2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Circle Of Fifths
Hemlok
Aug 8 2007, 03:14 PM
GMC:er
Hey has the Circle of Fifths image disappeared?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 8 2007, 03:16 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Aug 8 2007, 10:14 AM) *
Hey has the Circle of Fifths image disappeared?

Works ok for me ...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Aug 9 2007, 12:20 AM
Oh excellent it does work, sorry I was having internet troubles.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Sep 11 2007, 06:37 PM
Get to da Chopper!
wow- only now have i had the patience to sit down and stud this topic- this circle is invaluable!

+Quote Post
Understudy
Sep 13 2007, 11:16 AM
I have been ready Andrew's theory for 3 days now. Just finished the circle and I can't thank Andrew and Kaneda enough. Trying to get all of the formulas down and now the circle, a little overwhlming at first but I am getting this as I go along and re read sections. Great stuff and thanks again ! I actually think I can read a little music after all this too lol tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars Carvin DC-127 Ibanez RG-470
Accoustic Guitar Ovation Celebrity
Amp Marshall VS65R
Recording Gear Tascam Ministudio Porta 02 (Analog 4 track)
Boss DR-220 Dr. Rhythm Digital Drum Machine
Tuner Boss TU-12
Effects pedals Dunlop 535Q CryBaby, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Boss
CS-3 Compression Sustainer, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss DD-5 Digital Delay

+Quote Post
bart m
Sep 13 2007, 11:34 AM
i'm dyslexic...so i prefer the circle of fourths...lol

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 13 2007, 07:10 PM
QUOTE (bart m @ Sep 13 2007, 06:34 AM) *
i'm dyslexic...so i prefer the circle of fourths...lol

That's fine, just go backwards and it will all work out!

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
¤ME¤
Dec 25 2007, 02:49 PM
does the circle also aply to making riffs?
for example i play riff i C and that G or F would be a good candidat?

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 25 2007, 02:51 PM
Not really - the circle of 5ths is about relationships between keys and chords, riffs use much closer notes and the Circle won't really help you with that ... although it can help you choose related chords to play under the actual riff.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Feb 4 2008, 05:26 AM
Awesome lesson andrew, i spotted a couple of typos:

Chord Progressions

One final trick from the ever useful circle - it will also quickly show you the subdominant(IV) and dominant(V) chords for a particular key, often used to build progressions. Once again, pick a key (F say) . Look Clockwise for your dominant or V chord © and anti clockwise for your subdominant or IV chord (Bb). These are the 3 most important chords in any key, and the Cricle helps us to easily locate them.

i think you mean a © instead of the copyright symbol biggrin.gif

Also:

One final trick from the ever useful circle - it will also quickly show you the subdominant(IV) and dominant(V) chords for a particular key, often used to build progressions. Once again, pick a key (F say) . Look Clockwise for your dominant or V chord © and anti clockwise for your subdominant or IV chord (Bb). These are the 3 most important chords in any key, and the Cricle helps us to easily locate them.
The Finished Circle
Ok, now we have talked about all the things the circle can do for us, lets put it all together in one big diagram - the GMC Cricle of Fifths!

i think that is supposed to be a subtitle.

Sorry for all the bother Andrew, i know i bother you alot.

I gotta read this great lesson again because im confused about some parts. Thanks for the lesson, the circle is indeed invaluable, i never realised that until now.

Thanks smile.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Feb 10 2008, 01:04 AM
Hey guys, what would be some easy-to-remember mnemonics for the order of the flats and sharps?

Sharps is: F C G D A E B

Flats: B E A D G C F

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
seagull
Apr 7 2008, 10:20 PM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Feb 10 2008, 02:04 AM) *
Hey guys, what would be some easy-to-remember mnemonics for the order of the flats and sharps?

Sharps is: F C G D A E B

Flats: B E A D G C F

I'll try to explain the way I see it, sorry if its not exactly clear. Andrew will certainly be able to explain it better, just wanted to try. smile.gif

For the sharps you can say that it starts with an F-sharp when you're in G-major. Then if you're tonic is D-major its both F and C that are sharp. When A-major is the tonic, it is F, C and G that are sharp.

You'll probably see that the pattern of the sharps is actually following the circle of fifths, starting with a sharp F, C, G etc. If you look at the circle, it is also the way of the fifths when moving clockwise. So the order of sharps follow the fifths starting from F-major. Of course you'll have to distinguish between notes and tonics. Meaning that the fact that G-major has a F# doesn't mean, that it has anything to do with the tonic of either F-major or F#-major.

So to sum up the sharps: F C G D A E B (C is marked bold as it is the "starting point" which has no b's or #'s)
Contra the Circle of fifths: F C G D A E B (Still, C is the starting point)

You see, the progress of sharps is the same as the progress of fifths.

As to the flats, they are: B E A D G C F.
Now, it's some sort of the same as with the sharps, only that it's the other way around, and that there are some other differences.
When F-major is the tonic, there is ONE "b", and it is on B. I figure it out by looking at the circle of fifths, seeing that the tonic to the left of F-major is Bb-Major (hence, a "b" for B ), and then when Bb is the tonic, there are TWO "b"s, one for B and one for E. Conveniently the next tonic is Eb, which is indicated by the previous "b" in Bb-major. And so it continues.

I hope this helps you, even though when I come to think of it, it's a very bad explanation. laugh.gif
I do understand it myself, it's just that I'm not good at explaining it to others - especially in writing. smile.gif

This post has been edited by seagull: Apr 7 2008, 10:23 PM

+Quote Post
FrankW
May 18 2008, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the CAGED and Circle of Fifths lessons, man. I'm reading, digesting, scratching my head, and kicking myself for not learning this stuff years ago...

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 18 2008, 01:06 AM
Heh, glad you are enjoying them! Let me know if you have any questions at all smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
myhandyman
Jan 2 2015, 06:21 PM
very cool, but i'm just going to have to take baby steps understanding is one thing, memorizing is another wink.gif I got be patient with this Einstein relativity pie =mc2 stuff !

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:34 PM