5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Dinaga's Insane Lessons Hunt!, With small, achievable goals to success! :)
derper
Apr 21 2012, 03:50 AM
Learning Tone Master
Because of gigs (EMULATOR footage will be posted as soon as I get it!!) I've been away from GMC for a few weeks, yet practicing hard as ever!!

When I left, I had started mentoring with Cosmin, and was also working on his Vivaldi lesson (and as always, Muris' Country Advanced) before taking some time off. One thing I started to realize at that time: I need to improve my right hand picking efficiency, in order to EVER get those pieces up to speed.

So today at work (internet problems, or I would have posted video!!) I dug into both of those pieces for a while. When I was away from them, I put so much attention into my picking hand. I studied my grip(s) and tried to decrease my average pick stroke length.

That said, today.... I was able to get both pieces (after a bit of practice to "remember" them!! wink.gif ) up to a FASTER speed, than ever before!! I was able to pick through Country Picking Advanced at up to 130 bpm (155 is full speed!) with approx 80% accuracy. I'd have to REALLY work on 2 parts, to get it 100% (and I will!), but I just wanted to test (after warmup!!) my maximum picking speed on the main part. Before, I'd fall apart at 130. This time, it was SOLID!! I fall apart at about 140bpm now.

So, I have improved on my entire technique, even though I was away from these pieces.

Also, what got me inspired to focus on picking, was a month ago when I attempted the Vivaldi piece at full speed (130bpm) and realized that I would NEVER get it to 100% the way I was picking. I was using sloppy, jerky, inefficient movements that I couldn't seem to get away from. But now, I can technically play it that fast....but I need to practice a ton, before I can do it clean. Again, I am happy to know that I improved and have lifted the ceiling to my playing abilities overall!!

Thank you GMC, Dinaga, Cosmin, ALL of the instructors (past and present) and ALL of the students!! Only 5 months into GMC, and I'm so happy with the results!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maharzan
Apr 21 2012, 07:30 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Congratulations derper. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Apr 21 2012, 10:12 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I'm glad to hear that, Gabe! smile.gif I'm very happy for you and yes, it's amazing how one can improve his/her guitar skills on GMC with some will and dedication. Your attitude and commitment will bring your guitar playing to higher and higher levels, I do not doubt that at all! And I'm sure you'll master that advanced country picking lesson at 100%, just keep doing what you do so well wink.gif

I'm still practicing Mojo Oro but the transition from 80% to 90% is a LOT harder than any transition before. Right now I'm pushing my limits and the next video will be the biggest step so far! Stay tuned. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 21 2012, 11:54 AM
Instructor
Congrats Gabe! biggrin.gif you know, I think you just offered your body a time off in which it could settle information and solidify the technique while you were working on other things but focusing on picking really tight and accurate smile.gif

I am glad I can be of assistance and I am looking forward to continue working with you man! You know, you are a real inspiration for me as well, because your results are only a confirmation that the things I am suggesting are good tongue.gif If I may say so biggrin.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
derper
Apr 21 2012, 10:11 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks Dinaga!! Always great to see where you're at as well.... and despite your hand injury, you're coming back strong and playing clean (as always, from what I've seen!) and fast!

I used to think that I could NEVER get that lesson to 100%.....I mean, it's freakin' INSANE to see Muris do it so clean at full-speed!! And any prior attempts to even fumble through at near 155bpms made me feel like I could never physically achieve that. Which is why I am currently so HAPPY to see the progress I've made in the last 2 months, regarding picking efficiency!! It's giving me the feeling that SOMEDAY I can improve and take a full speed run.....

