> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Sumit's Chords And Melodies
sumitnxt
Sep 1 2012, 11:48 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Cosmin
coming back to the question
Knowing these smile.gif please harmonize the G major, E major and Ab major

using sharps instead of flats

G major
harmonizing rule = M m m M M m diminished M

G major scale = G // A // B / C // D // E // F# / G
G major can be harmonized using chords = GMaj - Ami - Bmi - CMaj - DMaj - Emi - F#dim - Gmaj
The notes of these chords are --- GMaj (GBD) - Ami (ACE) - Bmi (BDF#) - CMaj (CEG) - DMaj (DF#A) - Emi (EGB) - F#dim (F#AC)

E major scale = E // F# // G# / A // B // C# // D# / E
E major scale can be harmonized using chords = EMaj - F#mi - G#mi - AMaj - BMaj - C#mi - D#dim - EMaj
The notes of these chords are -------------------(EG#B ) (F#AC#) (G#BD#) (AC#E) (BD#F#) (C#EG#) (D#F#A)

Ab major scale = Ab Bb C Db Eb F G
Harmonization of Ab major scale with chords = Abmaj Bbmin Cmin Dbmaj Ebmaj Fmin Gdim
notes of the chords are - Ab C Eb // Bb Db F // and so on

notes
1. i understand that using triads like i have done above is one way of finding notes of the above major minor and diminished chords
2. i understand that another way is using the formulas (1 3 5 ) (1 b3 5 ) and ( 1 b3 b5 )

1 Question - even though i have done this exercise using sharps instead of flats - i am not sure what you mean when you said ---------
since we are dealing with major scales which do not imply the usage of flats (cool.gif from the first place (we have G major not Bb major for instance)
.. can you explain this in detail that when should sharps be used instead of flats ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by sumitnxt: Sep 1 2012, 11:50 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 2 2012, 09:16 PM
Instructor
Hey Sumit! Great observations and correct results!

Mate, check this out:

1) Triads and those formulas are one and the same thing smile.gif I never looked at them as being different things, meaning that I have deduced all my chords using formulas and never taking anything for granted - just because I knew those notes were making them up. I always tried to analyze and understand everything.

2) Are you familiar with the Circle of 5ths (4ths)? This circle is the answer to your question, regarding sharps or flats smile.gif If you don't know it, I will gladly explain it to you. But tell me if you know anything about it so far.

Cosmin

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 9 2012, 04:16 PM
Instructor
Alright Sumit!

Check this out - here's how I see an 8 hrs/ day schedule:

1hr - ear training - intervals, chords and sorting out a progression/ phrase out of a song or why not, even a whole song
1hr - legato
1h - alternate picking
1h - rhythm/ riffs
1h - theoretical aspects - tackling a concept and learning everything there is to know about it
1h - applied theory - applying what you have learned in the previous hour in a real context
1h - jamming
1h - composition/ songwriting/ orchestration

I think that 8 hrs is a lot, but I would be very happy if you would be able to keep up with such a schedule - what do you think?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
sumitnxt
Sep 9 2012, 05:14 PM
looks great smile.gif ... i will do it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 10 2012, 08:20 AM
Instructor
Good morning mate! Would you like me to set up some tasks for each hour, or do you already have something you were working on? smile.gif

+Quote Post
sumitnxt
Sep 10 2012, 09:17 AM
good morning cosmin - for a start of the plan can you set the tasks for today ? it would give me a good starting point . and also help you to assess my progress ?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 10 2012, 09:47 AM
Instructor
Sumit, before giving you stuff to work on, I was wondering if you could send me a recording of some sort, with yourself? It would be very useful, just so that I could see what your level is and what you should focus on smile.gif

Tell me what you think

Cosmin

+Quote Post
sumitnxt
Sep 10 2012, 07:40 PM
http://soundcloud.com/sumitnxt/guitar-recording

hi cosmin,

as i don't know any longer lick yet, i have played one of the small licks and played it for about 2 minutes .

rgds,

Sumit

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 11 2012, 08:55 AM
Instructor
Ok! Well, we will take things from the ground up then smile.gif

To start, I would like you to go through ALL of Bear Rose's beginner lessons! They encompass a lot of the things that we have discussed about and my suggestion would be to reduce the practicing regimen to only these, until you get a good grasp on your techniques and build up confidence:

1hr - ear training - intervals, chords and sorting out a progression/ phrase out of a song or why not, even a whole song
1hr - legato
1h - alternate picking
1h - rhythm/ riffs
1h - theoretical aspects - tackling a concept and learning everything there is to know about it

This week's tasks:

1) Please use the C major scale for the following drill:

- play the C note then play the D note (its second)
- play the C note and SING the D note smile.gif
- do this exercise with all the C major scale intervals until you can sing them relaxed against the C note

2) Ben's Land of Legato - First Lesson - It can be a good place to start - is it too difficult?
3) Ben's Picking Hand basics - it's imperative to go through it wink.gif
4) All of Bear Rose's Beginner Lessons involving chord shifting - if you get them clean, you're already in good terms with rhythm wink.gif
5) ALL of the theory behind the lessons above

What say you my friend - ARE YOU READY?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
sumitnxt
Sep 11 2012, 11:20 AM
thanks cosmin .. i appreciate the effort you are putting for me smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 11 2012, 03:39 PM
Instructor
Nothin to it mate! Let's see you get up there and become a great player!

