2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Time Feel Soloing Collaboration, Final mix with comments :)
Marek Rojewski
May 3 2009, 06:28 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Many many thanks for Your kind words Pedja! Sorry I haven't answered faster, but it just wasn't possible! I don't know what more to say, the comment is to flattering wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
May 3 2009, 06:53 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
what does Syncopated mean? A syncopated rhythm?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
May 3 2009, 06:57 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ May 3 2009, 07:53 PM) *

Not starting on the 1st beat of a bar (e.g. when you first have a 8th rest, and then start of playing your melody). I tend to do that far too often, hence why I know this smile.gif

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Tolek
May 3 2009, 07:48 PM
Learning Rock Star
Tolek (9:06 - 9:38)

Tolek you have failed this class ! tongue.gif
No man, you did very good and you passed of course smile.gif
Your take had wonderful sound and structure to it. I think you did really good with half time and regular time feel but double time needs work. In last 8 bars you were trying to do triplet type soloing but it came off weaker or sloppy as placement of rhythms was not spot on. I believe if you recorded this same take couple of more times it would be 100% with no regrets!
Let me give you some suggestions regarding your development... When doing repetition and different endings, you should really try to put couple of extra notes second time trough or even take out some notes ! It also helps is you don't keep the same rhythm always but change it up slightly.
What I am trying to teach you here is to disguise your repetitions and make them less obvious !
Thats the only negative thing along with phrasing over double time feel. Everything else was very melodic and well approached.
Well done Tolek and thank you for your take !

Thanks, it is useful as usual. tongue.gif I´ll try to correct those problems in the next class which I´m looking forward to. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 3 2009, 09:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (superize @ May 3 2009, 06:05 PM) *
Thanks for the comments Pedja.....

To answer your questions

No the volume on the guitar was not low i just struck the strings very gently to get that effect......

And the solo was not improvised it was written but i wrote it very fast

Thanks Superize !
Sounded very nice and well organized. Well done one more time - hope to see you in next collab !

QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ May 3 2009, 07:28 PM) *
Many many thanks for Your kind words Pedja! Sorry I haven't answered faster, but it just wasn't possible! I don't know what more to say, the comment is to flattering wink.gif

smile.gif
I am glad you feel that way Marek, you really did great man !

QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ May 3 2009, 07:53 PM) *

It basically means you play rhythms that start on upbeat or continuously accent up beats instead of down beat in the phrases !
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ May 3 2009, 07:57 PM) *
Not starting on the 1st beat of a bar (e.g. when you first have a 8th rest, and then start of playing your melody). I tend to do that far too often, hence why I know this smile.gif

Something like that - see above smile.gif

QUOTE (Tolek @ May 3 2009, 08:48 PM) *
Thanks, it is useful as usual. tongue.gif I´ll try to correct those problems in the next class which I´m looking forward to. cool.gif

Please do so smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 3 2009, 09:15 PM
Instructor
Great job on the comments Pedja, and awesome takes everybody! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
wrk
May 3 2009, 09:23 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thank you Pedja for this collab and you comment !!

You are right, 16 triplets over a 120bpm backing are outside of my comfort zone. A while back i decided to avoid to play things which will surely be played sloppy. Somehow i have had enough to play things i can not control. I thought it is better to keep these things for exercises ... laugh.gif ... but you are right and i should start now again to take some more risks and step out of this comfort zone. Thanks for pointing this out !!!

+Quote Post
Farmer Joe
May 3 2009, 09:43 PM
GMC:er
Thanks for the comments, Pedja. I appreciate the time you put into this collab and into analyzing all the takes.
My playing experience isn't very much at all, I've been playing seriously, or learning to play, since around February when I joined the site and got into the mtp program. before that, I just had a guitar but didn't do much with it lol.
I will try to work as hard as I can on the things you mentioned in my comments. I'll be working hard on 16th notes from this coming week and on, I've never really played any before. So hopefully I can improve and maybe I can join your next collab if I feel I won't suck at it again.
Thanks again Pedja, you're the man!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 3 2009, 10:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 3 2009, 10:15 PM) *
Great job on the comments Pedja, and awesome takes everybody! smile.gif

Thank you for stopping buy and checking it out Ivan.

QUOTE (wrk @ May 3 2009, 10:23 PM) *
Thank you Pedja for this collab and you comment !!

You are right, 16 triplets over a 120bpm backing are outside of my comfort zone. A while back i decided to avoid to play things which will surely be played sloppy. Somehow i have had enough to play things i can not control. I thought it is better to keep these things for exercises ... laugh.gif ... but you are right and i should start now again to take some more risks and step out of this comfort zone. Thanks for pointing this out !!!

