16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Enforcer-jer Mtp Sessions Thread, yeah this is our place :)
jer
Jan 8 2009, 06:59 PM
GMC:er
Yep. Sure will.

Your prime time is my work time. Unfortunately I am employed.... smile.gif

I'd love to blow outta here and head home!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 8 2009, 07:01 PM
he he, everybody needs to eat biggrin.gif take your time mate biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 9 2009, 02:38 AM
Jer I am still awake, so if you have a question about anything, drop a line. By the way its 04.10 am here biggrin.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups

+Quote Post
jer
Jan 9 2009, 04:03 AM
QUOTE (enforcer @ Jan 8 2009, 07:38 PM) *
Jer I am still awake, so if you have a question about anything, drop a line. By the way its 04.10 am here biggrin.gif

Dang man!!!! Get some sleep!!!

Just finished the first video. It hangs after the exercise is over but hang in there for a bit, I added more to it. Not sure why movie maker did that. My next round of videos will be higher quality. I deleted the project before watching it. Sorry...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQIzcUnBx6s...re=channel_page

Sanitarium - Part 1. This is as far as I got tonight... More after the weekend out of town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQWQqZ8wNxQ...re=channel_page

I'm working a half day tomorrow. 7:30 - 11:30 my time so I'm looking forward to reading some feedback.

Have a good one Can!!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 9 2009, 04:35 AM
QUOTE (jer @ Jan 9 2009, 05:03 AM) *
Dang man!!!! Get some sleep!!!

Just finished the first video. It hangs after the exercise is over but hang in there for a bit, I added more to it. Not sure why movie maker did that. My next round of videos will be higher quality. I deleted the project before watching it. Sorry...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQIzcUnBx6s...re=channel_page

Sanitarium - Part 1. This is as far as I got tonight... More after the weekend out of town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQWQqZ8wNxQ...re=channel_page

I'm working a half day tomorrow. 7:30 - 11:30 my time so I'm looking forward to reading some feedback.

Have a good one Can!!

Yeah man, thats great, I am listening to them right away. As you can see I am awake, that may be the enthousiasm of our first day biggrin.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH

+Quote Post
jer
Jan 9 2009, 04:51 AM
Damn Can. You gonna sleep at all today?

Do you work?

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 9 2009, 05:05 AM
Yeah I saw video clips Jeremy, and some problems were obvious now, but know what, these are the exactly same problems I had, and gladly I know how to overcome them! With some hardwork and guidance we will overcome that, and I am sure you'll do great in no time. Well to be honest, I really believe you can achieve greater things because you have the all the things you need as a person, over all the other things you have the will. The explanation that you made after the exercise is over was great, and your little tour of your room was really cute and right. Now I know your training environement and that's great. Tomorrow I'll prepare a problem oriented work schedule. Rest assured it will include mostly enjoyable exercises.

p.s: You got some nice equipment there my friend, and even nicer posters biggrin.gif I decided to remove all my posters because they started to fall off the walls and now I can see it was a bad idea after all...

Have a nice out of town visit man, when you return we'll do great things together laugh.gif

Can

QUOTE (jer @ Jan 9 2009, 05:51 AM) *
Damn Can. You gonna sleep at all today?

Do you work?

No man 7 hours of sleep will be fine for me, and we got 6 hours of show in a week, and I gain enough to live all the week biggrin.gif On saturdays I teach at a local music school, so I dont need to wake up early on week days. Maybe it will be adequate if I change my awake hours to fit your timezone tongue.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH

+Quote Post
jer
Jan 9 2009, 05:27 AM
Cool. Looking forward to it!!!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
jer
Jan 9 2009, 03:31 PM
Oh, and if you need more examples of mistakes and work areas see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wshg0CbrpJc...feature=channel

My first take at the GMC - Judas Priest Lesson - by Gabriel Leopardi

It all falls apart at the end. That was my first run through it. Filmed anyway. I had been working on it for 20 min or so....

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 9 2009, 06:34 PM
Hey Jer, I am finally awake, It must be 12.00 am there, so you are about to get out from work and get home. Well I got the program for Week 1 here, I got both very enjoyable and boring exercises here, but I am sure you wont have any difficulties as long as you give some time working these.

I watched Sanitorium, Open Chords and Judas Priest Style lesson videos of yours and maybe you wont believe me but the problem lies on your right hand. And I call this metal rhythme guitarist syndrome (you can laugh at me biggrin.gif )

The reason of this problem is very simple: You play metal rhythme guitar for so long that you are not used to play other things. You can see it in your Judas Style solo, your picking technique and fingerings on last 3 strings are so good than what you play on 3 high strings, that takes you "playing balance" away. Check your solo picking in Sanitorium, that look really a little random. Sometimes you pick upwards mostly downwards, that is the legacy of hard riffs played mostly by downward picking. You need something to connect these two and build a solid Alternate Picking technique. Fortunately that is easy...

