5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Boson Mentored By Uncleskillet, I wanna make it cry and sing!
Boson
Feb 24 2009, 06:53 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Uncleskillet and my fellow mentees.

Just wanted to say that I am really pleased that you are going to be my mentor. I have watched what you have been doing with Skennington and like the fact that you dont let him get away with much! lol I need a mentor to keep me focused as I tend to jump aound from one lesson to another!

I guess the time zone gap between us might slow things a little but Im sure that we can get round that.

By the way my real name is Tony.

Looking forward to getting started.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Better to live one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 24 2009, 10:26 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Tony smile.gif Glad to have you here and I'm looking forward to working with you. Please look at my "Role Call" thread and if you have any questions let me know.

You can call me Jeff.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Boson
Feb 24 2009, 10:50 PM
Hi

About me, I am 48 (an oficial old git!), British but live in Spain, I am a teacher of Physics. I like most music andwithin the last year have tried to learn how to surf, ski, learn Spanish and play the guitar. So yes I like a challenge and like to keep busy.

How long have I been playing kind of has two answers.

Firstly "forever"! as I first picked up a guitar something like 33 years ago and learned a few chords. But then I went into the navy and guitar was forgotten about. When I left the navy and became a student I again picked up the guitar. Couldn't afford lessons, so tried to learn from records and sheet music. Sheet music then was awful but I became reasonable at 3 chord strums, mostly Beatles songs. After a couple of years of this I was sort of frustrated with the guitar and marriage, career and child came along so guitar didn't get much of a chance! However I kept an acoustic in the corner of the bedroom and would pick it up every now and again! My love of guitar music never went away! It was always an itch wanting to be scratched!

Last year I moved from the UK to Spain and in my career gave up a lot of responsibility. My daughter was older, my wife was glad to see me less stressed about work and suddenly I had a lot more time on my hands. So the guitar itch came to the fore and I bought a strat copy from ebay. I soon realised that three chords wernt enough anymore and discovered GMC and found that there was now much more help and resources around to help learning guitar. I now have a house full of guitars again and a real determination to learn properly.

So secondly and in short I am again a beginner, probably with a few bad habits to break.

My strong points.
Well I know and am comfortable with most basic open and barre chords. Muris's arpegio and chords lesson wasn,t bad for me. I can do the barre F which a lot struggle with. My only other strong points would probably be my enthusiasm and determination to do well. I am really starting at the beginning with solo and lead playing. Lessons that are graded at 2 or 3 or 4 are about where I am at.

What I want to learn./Weak points?
I want to learn everything! I'm not really impressed by speed or shredding for the sake of it! I like melody and my heart lies in 70's rock (you like what you grow up with I guess). I need to learn more theory, improve with rythym playing, learn more scales, licks etc etc etc. My aim really is to be able to pick up a guitar and jam with others who say "yeah he can play a bit". Blues and rock would be the areas I would lean towards.

I have set myself the target of wowing the kids at school next christmas with this https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...t-adolphe-adam/

Yes I have a webcam, just need to work it better! I dont really have a practice routine, hopefully that is where you can help the most by keeping me focussed on small incremental improvements.

Timewise, I have to keep a balance between time with guitar and my wife and daughter and my work but I aim to practice at least an hour a day and hopefully more on most days.

Sorry this is a long post.

Thanks.
I will post a couple of links to give you and idea of my current playing ability shortly!

This post has been edited by Boson: Feb 24 2009, 10:52 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 25 2009, 01:39 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks Tony for the great introduction and information. I can tell you’re very anxious to get started and so am I.

I want to wait for samples of your current playing before we move on. This will help in building a lesson plain.

Marcus’s “O-Holy Night” is a great recording and if we work hard together we should be able to get you there by x-mas. wink.gif

By the way, what are some of your favorite bands and music you enjoy?

Jeff

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Boson
Feb 25 2009, 03:05 PM
Hi Jeff

Two recent recordings that show my current level of playing

Attached File  Lomand.mp3 ( 1.25MB ) Number of downloads: 241

Attached File  Apache1.mp3 ( 4.15MB ) Number of downloads: 252

Its hard to say who are my favourite bands as I like all music. But I'm mostly into 70s rock (Deep Purple, Free, Bad Company, Frampton, The Stones etc etc) I really like Santana and even like the odd bit of country. U2, Springsteen you name it I probably like it. I try to have an open mind and will listen to anything. Heavy metal wouldnt be my favourate.

