> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

22 Pages V  « < 20 21 22  
Timmy B's Mentoring Thread
Timmy b
Nov 6 2014, 09:28 AM
Learning Rock Star
Awesome!

Glad to hear its a goodie! I had a hunch cool.gif As luck has it, I have a matching video to the take. I recorded a video along with it with the anticipation that it would be a good take. I just haven't combined it all yet wink.gif Im off to work now, so ill put it all together and post it tonight.

The Rest are going great. My bending has improved drastically! I can control it a hell of a lot better now, so I think that will be the next Rec. The funk is also close, just a few minor tweaks and that will be ready too. And your lesson needs a little bit more to make it great. not quite there yet.

You've recomended the book to me and i've put uit on the "to do/read List" It will have to wait a bit though as i have just way too many projects/learning running. There's just to much to do and learn huh huh.gif

Anyways, glad it was good news, I'll post it up tonight.

Tim

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 6 2014, 04:09 PM
Instructor
Hehe!

Looking forward to see the Tool lesson getting done with wink.gif It took a long time, but hey, you nailed all the details and that will have a great effect on your playing on the long run! I am also glad to hear about the rest of the lessons, so wink.gif Step by step, we'll see them all done!

About the book - don't rush reading it, but make sure you will be able to savour it and retain all the important aspects in it. I read it once to understand it and then twice, with a pen and paper and bookmarks smile.gif

Keep me updated mate!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Nov 7 2014, 12:48 AM
Learning Rock Star
Alright here it is!

Like you said, it took a while but it came with its positive sides. I think it has improved my playing a bit. nice to be done! smile.gif
If its a ok with you i'll post it in the REC Zone

I'll get onto the book down the line and i'll give it a good look into it too wink.gif

Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 7 2014, 10:11 AM
Instructor
Hey Tim smile.gif I think you know what time it is - it's REC Zone time wink.gif I have listened and it sounds like everything is in place - tight, groovy and clean!

Let's see it there and I think we're good with it!

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Nov 18 2014, 09:49 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Cosmin

Great to see the Tool Lesson went through without a hitch! nice to see it go!

So, progress report on the other 3. They're all now in the final stages attempting recs and get the small details ironed out.

-I thought I had a good one of the bending lesson yesterday, but after listening back to it today, I noticed a few small details which could be done better. Another attempt is needed!

-The funk is grooving along, very close here!

-The Chord Melodies is giving me more trouble. Im able to play it through quite well but the difficulty im having with it is the dynamics of it all. Being only a lightly distorted tone and using the fingers makes it hard to keep the volume consistent, its also harder because small errors and noises are more obvious. So i've got more practice to do here and also some experimenting with the tone.

Otherwise, my overall playing is still improving noticably! things, that not long ago were difficult for me have suddenly become a lot more natural and relaxed. The goals I set out for my playing are slowly starting to take shape! Still a lot more work ahead, but its nice to notice the progress!

Anyway, back to it. Hope your keeping well, take it easy, and catch you soon with another Rec!

TIm

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 19 2014, 09:45 AM
Instructor
Hey Tim!

Looks like you are keeping tidy tabs on things - great to see you are so disciplined and focused on the task! As you noticed already, it works like a charm, even though sometimes you don't notice it and maybe feel frustrated.

Looking forward to see the videos wink.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Dec 8 2014, 10:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Cosmin

Long time again, Been Busy as usual. Christmas lead up, Family visits,ect.... Every weekend there's something going on!
Also, After many many years of having long hair, I decided to cut it all off! Its been a pretty interesting experience so far!

So anyway, practice time has been limited lately, but slow and steady.

Firstly, I've got an attempt of the Bending lesson for you to critique. One thing I found interesting about this lesson is that my bending vibrato has improved dramatically, but I struggle to get a good take of it. When I think about it, I really don't enjoy playing this lesson. The feel of it, the backing track, it just ain't fun for me! Weird! Anyway, let me know what you think.

The other 2 lessons I've slowed down a little bit again. Again, I'm struggling to play these well at full speed! 5 bpm slower and they;e no problem! Frustrating! But I assume its just another threshold that need breaking through!

So let me know what you think. Hoping I'll be able to move on to some new things soon!

Tim

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Bending_Lesson.mp3 ( 1.32MB ) Number of downloads: 113

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 11 2014, 12:43 PM
Instructor
Hey Tim!

I listened to the recording and I must congratulate you on the increased control!

Every bend sounds in place and the playing feels strong and steady - there are a few places which could use a bit more attention - for instance, the long bent note after the more crowded accentuated note that is picked multiple times, close to the ending. That one is a bit under pitch. So just a little more polishing and we're good with this one!