+Quote Post
sumitnxt
Sep 22 2012, 08:10 PM
hey cosmin,

How are you ? I have been not quite able to follow the 8 hour plan. However I have tried to get myself to a good starting point for the last couple of days. I am sorry for not keeping you informed about my progress, a little bit of allowance in this matter would help me develop the teacher within me to keep me on track from within smile.gif

I am trying to get myself from becoming too serious about the whole guitar learning business and at the same time try to achieve excellence purely by spontaneity. Approaching guitar not as an instrument which has been mastered by others but as an instrument that allows itself to be mastered .

There is a certain way in which the guitar works and the theory of music is just an interpretation being followed . There could be many such interpretations yet to be explored. Masters of guitar do it after becoming masters . I am trying to explore it before i begin guitar in order to check whether the whole theory business is even necessary or not smile.gif

bottomline is i am enjoying it more than i enjoy listening or playing guitar and would request you to have patience with me while i make a fool out of me just for the sake of trying something smile.gif

bye for now.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 24 2012, 09:28 AM
Instructor
Hey Sumit! Yours is a very interesting approach - but mind you, this sort of dealing with the instrument takes MORE time involved as you are exploring now, not going on an already beaten path.

I will wait for you to tell me your conclusions after trying this. Keep in mind that music is a foreign language just like any other. Learning it and then using it to write stories is what everyone did, to a greater or smaller degree smile.gif

The choice is yours my friend, I am here either way wink.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
sumitnxt
Sep 24 2012, 10:12 AM
hi cosmin , here's what i have discovered uptil now -

sound and feelings are directly connected without any knowledge required smile.gif
i can sit and make tune without knowledge of scales and theory
If i keep working on tunes i will one day become a great composer . there would be ofcourse other people with knowledge on music who can provide bass for the tune , appropriate chords for the , percussions , vocals and so on.
I can learn all these but it will be not more important than composing a good melody.
If i learn scales i can jam on a backing track creating music on a fly , however if i choose to i can simply keep composing tunes and i have a reason to believe that such tunes would sound if not better at least equally good.

Another thing is that in order to create an great tune no amount of practice is required , Its a field of awareness that creates good tunes more than anything smile.gif .

Bottomline is that I already am a great composer, i just need to start believing in myself smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 25 2012, 08:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (sumitnxt @ Sep 24 2012, 09:12 AM) *
Bottomline is that I already am a great composer, i just need to start believing in myself smile.gif

True and not true in the same time wink.gif

If you only want to write songs, your imagination and A LOT of exercise will suffice up to the point where you will desire to orchestrate and think other instruments. That's where you'll probably need more knowledge and there are times when you will here more complex things in your mind and you will want to play them and without practice, that won't be possible.

Sumit, don't rush anything - it's a bit extreme to go from an 8 hr practice routine to a 0 hr practice routine smile.gif

+Quote Post
sumitnxt
Jan 11 2013, 06:36 PM
Hi Cosmin,

Whats up ?
I know i have disappeared from GMC for sometime.

Would like to tell you that i was just trying to relax a bit. I have been doing some progress r though not much on guitar front but no regrets smile.gif

The schedule you made for me is extremely helpful although i am not spending 8 hours a day i am trying to cover the topics given by you.

Cosmin i have a question for you

At this stage i have learnt the 5 scale patterns of pentatonics and how they can be appliet to all the keys .

Can you teach me how can i learn to play / write my own solo on any song i want to using the 5 scale patterns of pentatonics ?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 11 2013, 11:37 PM
Instructor
Howdy mate! Welcome back and to answer your question, sure I can! Are you working on a particular song on which you'd like to come up with a solo at this moment?

+Quote Post
sumitnxt
Jan 12 2013, 02:36 PM
No Cosmin i wasn't talking about any particular song, but all songs in general.

My current method of soloing over a song is this -

1. i find out what is the key of the song
2. if it is a major key - i use major and minor pentatonic scale patterns for that key for soloing
3. if it is a minor key - i use only minor pentatonic patters for that key for soloing
4. However the solo that i play are just all-right but nothing special because i am playing them extempore while the song is playing.
5. I feel that i am just playing random notes of the relevant pentatonic in order to play the solo .
6. Honestly i don't think these solos are good enough that people would call them professional level
7. I would like to learn concepts like phrasing and repetitions so that i could write more interesting solos . How and when to use techniques like tapping , bending , vibrato , sliding etc. such that an audience would really consider spending money to buy my music smile.gif
8. Also i havent really understood what is the use of learning licks ? There are tons of study material containing thousands of licks ? Are they really useful to learn ? or should i just focus on creating my own solos ?

Cosmin I know i might have asked too many questions here but please take your time and try to answer all of them . I would really appreciate it smile.gif

thanks

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 12 2013, 10:48 PM
Instructor
Hey man smile.gif

All these questions have one answer - your ears smile.gif I think that the best way to come up with an original and heartfelt solo is to play what you hear in your head and THEN after recording it, analyze it and see what you used and IF you want to modify it by using a certain scale here and there, you are free to do it.

Let's try the following drill:

- pick up a backing track you like and see that you know the chords that make it up
- listen to it until you know all the chord changes in the track
- once you are familiar with it, sing in your head any melodic line that comes to mind - do not think of scales or arpeggios, just sing smile.gif whatever comes to your mind, as simple or complex as it may be.

At first, it will be a few notes that may sound silly to you - this is where it all begins smile.gif Record those notes, and then try to find a suitable continuation in the same manner.

I know it sounds abstract but it's the only way in which you may create honest heartfelt music - I know you want that smile.gif

How does this sound to you? Can you send me a little recording of your first line, created in such a way?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
sumitnxt
Jan 13 2013, 04:01 PM
This makes sense cosmin

In my next post i am going to give you the recording of the drill.

Thanks

Sumit

This post has been edited by sumitnxt: Jan 13 2013, 04:02 PM

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:43 AM