4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
6 Years Wasted
Skyla°Lit
Sep 30 2008, 09:31 AM
GMC:er
If OC is really in a depression-like state, I don't think that "treating" the symptoms would help... Well, it won't provide lasting results anyways. Getting rid of depression is about getting to the root of the problem that caused it and solving it once and for all. It's important to understand WHY you feel this way and that usually requires some thinking. If you're not good at self-analyzing a psychiatrist could probably help. Instead of a monologue you'll get a dialogue that will supposedly help you know what questions to ask and how to answer them. Depressions are often triggered by simple lack of insight about who you are?, what is that you want?, why is that you want it?, where is that you're going and what is that you're supposed to do and for what reason etc etc etc...

I really hope you get over it soon OrganisedConfusion, one way or another... It's only up to you smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Skyla°Lit: Sep 30 2008, 09:54 AM

--------------------
“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rooks
Sep 30 2008, 09:52 AM
I really hope you mean analyzing happy.gif -sorry

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear: Guitar Cort EVL X4 , Squier Strat Amp Peavey Valveking 112 50w

+Quote Post
Skyla°Lit
Sep 30 2008, 09:57 AM
Ooops... all fixed now tongue.gif

Thanks Rooks wink.gif

--------------------
“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”

+Quote Post
BodomESP
Sep 30 2008, 10:02 AM
Well obviously the source of your depression is guitar. As soon as one reads the title and first sentence of your post that becomes apparent. You seem to have some "life plan" mapped out in your mind that you will be a great high caliber guitarist one day, a plan which is obviously very important to you.

Now it seems you are doubting you have what it takes to achieve that goal and this is making you very depressed. As long as the "life plan" you have mapped out in your head does not line up with reality or seem achievable to you you are going to be miserable.

You have to change the ridiculously high standards you have set for yourself and just accept you may not be the greatest guitarist ever one day. You need to set little doable goals for yourself and celebrate those small victory's. Start playing guitar for fun again!

Personally I would take a nice long break from playing the guitar. I'm not talking about a week or two but 3 or 4 months, and find another hobby you enjoy to occupy you. Now this may not be possible for you since you said you were in a band, but I really think you should consider it.

Ok I'm done playing psychiatrist now laugh.gif

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Sep 30 2008, 10:08 AM
I can't believe how many replies there are trying to help smile.gif I'm feeling a little better today but I'm still going to book an appointment on Friday as things really aren't good. I just wish things were better. I try really hard with guitar and always make sure I write songs until I'm 100% happy with them. This can take me months though and it is so stressful. In my band nobody helps write songs. I'm expected to write Vocals, Drums, Bass, Guitars and Keyboards. It's ridiculous an amount of pressure to deal with in a band that you just want to do for fun.

I'm struggling with many things but hopefully I can get through this. I aint a quitter so I'm gonna try whatever it takes to get better.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and help from you all. It really is amazing this place and how many people actually care about your problems.

Cheers smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
kjutte
Sep 30 2008, 10:12 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Sep 29 2008, 11:18 PM) *
I've been playing guitar for 6 years and I can't do anything. I'm so slow at downpicking, alternate picking, legato and everything. I'm sure my picking technique is wrong and I can't build speed or play guitar at all. Why am I so useless? Are some people just not meant to play guitar. I just want to crawl into a hole and die. I really want to be good on guitar but I'm utterly useless and getting worse. sad.gif I don't know what to do anymore.

Essential question:
Do you know any theory?

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Sep 30 2008, 10:29 AM
QUOTE (kjutte @ Sep 30 2008, 10:12 AM) *
Essential question:
Do you know any theory?

To a fair level yes. I know about Cadences, Scales, Chords and Intevals. I know a fair bit. Infact I know it sounds very sad but I prefer studying music theory than I do playing guitar.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Sep 30 2008, 10:39 AM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Sep 30 2008, 10:29 AM) *
Infact I know it sounds very sad but I prefer studying music theory than I do playing guitar.

Not at all biggrin.gif I'm guilty of this now and then too rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
kjutte
Sep 30 2008, 10:59 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Sep 30 2008, 11:29 AM) *
To a fair level yes. I know about Cadences, Scales, Chords and Intevals. I know a fair bit. Infact I know it sounds very sad but I prefer studying music theory than I do playing guitar.

Got a toneport or anything?

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Sep 30 2008, 11:00 AM
QUOTE (kjutte @ Sep 30 2008, 10:59 AM) *
Got a toneport or anything?

