6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Si Lick Of The Day – January 2008 – Entries
Velvet Roger
Dec 27 2008, 03:06 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Please go ahead and post your lick of the day entries in this thread. Please follow the instructions as lined out in this post.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Dec 27 2008, 04:27 PM

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Dec 27 2008, 04:27 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Ok, here is a quick and dirty example of a Lick of the Day entry post (and don't worry, this one won't be preselected by me tongue.gif ):

This quite easy funky-style riff is based on the B minor scale and moves quickly between the chord progression:

Bar 1 & 3: I - IV (with passing notes)
Bar 2 & 4: I - III - IV - II

The GP5 file is attached.

Who's next? smile.gif

Roger

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Dec 27 2008, 05:01 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Funky_Riff_Velvet_Roger.gp5 ( 3.8K ) Number of downloads: 151

--------------------

Guitars & Amps
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Dec 27 2008, 05:17 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I'll kick it off. I was gonna use this lick on an SI lesson but I am going another direction with that so I just happen to have a video handy

The LICK:

This is a tapped string skipping lick based on B minor pentatonic. Uses alot of left hand hammers so be sure to mute with your right hand and your left hand index finger where possible. This lick is phrased in quintuplets or groups of 5. The ascending portion uses a five note pattern and is pretty easy to play in time. The descending portion is a 4 note grouping but phrased in quintuplets so it is a little trickier to play in time. Kind of a cool sound because you get a rhythmic displacement thing going on.

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Dec 27 2008, 07:44 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  SI_LOD_Jan___09.gp5 ( 2.68K ) Number of downloads: 155

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 28 2008, 05:08 PM
Instructor
Awesome licks guys, I like both of them! Great funky lick and great tapping! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Dec 29 2008, 02:13 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Alright, I'm gonna stick with the tapping thing for awhile.

THE LICK:

This is based on the F# minor pentatonic with the exception of the G# at the very start of the lick. The first bar is what I have heard called "turbo tapping". You are basically tapping and hammering the same fret. I still can't do it as clean as I would like but I tried my best biggrin.gif The rest of the lick is just a descending run and the whole phrase is 16th triplets. As always with tapping, muting is key. I know there are players on this board with WAY cooler licks then me!! LETS SEE 'EM biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  LOTD_Jan___09.gp5 ( 2.62K ) Number of downloads: 133

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Dec 29 2008, 09:17 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Great licks Monte,

Come on everybody, lets submit some licks please smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Dec 29 2008, 11:57 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Dec 29 2008, 09:17 AM) *
Great licks Monte,

Come on everybody, lets submit some licks please smile.gif

Thanks Roger! Come on guys, I know there are some licks you guys have been dying share!! Don't be shy now. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 29 2008, 03:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
I will upload some licks in some days smile.gif

When is the deadline? Can you remind me of that one again?

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Dec 29 2008, 03:41 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Alright, sticking with the tapping theme biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

THE LICK:

This lick is actually a complete ripoff of Muris laugh.gif laugh.gif I am sure that some of you are like me and would love to have Muris's alternate picking chops. My wife wants me to look like Brad Pitt too, but it ain't happening laugh.gif laugh.gif Anyways, I am working on Muris's Phrygian advanced lesson and the very last lick of the lesson is one of Muris's licks that gives both your left hand, because of the wide stretches, and your right hand, because of the alternate picking, a serious workout. Muris has no mercy on us poor mortals. laugh.gif laugh.gif I had to come up with something so I decided to tap the lick instead. Makes the fingering easier and it sounds smoother as well, if that is sound you are going for. Since this lick is from Muris's lesson it is straight C-Phrygian. I actually put a little "boost" on it and played it 5 bpm faster than the lesson. laugh.gif laugh.gif Thanks for the lick Muris biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Have fun and let me know if you have any questions.

Monte

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Dec 29 2008, 03:43 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  LOTD3.gp5 ( 1.95K ) Number of downloads: 162

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Dec 29 2008, 05:08 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 29 2008, 03:31 PM) *
I will upload some licks in some days smile.gif

When is the deadline? Can you remind me of that one again?

There is no deadline actually, you can supply whenever you want, as long as it is 1 lick per day max. smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 29 2008, 05:13 PM
Learning Rock Star
Awesome entries, guys. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 29 2008, 05:25 PM
Instructor
Beautiful licks so far !
I am very happy to see Si Lick of the Day kicking in smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Dec 29 2008, 06:34 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Ok, here is another one from me (again, won't select myself later on as one of the finalists of course tongue.gif ). It's from a new song I am currently composing smile.gif

This bluesy riff is fully based on the A minor pentatonic scale with the use of some bass notes, combined with double stops and sliding (to get that bluesy feeling as well).

I have recorded a clean version and a distorted version:

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Dec 29 2008, 06:36 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  LOD_28_Dec_2008_Velvet_Roger.gp5 ( 2K ) Number of downloads: 162

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Dec 29 2008, 06:40 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Dec 29 2008, 06:34 PM) *
Ok, here is another one from me (again, won't select myself later on as one of the finalists of course tongue.gif ). It's from a new song I am currently composing smile.gif

This bluesy riff is fully based on the A minor pentatonic scale with the use of some bass notes, combined with double stops and sliding (to get that bluesy feeling as well).

I have recorded a clean version and a distorted version:

Nice Roger!! I need some bluesy licks in my aresenal, thanks for posting!!

Monte

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 30 2008, 12:36 AM
Learning Rock Star
I was more aiming along the line of: "when is the deadline for January entries?", I geuss. There must be a deadline for these, surely, as otherwise they will go into the February entries, correct?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 30 2008, 12:41 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Wow great licks guys !! You really captured the essence of Lick Of The Day concept!! I enjoyed every take , great job and keep it up!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 30 2008, 12:42 AM
Learning Rock Star
I might just record a lick or two tomorrow, while my girlfriend is out shopping with her friend (no, I do not find pleasure in going into 10000 shops on one day tongue.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Dec 30 2008, 12:49 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 30 2008, 12:36 AM) *
I was more aiming along the line of: "when is the deadline for January entries?", I geuss. There must be a deadline for these, surely, as otherwise they will go into the February entries, correct?

There is a max upload of 1 lick per member per day, and you can submit January entries until the last day of that month smile.gif

For this occasion only, the January thread is already in the air as it went live a couple of days ago smile.gif

Looking forward to your licks.

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 30 2008, 12:50 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Dec 30 2008, 12:49 AM) *
There is a max upload of 1 lick per member per day, and you can submit January entries until the last day of that month smile.gif

For this occasion only, the January thread is already in the air as it went live a couple of days ago smile.gif

Looking forward to your licks.

Alright. Thanks for clearing that up! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Dec 30 2008, 02:13 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Sorry for posting 2 licks today. Posted one last night in my neck of the woods and the other one in the morning. Didn't realize I posted 2 times in the same day. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Monte

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:27 PM