Thinking About Changing Daw, Want something user-friendly
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 9 2010, 08:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
Been using (or not using...) Cubase for as long as I can remember, but I've come to terms with that I don't find it as user friendly as other DAWs seem to be when watching videos etc. of them in use.

What are your suggestions? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 9 2010, 09:04 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I never came to like Cubase myself. What I look for in a DAW is that it's intuitive. You just know what to do and how to do things.

Sony ACID was very user friendly, but sucked the resources out of my compuer. Made it impossible to use.
Now I'm on Samplitude 10 and love it. Easy to use, works the way I like it to. Has the flow I'm looking for.

We're all different and it's difficult to really reccomend what's good, since we're all using DAW's differently and what works for me might not work at all for someone else.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 9 2010, 09:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
Sure, man. I just feel Cubase is a bit of a hassle to work with. I'd like something more... I'm tempted to say "drag-and-drop"-ish, but still not like...some cheesy program, if you know what I mean.

--------------------

+Quote Post
OzRob
Mar 9 2010, 10:59 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 10 2010, 06:11 AM) *
Sure, man. I just feel Cubase is a bit of a hassle to work with. I'd like something more... I'm tempted to say "drag-and-drop"-ish, but still not like...some cheesy program, if you know what I mean.

I'm using Mixcraft 4.5 and 5. Very drag-and-drop and very intuitive to use. Relatively cheap but packed with useful features. Utilises VST plugins beautifully but 5 is a recent release and currently has a problem with several third-party plugins.

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Mar 9 2010, 11:06 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I know Repear is pretty popular.. there are some freee ones too.
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

Free.
http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/index.php

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

http://www.anvilstudio.com/

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 9 2010, 11:10 PM
Learning Tone Master
I think it depends on which user-level You want to work on. I dont find neither Pro-tools, Logic or Ableton any easier than Cubase. If You wanna work on a top-level feature wise, they are all a little bit messy imo. Maybe You shall try a light version of Cubase? If You don't need that many features, why don't try reaper or Sweet Little Sixteen? They are cheap and will work for most recording situations in a home environment.

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 9 2010, 11:31 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I have been working manly with Cubase and Nuendo and when I tried Pro Tools or Reaper I was really lost. Truth is that Cubase (or Nuendo) are top notch DAW to work with...You just have to explore it a bit and what really helps is working with some Tutorials for it in order to learn basic features...

I don't really find them messy or anything, they just need some time to get used to...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 11 2010, 02:43 AM
Instructor
I am a "Sonar" fan and trully vote for it.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 11 2010, 02:47 PM
Instructor
I work with Nuendo, and after viewing Steinberg's official tutorials for it (Internar Mixing, and mastering, something like that...) I find it very easy to work with. Don't know what can be the problem with Cubase, specially the 4 and after versions (since they allow drag & drop on the mixer inserts, and all kinds of new features). If you really don't like it, try something like Sonar possibly.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 11 2010, 03:24 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 11 2010, 02:47 PM) *
I work with Nuendo, and after viewing Steinberg's official tutorials for it (Internar Mixing, and mastering, something like that...) I find it very easy to work with. ...

Good idea Ivan -

there are lots of video/DVD, magazine and book tutorials for Cubase. Often with a complicated daw (and all the major ones are complicated) a lot of what it can do and workflow shortcuts aren't apparent from the official manual so it can really help to have these things laid out in a tutorial.

I'd also generally agree with Bogdan - switching to another daw might not help. You will have to learn a whole new interface and workflow and you'll have to forget the tricks/shortcuts that are Cubase specific. Generally I'd suggest switching to a different daw only if it does something specific that yours doesn't and/or really does give a greatly improved workflow for you. With the workflow the only way to know is to test it and that means you need to get a demo/lite copy to play with.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 11 2010, 09:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 11 2010, 02:47 PM) *
I work with Nuendo, and after viewing Steinberg's official tutorials for it (Internar Mixing, and mastering, something like that...) I find it very easy to work with. Don't know what can be the problem with Cubase, specially the 4 and after versions (since they allow drag & drop on the mixer inserts, and all kinds of new features). If you really don't like it, try something like Sonar possibly.

Well, I'm still on version 3. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Mar 11 2010, 10:09 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I am an Ableton fan. I've tried a lot of DAW but couldn't find anything easier than Ableton.
You can try it for free. smile.gif

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Mar 11 2010, 10:20 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I can't really recommend anything because I'm in the same boat as you. Been using Reaper and I feel like I just need something else so I can be more creative and productive.

I've just started looking into Sequel 2 and for me I'm thinking this looks pretty cool. Maybe it will work for you also. Check out the links.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/music...n/sequel_2.html
http://www.sequel-music.net/en/home.html

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 11 2010, 10:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 11 2010, 10:20 PM) *
I can't really recommend anything because I'm in the same boat as you. Been using Reaper and I feel like I just need something else so I can be more creative and productive.

I've just started looking into Sequel 2 and for me I'm thinking this looks pretty cool. Maybe it will work for you also. Check out the links.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/music...n/sequel_2.html
http://www.sequel-music.net/en/home.html

Looks great man and something like that what I had in mind!

I'll try the trial in one of these days.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Mar 17 2010, 06:22 PM
Instructor
Nuendo is pretty intuitive in my opinion, then again Sonar was good too....but my vote is for nuendo

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:07 PM