No problem Andy smile.gif
Its not easy playing fast and very melodic. Usually these two things dont go one with another. I get what you are trying to say tough and I appreciate you saying it. I just figured you could push yourself over the top even if it would sacrifice melody. I never really say that because I am in love with melody smile.gif , but yes its worth sometimes to pay attention to technique.

You welcome for the comments and I hope you will enjoy next collab man - thanks !

QUOTE (Farmer Joe @ May 3 2009, 10:43 PM) *
Thanks for the comments, Pedja. I appreciate the time you put into this collab and into analyzing all the takes.
My playing experience isn't very much at all, I've been playing seriously, or learning to play, since around February when I joined the site and got into the mtp program. before that, I just had a guitar but didn't do much with it lol.
I will try to work as hard as I can on the things you mentioned in my comments. I'll be working hard on 16th notes from this coming week and on, I've never really played any before. So hopefully I can improve and maybe I can join your next collab if I feel I won't suck at it again.
Thanks again Pedja, you're the man!

Joe this is all new to me ! You joined in February and haven't played seriously before that ? Its very good work for less then two months - seriously man!!!
As I said in the comments, I don't expect you to fly all over the fretboard in a week or so. Those comments regarding 16th notes are something that you can work on in a long run. It won't happen in a day for sure, it might take months !
I don't want you to feel like you are behind anybody here. Everybody has their level and things they need to work on. I approach things that way when writing both positive and negative feedback.
You did great man and I hope to see you in next collab as well !
Thanks for the kind words, you will make me blush man rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Siggum
May 3 2009, 11:05 PM
Great job on this collab Pedja, loads of very nice and inspiring takes, also thanks for comments, looking forward to next collab: )

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
GrannyKiller
May 4 2009, 12:32 AM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ May 3 2009, 03:27 AM) *
Dado you have definitely passed this class!
Your take had everything I asked for plus it was very musical. I must emphasize that you also used things we covered in previous collaborations (sequence and repetition in different things), and you pulled it all off pretty well.
Your double time soloing was mostly sequence based but that was fine as it perfectly fit the mood of your solo.
The only problem with your solo is your tuning, or as we determined later your guitar intonation problem. It sounded at times like your bends on B and E string were out of pitch when in fact it was your intonation that was off. I hope that you will get this fixed soon so you can continue with good work. Keep up the good work man !
Thank you for your take Dado !

phew, I'm so glad I passed it... laugh.gif

timing was probably the weakest aspect of my soloing, as was note choice. and your last two collabs really helped me improve my note choice and timing and now I feel pretty confident in my playing when I want to jam with other players.

and another aspect that's starting to improve is my, hmmm dunno what to call it, musical foresight (?), cause sometimes when I improv, my mind just goes into stand-by and fingers on auto-pilot, and that can't sound good, ya know, but when I sat down and started composing solos for these last two collabs, I just sat, eyes closed, listening to the track and imagining what I want to hear. And what I imagined is exactly what I tried to reproduce on guitar, and that's very important for good improvisation.

excellent collab, as usual! and great fun too!!! biggrin.gif

oh, and about the intonation problem...I broke both the E and B strings two days ago... mad.gif but finally I got some money and I'm gonna buy a fresh set of strings tomorrow. and these were only a month old... dry.gif

EDIT: oh, and great to see this turned into another lesson. I'm definitely gonna spend some more time with time-feel soloing when I'm done with school related work...

This post has been edited by GrannyKiller: May 4 2009, 12:34 AM

--------------------
A kick in the butt is only another step forward...

.:G.E.A.R:.

Guitars: B.C.Rich Assasin QX6 // Jolana Galaxis (modded by me) // Melodija Menges nylon-acoustic // Vintage EJM-96 Bass

Amps: Marshall AVT50X combo // Roland MicroCube // some cr***y old Newport with a 12" speaker

Effects: Boss GT-10

+Quote Post
Farmer Joe
May 4 2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks Pedja smile.gif Dont get me wrong, I like the way you write your comments because you mention the problems as well the good things. I definitely like that the most about your comments. I just wanted to let you know my playing level so far so that you didn't just think I slacked on the collab tongue.gif
Actually, once I finish the lesson I'm working on right now in the MTP program, Velvet Roger is going to get me into working on 16th notes right away tongue.gif He said I need to make you proud on the next collab laugh.gif
So if I may, please put me on auto-signup for the next collab smile.gif
Thanks again man

