2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Injury, Will it ever go away.. :(
SonofDestiny
Jun 1 2009, 12:18 PM
GMC:er
Hey GMC,

As some of you may know, I've been struggling with this guitarinjury in my left forearm for almost a year now. It started when I began practising a lot more and when I started working out heavier (because I was taking creatine). I don't think my tendons were able to cope with that. The muscles on the downside of my forearm (the ones connected to my ring and middlefinger) are always tense, I have relatively little grip with my left hand, I can't lay down my arm without hurting it, repetitive movements result in painful strain.

Since it started I've been feeling better and worse on and off. I went to see the doctor, the physiotherapist, the osteopath... The osteopath was the only thing that worked for me, but did not really take it all away.

Last Friday my arm got stuck between a door that was slammed... exactly on the spot where the tendons were already under attack. Went to the doctor again... she told me to take rest. Problem is: I just can't take rest from the guitar. I just gotta pick it up, because I'm scared I will stop making progress. Funny thing is though... with all this strain in my arm, I don't think I'll be making any progress this way. It's weird that only now I'm realizing that. Right now I'm really scared that I'll never be able to play the guitar without strain again. I mean, I can't even bend a string downward without pain.. I would do anything to get rid of the injury. Even if it means saying goodbye to the gym and guitar for a year. sad.gif

I don't know if you guys can tell me whether I'll be okay or what I should do. If you do.. I'd love to hear it. smile.gif

In case I have to quit playing guitar for a year. What kind of exercises can I do away from the guitar? And will there be any point in doing exercises when you can't play?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AdamB
Jun 1 2009, 12:35 PM
Sounds pretty bad man,

I dunno if it'll get better but you could do something creative instead -

When I hurt my arm a little about 2 months ago, I decided to stop playing for 2 weeks. But then I was worried I wouldn't improve at all so I decided to continue playing, but only using my right hand. So, I stuck a string dampener on and started learning to play the fretboard with my right hand only. It's helped my tapping loads in quite a short space of time and I now do this for an hour every 2 days, just tapping through ionian and locrian modes with only my right hand fingers as if I was using my left hand, I think it'll be really useful when it improves, I think this is something stanley jordan uses quite a lot.

I also started doing a lot more theory work, writing out scales and chords to the scales aroudn the circle of fifths for an hour a day.

It took effort to force myself to do that, as it's quite boring at first, but it was worth it.

If you did that right hand stuff for a whole year, think of what cool stuff you could do with arps. tapping when you get to add your left hand back in...

One of my uni lecturers used to say that creativity stems from having to work around obstacles.

-Adam

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jun 1 2009, 12:38 PM
AH! Yeah that's an awesome idea biggrin.gif Thanks!

I was thinking of just working on my right hand picking technique as well. I will have to cuff my left hand though tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Jun 1 2009, 12:42 PM
Well I was going to say you could spend the time trying to find a suitable forum avatar, but it seems you've already got that sorted! wink.gif

No, honestly, that really sucks. Learn to play the other way around? Restring it upside down. Go be Hendrix.

--------------------
Want a website for you or your band? http://www.websiteformyband.com

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 1 2009, 12:44 PM
Instructor
That sounds bad man!

Take a brake and perhaps do some harmony, theory, ear training, arranging , composing ! Use guitar pro or DAW to input midi parts smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jun 1 2009, 12:44 PM
@ Darfuria: Hahahaha yeah I do tongue.gif

Maybe I should try that as well. Good thing I'm left-handed originally... not sure if that's going to help me though!

@ Pedja: Good idea smile.gif What is the difference between harmony and theory by the way?

This post has been edited by SonofDestiny: Jun 1 2009, 12:46 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 1 2009, 12:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Jun 1 2009, 01:44 PM) *
@ Pedja: Good idea smile.gif What is the difference between harmony and theory by the way?

Well they go together always. The good thing about harmony is that everything is possible, theory is there just to explain it why things are done certain way and to find logical explanation smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 1 2009, 01:05 PM
Instructor
I'm no expert but I truly hope it'll pass asap!
And yeah, you can do many things while you rest your fretting hand,
practice picking/strumming, learn music theory, mess around with DAWs, VSTs etc. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jun 1 2009, 01:17 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
That sucks George. My advice would be to rest it until if feels better. Man.....I hope you get better dude. Do like Pedja said.....work on your ear and theory and Harmony. These are things that most players never work on because we all want to play....take advantage of this and when you are back to 100% you will be better for it. smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Jun 1 2009, 01:19 PM
try to learn to play it left handed... cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jun 1 2009, 01:20 PM
Instructor
Your story sounds like something very serious. I would stop doing any hard activity with the arm as long as I feel any pain. It's never too late to play guitar even if you have to start from scratch. But you won't start from scratch because you can't forget it just like that. It's much like when you learn how to swim. For serious progress you need to be heathy and with no thoughts that you can make things worse. Forget about guitar for a while and do some theory, recording, listen to music etc... Your hands are more important than anything else. When you feel the pain is gone then you can slowly start playing again and I'm sure that you'll catch up much quicker than you thought without thinking of hurting your hands.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 1 2009, 03:15 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Sorry to hear about that sad.gif