What about you what are you into?

I will try to record takes with the webcam while we do this so that you can better judge how I am doing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 26 2009, 12:55 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
After looking over your information I have picked out 2 lesson I would like you to take a look at. I would like you to work on both at the same time if possible. Since you say you can practice at least 1 hour a day lets do this.

30 minutes with https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...library-part-1/

30 minutes with https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...loing-beginner/

If you have extra time to spend then split it up however you would like between the 2

Let me know what you think.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Boson
Feb 26 2009, 07:36 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Feb 26 2009, 01:55 AM) *
After looking over your information I have picked out 2 lesson I would like you to take a look at. I would like you to work on both at the same time if possible. Since you say you can practice at least 1 hour a day lets do this.

30 minutes with https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...library-part-1/

30 minutes with https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...loing-beginner/

If you have extra time to spend then split it up however you would like between the 2

Let me know what you think.

Cheers Jeff, I got the blues! biggrin.gif

Just what I need.

Thought with the first lesson I would do a recording of each shuffle pattern to send to you and then eventually do a longer recording where I amalgamate some of them like Ivan does in his opening video. I am fairly comfortable with the basic shuffle but the turnarounds and what I call "twiddly bits" are new to me. Exactly what I want to learn though!

Second lesson is cool too. I had had a little look at it and found the phrasing in the first few bars hard to make sound good but practice practice practice I guess. Do you recommend using a metronome. My gut feeling is that this almost goes against "the blues" but all the instructors say its necessary.

Guitar has to take second place today as I am out trying to learn Spanish from a very prety seniorita. Learning spanish is even harder than learning guitar for me!

Anyway thanks for your help, take care.

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 27 2009, 12:23 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I am glad you like the lessons Tony smile.gif

I would like at minimum of 1 upload a week for each lesson. Of course more is better if your having problems or need a question answered. Sound do able?

About the metronome. Yes playing with one is a good idea but for this lesson I'm not sure it is nessecary. If you want to just practice with the backing tracks that should be fine. Blues is based a lot on feel and you need to train your ear as well to find the blues grove.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Boson
Mar 1 2009, 07:47 PM
Hi Jeff

Just to let you kno how things are going.

With the Blues grooves lesson I think I am ok with the first two patterns at about 90 or 100bpm not quite there yet at 120 with the endings. But will get there! Not tried the others yet.

With the blues solo lesson I am up to speed on the first 6 bars. Bar 7 is tricky for me so am slowing it down in a bid to master it.

I had hoped to upload a couple of progress vids for you but I have mucked up all my settings and nothing works! So will have to sort them out. Hopefully will have something for you in a couple of days.

Cheers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Mar 1 2009, 08:32 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks for the update and checking in. I hope you get things worked out. Post your progress when you can.

I have already picked out a few others things for you so we'll decide whats best for you once we get finished with these.

Cheerio's

--------------------

+Quote Post
Boson
Mar 5 2009, 08:21 PM
Hi Jeff

I'm sorry not to have uploaded yet. I'm really frustrated and cheesed off at the moment! Can't get my cam software to record any sound at the moment!

I could send you a "Silent Movie" and you can imagine how brilliant my playing is! :lol

Seriously though I will sort it out one way or another even if I have to throw some cash at it to get a new cam. I'm supposed to be good with computers!!!!

Because of this I dont feel I have made much progress this week. Im finding the second half of the solo difficult to get the phrasing and timing right. I play the notes but it sounds nothing like Ivan.

The grooves still about the same the basic shuffles ok but difficult to tag on the turnarounds smoothly. I think it will take a while to master them all! I'm old and slow cool.gif

Hopefully back soon with something for you to look at and comment on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Mar 6 2009, 01:56 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Sorry to hear that your having problems. I am really good with computers so let me know if you need some help. I just got my web cam setup correct last night. First install last week got messed up from an auto update and screwed up the audio settings.

Another thing you could do is record your audio into a DAW like Reaper while capturing video with the camera. Then you just sync the two files in Windows Movie Maker. Not sure what equipment you have but it's a thought.

