How Chords Are Named
Twinbroz
Sep 14 2011, 02:31 AM
GMC:er
I play guitar and know it very well just not much theory. I know a C chord has the notes C, E and G. How would you figure out what a C7 without the notes being presented?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 14 2011, 03:00 AM
GMC:er
for example you know that a C Major is form by tonic, major third, and perfect fifth.

so C Major = C E G.

Now a C7 chord aka C dominant = you need a root, major third, perfect fifth, minor seventh

knowing the interval chart, also help u alot in finding the notes.

Root Note
Minor 2 - one half step up the root
major 2 - two half steps up the root
minor 3
major 3
perfect 4
Tritone aka aug 4/ dim 5
perfect 5
minor 6
major 6
minor 7
major 7
octave.

another way, is training your ear to recognize intervals.

so for example you ear this interval

E
B
G
D 5
A 3
E

You would know, that the sound belongs to a perfect fifth, you know you root "C" and what a perfect fifth up C, G!

The more deeper you unlock your ear, the more you will automaticly recognize "chords, intervals, scales" and their notes.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Sep 14 2011, 11:08 PM
Instructor
C1 D2 E3 F4 G5 A6 B7 C8

From this scale to get a 7th chord choose notes

1 -3 - 5 - 7

Apply to any scale or key, works the same!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 14 2011, 11:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Sep 14 2011, 10:08 PM) *
C1 D2 E3 F4 G5 A6 B7 C8

From this scale to get a 7th chord choose notes

1 -3 - 5 - 7

Apply to any scale or key, works the same!

Usually the notation C7 is used in respect to a C dominant 7 chord rather than C major 7 chord. The formula above is more often encountered under the name CM7 while de C7 has the following formula: 1 3 5 b7. I've seen both being used so, just pay attention to the context and you'll figure it out wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:26 PM