New Line6 Floor Unit!
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2015, 08:51 AM
GMC:er
LINE 6 has a new floor unit that has the ease of use ipad control and the HD Amp models of the pod HD series.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 24 2015, 10:35 AM
GMC Founder
Imho Line6 needs to get better amp simulating algos and start listening more to their customers. And release less variations of the same product.

Fingers crossed we will some new exciting stuff from them in the near future.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2015, 10:44 AM
I agree smile.gif Their HIGH GAIN amp sims in particular remain a weak spot IMHO. They do have some great technology, such as the ipad control of the amp, all the handy features, usb recording, bluetooth, etc. But the amp models themselves do need work.

However, the FX are great! smile.gif So as a stand alone FX unit, the entire HD line is pretty darn great IMHO. This unit too would be a great way to get wads of fx if you already had great gain from your amp. Or even as an addition to something like KEMPER which is great for amps, but not built for wads of strange fx.

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 24 2015, 05:35 AM) *
Imho Line6 needs to get better amp simulating algos and start listening more to their customers. And release less variations of the same product.

Fingers crossed we will some new exciting stuff from them in the near future.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 24 2015, 11:01 AM
GMC Founder
I have heard several people say their FX is good. But I had their M16 for at least a year - and plugging it in (in an analog chain) meant a severe sound degradation.

Maybe I was doing something wrong, but can you really get good A/D converters for this price level..?

For tight budgets, I'd probably rather stick to all-digital. Best is if you can use a free plugin like poulin, as many people have decent sound interfaces (and you can get them pretty cheap).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2015, 05:38 PM
Keen point!!! Such gear is only as good as the converters and the converters on the line 6 stuff are not high end. It's mid range gear, so it's got mid range bits.

Very elaborate fx for the price and for most rigs, the inside bits are plenty good. But on a high end rig, I'd say get higher end fx. I was kidding about adding it to your Kemper smile.gif

I went for the 11 Rack which has better bits smile.gif The AXE FX has even better bits as does the kemper. None of which are analogue of course smile.gif

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 24 2015, 06:01 AM) *
I have heard several people say their FX is good. But I had their M16 for at least a year - and plugging it in (in an analog chain) meant a severe sound degradation.

Maybe I was doing something wrong, but can you really get good A/D converters for this price level..?

For tight budgets, I'd probably rather stick to all-digital. Best is if you can use a free plugin like poulin, as many people have decent sound interfaces (and you can get them pretty cheap).

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 24 2015, 07:16 PM

+Quote Post
AdamB
Jan 26 2015, 05:26 PM
I quite like Line6's stuff in general. I have their pod HD pro, and use it a lot for live work.

I'd definitely rather have the Axe Fx, but then the Axe Fx costs 4 or 5 times as much :<

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 26 2015, 07:29 PM
There's that smile.gif The cost of the AXE and KEMPER are what keep folks away, including myself. I split the difference and went with the 11 Rack smile.gif For the price I have yet to find anything that I like better, especially for high gain stuff.

QUOTE (AdamB @ Jan 26 2015, 12:26 PM) *
I quite like Line6's stuff in general. I have their pod HD pro, and use it a lot for live work.

I'd definitely rather have the Axe Fx, but then the Axe Fx costs 4 or 5 times as much :<

+Quote Post
AdamB
Jan 27 2015, 12:30 PM
You're right about the high gain stuff not being all that, though. I find the biggest problem with the medium/high gain stuff is getting a good rhythm sound.

I currently use it live with a couple of the line6 stagesource speakers and it's good, clean sounds are great, lead sounds are great, but the rhythm dirty sounds are a bit horrible.

I'm toying with pairing the pod with a tube amp to see what can be done. The problem is the rig grows in size (and weight!) quite fast, and means a lot more gear to take to gigs.