Hope you can get it fixed some. I am looking forward to your uploads.

Let me know if I can help.

Jeff

--------------------

+Quote Post
Boson
Mar 7 2009, 09:54 AM
Hi Jeff

Will try to upload video later (I am going to try recording video and audio seperately as you suggest but never done that before so fingers crossed!). unsure.gif

Anyway here is an mp3 to show where I am up to with the solo lesson.

Attached File  BluesSolotake1.mp3 ( 879.44K ) Number of downloads: 304

Any comments suggestions greatly appreciated. Im still working on the last few bars. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Boson: Mar 7 2009, 10:33 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Mar 8 2009, 05:15 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Boson @ Mar 7 2009, 03:54 AM) *
Hi Jeff

Will try to upload video later (I am going to try recording video and audio seperately as you suggest but never done that before so fingers crossed!). unsure.gif

Anyway here is an mp3 to show where I am up to with the solo lesson.

Attached File  BluesSolotake1.mp3 ( 879.44K ) Number of downloads: 304

Any comments suggestions greatly appreciated. Im still working on the last few bars. smile.gif

This sounds good for a first take Tony!! smile.gif

Your tone is really nice for playing the blues and this lesson. tongue.gif

Just a few things I noticed where the bends weren't quite there, the vibrato could be better and the timing felt a little off beat. With the blues your timing is everything. You have to be right on the beat because everything usually is at a slower tempo. This all can be fixed with more time practicing this so it's not a big deal. Just a few things to think about while you finish the lesson.

It also sounds like your having a problem with your right hand moving up and down. Are you using mostly down strokes where the timing is off?

Thanks for the take! You sound like your on the way to becomming a great blues man! biggrin.gif cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Boson
Mar 8 2009, 12:13 PM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 8 2009, 05:15 AM) *
This sounds good for a first take Tony!! smile.gif

Your tone is really nice for playing the blues and this lesson. tongue.gif

Just a few things I noticed where the bends weren't quite there, the vibrato could be better and the timing felt a little off beat. With the blues your timing is everything. You have to be right on the beat because everything usually is at a slower tempo. This all can be fixed with more time practicing this so it's not a big deal. Just a few things to think about while you finish the lesson.

It also sounds like your having a problem with your right hand moving up and down. Are you using mostly down strokes where the timing is off?

Thanks for the take! You sound like your on the way to becomming a great blues man! biggrin.gif cool.gif

Thanks for the comments Jeff.

My wife is not impressed that the expensive guitars I bought are not being used and I have gone back to my ultra cheap strat copy to get that tone.! I think she is scared I'm going to go out and buy a real Strat! tongue.gif

You are right about bends still a bit hit and miss for me and vibrato is a bit of a mystery. Hopefully the timing will improve with practice.

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Mar 14 2009, 02:24 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Tony, everything will improve with practice and that is why we are all here.

How are things going? Are your computer issues fixed? I haven't seen you around and just wanted to see how things are going with your practicing and other stuff

Maybe I am giving you the little kick in the butt you asked me to do as well. biggrin.gif

Looking forward to your upload. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Boson
Mar 14 2009, 08:13 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 14 2009, 02:24 AM) *
Hi Tony, everything will improve with practice and that is why we are all here.

How are things going? Are your computer issues fixed? I haven't seen you around and just wanted to see how things are going with your practicing and other stuff

Maybe I am giving you the little kick in the butt you asked me to do as well. biggrin.gif

Looking forward to your upload. smile.gif

Cheers Jeff

Had a busy week at work this week and am in the process of buying a new car, for the last year or so I have been using my British car in Spain and its not easy driving as the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car so its time to splash out on a Spanish car. However I have been practicing guitar hard as much as I can.

I have done at least an hour a day and focussed mainly on the solo lesson. I have to admit that it has not been easy for me but I am getting there. Video 7 in the lesson is proving difficult to get up to anywhere near top speed! But dont worry I will get there! Beginning to think I am a very slow learner with guitar but I keep telling myself that this isnt a race. I just need to keep on making little steps. I have to say though that the MTP thing is great as you have kept me focussed as without it I would probably moved on to something else when the going got tough. So thanks for being there you are keeping me focussed on developing properly.