Now we need a song to connect this solo playing and rhythme playing. Well I believe I found this song. I am sure you'll like a lot:

This is Losfer Words from Iron Maiden, 3rd song of Powerslave album. All I want while playing this keep an eye on your right hand posture, and Alternate Pick at all times even on the solo parts. This is very important. Start with the gpro file I posted, it is already a little slower than the original one, but I recommend you to start even slower. The aim here is to improve your a.p technique while having fun, but dont allow the fun surpass the technical side of the practice! Awareness is the key here, try to be aware of every note you play here.

Check out these images:

Here you can see how I am used to hold the pick. I keep the tip as small as possible, I keep it close the strings. This reduces the movement I have to do to move the pick up and down, therefore it takes less time and easier. And also my index finger doesnt support the pick on the joint but on the finger tip. This greatly improves precision. I play always using my whirst but you dont have a problem on that spot as I saw in your videos.

This was the fun part, the other focus of this week is finger independence. There are some great finger independence exercise here on site but my favorite one is the series by Danilo Capezzuto starting with this Finger independence 1 by Danilo the good thing about this is this series cover pretty much every available finger moving combination through F.I 1 to 5. The only critic I have about this series it the picking style Danilo uses, I recommend you to use alternate picking at all times. Practice slow and correct, remember slow and correct becomes fast and correct while fast and sloppy remains fast and sloppy. I wont lie to you these kind of exercises are not fun, but you can use them anytime even before you play guitar to warm up your left hand before some demanding training sessions. And finally you can check out my S.I lessons for string skipping and picking cross strings here:

My String Skipping Exercise

And one final word about left hand posture, you should keep your fingers always like this

but not like this

Some physical aspect of guitar playing:
What we do here doesnt have any relation with your muscles buddy. These exercises mostly target your brain's motor nerve areas, we try to teach your brain what its capable of. Try to move your fingers really fast for example, you'll see they can move really fast, but why cant you play that fast while playing guitar? Thats because your brain hasnt yet formed the necessary synapses (brain cell connections) So you have to concentrate, always be aware of what you are playing. We play slow to grant us time to think, how to pick correctly, which note to fret next, how to keep up with tempo. When your brain connects the dots, these will be almost by instinct.

Well that covers everything I guess for now, so our weekly plan consists of:

Week 1:

Fun Stuff:
-Metallica Sanitorium Solo 1 and 2,
I think they are good solos to build some feeling and vibrato some bends etc. And because this was my first solo too.

-Iron Maiden-Losfer Words
Great A.P Exercise. And some legatos, good timing overall I think its a great passage from Metal Rhythme Guitar to more solo oriented riffs.

Serious Stuff:

-String Skipping Exercises, I recommend my SI Lesson.
My String Skipping Exercise

-Finger independence exercises.
Finger independence 1 by Danilo

-And finally the open chords exercise, as advised by our MTP Syllabus.
(try to work correctly on 50bpm version of this, try to memmorize CAGED positions...

Losfer Words GPro file:

edit: some arrangement and typo corrected biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by enforcer: Jan 9 2009, 06:56 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Losfer_Words__Tab.gp3 ( 41.74K ) Number of downloads: 148

--------------------

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 10 2009, 03:52 PM
Man, I know you are out of town, I dont know when you're getting home, so don't forget to drop me a line when you comeback biggrin.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH

+Quote Post
jer
Jan 12 2009, 01:53 AM
Hey Can!!!!!

I'm back.

Do me a favor will ya?

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of stuff to work on. If I was going to play for an hour (after warmup) what amount of time should I spend on each thing? Break it down a bit if you would.

Thanks!!!!!

I'm gonna do some more with the Arpeggio/Strumming thing tonight. Maybe more. Still have some unpacking to do.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 12 2009, 02:23 AM
QUOTE (jer @ Jan 12 2009, 02:53 AM) *
Hey Can!!!!!

I'm back.

Do me a favor will ya?

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of stuff to work on. If I was going to play for an hour (after warmup) what amount of time should I spend on each thing? Break it down a bit if you would.

Thanks!!!!!

I'm gonna do some more with the Arpeggio/Strumming thing tonight. Maybe more. Still have some unpacking to do.

Ok man, I surely dont want to overwhelm you with lots of exercises,

well lets create a 10 days of training period ok? We'll break down the work we have into small chunks... As I mentioned before Finger Independence exercises has 5 parts at total, so we will try to nail 1 video in two days. Speed is not a very definitive measure here, I dont want you to play them at unreal speeds, you just try to be comfortable with them.

For Losfer words, we will take the solo out (there is only one solo in it you'll notice with uncomfortable speedy parts), and concentrate on other parts. You can make your schedule for yourself on that one, just try to play it a least in gpro speed without the solo.

String skipping exercise may be used as a warmup and that will get faster with more time, all I want you to do is just memmorizing the whole part as soon as possible, and being able to play it at constant speed without getting need to drop or increase the speed...

Sanitorium solo will be a basis for our feeling lessons, so we will keep on working on it, just a 10 mins a day, and we may be able to nail the first clean backing solo (before the verse) at the end of this 10 day period.

