Best Cabinet- Cost Wise And Sound Wise, For my Line 6 SPIDER III hd45
iamblackmo
Sep 4 2008, 06:36 PM
GMC:er
I started playing guitar when I was 14, played for two years, learning really only stuff power-chord centric like korn, green day, and etc...

I had three guitars, including a RG570, which Ibanez no longer makes. I sold them all when I was 17 because I had other interests than learn how to play music. At the same time, I also got rid of my Line 6 Spider II amp. (old school, with red trim).

I loved my RG570 and I miss it dearly.

I decided to start playing again, and to become much more aggressive in terms of finding and learning new music and developing talent, and that is really thanks to this site!

Anyways, long story short. I was able to procure, at the age of 24, another electric guitar! YAY!. I was on a tight budget but found a great deal.

I paid 280 for a Ibanez S470. Other than the fact it does not have the same quality humbuckers that my RG had, a smaller and thicker fret board, I am really enjoying her but I have no amp and was running it through a pocket pod till i could afford a decent 75w + amp.

Finally, I purchased a Line 6 head for 150 dollars. It was a used SPIDER III HD75, I have no cabinet. I am currently running it through my stereo and it is working fine, i guess. I do need suggestions on a speaker cabinet, as I am sure I will get better sound from that than my stereo.

Did I get a good deal on this amp, or should I keep my eyes open for something else. Honestly, I wanted a Marshall.

Do I need to stick with a Line 6 cabinet or can i deviate?

TY

Edited for drug reference /Micke on the behalf of the moderating team

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MickeM: Sep 4 2008, 06:42 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Sep 4 2008, 06:54 PM
QUOTE (iamblackmo @ Sep 4 2008, 01:36 PM) *
Finally, I purchased a Line 6 head for 150 dollars. It was a used SPIDER III HD75, I have no cabinet. I am currently running it through my stereo and it is working fine, i guess. I do need suggestions on a speaker cabinet, as I am sure I will get better sound from that than my stereo.

The issue that you have with a modelling amp is that you're not going to want to use a regular guitar cabinet. "Normal" guitar cabinets have speakers in them that have a particular sound. THey distort and change the sound of what's being sent to them. It's a good thing.

Modelling amps generally add the sound of a cabinet to the simulation, which will make it sound weird through a normal cabinet...not that it's necessarily wrong...but many folks don't like it. You don't necessarily need an cab from Line6 but you'll need something that's built to be accurate to the input signal. Monitors, ketboard, PA cabinets....stuff like that.

Did I get a good deal on this amp, or should I keep my eyes open for something else. Honestly, I wanted a Marshall.

Value's a little subjective. The HD75's seem to go for $200-ish on eBay though.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 4 2008, 07:50 PM
Instructor
I think that Spider head has a guitar cab option Scott, and it is a good thing to buy one of course. The sound from a guitar cab is of course the real thing. No stereo can replace it.

Now for the guitar cab, what does you SPider head has in the back, what sort of outputs? How much Ohm, how many Watts?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
iamblackmo
Sep 4 2008, 08:36 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 4 2008, 02:50 PM) *
I think that Spider head has a guitar cab option Scott, and it is a good thing to buy one of course. The sound from a guitar cab is of course the real thing. No stereo can replace it.

Now for the guitar cab, what does you SPider head has in the back, what sort of outputs? How much Ohm, how many Watts?

Yes, I completely agree, my stereo is high end but can never be comparable to a good cabinet.

Here are the amps specs...Model : Spider III HD75

4 Ohm Minimum. "Speaker outs-Class 2" wiring"

Pictures included...

This post has been edited by iamblackmo: Sep 4 2008, 08:43 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 4 2008, 09:53 PM
Instructor
I don't know what class 2 wiring means, but if it says 4Ohms, than it would be best to put 4Ohm cabinet on it. There are a lot of 4Ohm cabs, I don't know where you're from, because prices and cab availability can vary from location to location. Avatar cabs are a good cheap option, but not sure if you can find them.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Sep 4 2008, 09:54 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:37 AM