2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Instrumental Rock Poll - Who Is The Greatest? Read Before Voting.
Who is the greatest?
Best Player
Steve Vai [ 15 ] ** [27.78%]
Joe Satriani [ 11 ] ** [20.37%]
Paul Gilbert [ 13 ] ** [24.07%]
Buckethead [ 4 ] ** [7.41%]
Andy Timmons [ 7 ] ** [12.96%]
Eric Johnson [ 2 ] ** [3.70%]
Michael Angelo Batio [ 2 ] ** [3.70%]
Who has the best tone?
Steve Vai [ 10 ] ** [18.52%]
Joe Satriani [ 8 ] ** [14.81%]
Paul Gilbert [ 3 ] ** [5.56%]
Buckethead [ 1 ] ** [1.85%]
Andy Timmons [ 13 ] ** [24.07%]
Eric Johnson [ 18 ] ** [33.33%]
Michael Angelo Batio [ 1 ] ** [1.85%]
Total Votes: 54
Guests cannot vote 
JVM
Aug 4 2008, 07:36 PM
Learning Roadie
This is getting interesting... Gilbert had an early lead for playing, but now Vai has matched his count. And Timmons seems to be catching up to Johnson for tone, too.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by JVM: Aug 4 2008, 07:37 PM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nick325
Aug 4 2008, 08:00 PM
GMC:er
steve vai and johnson

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gus
Aug 4 2008, 08:52 PM
Joe Satriani. I saw him live this Saturday. It's even more amazing...

Just to make your list "complete", I think that yngwie malmsteen should be an option on the pool wink.gif

This post has been edited by Gus: Aug 4 2008, 08:55 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Bedlam
Aug 4 2008, 09:05 PM
Vai and Johnson.

I saw Vai on G3 a few years back and it was amazing. Eric Johnson's tone is quite awesome, but never got into his playing that much...

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 4 2008, 09:12 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Bedlam @ Aug 4 2008, 04:05 PM) *
Vai and Johnson.

I saw Vai on G3 a few years back and it was amazing. Eric Johnson's tone is quite awesome, but never got into his playing that much...

Or his singing tongue.gif (for me at least). Gilbert is also a pretty good singer in addition to being a great player. Satch and Vai can both sing decently I think, or at least carry a song. Johnson though, can't stand his singing!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
kjutte
Aug 4 2008, 09:55 PM
Saying "sorry guthrie", makes me thing that this ain't about the notes afterall.
and where's Shawn Lane?!

This post has been edited by kjutte: Aug 4 2008, 09:56 PM

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 4 2008, 10:30 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (kjutte @ Aug 4 2008, 04:55 PM) *
Saying "sorry guthrie", makes me thing that this ain't about the notes afterall.
and where's Shawn Lane?!

Let me explain again, perhaps I worded the original post badly. This is not a poll of who is the best guitarist, for as has been remarked a few times through the thread, that question is so wide open and full of opinion that I'd have to make the list never ending.

It's kind of like the Gibson Vs. Fender thread going on right now. Sure, there are other great guitar companies out there with many great guitars (prs, ibanez, surh to name a few) but Gibson and Fender are the big boys. That thread isn't about what is the best guitar out there, it's to use my own words earlier, kind of a "battle of the champions" which is closer to what this thread is about. Don't get me wrong. Guthrie is amazing. So are many other players I left off the list that could potentially be on it.

If I had instead asked, "Who do you prefer - Vai or Satch?" You probably wouldn't have remarked on it. If I had asked Vai vs. Satch, or even Vai Vs. Satch vs. Gilbert for example, then you probably wouldn't have remarked because I hadn't opened the question up to "who is the greatest of all time". Perhaps it was a bad name for the poll, but really I just wanted a "Vai vs. Satch vs. Gilbert vs. Buckethead vs. Timmons vs. Johnson vs. Batio" because those are the guys I'm specifically interested in hearing everyone's opinions on, based on the reasons I detailed in the first post smile.gif

This post has been edited by JVM: Aug 4 2008, 10:36 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:19 AM