Transcribing Practise, Can be fun!
Braer
Oct 13 2009, 02:53 PM
GMC:er
Hey! I have just started on practicing my transcribing skill, and i have found a good way to practise this. You choose a simple song (If you are beginner), for example a AC/DC song, and you get someone to write down the chords that are beeing used in a unsorted order. Then i get the chords and try to play the song with the chords. I offcourse listen to the song while i try to play it. This have really helped me with my transcribing skill.

You should really try this if you want to learn to transcribe.

Here is a very easy one for you:

Intro from Back in Black by ACDC.

Chords unsorted: A, E, D.
there is also some little E pentatonic run there.

Here is the correct progression: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/a/ac_d...n_black_crd.htm

Here is more of my consept

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 13 2009, 04:43 PM
Instructor
Well it's certainly good for starters, to be given all chords used in progression. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 13 2009, 05:07 PM
Instructor
In a way this would be cheating a lot (knowing the chords of a song and sorting them out). I think you should build interval distance then chord recognition (basic chords - major and minor in all 12 keys with various positions and inversions) and then finally assign songs to each key or interval. When you do this, interval distance, or starting chord(s) will lock in your inner ear and you will never need a cheat list to do transcribing. Things will simply be in your mind and inner ears, so you will have no trouble transcribing contemporary music.
Problems occur when you get orchestrated score with strings, woodwinds and brass section and then somebody says something like "Whats 4th Violin playing in this part?" or "Whats happening in 3rd voice of this Sax soli part?". This kind of questions require more in depth training and fine tuning your ear in order to hear all the inner voices. Everything else is no brainer once you cover things I mentioned.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braer
Oct 13 2009, 05:12 PM
this is offcourse for beginners. i dont think you advanced people will have anny need of this, but its a very good way to start transcribing.

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Oct 13 2009, 05:16 PM
Seems like it allows the beginner to rely on luck and deduction rather than ear training. I wouldn't call this training at all.

Maybe needs a warning label?

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 13 2009, 05:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Braer @ Oct 13 2009, 06:12 PM) *
this is offcourse for beginners. i dont think you advanced people will have anny need of this, but its a very good way to start transcribing.

I agree, this might help in the beginning but you need to try figuring out everything by ear asap,
including chords and everything else.
Knowing chords used in progression and given in random order could be a basic point of
starting with ear training but nothing more.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Fingerspasm
Oct 13 2009, 07:10 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Oct 13 2009, 11:07 AM) *
In a way this would be cheating a lot (knowing the chords of a song and sorting them out). I think you should build interval distance then chord recognition (basic chords - major and minor in all 12 keys with various positions and inversions) and then finally assign songs to each key or interval. When you do this, interval distance, or starting chord(s) will lock in your inner ear and you will never need a cheat list to do transcribing. Things will simply be in your mind and inner ears, so you will have no trouble transcribing contemporary music.
Problems occur when you get orchestrated score with strings, woodwinds and brass section and then somebody says something like "Whats 4th Violin playing in this part?" or "Whats happening in 3rd voice of this Sax soli part?". This kind of questions require more in depth training and fine tuning your ear in order to hear all the inner voices. Everything else is no brainer once you cover things I mentioned.

Do you have any lessons on this that you would recommend?

--------------------
My Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/user/FingerSpasm?feature=mhum

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes its the quiet voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

+Quote Post
Braer
Oct 13 2009, 07:20 PM
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Oct 13 2009, 06:16 PM) *
Seems like it allows the beginner to rely on luck and deduction rather than ear training. I wouldn't call this training at all.

Maybe needs a warning label?

how the heck should a beginner know if you play AM or a Amddd+asijdksdnmflkashofi(p93+59354023940) chord? tongue.gif
my point is, no beginner that havent played music before, has NO chanse of transcribing. This atleast helped me alot to get started.

This post has been edited by Braer: Oct 13 2009, 07:22 PM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 13 2009, 07:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Braer @ Oct 13 2009, 08:20 PM) *
how the heck should a beginner know if you play AM or a Amddd+asijdksdnmflkashofi(p93+59354023940) chord? tongue.gif
my point is, no beginner that havent played music before, has NO chanse of transcribing.

There is a chance for everything but it might seem like torturing.
I did transcribe tons of songs by ear using old tape player
without any chords provided.
I did gain a lot from doing it that way but it's really a torture for someone
without any experience in music. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Braer
Oct 13 2009, 08:02 PM
well, you are super human muris

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 13 2009, 10:44 PM
Instructor
Nice tips for beginners, thanks for sharing this! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Oct 13 2009, 10:45 PM
I haven't got any luck transcribing so far (everything I think is right 99% of the time proves otherwise) so I might as well give this a try. I think torture is the word there, Muris.

--------------------

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Oct 13 2009, 11:53 PM
Instructor
That's a great exercise!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:38 PM