I know exactly what you're talking about with those 5 BPM laugh.gif But as you have experienced so far, patientce pays off wink.gif

...and if you ask me, it's a good thing you cut your hair - FAR easier to tend to wink.gif Let's see some more recordings, deal?

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Jan 6 2015, 10:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
Happy new year mate!

It's been a while!
Hope you had a nice Xmas and had a bit of time to relax over the holiday period. It was a really busy December on my side, if we didn't have guests ourselves we were of visiting friends and family and on the road. Organised chaos! But well worth it!!
Not a lot of time to practice and do much, but i still got some jamming done now and then.
But now, it's time to get back to it!

So, what's new here? plenty!
-I've finally bought a new audio interface! The "Focusrite 2i4" The increase in sound quality is so noticeable! My old one was just a cheap rip off afa an average interface. It did the job, but i felt like it was time to upgrade. Very happy!

-I've been working on my tone too. I've been very unsatisfied with my heavy tone for a while now. I recently stumbled across the Peavey Revalver software. I've tried amplitude and guitar rig, but I've never really been happy with the sound of them. The sound I can get with revalver makes playing really fun and inspiring again! I may just upgrade from my borrowed version and buy in!

-I've also been thinking a lot about my practice schedule. The concept we worked on was a great start, but I've modified a bit and I'm liking it better now. Ill keep you posted on it.

Ok so lessons,
Thanks for the feedback. They are all just a little bit out of my reach. But the break has let them sink in and improved them.
My goal is to have them all done by the end of the month.

And as for the hair, Im getting used to the concept of short hair smile.gif But seeing as i had long hair for close to 15 years, im a bit lost when it come to styling and what not. I'm sure it will come in time cool.gif

Anyway, how you been? Hows your band going? Hows the world treating you? Whats new in the life of Cosmin??

Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 7 2015, 08:40 AM
Instructor
Hey there Tim!

Glad to see you are alive, playing and kicking butt! biggrin.gif

Well, I am looking forward to see the recordings with the new tone and hear about the improvements on your practice schedule as well. About me... well, to sum things up, I started the new year with some changes, ofeering myself a bit more time as I kind of feel like I am burned out musically and I needto get back on track ASAP.

I have a minitour and single release with Days of Confusion, on which we are working very hard right now. Set gigging dates on February 5,6, and 7 and still deciding on the second leg of the minitour - 3 more dates to come, but we'll see what the management says..

Otherwise, in december I have organized my first event - a charitable concert meant to raise funds for an institution dealing with people suffering of incurable illnesses found in the last stages of their lives. It was for the first time when the alternative/modern rock artists united for a cause and performed together on the same stage - it was an acoustic gig, which you can see here:

It came out unexpectedly good and thus we will actually take the concept to the next level and keep making events under the banner of 'All stars'

These are the important things so far, I guess smile.gif Keep in touch, mate!

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Jan 17 2015, 11:45 AM
Learning Rock Star
Man, what a week! Busy Busy!

So where were we?

Mate, your acoustic shows look pretty cool! glad it worked out so well! And like I said before, I'm glad your taking the time to do what you want to do in life. Its something most people don't get around to doing!

So, Rounding the last couple years off. So much has happened!
Well to start with, I'd like to finish off the 3 lessons we've been working on for the last couple months. They're in the final stages and I'm going to try and Rec one today. I definitely want to move on from these!

Also, I'd appreciate your opinion on what I should pursue and work on further. One thing i'd like to improve further is my bent note vibrato. I plan to keep working on bens Vibrato odyssey series, I remember a bending on in there. Also alternate picking is still on the list. This lesson is still on my practice list. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ernate-workout/
Your view on the matter would be great!

Practice schedule
I really like the concept of the schedule we put together,Especially with adding breaks! though I.ve made some alterations. I've put less emphasie on GMC lessons and put more focus on other areas.

20min- Warm up
I dropped the ear training program as I got tired of it. I combined it with the warm and just play along to songs and try to work bits out by ear. A bit more practical experience. I also have a list of a few licks I want to master each month, so these get worked on here too.

20mins - Current Gmc lessons- preparing for REC

20min - Riff/song breakdown
Here I started something new. I find that that there are some aspects of my rhythm playing that need a lot of impovment. So like the licks above. Every month I have a couple riffs or song sections that I cant play right and I break them down and slow them down and work on getting them right. ( I recently discovered that windows media player has a speed adjust feature that doesnt effect pitch!) I made this very productive as it will help me improve and clean and tighten up my playing (one of goals for the next 6 Months) as well as finally being able to play songs that I always wanted!

30min - Learn new songs
I want to add a lot more music into my repertoire. I feel like im constantly going back to the same old familiar places when I jam or try to put new music together. Some new perspectives and ideas should be nice. Plus it will again help my playing and be fun which is something that started to get lost with working just on GMC stuff.

