Help With Song Transcription
jaymz023
Feb 9 2015, 06:25 PM
GMC:er
A close friends mom died recently and she asked me to learn this song so my band can play it while she sings it as a tribute to her mom. This is actually her singing it in the recording 15 years ago! Wants it doneon acoustic she says.

Anyway, even though I play metal and hard rock, I agreed. But I am still learning how to play by ear and could use help. I think I hear a C-G-Am-F-G progression for the main parts of the song-but Im probably wrong. Also the intro picking parts I could use help with.

Its frustrating for me because I can play ANY Metallica song from tabs but struggle with learning easy sings without tabs. Thank you in advance!

Oh and yes, it is a POP song...... but not too poppy lol I actually think after I learn the acoustic version my band can make it heavier like Evanescence style....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcmloikpxigs4bo/01%20Cry.m4a?dl=0

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jaymz023
Feb 10 2015, 08:05 PM
Also if there is a better way to upload the song, please let me know. I use dropbox a lot, maybe YouTube is better?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 11 2015, 12:22 AM
Instructor
Hi Jay! I checked the song and these are the chords used there:

Verse: C - Cmaj7 - F - F

Pre-chorus: C - G - Dsus4 - F

Chorus: C - G - Dm - F

And this is a transcription of the intro tabbed by me. biggrin.gif

Attached File  song.gp5 ( 2.62K ) Number of downloads: 95

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
jaymz023
Feb 11 2015, 12:37 AM
Right on man! Thanks for the hard work. I owe you

I dont have Guitar Pro-is there a way for me to view that file without it?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 11 2015, 12:54 AM
Instructor
Sure! You can use Tux Guitar which is a free software that opens GP files, or use this pdf file:

Attached File  song.pdf ( 96.71K ) Number of downloads: 133

http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
jaymz023
Feb 11 2015, 01:11 AM
I decided to buy the GP- I could probably use it! haha Ok, Ill listen and work on it. There is is a picked section at 2:27 is that gonna be close to the same as the intro?

I can play Master of Puppets but am asking how to play these simple parts of this pop song haha Please forgive me!

+Quote Post
jaymz023
Feb 11 2015, 04:50 PM
Sounds awesome man-Well done! It is a hard to stretch to the 8th with my pinky while hanging on to that C chord-any tips?

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 11 2015, 05:13 PM
Learning Rock Star
How about playing the C chord from the 8th position/fret on the low E string, like this:

CODE
Track 1
     S  S  S S E  E  H           S  S  S S E  E  S E.  Q    
E||----------8-L--------------|----------7-L--8--L----------|
B||---------------8--L--------|--------------------8---L----|
G||---------------------------|-----------------------------|
D||-------10------------------|-------10--------------------|
A||----10---------------------|----10-----------------------|
E||--8------------------------|--8--------------------------|

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 11 2015, 05:56 PM
Instructor
yes, Cael suggestion can work. The problem with this tune is that it seems to be played with a keyboard so it has some melodic additions to the chords that are tricky to include. You can try Cael's idea and maybe create a slight variation if you can't play that 7th fret without muting the other strings, as the idea of the arpeggios is to let ring the notes that you play when the others are played, mostly the notes from the chord: root - third - fifth

QUOTE (jaymz023 @ Feb 10 2015, 09:11 PM) *
I decided to buy the GP- I could probably use it! haha Ok, Ill listen and work on it. There is is a picked section at 2:27 is that gonna be close to the same as the intro?

yeah, there you can repeat something similar to the pre-verse played during the intro.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
jaymz023
Feb 12 2015, 09:07 PM
you guys are awesome Checked out your band on FB- Cirse -very cool man!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 13 2015, 02:14 PM
Instructor
Thanks mate! When are you playing the tribute?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
jaymz023
May 1 2015, 06:05 PM
Since the girl who I was learning this song for is now in a band with me I thought I would share our page and we have 3 songs (covers) that we threw together-

www.reverbnation.com/breakthefall2

The recording I had you guys help me with was done when she was 16 years old. She is now 30 and still has an amazing voice.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 1 2015, 09:42 PM
Instructor
Nice! Congrats on your new band. I like her voice. Are you planning to compose your own songs?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:37 PM