Bending
Rooks
Oct 19 2008, 12:00 PM
GMC:er
Hey GMC

Might seem like a banal question happy.gif but something about bending bugging me a bit ..

When I train a bend in a lesson.. Say one of Ivan's as I am now .. He bends the note with the ringfinger and support with middle .. I got used to do a bend with the bad mutherfinger (Quote Kris) and support with index..
Now when I try do do it with ring and middle as shown, it really requires concentration to get out of the habit ..

Should I just do it like I got used to, or will it help me in the long run to force myself to use the same fingers as the instructor tongue.gif ?

Rooks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear: Guitar Cort EVL X4 , Squier Strat Amp Peavey Valveking 112 50w
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Oct 19 2008, 12:05 PM
You should get used to bending with all fingers if that's what you mean, yes. The fingerings won't always allow you to use the bad mother finger for every bend you do.

I hope I understood you correct.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 19 2008, 12:05 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
It's probably just a matter of preference. I use my ring or index finger for bending most of the time (sometimes with support from other fingers).

This post has been edited by Matt23: Oct 19 2008, 12:05 PM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 19 2008, 12:07 PM
Instructor
Bending with ring and middle fingers is most often way to do it.
When you do it with middle and index fingers your fist might get twisted a bit
which will cause you troubles to perform an healthy vibrato.
So I would suggest to practice more with middle and ring fingers,
plus can add index finger as a natural dampener
to mutes some unwanted noise,specially on lower strings,
that's what I do at least,hope this helps somehow. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Rooks
Oct 19 2008, 12:15 PM
Cool I guess I should practice ring finger when it occurs in the lesson, so I get used to both fingerings.. Even though my "usual method" feels more comfortable .. Thats at least my impression of your answers smile.gif

--------------------

Gear: Guitar Cort EVL X4 , Squier Strat Amp Peavey Valveking 112 50w

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Oct 19 2008, 12:31 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I would also recommend to practice bends with all possible finger combinations, like this you always have the option to use whatever finger is best in a certain situation, you are not limited to only one exclusive "bendingfinger"

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Toroso
Oct 19 2008, 04:11 PM
Like the others say, I would practice using the best fingering for the moment. I typically use the ring finger supported by the BMF, but I see lots of videos where the index finger is bending or vibrato. So I am working on that too!

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 19 2008, 04:23 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Rooks @ Oct 19 2008, 07:15 AM) *
Cool I guess I should practice ring finger when it occurs in the lesson, so I get used to both fingerings.. Even though my "usual method" feels more comfortable .. Thats at least my impression of your answers smile.gif

Your usual method feels comfortable precisely because it's your usual method tongue.gif I had to trade a lot of my "usual" methods for better technique. My advice would be to give it a shot (try it for at least a few weeks, keep it strict) and see how you like it. I always had a weird way of picking that was comfortable for me, but once I got used to a more normal picking style (and it did take some time) it not only improved my technique but it's actually a lot more comfortable.

In other words, just keep in mind that comfort is the goal, but if you play comfortably all the time you probably won't go anywhere too fast smile.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 19 2008, 10:55 PM
Instructor
Don't worry mate, it's a usual problem, as Marcus and other said every finger on every fret is a good way to go. You can split these bends into exercises and practice on one string per day o one tempo, then next week, little faster and so on. It takes some time, but after a couple of months you will be done with bending learning really for some time.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Oct 20 2008, 06:02 AM
Instructor
I agree with Marcus and Ivan... all posibble combinations should be practiced.
but results are most important for me after all.
so there´re bends some people plays with one finger and others plays the same bends with another finger.
so, what I do when I´ve learning something, I look for my best position, without copy the position of my teacher.
sometimes my choice is the same, sometimes not.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:20 AM