2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Mads Practice Routine, Yet Another Practice Plan :)
mad
Aug 17 2015, 10:04 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hello smile.gif

Lately I decided to make a fresh plan again to organize my guitar practice time.

Attached Image

Here are the routines/lessons in detail:
AP#1 : I use 'Guitar Speed Trainer'
AP#2 : Guidos Finger-Fitness Lesson
Tapping: Daniel Realpe, Basic Tapping
Legato: Muris' Legato Lesson
Sweep Picking: Lians Major&Minor Sweeps Lesson
Theory: I use a book called 'Guitar Fretboard Workout' by Barret Tagliarino
Improvise: Gabriels improvise workout and/or any backing and just jam over it..
Ear Training: Gabriels ear training workout
Rhythm/Timing: Gabriels timing workout

I'm in my 2nd week using this plan and I must say it works great for me.
Normally I spend more time on the lessons/improvisation than specified.
Eventually I'm going to refresh the plan every 4 weeks with new techniques/songs.

Gabriel encouraged me to post this plan in the forum and I'd also like to track my progress with some recordings here.

Let me know what you think smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 17 2015, 09:27 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great to find this program here! It's very inspiring to see these kind of plans so I'm sure that many of us will be following your progress and taking ideas for our own routines. I'll monitor your progress here so feel free to post takes and I'll be giving my thoughts about them.

All the best with this program.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 17 2015, 09:50 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Thanks for sharing your practice plan, I think it will be useful and inspiring to many! smile.gif

I was wondering what are your impressions after 2 weeks of doing it, most primarily which segments of it do you enjoy the most?

It is interesting to know as we are all different and enjoy different things. Personally, I would probably enjoy a plan like this with a tweak where I dedicate more of full days to just improvisation or learning songs while adding more exercise/practice new things to other days. So, basically a full daily session of practicing/exercises etc and a full daily session of improvisation for example. Just to avoid smashing too many of different things into short time slots in fear of getting distracted or not retaining well what I just did.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
mad
Aug 18 2015, 12:25 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 17 2015, 08:27 PM) *
Hi mate! Great to find this program here! It's very inspiring to see these kind of plans so I'm sure that many of us will be following your progress and taking ideas for our own routines. I'll monitor your progress here so feel free to post takes and I'll be giving my thoughts about them.

All the best with this program.

Thanks Gab! I'll do so very soon wink.gif

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Aug 17 2015, 08:50 PM) *
Thanks for sharing your practice plan, I think it will be useful and inspiring to many! smile.gif

I was wondering what are your impressions after 2 weeks of doing it, most primarily which segments of it do you enjoy the most?

It is interesting to know as we are all different and enjoy different things. Personally, I would probably enjoy a plan like this with a tweak where I dedicate more of full days to just improvisation or learning songs while adding more exercise/practice new things to other days. So, basically a full daily session of practicing/exercises etc and a full daily session of improvisation for example. Just to avoid smashing too many of different things into short time slots in fear of getting distracted or not retaining well what I just did.

I took some time not playing guitar at all in the last months, so the first week was just getting back to practicing again. And I'd love to have a plan where I can spend a full day with practicing - but time is not on my side here biggrin.gif
I think I need such a plan with few different things to practice each day to keep me motivated - and as long as there is some (even slow) progress, it's ok. The time I specified for each session is a minimum, but mostly I spend more time on each session. I do rests after each session and may do another warmup when getting back to the next session later on, just to get things I just practiced into my head first before straightly giong to the next lesson. I mostly enjoy learning the GMC lessons and improvising tongue.gif
Next month I'm getting back to play in my band again - I took a pause due to some personal problems..

Ok, stay tuned for some updates and recordings soon cool.gif

+Quote Post
mad
Aug 18 2015, 12:50 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
OK, so here are some recordings from the past sessions including the first 4 timing workout assignments from Gabs workout.

Tapping - really hard for me, but here's my result after having some sessions:
Attached File  BasicTapping_90bpm.mp3 ( 1.14MB ) Number of downloads: 114

Alternate picking/Warmup. First I had problems remembering those patterns, now it's just changing strings. I think there is a problem with my right hand movement - it's rotating and it might be the wrong technique for me...

Timing workouts..

Attached File  Assignment_1.mp3 ( 1.18MB ) Number of downloads: 128

Attached File  Assignment_2_8th.mp3 ( 1.09MB ) Number of downloads: 115

Attached File  Assignment_2_8th_t.mp3 ( 1.09MB ) Number of downloads: 111

Attached File  Assignment_3.mp3 ( 1.66MB ) Number of downloads: 104

Attached File  Assignment_4.mp3 ( 859.97K ) Number of downloads: 128

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 18 2015, 02:24 PM
Instructor
Hi Mad! Cool to find your audios and video here! This sounds good to be the first sessions of your plan. The tapping off course needs to be polished while the warming up sounds good at this tempo (just little sync issues near to the end).

