Question On Alternate Picking/ Three Notes Per String, Dealing with problems of the right hand
dairwolf
Apr 24 2012, 12:29 PM
GMC:er

Hey everyone, I´m new to this forum and this is my very first post. Maybe my below questions have been answered already somewhere in the forum but when I did a search I couldn´t find the answers I´m looking for. I have a what I think a very specific question about alternate picking.

I´ll try to keep this short, but I´m afraid it might rather get long. My questions concern three note per string patterns and alternae picking in general.
I´ll use tabulature to illustrate my problems. Here we go, starting with a three note per string-pattern:

u d (u) d u (d) u d (u) d u (d)
E--15-14-12----------------/---15-14-12--------------
B--------------15-14-12----/---------------15-14-12--

So here we have a three note per string pattern which is beeing played repeatedly, starting with an upstroke, all alternate picking. I used paranthesis to exaggerate my problem parts.

My question regarding this lick now is:

When the right hand changes from the high e string to the lower b string with an upstroke, do you ONLY hit the e string and move the pick in a way that it doesn´t hit the b string, or do you hit BOTH the e string AND the b string and mute the be string with the index finger of the left hand, so that it doesn´t ring?

This is the same lick, but this time starting with a downstroke, again I emphasised the problem part:

d u d u d (u) (d) u d u d (u)
E--15-14-12----------------/---15-14-12--------------
B--------------15-14-12----/---------------15-14-12--

This time the question is: After you hit the last note on the b string, do you do some extra move to avoid hitting the b string again when doing the upward movement, or do you hit both the b string and the e string, muting the b string with the index finger of the left hand?

I guess you understand my problem so I won´t post examples considering five note per string patterns cause it´s basically the same.

Sorry that this post got rather long, but I think it covers a very important point regarding alternate picking.

Best regards, Tobi

I´m sorry that the right hand description got messed up, maybe someone can fix it for me?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 25 2012, 09:39 AM
Instructor
hehe, guess the guys got here first smile.gif follow the advices and you'll do just great!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:34 PM