2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Opinions On Mexican/swine Flu.
Jesse
Nov 1 2009, 08:31 PM
GMC:er
smile.gif
Just want to know what your opinions are on the swine/mexican flu.
Has or is anyone experienced/experiencing it?

At the moment I'm quite ill. Not saying it's mexician flu, but it sure ain't pretty.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Frederik
Nov 1 2009, 08:48 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Its nothing to be afraid of, just like a normal flu, only a tad worse.
dangerous only to people with weakend immune system. i have had it, didnt get ill though..

-Frederik

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Jesse
Nov 1 2009, 08:54 PM
QUOTE (Frederik @ Nov 1 2009, 08:48 PM) *
Its nothing to be afraid of, just like a normal flu, only a tad worse.
dangerous only to people with weakend immune system. i have had it, didnt get ill though..

-Frederik

Ya... that's kinda the problem.
Got astma tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Frederik
Nov 1 2009, 09:00 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
biggrin.gif im not sure that counts. but consult ur doctor if u are nervous. rest and drink a lot of water - or cola if u have trouble eating.

+Quote Post
Jesse
Nov 1 2009, 09:17 PM
counts:D

--------------------

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Nov 1 2009, 09:30 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Significantly more problematic if you have a chronic respiratory condition. Otherwise, it's just a subtype of Influenza A. It responds very well to antivirals such as Tamiflu, if you are placed on it within about 24 hours. Not as good within 48 and useless after that. In Canada, we aren't testing for it anymore because nasal swabs are coming up as H1N1 almost every time. Too expensive to keep testing for it now. Most people that are becoming sick with it, aren't getting TOO sick...relatively. The mortality rate, in Canada, is on par with every other years seasonal flu. The problem is the demographic has shifted to quite a bit younger. But this is only Canadian statistics. I'm not current with Europe. We're up to our elbows in our own problem.

On a personal note, I tested positive for H1N1 last week. I was sick for about 3 days, but was on Tamiflu within 10 hours. I'm a healthcare worker, so I had access to testing and treatment faster as it would pose a greater risk to the general public if I was exposing people.

Again, most that are getting sick, are not getting THAT sick, but my concern is your asthma. This becomes a significant risk factor and would warrant consultation with your family doctor.

Cheers!

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
superize
Nov 1 2009, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I dont think it is that dangerous that a lot of people think.....

Now i want to know haw many of the guys here plan to get vaccinated(Hope you know what i mean).... I had a chanse to take it last week but decided not to

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Jesse
Nov 1 2009, 09:34 PM
superize, sorry but thats just stupid.
Why ignore a pre-med?

Im getting vaccinated (more change-group due to asthma) the 12th I believe.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 1 2009, 09:46 PM
Instructor
It's suposed that we had a pandemic in Argentina in June/July of this year and this city was on panic. I didn't have the flu and I haven't anyu close relative or friend that had it.
However the danger of this illness is the same than a normal flu. A normal flu as well as the swine flue can be dangerous if the person is too old, if he is diabetic or if he has repiratoty problems...
If you sudenly have much fever and if it doesn't decrease you have to go to the doctor. You don't have to worry but you have to consult him because you must take any kind of special medicine.

So don't worry, and go to the doctor. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Nov 1 2009, 09:49 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Jesse @ Nov 1 2009, 09:34 PM) *
superize, sorry but thats just stupid.

You are some amazingly refined laugh.gif

I'm not sure whether I'd take it either... Don't know why, I kinda feel like my body should be able to overwin it itself... or something like that xD

\m/

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Jesse
Nov 1 2009, 09:53 PM
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Nov 1 2009, 09:49 PM) *
You are some amazingly refined laugh.gif

I'm not sure whether I'd take it either... Don't know why, I kinda feel like my body should be able to overwin it itself... or something like that xD

\m/

What the heck?
That is one of the most STUPIDest things ever,
If you get cancer, you don't say, o no, dont treat it, I feel like my body should be able to overwin itself. FACE IT, YOU'RE BODY CANT OVERWIN EVERYTHING, IT NEEDS HELP EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE!

On a rant here, I think it's just ridiculous

This post has been edited by Jesse: Nov 1 2009, 09:54 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Nov 1 2009, 09:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
dont take the chance with asthma mate, my sister suffers with it and it looks scary when she has an asthma attack! Go see/phone your doctor, even if they tell you to go away they are at least aware of your predicament.

+Quote Post
Matt23
Nov 1 2009, 09:59 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Sure I think it's potential serious. But not at the moment. The media have exaggerated it into much more than it actually is, because atm, or at least a couple of months ago in the UK, regular flu was killing more people than swine flu, yet swine flu was all over the news. And as people have said it's nearly just people with other health problems that are dying with swine flu. Also, a lot of people who think they may have had it might not have. In England there is a number you can phone and if you list three or more symptoms of swine flu, they'll send you some tami-flu. Swabs were sent out to a random selection of people who phoned the number. Of the people that sent them back only 8% had swine flu.