Yeah I have a toneport also.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Sep 30 2008, 01:49 PM
OC aren't you studying for a PhD or something? You're freakin' tweakin' stressed dude! You need some time off... Take your axe, plug it into a 50watt amp, get a 12 pack, turn on a blues backing track...You'll feel like a lot better about your playing I promise. You just need to regain your confidence and everything else will fall back into place. You'd be suprised one REALLY good session seems to make up for 30 crappy ones. It will reinspire you.

I've felt like this more times than I can POSSIBLY explain... This is my solution - good or bad hahah

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Sep 30 2008, 01:54 PM
I am doing a PhD yes but I'm struggling at the moment with how I am sad.gif I lost 2 other people I thought were some of my best mates today. Shows how wrong you can be on things. I hope I never see them again.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Sep 30 2008, 02:46 PM
As I look at it, guitars and dogs are the only things that won't disappoint. The worse things get the better you can play the blues...I swear - so that's an upside. Keep on slugging along, life is cyclical it has it's ups and downs. Sometimes you're riding high sometimes you're down slamming low - just the way it is I suppose. Generally all the bad stuff happens at once and becomes overwhelming. I would advise head banging to Carcass at ear deafing levels while slamming a 12 pack - but that's just me.

This post has been edited by fatb0t: Sep 30 2008, 02:46 PM

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Sep 30 2008, 02:49 PM
QUOTE (fatb0t @ Sep 30 2008, 02:46 PM) *
As I look at it, guitars and dogs are the only things that won't disappoint. The worse things get the better you can play the blues...I swear - so that's an upside. Keep on slugging along, life is cyclical it has it's ups and downs. Sometimes you're riding high sometimes you're down slamming low - just the way it is I suppose. Generally all the bad stuff happens at once and becomes overwhelming. I would advise head banging to Carcass at ear deafing levels while slamming a 12 pack - but that's just me.

I'm going for a proper restaurant meal tonight and then off to the pub with a mate to watch the football and then having a guitar jam with him which will be cool. I haven't jammed with him in a long time so hopefully that is good. I feel really ill today but I would do with how I am I guess.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 30 2008, 02:59 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Sep 30 2008, 03:49 PM) *
I'm going for a proper restaurant meal tonight and then off to the pub with a mate to watch the football and then having a guitar jam with him which will be cool. I haven't jammed with him in a long time so hopefully that is good. I feel really ill today but I would do with how I am I guess.

Now that sounds like an excellent plan O.C. I'll practice alone as usual.
Now I'm depressed sad.gif

laugh.gif joking man, hope you have a great time smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Sep 30 2008, 03:04 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ Sep 30 2008, 02:59 PM) *
Now that sounds like an excellent plan O.C. I'll practice alone as usual.
Now I'm depressed sad.gif

laugh.gif joking man, hope you have a great time smile.gif

That's the only good thing lol. With playing for 6 years I've met loads of contacts and friends that I can jam with which is cool. I'm not as good as most guitarists playing for 6 years but I have met loads of people.

Whack on your favourite CD and play along smile.gif Then you wont feel alone. I do it a lot. Play along with Judas Priest. It's always fun playing guitar in your bedroom in leathers after riding in on a motorbike lol biggrin.gif

The bit after Judas Priest doesn't really happen you'll be glad to know biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 30 2008, 03:18 PM
Instructor
Hey OC, if your bandmates don't help you with songs, I think you should talk with them, tell them about your situation, and that you want everybody to commit to writing songs. If they are you bandmates and friends they will understand, and try to help you.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 1 2008, 09:16 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 30 2008, 03:18 PM) *
Hey OC, if your bandmates don't help you with songs, I think you should talk with them, tell them about your situation, and that you want everybody to commit to writing songs. If they are you bandmates and friends they will understand, and try to help you.

Yeah I'm trying to push that forward as it is a lot easier having help when writing songs and more fun to see the songs coming together.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Nazgul
Oct 1 2008, 09:26 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 1 2008, 10:16 AM) *
Yeah I'm trying to push that forward as it is a lot easier having help when writing songs and more fun to see the songs coming together.

I have the same problem with my band. They often don't want to participate when writing songs, but sometimes I'm quite fine with it, because then all my musical ideas can be realised. wink.gif Though it's pretty hard without some help sometimes. huh.gif

This post has been edited by Nazgul: Oct 1 2008, 09:26 AM

--------------------
Chuck Norris rules!

+Quote Post
Vinod Saranga
Oct 1 2008, 12:11 PM
Acoustic Instructor
Hey OC 

you just confused.

Get orgainized again  biggrin.gif

Sometimes you feel like you can't do anything.It's normal.Keep away from the guitar for a while.Do a new thing.In few days you will realize how good you are!

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:38 AM