Acoustic Steel String For Fingerstyle/similar, any suggestions?
BTrian
Nov 10 2012, 02:48 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey,

I'm considering getting a steel string and would like to ask if you have any suggestions
price range would be sth between 600 and 1000€

I've been playing classical guitar for some years and got a Hanika 54 PF which is great for more classical stuff itself.
Since a few months also enjoy some of the more modern stuff around (Candyrat ppl., Tommy Emmanuel, Eric Mongrain, Justin King, ...)
So quite more fingerstyle than strumming and plec work.
Started with some tapping and percussive stuff. While this is doable on my classic guitar, I would kind of enjoy having the slightly more percussive sound of a steel string, lower string height (for tapping and such) and access to higher frets. Clear and loud harmonics are also a problem on my classic guitar.

Cutaway would be nice, but not a must. Not that sure bout preamp (guess there's few cutaway guitars without preamp anyways), would be nice for recording, messing around with a looper and similar. So if it's got preamp/pickup stuff it shouldn't be too crappy (and not magnetic).

sound wise it should be loud and not too thin and trebly (so possibly mahogany?)

no idea bout the shape and such so far, have no real problem with my hanika which has a rather wide neck (52 mm).
In any case sound and playability is prior to fancy looks and such.

going to try some stuff in that store next week http://www.musikhaus-korn.de/en
to get a feeling for the different shapes and woods, so if you've got any suggestions for specific models please rather something that is available on that site or thomann ( http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html ) and no exclusive on the other side of the world or used ebay stuff wink.gif.

not that many ideas so far, liked the sound of that one on samples and some youtube stuff http://www.thomann.de/gb/takamine_ef340sc_gn.htm

meh long post again, but maybe some1 reads through and got some ideas biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by BTrian: Nov 10 2012, 02:49 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 11 2012, 09:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (BTrian @ Nov 10 2012, 01:48 AM) *
not that many ideas so far, liked the sound of that one on samples and some youtube stuff http://www.thomann.de/gb/takamine_ef340sc_gn.htm

meh long post again, but maybe some1 reads through and got some ideas biggrin.gif

HA! A close friend of mine wanted to buy this one for me in Tel Aviv for 750 euros last month! Since I am short on cash due to the whole deal with the EP release of my band, I said no, but I trust his expertise and he told me that this is the best thing to get for this sort of cash. If you can get yer hands on it and try it, I'd strongly advise you to anyway!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 12 2012, 05:04 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! I love that acoustic style! I have not too much experience with Acoustic guitars, but I could try Yamaha and Takamine. The first brand is good, but the second one is much better for me, and they have many models that are more comfortable to play. I think that you should ask this guys who plays the style that you like very well and professionally.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showuser=15427

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 12 2012, 05:13 PM
Instructor
Oh yeah, Oscar is the man for this smile.gif

+Quote Post
Osedmen
Nov 13 2012, 02:25 PM
GMC:er
thanks Gabriel and Cosmin for suggest smile.gif

Adrian...

Ok, first the fingerstyle or fingerpicking technic is other world because is for example a hybrid between electric and classical guitar , and is very important study the technic quiet and slowed.

if you are interested to buy a excellent guitar to iniciate fingerstyle guitar check out this.... is a good option....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/rec...electric-guitar

Thanks man! bye!

--------------------
.:: Colombian fingerstyle guitar player ::.

.:: Now available on iTunes - Spotify - Amazon - Deezer - rhapsody and more ! ::.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/lone-spirit/id1057969440

https://open.spotify.com/album/2SALF0jTOJgZD57nl3A4QO

.:: Did you watch my first videoclip? ::.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IClzXkQI8E

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 13 2012, 03:32 PM
Instructor
Thanks for appearing here Oscar! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 14 2012, 12:16 AM
Instructor
Thanks Oscar!

+Quote Post
mad
Nov 15 2012, 11:06 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Some more percussive/fingerstyle acoustic guitar lessons here on GMC would be awesome! Would you mind to give some lessons here on GMC Oscar biggrin.gif ?

+Quote Post
Osedmen
Nov 16 2012, 02:43 PM
GMC:er
Hi Mad, thanks for the support.

--------------------
.:: Colombian fingerstyle guitar player ::.

.:: Now available on iTunes - Spotify - Amazon - Deezer - rhapsody and more ! ::.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/lone-spirit/id1057969440

https://open.spotify.com/album/2SALF0jTOJgZD57nl3A4QO

.:: Did you watch my first videoclip? ::.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IClzXkQI8E

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Nov 30 2012, 05:24 AM
Instructor
I would suggest Eleixir very good strings and last for a long time I always use those for my acoustic guitars!
Check them out http://www.zzounds.com/item--ELI11050
Also I would suggest to use a thicker gear like 12 this way you will get a really fat sound

+Quote Post
BTrian
Nov 30 2012, 07:51 AM
Learning Roadie
thx, ye guess I'll end up with elixirs anyways, my hands just destroy everything else quite fast dry.gif
Guitar wise I'm gonna spend another day at the Thomann store today, so may give an update with what I finally end up later today.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Nov 30 2012, 08:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (BTrian @ Nov 30 2012, 06:51 AM) *
thx, ye guess I'll end up with elixirs anyways, my hands just destroy everything else quite fast dry.gif
Guitar wise I'm gonna spend another day at the Thomann store today, so may give an update with what I finally end up later today.

Sounds good! smile.gif I am excited to hear what you've got!!!!

+Quote Post
BTrian
Nov 30 2012, 10:17 PM
Learning Roadie
back.
once again spent a day in that store, just amazing oO
tried a bunch of Mid range Martins, Seagulls and similar stuff but wasn't really getting the sound I wanted.
finally got stuck on various Cedar Top, Mahogany Body Takamines which were just awesome in volume and depth.

ended up with sth close to the one I posted in the beginning smile.gif
Takamine EF 440 SC GN
the shape feels really comfortable, sound fits and I just love the natural finish

so here it comes
(sry only cam around is my webcam, light isn't the best, same for my photograph talent biggrin.gif, but at least you get an idea of what it looks like)

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

now part of my trio of doom biggrin.gif
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Nov 30 2012, 10:44 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Congratulation !

Takamine was a good choice !

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Dec 1 2012, 12:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (BTrian @ Nov 30 2012, 09:17 PM) *
back.
tried a bunch of Mid range Martins, Seagulls and similar stuff but wasn't really getting the sound I wanted.
finally got stuck on various Cedar Top, Mahogany Body Takamines which were just awesome in volume and depth.

Takamine EF 440 SC GN
the shape feels really comfortable, sound fits and I just love the natural finish

so here it comes
(sry only cam around is my webcam, light isn't the best, same for my photograph talent biggrin.gif, but at least you get an idea of what it looks like)

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

Amazing choice man!!!! Very nice guitar! Congrats! Very happy for you!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 1 2012, 12:45 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (BTrian @ Nov 30 2012, 10:17 PM) *
back.

Takamine EF 440 SC GN

so here it comes

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

Congratulations - the guitar looks awesome! smile.gif
Its very good that you have tried a bunch of different instruments - there is just no other way to choose THE PERFECT one as you are always the final judge. Even if you go for the highest end instruments ever, you will still "hate" sound of some of those guitars and relatively easily feel what is "the one" smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:09 PM