2 Pages V   1 2 >  
9-42 Gauge On Les Paul?
Kizaze44
Nov 16 2007, 05:20 AM
GMC:er
I've been toying with the idea of trying 9-42 gauge strings (currently play with 10's) and my guitar shop guy says that it's a bad idea to use 9's on a Les Paul. What do you think? Any Les Paul players using 9's???

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

Kiz

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lefty01
Nov 16 2007, 05:25 AM
QUOTE (Kizaze44 @ Nov 15 2007, 11:20 PM) *
I've been toying with the idea of trying 9-42 gauge strings (currently play with 10's) and my guitar shop guy says that it's a bad idea to use 9's on a Les Paul. What do you think? Any Les Paul players using 9's???

Kiz

i use them on mine. Why not, why does he think it is bad?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 16 2007, 05:27 AM
Lets go fishing!
I use 8's on my les Paul unsure.gif and i love it! so why not smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Nov 16 2007, 05:29 AM
He said the tension wouldn't be right and the Les Paul is made to use 10's. I'm skeptical of his reasons, that's why I posted here. Have you ever switched from 10's to 9's, or have you always used 9's? If so, did you have to bring your LP into a shop to adjust anything? How do you like playing with 9's? Sorry for all the Q's - I've never played with anything but 10's and I'm curious - as long as it doesn't screw up my beautiful gal.

+Quote Post
lefty01
Nov 16 2007, 05:32 AM
QUOTE (Kizaze44 @ Nov 15 2007, 11:29 PM) *
He said the tension wouldn't be right and the Les Paul is made to use 10's. I'm skeptical of his reasons, that's why I posted here. Have you ever switched from 10's to 9's, or have you always used 9's? If so, did you have to bring your LP into a shop to adjust anything? How do you like playing with 9's? Sorry for all the Q's - I've never played with anything but 10's and I'm curious - as long as it doesn't screw up my beautiful gal.

you'll be fine with 9's..he's silly

QUOTE (lefty01 @ Nov 15 2007, 11:30 PM) *
you'll be fine with 9's..he's silly

Find someone else to work on your axe... smile.gif

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Nov 16 2007, 05:40 AM
QUOTE (Kizaze44 @ Nov 16 2007, 05:20 AM) *

Kiz

He probably thinks 9's dont have a tone to compliment the paul.. thats his oppinion.

Other than that.. hes silly.

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
lefty01
Nov 16 2007, 05:47 AM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Nov 15 2007, 11:40 PM) *
He probably thinks 9's dont have a tone to compliment the paul.. thats his oppinion.

I 100% agree. And if that is the case, I guess we all should be playing 12's. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 16 2007, 05:53 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Nov 15 2007, 11:40 PM) *

+1 !

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Nov 16 2007, 05:57 AM
QUOTE (lefty01 @ Nov 16 2007, 04:47 AM) *
I 100% agree. And if that is the case, I guess we all should be playing 12's. biggrin.gif

+2

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 16 2007, 05:59 AM
QUOTE (Kizaze44 @ Nov 15 2007, 10:20 PM) *

Kiz

I believe that Jimmy Page used that gauge. Pretty sure about that. As he more than anyone else established the popularity of the Les Paul, it clearly is not fatal to use that gauge. I don't like them, I feel the Les Paul sounds better with the heavier gauge. But it won't hurt anything. Give it a try. You might find yourself going back to the 46 gauge though. Les Pauls ship with 46 gauge. Fender with 42. That tells you something. But you certainly don't have to go that way, may have to adjust the truss rod though.

I would not assume because of this that he is not skilled repairing guitars. Some of those guys are very conservative about this kind of stuff. Does not mean they don't do their job well.

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Nov 16 2007, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the replies! GMC to the rescue - the best place for advice! I think I'll give it a try. I should be able to tell if it needs some adjusting - that is if I like the sound and feel of the strings.

Kizaze

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 16 2007, 06:27 AM
Lets go fishing!
I often get the feeling the guys in my guitar shop are taking the michael out of me! I went in an asked for a 9 gauge the other day and they made feel a bit silly for asking unsure.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Understudy
Nov 16 2007, 06:56 AM
If your LP was set up with 10's you will need to have it adjusted to ensure proper tension on the neck bow. Just ask your tech to put 9's on it and readjust the guitar accordingly. After all he is getting paid to set up your guitar, not his own.

--------------------
Guitars Carvin DC-127 Ibanez RG-470
Accoustic Guitar Ovation Celebrity
Amp Marshall VS65R
Recording Gear Tascam Ministudio Porta 02 (Analog 4 track)
Boss DR-220 Dr. Rhythm Digital Drum Machine
Tuner Boss TU-12
Effects pedals Dunlop 535Q CryBaby, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Boss
CS-3 Compression Sustainer, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss DD-5 Digital Delay

+Quote Post
yell03
Nov 18 2007, 07:13 AM
I have D'Addario XL 9-42s on mine and it plays very well.

I paid to have it professionally set-up that way.

Professional set-ups range from $25-$55 and that inlcudes the price of the strings.

Howard

--------------------
Electric Guitars
Carvin DC127
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Ibanez Prestige RGA121

Amplifiers
Peavey Triple XXX Head
Genz Benz -flex 2x12 cab

+Quote Post
WTN
Nov 19 2007, 08:53 PM
QUOTE (Kizaze44 @ Nov 15 2007, 10:20 PM) *

Kiz

That's what I use on my Paul - it's a 1961 TV Model - Double Cut - might need a slight neck adjustment - no big deal. I have owned this Paul for about 40 years now.

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Nov 19 2007, 08:59 PM
When i saw this post i thought what???? blink.gif
I dont think there's really anything out there that would be that much affectd by just 2 gauges down string difference and even if it did it could be adjusted to work fine smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 19 2007, 09:00 PM
QUOTE (yell03 @ Nov 18 2007, 12:13 AM) *
I have D'Addario XL 9-42s on mine and it plays very well.

I paid to have it professionally set-up that way.

Professional set-ups range from $25-$55 and that inlcudes the price of the strings.

Howard

You can pay someone that much to cut your grass also, or do it yourself. And both take just about as much intelligence and training to do well.

I take it back, takes more intelligence to cut the grass. I ruined my lawn mower yesterday, too stupid to look for rocks before I cut.

edit: spelling

This post has been edited by fkalich: Nov 19 2007, 09:21 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 19 2007, 11:43 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (fkalich @ Nov 19 2007, 09:00 PM) *
You can pay someone that much to cut your grass also, or do it yourself. And both take just about as much intelligence and training to do well.

I take it back, takes more intelligence to cut the grass. I ruined my lawn mower yesterday, too stupid to look for rocks before I cut.

ROFL sorry to hear you broke your lawnmover that wasn't the fun part laugh.gif

All put so well biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
WTN
Nov 20 2007, 12:20 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Nov 19 2007, 02:00 PM) *

I think he is asking a legitimate question. Your response is maybe a bit strong. I have left many boards due to these.

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Nov 20 2007, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the advice, all. It's cool if it seems like a dumb question! I don't mind asking - because I trust you GMC'ers more than the "experts" in my guitar shop. I know you would not steer me in the wrong direction! After I try the 9's, maybe I'll report back with the results.

Regards,

Kiz

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:32 PM