The timing workout is also on the right track. Assignment 2 triplets are not going tight on this one, but then on assignment 4 you play triplets tighter. Assignment 3 also has some room to sounds tighter, mostly when you switch from one pattern to the other one.

Keep on the good job!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mad
Aug 19 2015, 08:32 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Thanks Gab, will keep working on those timing exercises and the next one (5).

Here are some new recordings:

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 19 2015, 02:26 PM
Instructor
Good job man. This lessons are on the way! Keep them practicing to polish details (more precision on legato, cleaner and tighter sound on sweep picking).

Antesmasque.... I've been listening their album and I can say that it's one of the best things I've heard in the last years... smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mad
Aug 21 2015, 09:06 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 19 2015, 01:26 PM) *
Good job man. This lessons are on the way! Keep them practicing to polish details (more precision on legato, cleaner and tighter sound on sweep picking).

Thanks Gabriel, will do smile.gif

Here's Assignment #5 for your timing workout:

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 19 2015, 01:26 PM) *
Antesmasque.... I've been listening their album and I can say that it's one of the best things I've heard in the last years... smile.gif

Saw them live in october last year - it was f***ing amazing!!

+Quote Post
mad
Aug 21 2015, 10:24 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
And here is another recording for the tapping-lesson. Still need to clear up some parts, but it's nearly at full speed...

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 21 2015, 03:05 PM
Instructor
Good job with this lesson mate. There are some little details to fix but the technique used is correct, it's just a matter of time.

Howe are you feeling with this routine? Are you comfortable? Enjoying the sessions?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 22 2015, 08:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mad @ Aug 21 2015, 05:06 AM) *
Thanks Gabriel, will do smile.gif

Here's Assignment #5 for your timing workout:

Hi Mad, good job with this one. Most of the take is sounding tight but there are still some moments when your playing is not tight enough. Also, the intensity of your playing is not totally consistent so I think that some more days of practice to adjust details is a good idea. Let's keep it in your routine.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mad
Aug 24 2015, 07:37 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Thanks Gab, yeha I know what you mean. I'll take some special care and extra time on this assignment smile.gif

And yes - I really enjoy the sessions! I think I'm sticking with the lessons for another 2 weeks and then I'm going to replace some..

+Quote Post
mad
Aug 31 2015, 10:26 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Progress for the tapping lesson..

Still need too clean up some parts and the timing is sometimes off, but I think I'm switching to a different tapping-lesson and maybe come back later for it.

Any recommendations for a tapping lesson?

+Quote Post
mad
Sep 2 2015, 02:09 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I slightly restructured my practice-plan..

Attached Image

As for the lessons:
Warmup: I use my own routine(s), if anyone interested I can share a GP-file
AP#1: Muris Alternate Workout
AP#2: Guidos Finger-Fitness Lesson
Tapping: (still searching for a lesson..)
Theory/Improvise: Gabriels Improvisation Workout
Ear Training: Ear Beater / Gabriels Ear Training
Rhythm/Timing: Gabriels Timing Workout
Sweep Picking: Lians Major&Minor Sweeps Lesson

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 4 2015, 03:27 PM
Instructor
Hi Mad, from what I can notice, the new plan has less topics but more time for each, doesn't it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mad
Sep 9 2015, 10:49 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Yes, just because I tend to need more time on specific topics. Improvising and Sweep Picking needs more time. I'm adding that guitar gym as soon as it starts, too smile.gif

Here is a recording for the rhythm workout assignment#6 :
Attached File  RhythmFiguresWorkout.mp3 ( 918.6K ) Number of downloads: 127

And another progress-recording for the Tapping-Lesson:
Attached File  BasicTapping_105bpm.mp3 ( 1004.75K ) Number of downloads: 94

This post has been edited by mad: Sep 9 2015, 11:11 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 9 2015, 03:46 PM
Instructor
Hi Mad, good job on this two topics. The timing assignment sounds good, it only has one or two notes that aren't totally tight but the overall is really good. Tapping is also much better, it sounds clean and tight most of the time.

I can see you progressing really fast with this plan mate, congrats!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mad
Sep 15 2015, 11:23 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Thanks Gab! Working hard these days tongue.gif
Here's my take for the improvisation course week#1:

Attached File  week_1.mp3 ( 1.01MB ) Number of downloads: 116

Nothing spectacular and very short but it took me quite a while to come up with something like a catchy melody..

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 15 2015, 02:53 PM
Instructor
Hi Mad! You impro is commented HERE.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:15 AM