Not had time to sort out the computer yet but thats my job for today so fingers crossed and hopefully will have video for you this weekend. Bound to be a shocker! I think it was SKenny who said that the record button should say suck, thats the way it works for me too! biggrin.gif

Hopefully I will be ready for the next lesson by the end of the weekend.

How is your stuff with Muris going?

This post has been edited by Boson: Mar 14 2009, 09:48 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Mar 16 2009, 03:17 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Boson @ Mar 14 2009, 03:13 AM) *
Cheers Jeff

Had a busy week at work this week and am in the process of buying a new car, for the last year or so I have been using my British car in Spain and its not easy driving as the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car so its time to splash out on a Spanish car. However I have been practicing guitar hard as much as I can.

I have done at least an hour a day and focussed mainly on the solo lesson. I have to admit that it has not been easy for me but I am getting there. Video 7 in the lesson is proving difficult to get up to anywhere near top speed! But dont worry I will get there! Beginning to think I am a very slow learner with guitar but I keep telling myself that this isnt a race. I just need to keep on making little steps. I have to say though that the MTP thing is great as you have kept me focussed as without it I would probably moved on to something else when the going got tough. So thanks for being there you are keeping me focussed on developing properly.

Not had time to sort out the computer yet but thats my job for today so fingers crossed and hopefully will have video for you this weekend. Bound to be a shocker! I think it was SKenny who said that the record button should say suck, thats the way it works for me too! biggrin.gif

Hopefully I will be ready for the next lesson by the end of the weekend.

How is your stuff with Muris going?

Know worries Tony. Take care of what you need to. Getting a proper car sounds important.
I am glad you are still trying to find some time to practice.

Things with Muris are going well. Thanks for asking. I have been working on changing some issues with my picking technique. I'm slowing things down in hopes that I can soon take a giant leap forward with my playing. Feel free to check out the thread if you haven't already. You will see I need to get more comfortable when recording videos. Maybe after a few more the I suck button will go away.

Cheers Tony. Looking forward to another take from you. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Boson
Mar 25 2009, 08:37 PM
Hi Jeff

I'm sorry, I feel useless that I haven't uploaded a video for you yet! I feel useless! sad.gif

Its not that I lack enthusiasm or dedication, quite the opposite, just having a bad computer time at the moment.
I think my computer is telling me that it is tired and I have too much stuff on it and it needs a rest.

After everything crashed I have worked hard to get stuff up and running again. I can now take videos with my guitar sound but no backing! NOt a lot of use to you if you want to judge timing.

I can record guitar and backing using reaper, as long as I have the mp3 BT.

I have tried to merge the two using moviemaker but I keep on getting an error and it wont work!

I will get there eventually!

Anyway with regard to the solo lesson I think I am hitting a brick wall at the moment. I find the second to last video in the lesson very difficult and just cannot get the second part of that anywhere near right or up to speed.

Maybe I need to leeve this alone for a while and come back to it in a while. What do you think?

Thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Mar 26 2009, 12:11 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I'm sorry, I feel useless that I haven't uploaded a video for you yet! I feel useless!

Tony I don't want you to feel bad about anything. I want to make this a fun thing for you. Your not useless!

That said I would like use to figure out some sort of rhythm with lessons and uploads. What are your thoughts on this?

I can record guitar and backing using reaper, as long as I have the mp3 BT.

I have tried to merge the two using moviemaker but I keep on getting an error and it wont work!

Well we can always get the backing tracks for you so that shouldn't be an issue. What sort of error do you get? Can you post a screen shot maybe?

After I render an mp3 with Reaper I will usually shut Reaper down. Then I open Movie Maker, drag my video to the timeline and then drag and drop my mp3 on the Audio/Music timeline. After that you just move the audio file in the timeline by dragging it right/Left to get them synced.

We can also just start out working with an audio (mp3) upload for now to get us going. I am cool with this.

Anyway with regard to the solo lesson I think I am hitting a brick wall at the moment. I find the second to last video in the lesson very difficult and just cannot get the second part of that anywhere near right or up to speed.

Maybe I need to leeve this alone for a while and come back to it in a while. What do you think?

OK lets put it on the back burnner for now. I want you to look around and pick out a lesson that you want to work on and give me a small explaination of why you picked it and what it's going to help you improve.

Sound good? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:32 PM