QUOTE (Dinaga @ Apr 21 2012, 02:12 AM) *
I'm glad to hear that, Gabe! smile.gif I'm very happy for you and yes, it's amazing how one can improve his/her guitar skills on GMC with some will and dedication. Your attitude and commitment will bring your guitar playing to higher and higher levels, I do not doubt that at all! And I'm sure you'll master that advanced country picking lesson at 100%, just keep doing what you do so well wink.gif

I'm still practicing Mojo Oro but the transition from 80% to 90% is a LOT harder than any transition before. Right now I'm pushing my limits and the next video will be the biggest step so far! Stay tuned. smile.gif

Absolutely right!! Though I took time off from my specific lessons, I was practicing hard as ever on my EMULATOR runs, so it gave me a chance to observe my habits in many different "scenarios" (onstage, at home, this riff/that riff, etc) and on totally different material.

So....big thanks for all the suggestions, and advice on my picking! I've still got a long way to go, and need to start submitting more vids (in the next week!) to keep getting feedback. Also, I'll make that video showcasing my picking from various angles, and I'll explain my "thumb defect" a bit more.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 21 2012, 03:54 AM) *
Congrats Gabe! biggrin.gif you know, I think you just offered your body a time off in which it could settle information and solidify the technique while you were working on other things but focusing on picking really tight and accurate smile.gif

I am glad I can be of assistance and I am looking forward to continue working with you man! You know, you are a real inspiration for me as well, because your results are only a confirmation that the things I am suggesting are good tongue.gif If I may say so biggrin.gif

Cosmin

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 22 2012, 03:00 PM
Instructor
Alrighty Gabe! Let's try and work out to reduce the problem as close to non-existence as possible smile.gif

+Quote Post
derper
Apr 22 2012, 05:41 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 22 2012, 07:00 AM) *
Alrighty Gabe! Let's try and work out to reduce the problem as close to non-existence as possible smile.gif

For the way I hold my pick (thumb injury!!), I imagine that the most efficient I'll ever be able to pick, is that of Stephane Lucarelli!!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Creati...ggios-Phrasing/

I'm always amazed at his touch, tone, vibrato, bends, and overall feel.....all while barely moving his picking hand!! It's so efficient, I'd swear he is sweep picking, even when he's not!!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Apr 22 2012, 07:14 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
ARGH! My hand hates my guts so much right now. I tried to record a 90% take of Mojo Oro and I am able to play it... somewhat... but it sounds pretty sloppy. And it hurts.

This is a real barrier. I also had to change the angle of my pick to be able to pick faster. I always held it completely parallel to the strings, but now I make an angle so it is "sharper", allowing me faster picking. But it feels a bit strange and often confuses me. I guess I'll get used to it.

Also, I noticed that at this stage it is very important what pick I use. Not only the thickness but also the material! Much interesting stuff happening in this journey... smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Apr 23 2012, 01:15 AM
Learning Tone Master
The V-Picks turned me onto the "not only thickness, but material" difference in tone. Lucky for me, the V-picks work great. Some, don't seem to....

I also tried a Pickboy Handmade Bone pick (I call it human-bone....more brutal!!) which is great, but not "the one". The bone tone is better than tortex, but not near as good as v-pick, and the bone is "slow". I can feel the resistance. Imagine rubbing bone on anything. Scratchy. Resistance.

Good luck on the journey!!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 23 2012, 07:13 AM
Instructor
Holding the pick parallel to the strings will provide cleaner tone indeed, man this is turning out to be a real struggle for success! I'm with you guys!

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 14 2012, 09:26 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Hey Dinaga,

Just wanted to know where you are at with this one. I see you progressed till 80% so I guess 90% is now on. smile.gif I also thought i would try this lesson. Its been long time I tried any AP lesson this fast. Just grabbed the notes and trying to play it at 50% to grasp the melody.

This thread is definitely inspiring. Do post recent developments. I don't see you over Bushido tasks so I wonder if studies are keeping you busy.

Cheers,
Chandra

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 14 2012, 09:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ May 14 2012, 09:26 AM) *
Hey Dinaga,

Just wanted to know where you are at with this one. I see you progressed till 80% so I guess 90% is now on. smile.gif I also thought i would try this lesson. Its been long time I tried any AP lesson this fast. Just grabbed the notes and trying to play it at 50% to grasp the melody.

