Guitarist Levels, Your path to 1000 hours
DarkWaveRiffer
Apr 8 2012, 06:07 PM
GMC:er
I think its safe to safe if you have a 1000 hours under your belt, you have a good understanding of what you are doing. I am going to be using this for my progress. I have come up with a fun way of reaching goals. I would like to invite the instructors to give their input, but I have come up with dividing up the hours from 0-1000 into 7 levels.

Hours Title
0-10 Guitar Hero Defector
11-50 Air Guitarist
51-100 Guitar Not A Zero
101-300 Ax Grinder
301-500 Shred N Butter Man
501-750 Guitar Virtu-So-So
751-1000 Guitar Hero

What I would like to know is given the average person what things should the know at the various levels? Do you think we could quantify? I like the idea of having a measuring stick to strive to meet, and beat. I have made the hours not to be too long between titles. People can get to Ax Grinder pretty fast. We could create a chart to show what kind of techniques, scales, chords, songs would be equivalent at this level. We could take this beyond 1000 hours, if others who are past this want to develop this further.

To me, its about the practice time, the good practice time. I can riff away aimlessly and not get better. I think if we record, observe, and evaluate our practice time. We will see great strides in progress. We all know its not how long you have owned a guitar, or had access to one, but how long you have been playing, and pushing yourself to get better.I would like to hear your thoughts. I think this could be a lot of fun.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

My goal is to learn to play guitar like its my second language, and my first words to the world will be "Bite Me!".

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title: Air Guitarist

Guitarist Title thread

DWR's EPIC Practice Journal l

DarkWaveRiffer's Modern Music Mentored By Cosmin Thread

Lead Mastery Mentored by Gab

Attacking Scales Mentored By Alex Thread

Want to know how to practice for success?? Click here!!

Are you sabotaging your practice? Click here!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 12 2012, 12:05 PM
Instructor
Mates, there's another thing here which should be taken into consideration. Only practicing will not transform you into a musician and it will not guarantee you will be able to perform on stage as well as you do it in your practice room.

In my opinion. alongside practicing, it takes a lot of stage experience and playing in front of people and with other people, to be able to fully express yourself. When you are subdued by pressure and stress, in the first years on stage you are most likely not going to be able to shine as you know you can. Pressure does that to us in most of the cases. I am not saying it is a rule, but it's a situation which occurs pretty often and should be thought upon.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Apr 12 2012, 12:07 PM

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Apr 13 2012, 10:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 12 2012, 04:05 AM) *
Mates, there's another thing here which should be taken into consideration. Only practicing will not transform you into a musician and it will not guarantee you will be able to perform on stage as well as you do it in your practice room.

In my opinion. alongside practicing, it takes a lot of stage experience and playing in front of people and with other people, to be able to fully express yourself. When you are subdued by pressure and stress, in the first years on stage you are most likely not going to be able to shine as you know you can. Pressure does that to us in most of the cases. I am not saying it is a rule, but it's a situation which occurs pretty often and should be thought upon.

spot on!

QUOTE (JTaylor @ Apr 13 2012, 03:25 AM) *
Todd, that is too cool! I now see if I practice 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, I can be a master in just over a year! I hope I don't have to take any bathroom breaks! laugh.gif Seriously though, very neat reply you gave there! smile.gif

I practice on the potty ~ but, no one want's to hear that, I'm sure tongue.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 13 2012, 02:09 PM) *
Ben brings up some great points here. The 10,000 hour thing is just one study by one guy and is a very general sort of thing. I only use it to illustrate my actual point,

The study takes into consideration all the aspects of the subject in general, subject meaning "craft". I first read this topic as it relates to becoming a pro-football player, not just a pro at passing to the 10 yard mark on the side-line. But all points considered, if you sit there staring at the clock in hopes you've reached an hour-milestone, then I think general reason for the study is being overlooked ~ you're not alone if you've been playing several years and aren't pro-material yet ~ understand it takes time, and a long time at that! Enjoy what you do, don't stare at the clock and you'll be a happier person cool.gif

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 14 2012, 03:03 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Apr 13 2012, 05:37 PM) *
spot on!
if you sit there staring at the clock in hopes you've reached an hour-milestone, then I think general reason for the study is being overlooked ~ you're not alone if you've been playing several years and aren't pro-material yet ~ understand it takes time, and a long time at that! Enjoy what you do, don't stare at the clock and you'll be a happier person cool.gif

Bingo smile.gif Well said.

QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Apr 13 2012, 07:16 PM) *
Lots of great points here. I agree its not about but ... So they are motivated by need to create, and that drives their practice. Practice should be fun. If its not, then find a way to make it so.

WOW! THIS IS JUST A KILLER POST!

FRAN PLEASE PLEASE ADD TO THE WIKI!

You really have some killer info here. You clearly read every post and put serious thought in to the reply. Well done. And best of all, YOU GET IT! Balancing progress with enjoyment, using tools/goals/procedure to enhance results and realizing their are not results in an of themselves, YES YES AND YES!

Well done wink.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 14 2012, 03:04 AM

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- DarkWaveRiffer   Guitarist Levels   Apr 8 2012, 06:07 PM
- - The Uncreator   I think 1,000 is actually low. Thats only 40 days ...   Apr 8 2012, 06:16 PM
- - DarkWaveRiffer   QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Apr 8 2012, 12:16 ...   Apr 8 2012, 06:37 PM
|- - SirJamsalot   QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Apr 8 2012, 10:37...   Apr 8 2012, 07:01 PM
nnn
- - Gabriel Leopardi   Hey! This initiative sounds really good! I...   Apr 8 2012, 07:02 PM
- - DarkWaveRiffer   QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 8 2012, 01...   Apr 8 2012, 07:14 PM
|- - SirJamsalot   QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Apr 8 2012, 11:14...   Apr 8 2012, 08:39 PM
nnn
- - PanicProne   It's an interesting idea. I've thought abo...   Apr 8 2012, 07:27 PM
- - dark dude   Even if I could give you a number to settle on, ev...   Apr 8 2012, 08:52 PM
- - DarkWaveRiffer   This is just a path to 1000 hours, not path to Gui...   Apr 8 2012, 09:00 PM
|- - SirJamsalot   QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Apr 8 2012, 01:00...   Apr 8 2012, 09:16 PM
nnn
- - dark dude   Take a look at Ben's Bushido tasks. It's n...   Apr 8 2012, 09:06 PM
- - Ben Higgins   This is a very cool and interesting thread ! ...   Apr 9 2012, 11:01 AM
- - JaxN4   Great Thread. Awesome answers by DarkDude, I tota...   Apr 9 2012, 11:39 AM
- - DarkWaveRiffer   I would probably double my practice time if I didn...   Apr 9 2012, 11:10 PM
- - DarkWaveRiffer   So I am going to be adding to my signature my curr...   Apr 12 2012, 01:29 AM
- - Todd Simpson   Great post! I000 is a great achievement! I...   Apr 12 2012, 04:35 AM
|- - JTaylor   QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 11 2012, 11:35 ...   Apr 13 2012, 11:25 AM
nnn
- - Mudbone   Well I have good news and bad news for you. The go...   Apr 12 2012, 04:52 AM
- - JaxN4   Todd, that is a great graph, thanks for the share....   Apr 12 2012, 05:20 AM
- - Ben Higgins   The thing about the 10,000 hours theory is that it...   Apr 12 2012, 09:28 AM
|- - JaxN4   , making it sound musical is always possible with ...   Apr 12 2012, 11:20 AM
|- - Mudbone   QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Apr 12 2012, 04:28 A...   Apr 12 2012, 02:43 PM
||- - Ben Higgins   QUOTE (Mudbone @ Apr 12 2012, 02:43 PM) I...   Apr 12 2012, 06:35 PM
||- - DarkWaveRiffer   Great stuff Mudbone! I am going to be adapting...   Apr 13 2012, 03:57 AM
||- - Ben Higgins   QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Apr 13 2012, 03:5...   Apr 13 2012, 08:28 AM
nnn
nnn
|- - Todd Simpson   Ben brings up some great points here. The 10,000 h...   Apr 13 2012, 10:09 PM
nnn
- - PosterBoy   Like Ben was saying our goal is to play music, mus...   Apr 12 2012, 09:53 AM
|- - DarkWaveRiffer   IF it wasn't for gmc, and everyone's uniqu...   Apr 16 2012, 07:57 AM
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - DarkWaveRiffer   Lots of great points here. I agree its not about w...   Apr 14 2012, 12:16 AM
- - Cosmin Lupu   Thanks on behalf of everyone mate! You seem t...   Apr 16 2012, 11:47 AM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:25 PM