Favorite Major Scale Solo?
Bear Rose
Jul 8 2011, 03:42 AM
Beginner Instructor
Hey GMC,

In my newest lesson, Beginner's Corner 13: C Major Scale, I composed a simple, straightforward solo using the C major scale. This got me to thinking about all the great solos out there that are in major keys.

Of course, when we want to rock, we tend to gravitate towards the minor/minor pentatonic keys, but I was wondering what is your favorite major scale solo?

One of my all time favorites would have to be Knockin' On Heaven's Door by Guns'N'Roses biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bear Rose: Jul 8 2011, 03:43 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 8 2011, 09:06 AM
Instructor
I would have to say the solo in Friends by Joe Satriani..

At least I think it's the Major scale, it sounds like it tongue.gif Solo begins at 1:43 but best listen to the whole song to get the context of it smile.gif

P.S. I knew I'd spell 'Friends' wrong, hence the edit ! laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Jul 8 2011, 09:06 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 8 2011, 12:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 8 2011, 08:06 AM) *
I would have to say the solo in Friends by Joe Satriani..

At least I think it's the Major scale, it sounds like it tongue.gif Solo begins at 1:43 but best listen to the whole song to get the context of it smile.gif

P.S. I knew I'd spell 'Friends' wrong, hence the edit ! laugh.gif

BEN! I love this tune! I missed it soo soo much biggrin.gif thanks for reminding me man! Hehe, well, my favorite would be this one as well, at the moment smile.gif Another interesting thing is that it is usually quite difficult to come up with a ballad in a major scale, have you noticed this?

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 8 2011, 01:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 8 2011, 12:52 PM) *
BEN! I love this tune! I missed it soo soo much biggrin.gif thanks for reminding me man! Hehe, well, my favorite would be this one as well, at the moment smile.gif Another interesting thing is that it is usually quite difficult to come up with a ballad in a major scale, have you noticed this?

Hey, glad that I reminded you of it.. it's great when things like that happen ! biggrin.gif

Well I don't really compose ballads as such, but I find it quite natural to pick up the guitar on a sunny day and able to strum a slow, wistful tune with some major chords.. usually in A smile.gif

+Quote Post
noztnac
Jul 8 2011, 02:53 PM
GMC:er
It is indeed major... and good.

+Quote Post
Brandon Earman
Jul 8 2011, 02:57 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Bear Rose @ Jul 7 2011, 09:42 PM) *
One of my all time favorites would have to be Knockin' On Heaven's Door by Guns'N'Roses biggrin.gif

Ironic, I did a demo last night of my new telecaster using the first solo from that song. Good taste. Slash may not have played the most technical of styles, but he could make that guitar sing and cry when he wanted to.

--------------------
"That's alright I still got my guitar, look out now!" -Hendrix

+Quote Post
Bear Rose
Jul 8 2011, 10:52 PM
Beginner Instructor
Wow, that Friends song is really sweet! I've not heard it before. Thanks for sharing that!

Cosmin, I actually find it much easier to compose a ballad with a major scale. For me, major scales feels much more natural and I tend to think more musically when using them as opposed to minor and minor pentatonic. But I guess I'm a bit backwards compared to most rock guitarists biggrin.gif

Brandon, the tone out of that tele is killer! Sounds almost exactly like Slash's tone in the song, which is surprising from a tele. I'm actually getting ready to share a demo video of my new tele that I just finished putting together. Mine doesn't have nearly the thick tone yours does, though cool.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:42 PM