Mtp Beginners Syllabus Guide
Chris Evans
Jan 8 2009, 02:02 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Syllabus Guide For the Beginners Mentored Training Program

The following is a guide syllabus for Mentors to follow at the start of their MTP program, the basis of this has been taken from the pilot MTP run by Kris, you can of course add and amend if you wish (by choosing different lessons etc) but the areas to begin working on should be followed as set out below.

(Kris`s MTP pilot can be viewed and used for reference if required HERE)

Objective/Goals:

The purpose of the Mentor Program is to provide beginner level members (mentoree`s) an opportunity to interact one on one with more experienced members (mentors).
During the program the "mentor" will provide his/her students with advice, on how to progress and improve their current level of playing ability with the use of lessons from the GMC archives.
In the initial stages of the MTP the student should be given a basic grounding on Timing & rhythm, Soloing and Finger exercises, after this period, the mentor can assess areas that require more work and take the program in the appropriate direction.

Homework:

Each week the student will be set an assignment to work on throughout the week and post his/her progress in video format during or at the end of the assignment period, to begin with the weekly plan set out below should be used as a guide before moving into more specific areas.

Weekly Plan

Week 1

Timing & rhythm (Part 1)
-Chords to a backing track

Beginner- Strumming and Arpeggios

Goal - To play the whole lesson.

Purpose - practice timing and sense of rhythm. If this lesson gives problems - it will be a useful discovery. Dealing with the problem will help progress to the next level.

instructions
- A Video showing progress should be provided playing with the backing provided (slower backings can of course be used)

Week 2

Timing & Rhythm (Part 2)

A choice of three lessons : Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple , Blues Groove Library - Part 1 , Alice in Chains style lesson

Goal - To choose one of the suggested lessons and be able to play at least half of the lesson to a backing track (slow or fast backing)

purpose - To build on and develop a solid rhythm and timing foundation.

Instruction - Video showing progress should be provided by the end of the deadline period.

Week 3

Soloing

A choice of three lessons : John Frusciante Style lesson , Slow Pentatonics Lesson , Tarantella Rock

Goal - To play a minimum of 20 seconds with backing of the chosen lesson.

Purpose - To introduce soloing, offering help and advice for the best way to overcome any difficulties that may arise for the student.

instruction - Video showing progress during or by the end of the deadline period.

Week 4

Finger Workouts/Exercise

Alternate Picking - thirds Lesson

Goal - To play a minimum of one pattern up and down accross all six strings to either a backing or metronome.

Purpose - Alternate picking Introduction and new fingering positions. (Please note that care should be taken with these kind of exercise lessons, they involve finger stretches that a beginner student may not be used to, therefore proper "warm up" should be advised before attempting)

Instruction - To upload a video showing progress by the agreed deadline.

As stated at the start, this is a "guide" syllabus and is not set in stone for what must be used, you can choose other lessons, but to begin with for the beginning weeks these areas should be focused on

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 8 2009, 02:22 PM
GMC:er
Great man, we'll start on it rightaway biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 8 2009, 02:35 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Great thanks for this. Specific question regarding my mentoree Ben. As he already has done most of these (first weeks), do you agree that those parts are not applicable in exactly the same format for me to follow.

Of course I will focus on those points mentioned, however it seems a bit demotivating to do the same lessons again.

Please let me know your thoughts smile.gif

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 8 2009, 03:01 PM
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Jan 8 2009, 01:35 PM) *
Great thanks for this. Specific question regarding my mentoree Ben. As he already has done most of these (first weeks), do you agree that those parts are not applicable in exactly the same format for me to follow.

Of course I will focus on those points mentioned, however it seems a bit demotivating to do the same lessons again.

Please let me know your thoughts smile.gif

I did think of that whilst writing this up actually, I think maybe what you can do is have a good delve through the GMC lessons and find some different lessons that Ben hasnt tried before but still working on the timing, rhythm and exercise elements , its all good practice, but yes I totally agree that to make him redo the same lessons could be demotivating.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jan 8 2009, 03:04 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
QUOTE (Smells @ Jan 8 2009, 09:01 AM) *
I did think of that whilst writing this up actually, I think maybe what you can do is have a good delve through the GMC lessons and find some different lessons that Ben hasnt tried before but still working on the timing, rhythm and exercise elements , its all good practice, but yes I totally agree that to make him redo the same lessons could be demotivating.

I'll do whatever you guys need me to do! New lessons, the same lessons...whatever you need!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 8 2009, 03:10 PM
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jan 8 2009, 02:04 PM) *
I'll do whatever you guys need me to do!

