3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Secrets Of Speed Picking, "Tricks of the Trade"
Todd Simpson
Jun 14 2012, 08:00 PM
GMC:er
Just to be clear, I"m NOT saying "NEVER USE A THIN PICK!", they are great for all kinds of stuff. I usually suggest a thick/sharp pick for playing along with me in our SATURDAY METAL MELTDOWN as it reduces hand fatigue, helps with precision/speed, encourages certain hand physics, etc. But we are playing VERY specific stuff. Even if you have a "Practice Pick" thats thick/sharp for doing my workouts, you still may want a thinner/rounder pick for your regular play, especially if your style calls for it smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 14 2012, 02:43 PM) *
I found a guy on YT a while ago and he had amazing, amazing speed and he used a silly, thin pick too so there's no limits smile.gif

Great point smile.gif In the end it really does come down to the player! The reason I'm always on about thick/sharp, is to help train your hand in proper motion. Much like the STYLUS PICK, a sharp/thick pick almost forces the hand to adapt to motion that is efficient for alternate picking. Once you have it down, you can use just about any pick you like smile.gif

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 14 2012, 08:01 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
derper
Jun 14 2012, 08:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
Actually, the 8.0 mm V-Pick insanity is the only pick you are supposed to use, ever. tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 15 2012, 09:04 AM
QUOTE (derper @ Jun 14 2012, 03:08 PM) *
Actually, the 8.0 mm V-Pick insanity is the only pick you are supposed to use, ever. tongue.gif

Well said! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 15 2012, 09:20 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Jun 14 2012, 08:08 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif

8mm !!

+Quote Post
Yash
Jun 15 2012, 02:46 PM
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Jun 14 2012, 11:42 PM) *
This is not what Todd suggested but I like my pick as thin as possible. At the moment I use one that is 0.73mm thick. It gives me more room to move in between strings.. But maybe I am wrong, most probably I am since Todd says opposite smile.gif what do you think GMCers?

I am with you. I use Tortex TIII .73mm. Its got the tip of a Jazz III and its thin, so works well for me. It takes much more force when using thicker picks. But that's just me. tongue.gif

I do often use Jazz III and ocassionally Tortex Sharpie .73mm

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 16 2012, 09:54 AM
QUOTE (Yash @ Jun 15 2012, 09:46 AM) *
I am with you. I use Tortex TIII .73mm. Its got the tip of a Jazz III and its thin, so works well for me. It takes much more force when using thicker picks. But that's just me. tongue.gif

The Tortex sharpie and jazz three are both fine picks. smile.gif I usually demo them in chat.

"Take more force using thick picks"? - Hmm. This is odd, it takes me about half or less force using thick pick over a thin. It may be how your picking.

I was really glad to see vendors making SHARP PICKS at the factory. I"ve been banging on about the benefits of pointy picks for quite some time. (AGAIN, not saying you can't play anything you want and faster than yngwie even with a rounded plank of wood)
Just happy that you can pick up factory sharp picks and not have to sharpen them with a knife or like ben, on the carpet!

.73 is a decently thick pick. Just under what I'd think of as "Thick" which is about 1.00 mm. I played 1.0mm claytons for quite some time until I got faster than the pick. At that point, I need a pick that would keep up a bit better at top speed which (for me personally) ended up being a thicker pick. Less flex, bit more precision for my particular style of play. Been using them ever since. Then I found the V-PICK SWITCHBLADE and Vinnie Sharpens them at the Factory! So I use both. wink.gif

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 16 2012, 09:56 AM

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Jun 16 2012, 10:14 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Yash @ Jun 15 2012, 01:46 PM) *

I think you may need to choke up on your guitar pick, friend. Try using the least amount of guitar pick possible. It will allow for greater accuracy, control, and dare I say, AMAZING pinch harmonics.

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Marcost
Jun 16 2012, 12:10 PM
Hi all,

This is my experience - I used thin picks for many years (and I mean many - 20+) but really struggled with speed and accuracy. Changing to a heavier pick a couple of years ago seemed like a backward step at the time, but it has absolutely transformed my playing.

