Agnostic [ 25 ] ** [19.38%]
Atheist [ 44 ] ** [34.11%]
Other [ 13 ] ** [10.08%]
Total Votes: 129

Goliath
Mar 21 2008, 05:48 PM
GMC:er
Tangent @ Muris:
You can't call the treatment of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay terrorism because by the very definition of terrorism it does not apply. Terrorism is using an act of terror to deliver a desired reaction from a general population to enact a desired policy change out of fear. The detainees in Guantanamo are prisoners of "war" and regardless of how cruel they may be treated, it does not affect mood of the general population. It would be another matter entirely if the US was picking up people at random and subjecting them to that type of treatment, but so far as I know that is not the case. Meanwhile, self detonating in a public market place could most certainly be construed as an act of terror. I'm not saying what takes place there is necessarily a lesser evil than acts of terrorism, but they are certainly different forms, as one act victimizes innocent randoms and the other victimizes someone who is captured on the "battlefield".

Of course I'm sure there is a disconnect as I am an aforementioned westerner and certainly my perspective is not as accurate as your own.

Either way, I know and work with many Muslims that are of your mindset Muris, and that's great because there's plenty of space in this sandbox we call Earth for everybody tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 21 2008, 05:56 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I'm an atheist.
I will not begin to discuss religion here, because nothing good will come out of it.
Just look at some of the things that have been said already...

I respect everyones belief, as long as they respect mine.
Religion does not make a person good or bad, his way of life and his intentions do.
I know just as many religious people that deserve punishment as I do non-religious!

and I agree with Muris on this: "And I honor every man as long as he's modest,fair,decent,honest etc. smile.gif "

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Mar 21 2008, 06:19 PM
QUOTE (Sam Hook @ Mar 21 2008, 09:59 AM) *
tongue.gif Haha, I often think stuff like that all the time.

And I thought I was the only one tongue.gif

As far as my beliefs go, I am really undecided as to whether or not there is a god or if we just ended up here by chance somehow. I mean one creator over everything just seems like a story that you'd here in a fairytale book, but on the other hand, I believe that evolution is a load of crap (don't want to start an argument over that, only certain points in evolution are true). I actually live in a religious home right now, but it's never really clicked with me; and I'm begining to REALLY dislike it.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 21 2008, 06:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Mar 21 2008, 05:56 PM) *
I'm an atheist.
I will not begin to discuss religion here, because nothing good will come out of it.
Just look at some of the things that have been said already...

I respect everyones belief, as long as they respect mine.
Religion does not make a person good or bad, his way of life and his intentions do.
I know just as many religious people that deserve punishment as I do non-religious!

and I agree with Muris on this: "And I honor every man as long as he's modest,fair,decent,honest etc. smile.gif "

Thats basically what i had in plan to say smile.gif

People, please be careful.. i've never seen a thread about politics or religion that havent resulted in fights.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Mar 21 2008, 06:23 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 21 2008, 06:49 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I'm agnostic.

I was born and brought up Catholic from an early age but became an atheist in my teens. As I've grown older I've moved more to a position between the two - and not through growing older or wiser as I'm only older but certainly not wiser. In growing older for me I've perhaps accepted a more open field - for me - and now am happy to both wait and hope to be amazed. (I HOPE to be amazed so maybe I'm moving more towards theism...)

Within the scope of moral judgment (which to me is defined by human society, as opposed to ethical - which is given by a divine) - I don't think I'm capable of judging. I certainly can't judge ethics or ethically - that is for a Divine to do (assuming that there is one). I'm flawed in many ways but I do my best - human, all too human - and the best I can offer is to do my best.

What we believe and adjudge sacred or profane though is very personal to us all. And I don't think anyone is having a dig at anyone else so far but as Trond suggests let's keep it that way. Respect each other's beliefs smile.gif

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 21 2008, 07:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Goliath @ Mar 21 2008, 05:48 PM) *
Tangent @ Muris:
You can't call the treatment of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay terrorism because by the very definition of terrorism it does not apply. Terrorism is using an act of terror to deliver a desired reaction from a general population to enact a desired policy change out of fear. The detainees in Guantanamo are prisoners of "war" and regardless of how cruel they may be treated, it does not affect mood of the general population. It would be another matter entirely if the US was picking up people at random and subjecting them to that type of treatment, but so far as I know that is not the case. Meanwhile, self detonating in a public market place could most certainly be construed as an act of terror. I'm not saying what takes place there is necessarily a lesser evil than acts of terrorism, but they are certainly different forms, as one act victimizes innocent randoms and the other victimizes someone who is captured on the "battlefield".