This thread is definitely inspiring. Do post recent developments. I don't see you over Bushido tasks so I wonder if studies are keeping you busy.

Cheers,
Chandra

I think the D-master is taking some time off to help his wrist get back to normal as it just kept hurting. smile.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 14 2012, 09:58 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Oh I thought he said, he recovered and would get back to Bushido tasks too but never heard anything from him after that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 14 2012, 10:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ May 14 2012, 09:58 AM) *
Oh I thought he said, he recovered and would get back to Bushido tasks too but never heard anything from him after that.

When he started playing again the pain came back, which sucks. He'll be back though, just like Schwarzenegger !! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
May 14 2012, 12:54 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey Chandra, thanks for bumping this topic! smile.gif

What Ben said is true. My wrist (and the whole left hand)'s been killing me recently. Resting/ not playing at all doesn't help a lot, as the pain comes back. So I still play the guitar but not as insane as before. On a good day I try to play the Mojo Oro lesson but I can't get past 80%. The transition between 80% to 90% is HUGE, and it will need more practice to get it clean. The other lesson (Oriental Shred) I can play at 90%, but there are two fast AP runs at the end which I can't get clean so that's why I'm not posting a video yet.

That's also the reason I can't participate in Bushido as it's too risky for my current situation, as the deadlines would force me to injure myself again.

On a side note, I also "renewed" my old left shoulder dislocation (I had an accident and dislocated my left shoulder again! Fool), so that doesn't help either. I'm going to have an MRI soon and my doctor said I'll probably have to operate it again but I'm not sure whether I'll do it. The whole thing is really frustrating and I hope I'll get back in real action soon .

When I get mad, I sometimes throw a "shred session" but it usually results in severe pain and then I need to heal.

It's great you started practicing this lesson, and I wish you best of luck! However I do NOT wish you to end up like me, so please practice it smart, and don't force yourself!! Please post your progress here wink.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: May 14 2012, 12:56 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 14 2012, 01:03 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Oh SUCKS! Hope you recover soon. I have been hospitalized with my right hand thumb cut for 6 weeks and I know how it feels like. I had a bike accident while in US and my left pinky still hurts when you press on it but I can play guitar fine. I haven't checked with a doctor since it doesn't hurt normally. I hate visiting doctors. sad.gif

Yep, I will do it carefully. I have really pushed myself before and I know the pain but I haven't overdone it so hopefully, I can get somewhere near original tempo otherwise like the neoclassical lesson, I will just leave it. Theres only sometime you can try. Can't really spend my life onto it.. Lots of things to do in one life. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dinaga
May 14 2012, 01:07 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
That's right, mate. smile.gif

I'm not giving up on these nasty lessons, but in the meanwhile I'm learning theory, practicing modes, and vibrato/bends by playing some Gary Moore. smile.gif The world of music is a wide one, you can always find something new to learn. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 14 2012, 01:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dinaga @ May 14 2012, 12:07 PM) *

I'm not giving up on these nasty lessons, but in the meanwhile I'm learning theory, practicing modes, and vibrato/bends by playing some Gary Moore. smile.gif The world of music is a wide one, you can always find something new to learn. smile.gif

I will update our little mode mission today mate tongue.gif hope you'll like the new chords biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
May 14 2012, 01:11 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 14 2012, 12:09 PM) *
I will update our little mode mission today mate tongue.gif hope you'll like the new chords biggrin.gif

Yess! Can't wait! biggrin.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
May 14 2012, 08:25 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Dinaga @ May 14 2012, 05:07 AM) *

That's an excellent attitude to have Dinaga, and also a great way to keep progressing and keep busy while healing up. It still bums me out knowing that you're going through this, especially right when you were getting close to full speed on those vids!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:36 PM