In my mind, the fewer floppy things there are in the string/pick vicinity the better. With a heavier pick, only the string is going to give way and I was amazed after a while how I could 'feel' the strings much better than I ever could. I can now really feel how the movement of my whole hand translates into each string. This gives me much better control and dynamics.

It also really helps with speed for me, because I can feel the pick sitting on either side of the string when alternate picking. And I can also do simple sweep picking now, which I never could before, and i think that is for the same reason.

It has also relaxed my right hand and finger grip, again because the string is going to move rather than the pick. This was important for me because I was getting pain in my right hand and fingers, through gripping too hard and moving my fingers rather than my wrist.

I currently use dunlop tortex 1.14mm (purple ones).

Best regards

Martin

+Quote Post
Arpeggio
Jun 16 2012, 12:23 PM
How about the type of guitar and how it is set up?

I have a Jackson RP3 (now discontinued) its action is average not particularly low. I once tried an Ibanez in a shop and the strings were so low it felt weird from what I am used to, but I assumed it was to minimize movement for things like sweep picking etc? On my RP3 the higher up the neck you go the further away the strings are from the frets. I can't get the action any lower without string buzz so sweeped arpeggios above the 12th fret would be more tricky.

I'd love to know!

--------------------
Founder of new startup social network site that brings the good aspects of MySpace, Twitter and FaceBook together.

MyTwitFace.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 17 2012, 06:34 AM
Learning Roadie
Arpeggio, it sounds like a truss rod adjustment or professional set up would help

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Arpeggio
Jun 17 2012, 11:55 AM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jun 17 2012, 06:34 AM) *
Arpeggio, it sounds like a truss rod adjustment or professional set up would help

You think so? The neck is straight. A slightly higher nut (0.5mm or so) would make lowering the strings more equal from the 1st to the 24th fret. At the moment if you lower the bridge the 12th and above is fine but down the bottom of the neck not so much. I wouldn't be suprised if shred guitars have slightly higher nuts, maybe I need a higher nut.

--------------------
Founder of new startup social network site that brings the good aspects of MySpace, Twitter and FaceBook together.

MyTwitFace.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 20 2012, 06:35 PM
QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Jun 16 2012, 05:14 AM) *
I think you may need to choke up on your guitar pick, friend. Try using the least amount of guitar pick possible. It will allow for greater accuracy, control, and dare I say, AMAZING pinch harmonics.

Well said! smile.gif I usually choke up to where only the tip is extending. Much easier to control the strikes that way. If a player has trained his hand to pick without choking up, it's going to take some effort to retrain but it's possible. smile.gif

QUOTE (Marcost @ Jun 16 2012, 07:10 AM) *
Hi all,

This is my experience - I used thin picks for many years (and I mean many - 20+) but really struggled with speed and accuracy. Changing to a heavier pick a couple of years ago seemed like a backward step at the time, but it has absolutely transformed my playing.

In my mind, the fewer floppy things there are in the string/pick vicinity the better. With a heavier pick, only the string is going to give way and I was amazed after a while how I could 'feel' the strings much better than I ever could. I can now really feel how the movement of my whole hand translates into each string. This gives me much better control and dynamics.

It also really helps with speed for me, because I can feel the pick sitting on either side of the string when alternate picking. And I can also do simple sweep picking now, which I never could before, and i think that is for the same reason.

It has also relaxed my right hand and finger grip, again because the string is going to move rather than the pick. This was important for me because I was getting pain in my right hand and fingers, through gripping too hard and moving my fingers rather than my wrist.

I currently use dunlop tortex 1.14mm (purple ones).

Best regards

Martin

BINGO! And well said smile.gif

QUOTE (Arpeggio @ Jun 16 2012, 07:23 AM) *
How about the type of guitar and how it is set up?

I have a Jackson RP3 (now discontinued) its action is average not particularly low. I once tried an Ibanez in a shop and the strings were so low it felt weird from what I am used to, but I assumed it was to minimize movement for things like sweep picking etc? On my RP3 the higher up the neck you go the further away the strings are from the frets. I can't get the action any lower without string buzz so sweeped arpeggios above the 12th fret would be more tricky.

I'd love to know!