+Quote Post
Dexxter
May 4 2009, 02:16 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Thanks a lot for the comment Pedja smile.gif No worries about the syncing problem, I hope your soundcard is back to normal soon wink.gif smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jonathan
May 4 2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the comments and advice Pedja, I'll keep them in mind.
It's amazing how much you can learn form just one collaboration!!!!.
Is there any lesson you can suggest regarding technical exercises to get the feel for 8th note triplets, regular 16th notes and faster rhythms in general like you said?
I'll be looking forward for more collaborations in the future. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 4 2009, 04:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Siggum @ May 4 2009, 12:05 AM) *
Great job on this collab Pedja, loads of very nice and inspiring takes, also thanks for comments, looking forward to next collab: )

I agree with you Siqqum smile.gif
Hope to see you in next one as well !

QUOTE (GrannyKiller @ May 4 2009, 01:32 AM) *
phew, I'm so glad I passed it... laugh.gif

timing was probably the weakest aspect of my soloing, as was note choice. and your last two collabs really helped me improve my note choice and timing and now I feel pretty confident in my playing when I want to jam with other players.

and another aspect that's starting to improve is my, hmmm dunno what to call it, musical foresight (?), cause sometimes when I improv, my mind just goes into stand-by and fingers on auto-pilot, and that can't sound good, ya know, but when I sat down and started composing solos for these last two collabs, I just sat, eyes closed, listening to the track and imagining what I want to hear. And what I imagined is exactly what I tried to reproduce on guitar, and that's very important for good improvisation.

excellent collab, as usual! and great fun too!!! biggrin.gif

oh, and about the intonation problem...I broke both the E and B strings two days ago... mad.gif but finally I got some money and I'm gonna buy a fresh set of strings tomorrow. and these were only a month old... dry.gif

EDIT: oh, and great to see this turned into another lesson. I'm definitely gonna spend some more time with time-feel soloing when I'm done with school related work...

Sounds like you are doing awesome work Dado !
Visualizing is very important process of creativity and improvisation. You are doing great, keep up the good work !

Lesson should be up any day now, I submitted it around a week ago, I hope it will be up soon smile.gif

QUOTE (Farmer Joe @ May 4 2009, 03:08 PM) *
Thanks Pedja smile.gif Dont get me wrong, I like the way you write your comments because you mention the problems as well the good things. I definitely like that the most about your comments. I just wanted to let you know my playing level so far so that you didn't just think I slacked on the collab tongue.gif
Actually, once I finish the lesson I'm working on right now in the MTP program, Velvet Roger is going to get me into working on 16th notes right away tongue.gif He said I need to make you proud on the next collab laugh.gif
So if I may, please put me on auto-signup for the next collab smile.gif
Thanks again man

Awesome Joe smile.gif
Roger is very cool guy and I am sure you will learn from him more about 16th note soloing. Lesson with my solo should be up soon on the site so you can definitely check that out as well !

You are on auto sign up for future collaborations smile.gif

QUOTE (Dexxter @ May 4 2009, 03:16 PM) *
Thanks a lot for the comment Pedja smile.gif No worries about the syncing problem, I hope your soundcard is back to normal soon wink.gif smile.gif

You welcome Dexxter !
Sound card problem is somewhat resolved but I plan to buy very quality one in near future smile.gif

QUOTE (jonathan @ May 4 2009, 03:19 PM) *
Thanks for the comments and advice Pedja, I'll keep them in mind.
It's amazing how much you can learn form just one collaboration!!!!.
Is there any lesson you can suggest regarding technical exercises to get the feel for 8th note triplets, regular 16th notes and faster rhythms in general like you said?
I'll be looking forward for more collaborations in the future. smile.gif

I agree with you Jonathan !
The lesson on my solo for this collaboration will be up very soon I hope. Look out for it on the main page of GMC. Maybe even tomorrow !
You can learn my solo, that will definitely help you with rhythm values smile.gif

My next collaboration should be by middle of month latest. I am working on topic and backing as we speak wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sergio Dorado
May 4 2009, 10:53 PM
Flamenco Instructor
Thanks for your comments, Pedja. Great work as always, your impressions are plenty of good advices for everybody.
Also the takes are very interesting, well done students!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 5 2009, 01:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sergio Dorado @ May 4 2009, 11:53 PM) *
Thanks for your comments, Pedja. Great work as always, your impressions are plenty of good advices for everybody.
Also the takes are very interesting, well done students!

Thank you very much Sergio, I try to help everybody regardless of their level - hope all those things will help members improve more. Hope to see you in next one Sergio !

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:03 PM