2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Megadeth - United Abominations
ActiveX
Nov 21 2007, 10:55 PM
GMC:er
This is the first metal album that I have bought in years...and it kicked my ass!
Some really cool riffs, and blistering solos.
As for its lyrical content, Mr. Mustaine obviously has some strong opinions on the war in the Middle East;
the entire cd is pretty much dedicated to this.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Nov 21 2007, 11:01 PM
Wow, what a review... biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 21 2007, 11:02 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Hmm, while i agree with you that is an insane great abum, a more in depth review would be nice wink.gif

+Quote Post
ActiveX
Nov 21 2007, 11:03 PM
QUOTE (botoxfox @ Nov 21 2007, 02:01 PM) *
Wow, what a review... biggrin.gif

lol, had to cut it short...I heard the boss coming from down the hall
maybe when I get home I'll make another attempt

This post has been edited by ActiveX: Nov 21 2007, 11:06 PM

+Quote Post
ActiveX
Nov 22 2007, 01:52 AM
QUOTE (ActiveX @ Nov 21 2007, 02:03 PM) *
lol, had to cut it short...I heard the boss coming from down the hall
maybe when I get home I'll make another attempt

Artist: Megadeth
Album Title: United Abominations
Year Released: 2007

Dave Mustaine: Lead vocals, lead/rythym guitar
Glen Drover: Lead/rythym guitar
James Lomenzo: Bass
Shawn Drover: Drums

Although Mustaine is the only remaining founding member of the band,
this album is a mixture of everything good that Megadeth has done during its longtime career.
It features powerful riffing, speedy bridges, an abundance of guitar shredding,
and that trademark Megadeth sound. IMO, the best Megadeth album since Countdown to Extinction.

Track List:

1. Sleepwalker
2. Washington is Next!
3. Never Walk Alone
4. United Abominations
5. Gears of War
6. Blessed are the Dead
7. Play for Blood
8. A Tout le Monde (Set me Free)
9. Amerikhastan
10.You're Dead
11.Burnt Ice

Favorite Tracks:

Washington is Next!
United Abominations
Amerikhastan

Cons: Could have done without the remake of "A Tout le Monde", but it's alright dry.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 22 2007, 03:54 AM
QUOTE (ActiveX @ Nov 21 2007, 04:52 PM) *
Cons: Could have done without the remake of "A Tout le Monde", but it's alright dry.gif

I liked that quite a bit smile.gif

+Quote Post
ClifordACDC
Nov 22 2007, 04:32 AM
i liked the new a tout le monde but i dont think it fits well with the rest of the album.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/cliffordacdc

my gear: epiphone sg special, Marshall mg100dfx, digitech df-7 distortion factory

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Nov 22 2007, 05:21 AM
Man i love Megadeth smile.gif .Dave has gotta be one of the best Thrash guitarist of all time.He just makes so many awesome riff's.Albums like Rust in Peice , Countdown to Extinction , and peice sells but who's buying are clasic's for me! smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 22 2007, 06:07 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 21 2007, 09:54 PM) *
I liked that quite a bit smile.gif

Me too.

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Nov 23 2007, 09:40 PM
i got this 2 weeks ago!!! it is great album! great riffs n solos
although the lyrics are quite so entertaining lol when "i sleep...NO ONE IS SAFE!" ahhh!

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Nov 24 2007, 03:07 AM
Has anyone noticed how much Glen Drover is disrespected and underrated? Most people I've heard would say he is the worst guitar Megadeth has had, but I would put him at 2nd best easily only behind Marty Friedman. For one I find his alternate picking runs in Washington is Next, You're Dead, etc, and his sweeps to be EXTREMELY fast and clean at the same time. A lot of people play fast, but Glen Drover almost takes it over the edge in speed. My favorite is his first solo in Burnt Ice was an amazing harmony and the 2nd one is insanne, it reminds me of Sea of Lies by Symphony X, and I didn't expect any guitarist in Megadeth to reaching the greatness of Michael Romeo.

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Nov 24 2007, 03:08 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
ActiveX
Nov 24 2007, 04:47 AM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Nov 23 2007, 06:07 PM) *
Has anyone noticed how much Glen Drover is disrespected and underrated? Most people I've heard would say he is the worst guitar Megadeth has had, but I would put him at 2nd best easily only behind Marty Friedman. For one I find his alternate picking runs in Washington is Next, You're Dead, etc, and his sweeps to be EXTREMELY fast and clean at the same time. A lot of people play fast, but Glen Drover almost takes it over the edge in speed. My favorite is his first solo in Burnt Ice was an amazing harmony and the 2nd one is insanne, it reminds me of Sea of Lies by Symphony X, and I didn't expect any guitarist in Megadeth to reaching the greatness of Michael Romeo.

To be honest, before I bought this cd I had never heard of Glen Drover, but I thought his playing on this cd was excellent.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 24 2007, 06:01 AM
I know, Drover is excellent, he is truly underrated. When i saw GIGANTOUR Last october, he was flawless live, his trade-offs with dave were insane! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 26 2007, 03:29 PM
GMC Founder
This is not a review and therefore moved to the apropriate board.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 8 2007, 10:44 PM
Instructor
I like that Megadeth have taken approach to the style of their older album's, this is definitely better than for example Risk. I think that this album is pretty OK, but nowhere near the quality of their first 5 Megadeth records.

This post has been edited by Toni Suominen: Dec 8 2007, 10:45 PM

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 9 2007, 02:36 AM
Nothing beats Rust In Peace.

Holy Wars Babay!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Dec 9 2007, 02:39 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Dec 9 2007, 01:36 AM) *
Nothing beats Rust In Peace.

Holy Wars Babay!

I prefer Peace Sells but that is me. I love Good Mourning/Black Sunday or Friday whatever it is. I forget

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 9 2007, 02:42 AM
Its Friday wink.gif

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Dec 9 2007, 02:44 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Dec 9 2007, 01:42 AM) *
Its Friday wink.gif

Never know what day it is lol

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Goliath
Mar 9 2008, 06:56 AM
I finally picked this album up.

I had hesitation because I figured Mustaine would just be toeing the line of the whole anti-war movement and have horribly weak "musician wearing politician" lyrics, but that's not the case at all.

He's pissed off we're at war and it's being dragged out, but the message of the album is not "war is bad" it's "we're not going far enough". The United Abominations track is awesome, it opens with a criticism of how the US spends 22% of it's tax dollars to fund the UN, some of which member nations being considered "enemy nations". It is kind of creepy to think about when Mustaine wrote Holy Wars, the Punishment Due, then basically picks up this whole album as a bit of a continuation.

The album is pretty strong across the board and what I would consider being "typical" Megadeth, which is a whale of a compliment. The guitarwork is a page right out of the Friedman area, not quite as creative, but still pretty complicated, the more innovative riffing offsets the less "interesting" solos. You can always tell when Dave is soloing because it degrades into machine gun alt picking and straight forward scale runs.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:00 PM