Practicing Legato, Any thoughts on doing this effectively?
djohnneay
Feb 17 2010, 05:38 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys!

I lately noticed that my legato playing is way below what I want it to be. I always thought that I could use picking instead of legato, and that this would/could be a trademark of my own style. However, there are situations in which I can't pick every note, like tapping.
Recently when doing some kind of these licks, I discovered that :

- My pinky is very, very weak for legato (it is nearly impossible to get any sound at all)
- Muting is hard while tapping (for normal legato muting I use picking hand)
- Ring and pinky finger are almost inseparable (they move simultaneously almost all the time).

Basically, hammer-on-pull-offs between index-, middle- and ring finger is all i can do.
Some while ago I saw a video of a guy playing legato and not picking AT ALL. On the long run, should I be able to do this ?
The ring finger and pinky are almost inseparable, how should I approach this ?
And finally, to get ANY strength out of my pinky, I am forcing my other fingers.
Should the strength come from the finger alone, or am I allowed to do this ?
Or does it pass with time ?

Reading all this, where should I begin ? Perhaps some lesson advice? It's just so frustrating!
I can pick almost anything I need to, but as soon as I need to play legato, I feel so incompetent!
Will it take as long as it did with AP to get to the same level?
Would I have to go through the same process, but with a different technique this time?

I hope you guys can help me, as I'm really struggling!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
djohnneay
Mar 3 2010, 01:00 PM
GMC:er
But do I need to go through the same process I went through with AP ?
Does this process apply to every technique ?
I am already noticing some improvements, but muting is hard to do when you need all your finger strenght in order to get some sound out of it. Like the intro of 'Elephants' by Them Crooked Vultures. It's just too noisy!

On lower tempo's I can get it, but it still doesn't sound good.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- djohnneay   Practicing Legato   Feb 17 2010, 05:38 PM
- - Caelumamittendum   I did these great lessons about 1½ year back (yep...   Feb 17 2010, 05:46 PM
- - Jensen   For strength in the pinky, I'd suggest you to ...   Feb 17 2010, 06:18 PM
- - Damir Puh   For finger strength and independence I recommend ...   Feb 18 2010, 09:41 AM
- - djohnneay   Thanks guys, I'll checked out the links, those...   Feb 22 2010, 06:28 PM
- - Damir Puh   QUOTE (djohnneay @ Feb 22 2010, 06:28 PM)...   Feb 22 2010, 07:03 PM
- - djohnneay   Thank you I notice, as I mentioned earlier, that...   Feb 23 2010, 12:21 PM
- - Damir Puh   QUOTE (djohnneay @ Feb 23 2010, 12:21 PM)...   Feb 23 2010, 04:22 PM
|- - djohnneay   QUOTE (Damir Puh @ Feb 23 2010, 04:22 PM)...   Feb 24 2010, 04:33 PM
nnn
- - maharzan   Yep, I agree too. The speed / sync / efficiency is...   Feb 24 2010, 05:07 PM
- - Daniel Realpe   I think every instructor here will tell you they w...   Feb 27 2010, 05:20 PM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   It's all about keeping your pace steady, keepi...   Feb 28 2010, 11:00 PM
|- - Ivan Milenkovic   QUOTE (djohnneay @ Mar 3 2010, 01:00 PM) ...   Mar 3 2010, 09:29 PM
nnn
- - Ryan   Try this to gain finger independence.   Mar 3 2010, 05:28 PM
- - Bogdan Radovic   Its always good idea to practice strength and dext...   Mar 7 2010, 06:32 PM
- - Conrad Harpham   ive always had trouble with the seperation of my m...   Mar 7 2010, 10:22 PM
- - Vasilije Vukmirovic   Being a alternate picking mostly, I am also strugg...   Mar 27 2010, 02:56 PM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:49 PM