Overtime
Whatever I want to do. Jam, New music/writing, mixing, learning, amp sim software. Whatever I want to do!

One of the main things I've changed is adding goals to my playing (hence the riffs and licks each month) They're only small but they add up. Im still setting up some more long term goals too. And not just in music. I'm in a process of restructuring my whole life.

So thats my new template i've been trying out. I really like it so far, but im curious about your thoughts. And your thoughts on everything else for that matter.

Tim

This post has been edited by Timmy b: Jan 17 2015, 11:46 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 17 2015, 12:57 PM
Instructor
Hey Tim!

I have to say I like your approach! I am currently following a course in business that helps with time management vs money earned, so that you can have more time for yourself and for doing whatever you want with it - it also begins with setting up short term and long term goals.

So you have a very healthy approach and if you ask me, the schedule looks very good. I have thought about a little bargain with myself - to create a little idea every day tongue.gif I haven't started it yet, but today seems like a good day biggrin.gif

You should place some long term goals in a bit more of a speciffic form - a bunch of songs maybe? Creating a song from scratch in which you will use what you learn?

About the lessons - Ben's series is GREAT - if you nail it down in its entirety, it will surely help out big time, while the alternate picking one is surely a great challenge as well - I think you will have plenty of work to do on them, so you kind of gave yourself your tasks biggrin.gif

Now, what sort of changes are you talking about, regarding life? smile.gif If of course, it's ok to ask wink.gif

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Jan 17 2015, 05:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for the feedback! Good to see I've got the right ideas going.

I didnt quite understand what you mean by the "create a little idea a day" In a musical sense?

A business course sounds like a great idea too! Its also on my list,but I still have a lot of other things I'd like to do before I embark on that path.

The life changes are something I've been working on for the last few months. It mainly revolves around changing my thinking habits, taking control and responsibility of my life. Along with detaching from the past which used to bother me. (The haircut was also a part of this. Detaching and letting go of things) I haven't always been the most self confident person and I just had enough and wanted to change this. Take control of life.
I recently read a book from dr Robert Anthony called " Beyond Positive Thinking" along with a few other from him. It really motivated me to make changes as it is a no nonsense book on how to create the world and life that you really want through your thought and how you approach everyday. It also made other books I found so helpful in the past really make sense and tied it all together.
You mentioned Goals before and that is a large part of this book and I'm getting goals made up for all areas of my life. Still a work in progress, but your suggestion about making goals for making music is also going to happen.

So, lots of changes and work ahead of me but as you can probably see i'm really motivated about all this!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 18 2015, 08:28 AM
Instructor
Hey Tim,

By creating a little idea/day, I was referring to creating a musical idea each day - a riff/phrase/lick/chord progression, whatever comes by, so that you will amass a huge database of ideas - want to know a secret?

All my GMC lessons and all my songs written with Days of Confusion and Voodoo, when that band existed, were born like this - from little snippets I have held in my 'vault', amassed over the years smile.gif

When I stopped doing this, I slowly stopped creating - bummer! I don't want to go there anymore, so I need to get back to my good habit which I have lost.

This will be a year of change for me as well, in the good, I hope smile.gif I decided to keep my changes secret and talk about them when they are completely happening wink.gif

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Jan 21 2015, 07:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey man

I get the idea idea. I thought thats what you meant by it. I think I'll put it into play too.

Keeping your goals and plans secret are a good idea. Stops people from influencing your thoughts and descions, even if they mean well. My plan is pretty secret too, It will all develop slowly over time smile.gif

So, Lessons!

I finally got a reasonable take of the bending lesson that I find acceptable. I don't ever want to play this lesson again! It has been so draining on me for some reason. I just dont like playing it to the point where I was reluctant to practice anything because I knew I would have to work on it. Explains why its taken so long. I seem to have developed some mental blocks with it.
Anyway, I think I've improved my technique with it, But I'd rather continue developing it with other lessons.

What's your opinion on it?

https://soundcloud.com/user464214836/bending-lesson

As always I the accompanying video ready.

Tim

This post has been edited by Timmy b: Jan 21 2015, 07:26 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 23 2015, 09:18 AM
Instructor
Hey Tim!

Ilike the way you are thinking man smile.gif You should walk a nice path in life with this attitude, so I wish you the best of luck with that. As for the lesson - it sounds like you, my friend, are in control! Let's see the video if you have it ready, deal?

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Jan 24 2015, 10:38 AM
Learning Rock Star
Deal!

Here's the finished product. Listening back to it, I like it now more than a few days ago. That old waiting trick again.!