I think the main worry is that there's a chance that it could come in contact with a bird-flu virus and mutate to something that's as serious as bird-flu, and fast spreading as swine-flu.

Overall though I don't really think it's anything to worry about especially atm.

This post has been edited by Matt23: Nov 1 2009, 10:00 PM

+Quote Post
rokchik
Nov 1 2009, 10:05 PM
The Dark Canuck
I am just getting over pneumonia so even though I am not "normally" in a high risk group, because I am recovering from an illness I'm at a higher risk of catching the flu... normal or pork flavoured wink.gif

Personally I think the media has taken things a bit far with the "Hysteria". I think if people research the illness, ask questions and consult their doctors they can make an informed decision on how to proceed and what is best for them. Is getting vaccinated a good idea, sure... but many have different views about vaccination and their benefits/ or lack there of. I know when I got the flu shot last year I got so sick I ended up in the hospital for a week.

Gonna us my mod voice here..

Please refrain from calling others opinions stupid... everyone is entitled to their opinion. Whether you agree to it or not

As for the swine flu vaccine, I will get the shot. Not because I'm afraid of getting swine flu but mostly because I work in a job where I see many people a day and therefore a) kinda have a bigger chance of being exposed b ) run the risk also of passing an illness on to others.

Best advice anyone can give is if you have concerns consult your doctor.

This post has been edited by rokchik: Nov 1 2009, 10:14 PM

+Quote Post
Jesse
Nov 1 2009, 10:07 PM
Ok:)

Nice that you are all fast responding!
I'm gonna go back to bed now, I'll keep ya updated tomorrow morning since I wont go to school.

QUOTE (rokchik @ Nov 1 2009, 10:05 PM) *
I am just getting over pneumonia so even though I am not "normally" in a high risk group, because I am recovering from an illness I'm at a higher risk of catching the flu... normal or pork flavoured wink.gif

Personally I think the media has taken things a bit far with the "Hysteria". I think if people research the illness, ask questions and consult their doctors they can make an informed decision on how to proceed and what is best for them. Is getting vaccinated a good idea, sure... but many have different views about vaccination and their benefits/ or lack there of. I know when I got the flu shot last year I got so sick I ended up in the hospital for a week.

Gonna us my mod voice here..

Please refrain from calling others opinions stupid... everyone is entitled to their opinion. Whether you agree to it or not

As for the swine flu vaccine, I will get the shot. Not because I'm afraid of getting swine flu but mostly because I work in a job where I see many people a day and therefore a) kinda have a bigger chance of being exposed cool.gif run the risk also of passing an illness on to others.

Best advice anyone can give is if you have concerns consult your doctor.

Saw that one coming:P

It just didn't make sense to me.

This post has been edited by Jesse: Nov 1 2009, 10:08 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 1 2009, 10:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Jesse @ Nov 1 2009, 10:07 PM) *
Ok:)

Nice that you are all fast responding!
I'm gonna go back to bed now, I'll keep ya updated tomorrow morning since I wont go to school.

I for one has no plan of getting a vaccine either. Media hype, in my opinion. More people die from regular influenza than from H1N1, I've heard experts say.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Nov 1 2009, 10:17 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
rokchik
Nov 1 2009, 10:17 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Jesse @ Nov 1 2009, 06:07 PM) *

I can understand that, but maybe you could have phrased it a little different smile.gif

I hope you do feel better Jesse. I was on my butt for about 2 weeks and am still not 100% so I know how you feel. Get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 1 2009, 11:09 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I'm in a risc group, had my shot 2 weeks ago and I'm thankful for it and I feel safe on my own account.

Vaccination isn't just to protect yourself, for the majority of the population it's to protect the ones classed as risc groups who can get really ill and die from this flu. If you as a healthy citizen is vaccinated you won't contribute to spreading the flu and maybe in the long run save someone elses life.

Jesse, yes astma puts you in the risc group.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 1 2009, 11:21 PM
Instructor
It is starting to spread quickly in Serbia now, I just hope they will resolve it soon somehow...

--------------------

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Nov 1 2009, 11:28 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
People. Please inform yourselves beyond the information provided on a guitar forum. I beg you. Personal opinions aside, they are only opinions and not that of learned individuals in the fields of public health and immunology. If you don't want to get immunized, it's your own personal choice.

As a physician, I support each individual’s right to freedom of choice in health care and full disclosure of information related to such a choice. When discussing health promotion and wellness, I encourage patients and my friends at GMC, to responsibly evaluate and consider all information including benefits and potential risks related to any proposed intervention including vaccination.

This should be done from reliable sources which exclude our friends on websites and the news media. You need to ask these questions of the department of public health in YOUR country. Each countries risk and their plan is individual to that country. Please inform yourself. Having opinions based on desire rhetoric from websites or idle conversation with other untrained individuals may put you in harms way.

A public service message from another guitar player.

Cheers!

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:02 PM