For the Arpeggio/Strumming exercise, I advise you to break the exercise in two parts 1-Strumming 2-Arpeggio,
First try to be comfortable with these chord fingerings that you are not used to, play them by strumming, try to keep with the tempo. (that shall not exceed 4 days of work) After that you'll get to the Arpeggio phase you'll see that playing arpeggios are hard at the first arpeggio, when you nail that right left hand syncro, they are all more or less the same thing, and with you used to fingering of the chords, they are to master pretty quick. (that work should not exceed 5 days) After that spend your last day to connect the two phases...

I take you practice 1 hour per day, so your exercise timeline can be like this:

Finger independence around 15 mins, Losfer Words about 10 minutes, String Skipping 5-10 minutes, Sanitorium 1st solo 10 mins, Arpeggio Strumming 10 mins a day, if you have free time, try to play anything you like, just be mindfull of technique use and working discipline, keep your left and right hand postures right, try to work with metronome as long as its possible.

I am sure you can nail all this in upcoming 10 days... Yeah we will be a little late to our syllabus, but a slow but sturdy start is better than a fast, overwhelming, sloppy one...

Keep up working man,

Cheers laugh.gif

Can

--------------------

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH

+Quote Post
jer
Jan 12 2009, 02:41 AM
I had done this before reading the previous post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsOwN7jlxQY

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 12 2009, 03:03 AM
QUOTE (jer @ Jan 12 2009, 03:41 AM) *
I had done this before reading the previous post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsOwN7jlxQY

Buddy, this is getting pretty well, I see you corrected a lot. You still got some issues on upstrokes, and I believe that is due to lack of precision because you are moving your arm when performing upstrokes... Notice how you downstroke the strings... They are much more precise and correct because you are depending on you whirst movement. Now check the upstrokes, you use your arm way more than you use in your downstrokes. Its ok a little use of the whole arm while strumming but when you have to pick the correct string amongs 6 other strings precision cannot be sacrificed. Try to keep your whirst on a fixed spot as if you are about to start a bunch of palm mute runs. And at that fixed position try to move only your whirst. Even when you are a little used to it, you'll notice a great progress.

I used my arm for about three years when I started playing guitar, and I know how its hard to quit an "addiction" like this... But sooner is better biggrin.gif But dont think all that was in vain, there are uses of everything in guitar (a gift or a curse? laugh.gif ) Like Bruce Lee once said, "Be like water" try to adapt to anything, but here in this case while playing arpeggios usage of whirst is the better choice.

Man, I see you improved in this quite well in just two days (to be accurate, that is 2 hours!) keep up the good work!!!

--------------------

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH

+Quote Post
jer
Jan 12 2009, 03:08 AM
Here is my first run thru the finger independence exercise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEst24uBOxE

Question: How do I get GP to play back slower? I am changing the tempo but its playing back at full speed each time....

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 12 2009, 03:31 AM
QUOTE (jer @ Jan 12 2009, 04:08 AM) *
Here is my first run thru the finger independence exercise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEst24uBOxE

Question: How do I get GP to play back slower? I am changing the tempo but its playing back at full speed each time....

Thats ok I guess, but there is a mistake there, all your fingers must be on the fretboard at all times, at some points you lift your middle finger. You should keep it down on the fret. And one last thing, that is the ultimate correct wrist movement! You got it totally correct! Very good job man!

About your question, I downloaded and installed gp now, I opened a random document, now when I click the tempo button a popup appears on the screen and when I lower the tempo it gets slower. That was how you have done that?

An alternative way is to select the bars you wish to work on, hit F9, there appears the speed trainer, there you can choose % of the deceleration, and even the acceleration rate...

hope this covers all biggrin.gif

Still amazed with your work on your right hand man,

Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH

+Quote Post
jer
Jan 12 2009, 03:41 AM
About your question, I downloaded and installed gp now, I opened a random document, now when I click the tempo button a popup appears on the screen and when I lower the tempo it gets slower. That was how you have done that?

Yeah, I did that and the number changed, but when I hit play it always plays full speed.....

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 12 2009, 04:01 AM
QUOTE (jer @ Jan 12 2009, 04:41 AM) *
Yeah, I did that and the number changed, but when I hit play it always plays full speed.....

Curious but it does the same thing in Losfer Words in my machine too, but I just figured out some other way. Click the multiplier button next to tempo button... It works this way...

Man, I gotta go to sleep its 5.30 am here I'll be able to sleep for 1.5 hours hopefully then I will wake up I promised I'll help a friend at work, if you have questions I will get them answered in a few hours ok?

--------------------

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH

+Quote Post
jer
Jan 12 2009, 04:04 AM
dammit... I cant figure out why this is out of sync.... I tried it at lots of resuloutions. Man, this is irritating.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1qwyt9w7lg

multiplier... Got it!

Here comes another at a lower speed.

Thats ok I guess, but there is a mistake there, all your fingers must be on the fretboard at all times, at some points you lift your middle finger. You should keep it down on the fret.
Not sure what to do here. I'll look at this again.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:59 PM