As for the other lessons. Very close! Im aiming to get one recorded this weekend and the other mid week. That should round things off nicely!

Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 25 2015, 06:22 PM
Instructor
Hey Tim!

Very nice, mate! I think that aside that vibrato bending at 0:12, which is slightly weaker then the rest of the stuff you have played, the take is solid and round! How about taking it to the REC Zone? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Jan 31 2015, 12:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Cosmin,

Well it's the end of the month so I guess it's time to round this all off.

So, I've been working on the other two lessons (Funk lesson, and the Chord Melodies), but i haven't been able to finish them. I really wanted to have them done, but I guess i'm just not ready yet. I tried all morning to get them Recorded, but I just couldn't get them right. So its back into the comeback to pile for them.

I thought I'd also share some last thoughts on practising ect...

I've decided to change focus from now on. As good as these lessons are for developing my style, they are also straying away from my direction/goals. Like I've said before, I want to cleaner tighter playing with confidence, but more into the rock/metal direction. So im deciding to concentrate more on those genres to fulfil that goal. I definitely will explore other areas in the future, but for now I want to be more focused in one direction.

Something else I will change is making deadlines on RECs. I'm finding that by making the deadline it adds stress and pressure to do them and I feel that it can sometimes create a bit of a mental block or something. I'm going to try doing them more spontaneously every now and then. I'll still practice a few regularly, but I'll only Rec them when I feel Im ready for it. See how that goes.

And lastly, I've started playing more in a standing position, especially when just jamming along with songs ect... I find it kinda makes playing more fun and less like practice. Plus it will probably be better in the long run to be comfortable playing standing.

Oh, and as we've also talked about. I've started dedicating one practice session a week purely to putting ideas and music together. I've always struggled to write songs, so im thinking that this should slowly ease me into it and make me more productive in this area.

Alright,
So guess it's time to call it a day. Thanks for all your time, help, inspiration, ect... during the last couple of years. It's truly been fantastic and it's finally gotten me back on track with perusing my music again!
So all the best of luck with all your projects and life, thanks again, and see you round .

Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 1 2015, 08:37 AM
Instructor
Hey Tim!

Once again, thank you for your kind words, mate smile.gif

I think you are a very consistent player and if you keep up the pace with any direction that you choose, things can't be anything else but good wink.gif

About the practicing observations, I think that you should first and foremost practice the styles you like and if you feel like there's something stale in there, by all means, seek inspiration in other genres!

I myself have noticed how nicely I can work on something without havin such a strict deadline and I got some recordings of my own in the works - more on that when they are ready, while standing up is clearly something which you should do especially if you want to get ready for the stage. I rehearse EVERYTHING I need to be able to play on stage while standing up and wheen it comes to Days of Confusion songs, I try rehearsing without looking at the neck and relying more on feeling where the positions are - just because I sing a lot and I can't look laugh.gif

See you around, Tim!

Cosmin

QUOTE (Timmy b @ Jan 31 2015, 11:10 AM) *
Hey Cosmin,

Well it's the end of the month so I guess it's time to round this all off.

So, I've been working on the other two lessons (Funk lesson, and the Chord Melodies), but i haven't been able to finish them. I really wanted to have them done, but I guess i'm just not ready yet. I tried all morning to get them Recorded, but I just couldn't get them right. So its back into the comeback to pile for them.

I thought I'd also share some last thoughts on practising ect...

I've decided to change focus from now on. As good as these lessons are for developing my style, they are also straying away from my direction/goals. Like I've said before, I want to cleaner tighter playing with confidence, but more into the rock/metal direction. So im deciding to concentrate more on those genres to fulfil that goal. I definitely will explore other areas in the future, but for now I want to be more focused in one direction.

Something else I will change is making deadlines on RECs. I'm finding that by making the deadline it adds stress and pressure to do them and I feel that it can sometimes create a bit of a mental block or something. I'm going to try doing them more spontaneously every now and then. I'll still practice a few regularly, but I'll only Rec them when I feel Im ready for it. See how that goes.

And lastly, I've started playing more in a standing position, especially when just jamming along with songs ect... I find it kinda makes playing more fun and less like practice. Plus it will probably be better in the long run to be comfortable playing standing.

Oh, and as we've also talked about. I've started dedicating one practice session a week purely to putting ideas and music together. I've always struggled to write songs, so im thinking that this should slowly ease me into it and make me more productive in this area.

Alright,
So guess it's time to call it a day. Thanks for all your time, help, inspiration, ect... during the last couple of years. It's truly been fantastic and it's finally gotten me back on track with perusing my music again!
So all the best of luck with all your projects and life, thanks again, and see you round .

Tim

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  « < 20 21 22
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:32 AM