So, I already have those stagesource speakers I use with the pod, and a few tube amp heads and a 2x12 cab with an attenuator. The attenuator has a line out, so I figure I could run the guitar to the pod HD, run some FX before the amp on there, then take the signal out of the FX send and into the amp head, then through the amp and attenuator, then take the the dry signal into the 2x12 cabinet and take another copy of the signal out from the attenuator via the line out back into the return on the pod, and then run a cabinet emulation with all the post-amp effects (reverb, delay, flange etc.) and then send that out to the stereo stagesource things.

That way I can use the pod HD for the clean sounds still (which it's really good at) and then put the signal through the tube amp for the dirty/lead sounds. And it will also be very useable whilst playing, I can switch my whole rig around by pressing a single footswitch still.

But yea, problem is the send/return in the pod is noisey and has low quality DAC/ADC as you say, but for live work it might not matter so much. And it means a lot more gear to cart to gigs.

I'll try it and maybe post some videos...

-Adam

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 29 2015, 06:11 AM
BINGO!! That was my experience as well smile.gif GREAT lead tones, GREAT clean tones, Rythm tones never quite sounded right no matter what I tried and I tried everything.

The good news is that the speaker you've chosen are AWESOME. Full range, self powered, plenty LOUD, and portable!! I'd say those are some of the best you can get for the money currently.

The one change you could make that may be able to keep your rig small is to either add one space rack or a pedal just for rythm sounds. But as you mentioned, using gain based fx in the loop is usually not a good idea so you'd have to use a midi capable device in order to make it switch with the line 6.

If you want to keep everything in one floor unit, and not go broke, you might look at the VOX TONE LAB EX. The bigger one, not it's baby brother. I tried one of these and was SHOCKED how heavy the rythm sounded. It lets you stack an overdrive on top of a high gain amp model and it behaves a lot like a pedal with an amp. It's got an actual tube built in which helps smile.gif

Also, the wah is great as it's got two vox wah pedals built in. You can get one used for pretty cheap.

http://www.voxamps.com/tonelabex

QUOTE (AdamB @ Jan 27 2015, 07:30 AM) *
You're right about the high gain stuff not being all that, though. I find the biggest problem with the medium/high gain stuff is getting a good rhythm sound.

I currently use it live with a couple of the line6 stagesource speakers and it's good, clean sounds are great, lead sounds are great, but the rhythm dirty sounds are a bit horrible.

I'm toying with pairing the pod with a tube amp to see what can be done. The problem is the rig grows in size (and weight!) quite fast, and means a lot more gear to take to gigs.

So, I already have those stagesource speakers I use with the pod, and a few tube amp heads and a 2x12 cab with an attenuator. The attenuator has a line out, so I figure I could run the guitar to the pod HD, run some FX before the amp on there, then take the signal out of the FX send and into the amp head, then through the amp and attenuator, then take the the dry signal into the 2x12 cabinet and take another copy of the signal out from the attenuator via the line out back into the return on the pod, and then run a cabinet emulation with all the post-amp effects (reverb, delay, flange etc.) and then send that out to the stereo stagesource things.

That way I can use the pod HD for the clean sounds still (which it's really good at) and then put the signal through the tube amp for the dirty/lead sounds. And it will also be very useable whilst playing, I can switch my whole rig around by pressing a single footswitch still.

But yea, problem is the send/return in the pod is noisey and has low quality DAC/ADC as you say, but for live work it might not matter so much. And it means a lot more gear to cart to gigs.

I'll try it and maybe post some videos...

-Adam

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 29 2015, 09:02 AM
GMC Founder
@AdamB - maybe this one could complement your line6 unit while remaining somewhat portable?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 29 2015, 05:05 PM
Another fine unit! You'd be toting two floor units around of course, but this one is very small so not a huge addition to gear but you'd need to run power for this one as well. You may consider strapping both to a big pedal board so you could locate power on the board.

THis board might be a good option as a replacement for the line 6 though, as might the Vox. The line 6 is great at what it does well, but it does have a weak spot on rythm. I've not tried the product in this video but I'm looking forward to it!