Can you walk on coals singing and playing "I'm Walking On Sunshine" tongue.gif biggrin.gif

Infact that sounds like fun I might give it a go smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 8 2009, 03:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Smells @ Jan 8 2009, 03:01 PM) *

I will certainly do that, next assignment will be involving chords, arpeggio's. Thanks for the 'freedom' of chosing around alternatives in this particular case smile.gif

QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jan 8 2009, 03:04 PM) *
I'll do whatever you guys need me to do! New lessons, the same lessons...whatever you need!

Great attitude smile.gif, we will find a nice mix to get going covering the topics mentioned.

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jan 8 2009, 03:19 PM

--------------------

Guitars & Amps
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
jer
Jan 8 2009, 03:30 PM
Can has me pickiing up his drycleaning and washing his car.

I don't see that on here though.....

ohmy.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 8 2009, 03:31 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jer @ Jan 8 2009, 03:30 PM) *
Can has me pickiing up his drycleaning and washing his car.

I don't see that on here though.....

ohmy.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Good suggestions, I might implement the same smile.gif

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jan 8 2009, 03:32 PM

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Jan 8 2009, 04:09 PM
Learning Tone Master
Just to clarify things, can I ask when the first week starts officially? Is it 4 weeks from this coming monday? Or as of today?

QUOTE (Smells @ Jan 8 2009, 01:02 PM) *
Syllabus Guide For the Beginners Mentored Training Program

The following is a guide syllabus for Mentors to follow at the start of their MTP program, the basis of this has been taken from the pilot MTP run by Kris, you can of course add and amend if you wish (by choosing different lessons etc) but the areas to begin working on should be followed as set out below.

(Kris`s MTP pilot can be viewed and used for reference if required HERE)

Objective/Goals:

The purpose of the Mentor Program is to provide beginner level members (mentoree`s) an opportunity to interact one on one with more experienced members (mentors).
During the program the "mentor" will provide his/her students with advice, on how to progress and improve their current level of playing ability with the use of lessons from the GMC archives.
In the initial stages of the MTP the student should be given a basic grounding on Timing & rhythm, Soloing and Finger exercises, after this period, the mentor can assess areas that require more work and take the program in the appropriate direction.

Homework:

Each week the student will be set an assignment to work on throughout the week and post his/her progress in video format during or at the end of the assignment period, to begin with the weekly plan set out below should be used as a guide before moving into more specific areas.

Weekly Plan

Week 1

Timing & rhythm (Part 1)
-Chords to a backing track

Beginner- Strumming and Arpeggios

Goal - To play the whole lesson.

Purpose - practice timing and sense of rhythm. If this lesson gives problems - it will be a useful discovery. Dealing with the problem will help progress to the next level.

instructions
- A Video showing progress should be provided playing with the backing provided (slower backings can of course be used)

Week 2

Timing & Rhythm (Part 2)

A choice of three lessons : Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple , Blues Groove Library - Part 1 , Alice in Chains style lesson

Goal - To choose one of the suggested lessons and be able to play at least half of the lesson to a backing track (slow or fast backing)

purpose - To build on and develop a solid rhythm and timing foundation.

Instruction - Video showing progress should be provided by the end of the deadline period.

Week 3

Soloing

A choice of three lessons : John Frusciante Style lesson , Slow Pentatonics Lesson , Tarantella Rock

Goal - To play a minimum of 20 seconds with backing of the chosen lesson.

Purpose - To introduce soloing, offering help and advice for the best way to overcome any difficulties that may arise for the student.

instruction - Video showing progress during or by the end of the deadline period.

Week 4

Finger Workouts/Exercise

Alternate Picking - thirds Lesson

Goal - To play a minimum of one pattern up and down accross all six strings to either a backing or metronome.

Purpose - Alternate picking Introduction and new fingering positions. (Please note that care should be taken with these kind of exercise lessons, they involve finger stretches that a beginner student may not be used to, therefore proper "warm up" should be advised before attempting)

Instruction - To upload a video showing progress by the agreed deadline.

As stated at the start, this is a "guide" syllabus and is not set in stone for what must be used, you can choose other lessons, but to begin with for the beginning weeks these areas should be focused on

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 8 2009, 04:11 PM
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Jan 8 2009, 03:09 PM) *
Just to clarify things, can I ask when the first week starts officially? Is it 4 weeks from this coming monday? Or as of today?

Lets get cracking straight away! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:04 PM