"So low it felt wierd" Well, to each his own smile.gif But having the strings low can make certain aspect of play easier. It's not an accident that many of the players I'm fond of have many elements in common in terms of setup. Low string action among them. Some folks really want to work for it and set the action high and it's just awesome for them so more power to them. Personally, I can't stand guitars that are set that way, but whatever works.

As for your guitar, if you want to get the action lower and reduce buzz, and since it's a pretty nice Axe, I'd suggest taking it to a music shop and talking to their guitar tech to see if he can set it up a bit better. You can try it yourself, but if you are not careful, you'll just make it worse.

QUOTE (Arpeggio @ Jun 17 2012, 06:55 AM) *
You think so? The neck is straight. A slightly higher nut (0.5mm or so) would make lowering the strings more equal from the 1st to the 24th fret. At the moment if you lower the bridge the 12th and above is fine but down the bottom of the neck not so much. I wouldn't be suprised if shred guitars have slightly higher nuts, maybe I need a higher nut.

Without relying too much on "maybe" just take it in and see what they say. Could be a simple fix wink.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 20 2012, 06:38 PM
Learning Roadie
I think the lack of patience is what holds me back.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 20 2012, 08:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jun 20 2012, 06:38 PM) *

laugh.gif

I love that honesty !

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jun 20 2012, 08:45 PM
I personally wear my entire guitar below my belt. Thats the way I like it my only problem is reaching the A string or the low E string with my pinky finger. But by accident I found a way around this. I almost always put my foot up on something when I am playing. Speakers, Amp's,my couch or my bed in my room smile.gif ect. Then I have no problem reaching anywhere with my pinky. Then again I am 6'3 so I have long arms.

QUOTE (thefireball @ Jun 20 2012, 05:38 PM) *

It is the same for me smile.gif Sometimes I want to learn something in the next 5min and if it takes longer I get frustrated. I think Patience is skill to build as well.

--------------------
Never miss an opportunity to play

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 20 2012, 09:02 PM
if you are good enough, you can play sitting down if you like, or with the guitar strapped to the front of your ass with your legs behind your head for that matter. it won't matter, if you are good enough, the other 3 or 4 guys won't be in any position to complain. man do we live in an age of conformity, although I don't think most realize that.

ddit: you can play better sitting, don't kid yourself. which is why most always people record in that position. I like the V-pick screamer, which is pointed and thick. the medium pointed is ok, but I prefer the screamer, it seems a bit smoother.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 20 2012, 09:13 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 20 2012, 10:15 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 20 2012, 03:25 PM) *
laugh.gif

I love that honesty !

Well said smile.gif The "Lack of Patience" is one of the biggest hurdles in trying get good at pretty much anything. That too is part of the journey. IT's not done all at once, just take it bit by bit.

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Jun 20 2012, 10:44 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jun 20 2012, 05:38 PM) *

Remember, the only opponent is within. See you next time *points at the screen*....
Ummmm .... that's not me ... huh.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 21 2012, 09:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Jun 20 2012, 10:44 PM) *
Remember, the only opponent is within. See you next time *points at the screen*....
Ummmm .... that's not me ... huh.gif biggrin.gif

Somebody's getting 1000 pushups before breakfast.... ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Arpeggio
Jun 22 2012, 04:27 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 20 2012, 06:35 PM) *
"So low it felt wierd" Well, to each his own smile.gif But having the strings low can make certain aspect of play easier. It's not an accident that many of the players I'm fond of have many elements in common in terms of setup. Low string action among them. Some folks really want to work for it and set the action high and it's just awesome for them so more power to them. Personally, I can't stand guitars that are set that way, but whatever works.

As for your guitar, if you want to get the action lower and reduce buzz, and since it's a pretty nice Axe, I'd suggest taking it to a music shop and talking to their guitar tech to see if he can set it up a bit better. You can try it yourself, but if you are not careful, you'll just make it worse.

Without relying too much on "maybe" just take it in and see what they say. Could be a simple fix wink.gif

Thanks Todd good to hear it confirmed from an experienced player. I'll probably go into a music shop sometime and try some other guitars out, haven't bought one for 9 years anyway.

--------------------

MyTwitFace.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:31 PM