Of course I'm sure there is a disconnect as I am an aforementioned westerner and certainly my perspective is not as accurate as your own.

Either way, I know and work with many Muslims that are of your mindset Muris, and that's great because there's plenty of space in this sandbox we call Earth for everybody tongue.gif

Of course,there are some ugly things at Guantanamo but I could have chosen a way better example.
Invasion on Irak maybe,IRA.... unsure.gif
Anyhow,I'm glad we understand each other. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Mar 21 2008, 07:13 PM
I'm Athesist, I believe in natural creation of everything. If you look at everything scientifically, it began with the Big Bang, then hydrogen fuses together to make oxygen, and all the other elements. From the big bang, it was so hot that that was possible. Over millions of years stars and plants formed, then became galexies. Life began to come into play and everything evolved from small bacteria deep in our oceans, then millions of years later creatures evolved to be able to walk upon land. Evolution took on from there and made every species we have today. smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Mar 21 2008, 07:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Maximus @ Mar 21 2008, 10:05 AM) *
I am a member of this fairly new denomination. Check it out:

New Church

Hahaha!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Mar 21 2008, 07:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Xranthoius @ Mar 21 2008, 02:13 PM) *
I'm Athesist, I believe in natural creation of everything. If you look at everything scientifically, it began with the Big Bang, then hydrogen fuses together to make oxygen, and all the other elements. From the big bang, it was so hot that that was possible. Over millions of years stars and plants formed, then became galexies. Life began to come into play and everything evolved from small bacteria deep in our oceans, then millions of years later creatures evolved to be able to walk upon land. Evolution took on from there and made every species we have today. smile.gif

What is the Big Bang?

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 21 2008, 07:19 PM
Lets go fishing!
Me, Well I dont know what to belive either way smile.gif When I was younger and more troubled, I explored religion/s to comfort myself but it opened more questions than it answered. I could read as many books as I wanted, ask as many questions but it didnt do me any good. As soon as I started relying on myself as an individual, and understood that I was the one that I could rely on my life got pretty good smile.gif

I do however totally respect any belifes anyone might have, "atheiest", or a "thiest", thats cool by me wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Mar 21 2008, 07:21 PM
QUOTE (Wallimann @ Mar 21 2008, 01:17 PM) *
What is the Big Bang?

Billions of years ago, before the universe was even here, there was a small ball of matter floating, eventually it exploded expanding trillions of trillions of light years across creating everything, which is still expanding today. I'm not sure exactly of the theory behind it, here is a link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_bang

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
JVM
Mar 21 2008, 07:39 PM
Learning Roadie
In practice I am mostly atheist. Really though, I'm agnostic. I know there are things that go on around us all the time that we just can't comprehend - a lot of that is scientific, that our eyes cant see the entire spectrum of light for example. I also think a lot of "supernatural" events are easily explainable in natural terms. If there is a higher power, I believe it and science can coexist. And while science can explain the obvious, the things that ARE, or the things that COULD be or WERE, for example, it can never explain why. It can tell you that your energy is equal to half your mass times your velocity squared, but it can't explain why that is... just that it is.

So what I'm trying to get at is, we can understand everything but there has to be something behind it, some reason. Have you ever tried to imagine nothingness? It's impossible... not even blackness, not even an absence of sound, just nothing... it can't be.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Mar 21 2008, 08:04 PM
i belive in the gods of rock smile.gif

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 21 2008, 08:15 PM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Mar 21 2008, 06:19 PM) *
I believe that evolution is a load of crap (don't want to start an argument over that, only certain points in evolution are true).

May i ask why you think its a load of crap? www.talkorigins.org has lots of information on evolution. Its a proven scientific fact.

