My New Band - Bilbord
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 21 2015, 11:10 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hey guys! smile.gif

I just wanted to share with you what is going on musically with me lately. I have relatively recently joined a new band called "Bilbord". We are aiming for psychedelic/brit/pop/indie sound and play under strong 60s influence. The band setup is 1 guitar, bass, drums and vocals. Vocalist also plays the acoustic guitar live in some of the songs.

One day, I was looking through the band ads and found this band looking for a bassist. They don't do covers, only originals and I really liked the songs I heard. I have sent them a message and then - nothing smile.gif After few months I get the call, they need a bass player and I got the invitation. We clicked together quickly, mostly due to matching 60s influences with The Beatles being my favourite band, even though I didn't have much experience actually playing this genre of music since my previous band was funk/rock one. I did always want to play more melodic and relaxed brit/pop kind of music.

Before I share some links to the songs and music, I'd like to ask if anyone would like to know any more details or have any questions/feedback for me? smile.gif For example, how did I approach the audition, learning songs, fitting in with the rest of the band etc... I'll be glad to chat about this, I just don't want to kill you with a long opening post smile.gif

Most recent music video with me in it :

Soundcloud playlist with all currently published songs : https://soundcloud.com/bilbordbg/sets/bilbord-music

Band is currently working on composing and recording the remaining songs for the first album release.

This is probabbly my favorite song due to strong Beatles vibes I get from it:

https://soundcloud.com/bilbordbg/susret-sa-prosloscu

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 22 2015, 02:32 PM
Instructor
Hi Bodgan! Congrats on your new band! It sounds very professional. You guys have some good songs, with tasty melodies and arrangements. The production is also very good, as well as the overall sound. I like how guitars are arranged, simple but effective.

What about the bass lines? Are you adding your own stuff to them or everything was totally defined before you entered to the band?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2015, 07:51 AM
GMC:er
KIller!!! Great sounding stuff and very cool vid!!! Super congrats on your new band!! keep us in the loop!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 24 2015, 02:07 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 22 2015, 02:32 PM) *
Hi Bodgan! Congrats on your new band! It sounds very professional. You guys have some good songs, with tasty melodies and arrangements. The production is also very good, as well as the overall sound. I like how guitars are arranged, simple but effective.

What about the bass lines? Are you adding your own stuff to them or everything was totally defined before you entered to the band?

When it comes to songs which already had bass lines recorded or were set in stone, I did my best to learn them note for note so that when playing the songs live, they don't steer away too much from the studio recordings. Of course, I didn't manage to learn it exactly note for note as on the recording so there are some improvisations of mine in there and I'm playing them with my feel. What was interesting to me is that songs had bass lines composed in very similar way I'd approach them so when I was learning the songs by ear, I could intuitively guess the fills/licks etc. This also made it very easy to make the songs feel "my own" when playing them with the band.This helped me with audition tremendously as I left a good impression since I was able to play almost all the songs band had and they sounded pretty good from the "first try". I think this is generally a good tip for attending auditions : do your best to learn the songs the way they are composed/recorded by the band. Preparation and preparation is the key. You can't really do yourself a favor if you don't learn the songs well and expect band to "wait for you". It is also always better to learn less songs but really well, than many songs but each with some flaws. I have noticed that a lot of guitarists would show up for auditions with my other band and that they would not actually put the effort in. It is like they think "it is just an audition" so they don't need to commit fully (as they don't know if they are going to make it) which in all the cases didn't get them in the band so they in the end actually wasted their time and band's as well.

I got a chance to be involved in composing new songs and re-doing bass lines for songs which were not set in stone. It is very fun to start playing this genre of music and exploring the possibilities. I always liked it, I just never hand a chance to actually play it with a band smile.gif There is lots of exploration and experimentation involved.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 24 2015, 07:51 AM) *
KIller!!! Great sounding stuff and very cool vid!!! Super congrats on your new band!! keep us in the loop!

Thanks a lot Todd, glad you liked the video! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 26 2015, 05:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jan 24 2015, 10:07 AM) *
When it comes to songs which already had bass lines recorded or were set in stone, I did my best to learn them note for note so that when playing the songs live, they don't steer away too much from the studio recordings. Of course, I didn't manage to learn it exactly note for note as on the recording so there are some improvisations of mine in there and I'm playing them with my feel. What was interesting to me is that songs had bass lines composed in very similar way I'd approach them so when I was learning the songs by ear, I could intuitively guess the fills/licks etc. This also made it very easy to make the songs feel "my own" when playing them with the band.This helped me with audition tremendously as I left a good impression since I was able to play almost all the songs band had and they sounded pretty good from the "first try". I think this is generally a good tip for attending auditions : do your best to learn the songs the way they are composed/recorded by the band. Preparation and preparation is the key. You can't really do yourself a favor if you don't learn the songs well and expect band to "wait for you". It is also always better to learn less songs but really well, than many songs but each with some flaws. I have noticed that a lot of guitarists would show up for auditions with my other band and that they would not actually put the effort in. It is like they think "it is just an audition" so they don't need to commit fully (as they don't know if they are going to make it) which in all the cases didn't get them in the band so they in the end actually wasted their time and band's as well.

I got a chance to be involved in composing new songs and re-doing bass lines for songs which were not set in stone. It is very fun to start playing this genre of music and exploring the possibilities. I always liked it, I just never hand a chance to actually play it with a band smile.gif There is lots of exploration and experimentation involved.

That's a very interesting experience and also a very important tip for auditions. I remember my first audition when I was 17 and I had the same attitude, learning the songs as they were composed and playing them by once the closer to the recording adding only some little arrangements to the solos, only when I felt that I was improving them. It was my first and maybe unique audition in my life but the guys liked it and I became part of the band. It was a Power/Progressive Metal band with really cool songs.

4 years later I formed my own band and had lots of experiences with drummers that we tried during the first 7 or 8 years and once again I have to agree with the importance of your tip. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:47 PM