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 29 2015, 04:02 AM) *
@AdamB - maybe this one could complement your line6 unit while remaining somewhat portable?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 29 2015, 05:11 PM

+Quote Post
AdamB
Jan 29 2015, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

I'd love to get new gear, but I'm going to have to find a solution which doesn't involve spending much money! And I've no room left in my house to store more gear, I have a single, small room that's just packed with equipment now.

I agree the stagesource speakers are awesome, I really love them. The singer I work with ended up getting the bigger brothers, the l3's to use as a PA, and they are really great. Pricey though, I only justified it to myself by doubling them up as 'monitors' for use in my 'studio' while practicing, so I can run pod farm 2 out of the computer + whatever I'm playing along to (click or drumtrack or whatever).

At present, my entire equipment list is;
2 stagesource l2m speakers
Peavey windsor head
A custom 18watt marshall style head
2x12 cabinet (goes with the 18watter, but I use the peavey through this via an attenuator)
HotPlate attenuator
Blackstar HT-5 head with matching 1x10 cabinet.
Line6 Pod HD Pro rack unit + Floorboard for switching
Seymour Duncan twin tube classic overdrive
Digitech EX-7 multieffects
Boss SD-1 overdrive
Boss DS-1 distortion
DanElectro Cool Cat Metal distortion
Digitech stereo digital reverb pedal
Morley Bad Horsie 2 wah
Dito looper

I have a pedalboard, which I don't use at gigs but I have at home which can hold the wah, the 2 boss pedals, the looper and a tuner + the power supply and that's it. Not much room on there.

At the moment all I usually take is the line 6 pod, the 2 stagesource speaker and the floorboard to control the pod and that's it. It all fits in the car perfectly, it's easy to move and sounds good. Only issues are the rhythm sound, and reliability. I've had no trouble so far, but if that pod dies I'm doomed!

I could in theory go amp-only and ditch the line 6, but then I loose all the pedal switching (I have to stomp them manually and do that horrible tap-dance, or choreograph my sequences of turning things on and off in songs so that it always sounds OK). And I loose all the added stuff I get from the pod, line phasers/flangers/delays etc. And the clarity I get from having those things after the amp modelling, I'd have to feed my reverb for example into the valve power amp. Hmmm...

-Adam

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 29 2015, 07:38 PM
I hear ya!! In that case, I'd say grab your overdrive pedals. Use them as a clean boost and bass trim for your rythm channel on the line 6 floor unit. The biggest problem I found was that there wasn't a good way to trim the bass out of the input for the rythm sounds resulting in flubby sound. If you use the overdrive pedals with the distortion knob down and tone knob up, it will trim the extra bass off the signal and make the rythm sound more crunchy and less flubby.

You'll need to put the pedal BEFORE the input on the line 6. This means stomping 2 things to get your rythm sound though.

Todd

+Quote Post
AdamB
Jan 31 2015, 01:30 PM
I'll give that a try, I have a gig tomorrow so I'll mess around with it in soundcheck.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 31 2015, 06:48 PM
Let us know how it goes!

QUOTE (AdamB @ Jan 31 2015, 08:30 AM) *
I'll give that a try, I have a gig tomorrow so I'll mess around with it in soundcheck.

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 2 2015, 08:38 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Cool, line6 makes nice stuff, but so far I rather stick to BOSS for non recording purposes. Not that I'm really up to date on the latest guitar gadgets though smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Spock
Feb 3 2015, 09:27 AM
WOW!!! I LOVE that interface!!!!

Sliders instead of those tiny knobs.

I agree, the Pod Hi Gain stuff is lame, but the FX are great - and it's a great unit to drive FX and channel switching through your amp and cleans up the clutter of a bunch of pedals - but for recording, you guys have got me hooked on direct. Even if the direct goes through my Marshall. I like a blend of both. Loving Amplitude Custom Shop as well.

TH2 is killer, but I never took the $200 leap after my limited time periods ran out.

This post has been edited by Spock: Feb 3 2015, 09:28 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:56 AM