+Quote Post
SamJ
Mar 21 2008, 08:25 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Mar 21 2008, 07:15 PM) *
May i ask why you think its a load of crap? www.talkorigins.org has lots of information on evolution. Its a proven scientific fact.

I 100% agree with you and also believe in evolution but I don't think that it has actually proven to be fact yet.

Even though there is a large amount of evidence supporting it, it is still just a theory.

If it was proved it would go against creationism and the Genesis story.

Well, that's what I read somewhere, I may be wrong.

This post has been edited by Sam Hook: Mar 21 2008, 08:27 PM

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 21 2008, 08:26 PM
QUOTE (Sam Hook @ Mar 21 2008, 08:25 PM) *
I 100% agree with you and also believe in evolution but I don't think that it has actually proven to be fact yet.

Even though there is a large amount of evidence supporting it, it is still just a theory.

If it was proved it would go against creationism and the Genesis story.

Its not "just a theory" tongue.gif

Taken from talkorigins.org

"Q: I thought evolution was just a theory. Why do you call it a fact?

A: Biological evolution is a change in the genetic characteristics of a population over time. That this happens is a fact. Biological evolution also refers to the common descent of living organisms from shared ancestors. The evidence for historical evolution -- genetic, fossil, anatomical, etc. -- is so overwhelming that it is also considered a fact. The theory of evolution describes the mechanisms that cause evolution. So evolution is both a fact and a theory
"
Tons more of info on the website.

This post has been edited by Robin: Mar 21 2008, 08:27 PM

+Quote Post
dusty
Mar 21 2008, 08:26 PM
oh i do love a good theological debate, although usually after a few drinks. there have been some good points made on either side although if you thought the dog throwing thread was starting to get a bit hot then this one has the potential to go supernova. my turn to add some fuel to the fire.

personally i do not subscribe to the notion of an ultimate intellginece or supreme creator as i am happy with the fact that as a species we do not nor will ever know all the answers to the questions that surround our existence, for me the notion that it is " gods will" or that it is all part of gods grand plan is just the easy way out. religion and belief in god to me is just a way shielding one self from the fear of the unknown.
that is not to say that core the teachings of todays religons are in error they teach some very good things but they are afterall things that have been around in society since we first stepped out of the trees, (i appreciate that the creationists will not agree with that so dont bother quoting and slating me).
i think it is great that we all beleive different things otherwise life would get very boring and stale, it is just another sad fact of life that certain individuals will twist and destort the beliefs of thier fellow followers for thier own personal gain, so for some one to say that an athiest has no morals or that another who believes in a different deity not only wrong but the enemy is typical of the blinkered view of religon/s.

lets face the facts; we are all alive, we are all here on this ball of dirt and water that is hurtling through space at thousands of miles an hour. lets just appreciate that fact and enjoy it while it lasts. tongue.gif

--------------------
"smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast"

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Mar 21 2008, 08:31 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Mar 21 2008, 02:15 PM) *

There's actually two sections of evolution- Macro evolution and microevolution. Micro evolution is the true one (this is all my oppinion, I'm not saying that your wrong!). It's the theory that over time, nature makes small changes to adapt to its environment. Macro evolution says that a fish could evolve into a bird for example. I've got to go right now, but I'll come back later and actually give some reasons as to why I believe this wink.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 21 2008, 08:31 PM
QUOTE (dusty @ Mar 21 2008, 08:26 PM) *
if you thought the dog throwing thread was starting to get a bit hot then this one has the potential to go supernova.

I hope not!! biggrin.gif I like this subject. So far it has been a nice discussion biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Mar 21 2008, 08:32 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Mar 21 2008, 02:15 PM) *

There's actually two sections of evolution- Macro evolution and microevolution. Micro evolution is the true one (this is all my oppinion, I'm not saying that your wrong!). It's the theory that over time, nature makes small changes to adapt to its environment. Macro evolution says that a fish could evolve into a bird for example. I've got to go right now, but I'll come back later and actually give some reasons as to why I believe this wink.gif

--------------------

Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post

20 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:55 AM