smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=704482

QUOTE (ChocolateThunda @ Jan 16 2015, 10:03 AM) *
Hey all,

Recently been looking at how I can start recording my songs that I've wrote. I've got a few already but I'm struggling to find people to play them with, so I figured I'd just recording them at home.

I have a Scarlett 2i2 and an Orange CR60 combo, that's it. Currently when I record into my computer with a backing track overdub, it comes out very staggered and it just seems like there's a lot of... lag? Latency? no idea. My PC is old however, and so I'm looking to get a good one, as I;m going to be taking this seriously. Can anyone offer some advice on what I need?

Thx!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 16 2015, 07:04 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (ChocolateThunda @ Jan 16 2015, 03:03 PM) *
Hey all,

Thx!!

Todd had a great suggestion about checking the thread where we are having a similar discussion.
Now before buying a new computer, I'd really suggest checking if that is really necessary.
Audio production has been done for a long time now and I know a lot of local studios which have pretty "ancient" computers yet still everything works fine.

You also seem to have a good audio card and should be able to get less latency.

My first suggestion is try lowering the buffer size in your audio card driver/support software.
The lower the buffer the less latency you have when recording. I'm suggesting this as it is possible to get high latency on a monster computer just because it is set like that.

In case of buying a new computer for music production my general suggestions would be :

1. Intel i5 family processor
2. 8-16GB of ram (the more the better in case you wish to load a lot of VST plugins and software when mixing songs, for example having Ezdrummer, some orchestral synths etc etc)

These are pretty much only two components I'd pay closer attention to. You can have a regular hard drive without problems, just make sure it is big enough for all the music plugins (1 TB minimum). Graphics card is not that relevant to audio production, you can even use an integrated one to save funds for more RAM or better CPU.

Now these are just general suggestion, please feel free to let me know if you need any further specifics or maybe you had a specific computer in a store online you liked, I can take a look as I have been following the market recently so I could provide you more details on components choice etc. Please just send me the link smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:48 AM