It was really unlucky to have that door slamming your arm too... I'd follow doctor's advice and give it some serious rest. Otherwise you can make it go much worse. If there's something true in life is that, no matter what, things can get even worse!, so take a look on the bright side: you are not there yet and you will avoid it resting that arm!

I'd give it a whole month of total rest, then carefully try again, if it' still hurt, add another month.

In the meantime you can make yourself an expert DAW user, maybe learn to program some drums & bass lines, & read some theory. It will all be good to have under your belt when you are ready to rock again smile.gif

This post has been edited by Fran: Jun 1 2009, 03:16 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
besip
Jun 1 2009, 04:25 PM
I also injured almost 6 month now and i have similar quitar discontinuation symptoms rolleyes.gif
i afraid to stop making progres and i can be without quitar
actualy i wery lazy to get ono theory which is bad i know smile.gif

like u write i have also good days and bad days so when i'm ok i'm play but when i'm start feel a pain i'm always stop!!!

I belive u can train some slow stuff combine with fast right picking hands movevemts as Muris recomedet to you
I not sure what kind of music like but with good right hands and fast picking with some palm muting{with right} and slow movements with your left you can create great Metal music!!!!!!!!!!!
yeeaahhh you not be able to play everything but some group play attention for the right hand instead left and creating really great music

can you imagine stop play for 1 year with booth hands?????? nooooooooooooo you don't smile.gif
and can you imagine how you right hand can be good after the 1 year smile.gif

i'm know i'ts sad but u will find your own way..belive me

Gl cool.gif

This post has been edited by besip: Jun 1 2009, 04:27 PM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 1 2009, 10:41 PM
Instructor
Sure you can give yourself a pause from the guitar, and carry on later. If you worry about your progress - don't be. Couple of weeks of focused training will get you back in the shape in no time, so this is not a big problem. Just take your time and remember that your health is the most important thing. You can find lots of useful stuff to do during that year. Do something that it is always recommended (music theory biggrin.gif ) and just enjoy music, and possibly learn to create and compose music on PC using VST instruments. This will be very valuable experience.
All the best mate, I wish you a speedy recovery. Cheers

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jun 3 2009, 09:40 PM
Harmony is chord relationships, melody is note relationships!

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jun 3 2009, 09:52 PM
Jazz Instructor
Keep the right hand going, don't rest, and keep the spirit up with good music...
Writing music is also good idea...

+Quote Post
sigma7
Jun 3 2009, 10:23 PM
i have the same problem as u bro sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Frank
Jun 4 2009, 06:39 AM
Man I know what is your problem. First of all you have a bad right hand, I’m shore and that is what making you to press hard on the sting .You have to stop doing any left hand practice, and try to do some alternate speed picking and also palm muting techniques. Try to learn a solo in a 150 bpm or higher than you don’t have time to press hard on the sting .This type of playing will teach you how to play with out pressing hard on the string.

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jun 4 2009, 04:01 PM
Yeah it definately has something to do with me pressing the strings too hard. I've tried to play really really easily on my arm, so with little strength and it almost felt good.

Is it okay to feel strained when you're playing? I mean, a little bit of strain: is that natural?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bedlam
Jun 5 2009, 06:52 PM
I had a tendon injury last year that required surgery on my fretting hand. It took a while to recover and then even more time for me to get motivated to play again, but finally I'm recovered and motivated. I think the best advice I can give is to give it some time to heal properly, you don't want to reinjure yourself. Your arm is more important than your guitar skills. I would practice on ear training, learning music software, look for other ways to stay motivated, etc...

Take it easy when you are ready to get back into it - practice no more than 15-20 min a day for the first week and gradually increase playing time, build up strength, go slow, and DON'T SHRED (I didn't follow any of these and it led to even longer downtime)!

This post has been edited by Bedlam: Jun 5 2009, 06:54 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:41 AM