4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Fgn J-standard Iliad - Ordered!
Mertay
Apr 3 2015, 09:32 AM
GMC:er
Incase it helps, there is something called a radius gauge that helps aligning the strings;

Its not a must but gives the idea of when detail adjusting the strings must be aligned to the fretboards radius (curve). But overall string height on detailed adjustments is really a personal thing imho.

The one thing that should be done by a luthier is the nut height because they are usually glued or each string space needs a different file type. Keep in mind nut height is the last thing thats adjusted. Let us know if you need any help.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Apr 3 2015, 09:33 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 3 2015, 04:16 PM
GMC Founder
Ok - big grin on my face now: laugh.gif

This axe is awesome! I have been getting so many new tones with it. Just by hitting the low e-string really close to the bridge I head deep into country twang territory.

I am almost wondering if there is a treble bleed installed, because rolling down the volume knob works extremely well (but maybe this is because of the twangy tonal character of teles?).

Also I have been experimenting changing the picking spot with like 15 cm back and forth when soloing - and it gives me extreme tonal variations (sounds a little like Scofield).

Also, the difference between the neck and bridge pickup sound is bigger than any of my other guitars. And the in-between position is really different (still getting use to that one).

The pups are probably the noiseless ones Mertay suggested, there is very little noise and I can play my hi-gain sounds with this axe (though it sounds much more trebl:ish). I am still waiting for Thoman to get back to me about this.

Except for the string action, I cannot think of anything negative with this axe. It's lighter than any of my other guitars, and I am already getting used to the neck which is fat but in a good way, probably better than my les paul.

So I think this one is a keeper! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 3 2015, 06:45 PM
Glad you liked it, have fun! smile.gif By the way I love how a Tele bridge can sound on extreme distortion, sort of reminds me of my tonezone but less rude.

I once commented I had a friend who had 5-6 guitars and he loved a cheap (but modified) squier Tele the most, now another friend got into Tele's after playing his guitar and tomorrow we're going to check some Tele's for him smile.gif the stars must be aligned somehow, I notice many people/friends buying Tele's these days biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 3 2015, 07:46 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
what are the frets like, do they feel different to play compared to regular frets?

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 3 2015, 08:32 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 3 2015, 07:46 PM) *
what are the frets like, do they feel different to play compared to regular frets?

Actually, I can't even see the circular fret thing blink.gif but I guess it's there. Certainly doesnt bother me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 4 2015, 08:44 AM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 3 2015, 09:45 AM) *
I once commented I had a friend who had 5-6 guitars and he loved a cheap (but modified) squier Tele the most, now another friend got into Tele's after playing his guitar and tomorrow we're going to check some Tele's for him smile.gif the stars must be aligned somehow, I notice many people/friends buying Tele's these days biggrin.gif

Everybody comes around to a Tele eventually, wink.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 4 2015, 04:05 PM
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 6 2015, 05:12 PM
Glad you are digging it! The duncan pup is a bit of an upgrade from the stock pickup yeah? Bonus!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 14 2015, 09:30 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 6 2015, 05:12 PM) *
Glad you are digging it! The duncan pup is a bit of an upgrade from the stock pickup yeah? Bonus!

Yes - probably, although fgn pickups got good reviews!

Thoman told me the Duncans are
STR-1
APTL-3 JD

In other words they're pretty vintage standard. I am loving the sounds I am getting, so no plans of changing!

Question for you gearheads!

I will soon take the guitar to a luthier for the following fixes:

* Plek/fret leveling
* add a five way switch, to get series and phase pickup possibilities

Can you think of anything else - mainly electronic wise - that could be cool to try? I could turn the tone and volume knobs into push-pull. I was thinking about installing a treble bleed, but its really not needed for this guitar, as there is zero treble loss when turning down the volume.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 14 2015, 10:04 PM
I never had a guitar Plek'd though did level the frets after 15 years of use. Can't comment much on that, I know Gibson pleks all its expensive guitars so it should have a feeling difference but I doubt major change in string height.

Most important to me is tell the luthier to lower the nut height as much as possible without buzzing, that to me makes the biggest difference on playability.

So the PU's aren't noiseless as I understand, correct?

For electronics, as much as I love customizing I recommend not to rush into that. Changing pots/capacitors has a huge chance of changing the sound so if you already like it then a change might be a risk. We also don't know whats inside it, for example most humbucker guitars come with 500k pots but my ibanez had 1mohm pots as default and after the change I had to adjust more than I planned...

Though as far as I know 4 way switches are very popular on Tele's, if I remember right the extra position adds neck parallel. There is no risk of tone change in this mod.

Also ask the luthier if it already has a treble bleed cap. but if it doesn't check out this thread; http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-technical/...nse-curves.html

After reading this I installed a 0.001 uF capacitor as treble bleed, this means it actually lessens bass of the PU as volume is turned down So you can get really bright/spanky tone out of the telecaster. This is also a popular modification and has no effect when volume is all the way up. Worked great on my humbucker guitar, should work better on your tele.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 15 2015, 02:15 AM
I have one Tele that has a 4-way switch to get the pkups in series - I don't like that tone and wouldn't do it again.
It's turns the neck and bridge into one big humbucker ... but not really. Generally just a dull tone that's a bit louder.
Taking the tone control out of the circuit (Fender S-1 switching) is also popular and just way too bright in a bad way IMO. Teles don't need to be brighter and it seems from your descriptions that you got a good one. Don't mess with the electronics.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 15 2015, 07:16 AM
GMC Founder
Yes I am also leaning towards not touching electronics too much, but my understanding is that phase cancellation and series mode can be added without affecting current tone.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 14 2015, 10:04 PM) *
I never had a guitar Plek'd though did level the frets after 15 years of use. Can't comment much on that, I know Gibson pleks all its expensive guitars so it should have a feeling difference but I doubt major change in string height.

Most important to me is tell the luthier to lower the nut height as much as possible without buzzing, that to me makes the biggest difference on playability.

I have pleked two guitars and results are amazing, if you have a cheap but good sounding guitar you can turn it into an amazing pro instrument with this method.

It even allows you to change the radius to compound, by polishing down the sides of lower frets to create a more extreme radius. I think I am going to try this, any opinions?

No I guess they're not. Though noise has not really bothered me - will need to think more about it, I might have been consumed with all the new tones I am getting.

For electronics, as much as I love customizing I recommend not to rush into that. Changing pots/capacitors has a huge chance of changing the sound so if you already like it then a change might be a risk. We also don't know whats inside it, for example most humbucker guitars come with 500k pots but my ibanez had 1mohm pots as default and after the change I had to adjust more than I planned...

Though as far as I know 4 way switches are very popular on Tele's, if I remember right the extra position adds neck parallel. There is no risk of tone change in this mod.

Also ask the luthier if it already has a treble bleed cap. but if it doesn't check out this thread; http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-technical/...nse-curves.html

After reading this I installed a 0.001 uF capacitor as treble bleed, this means it actually lessens bass of the PU as volume is turned down So you can get really bright/spanky tone out of the telecaster. This is also a popular modification and has no effect when volume is all the way up. Worked great on my humbucker guitar, should work better on your tele.

Yeah I think I won't do any unnecessary treble bleed adjustments. It's funny though because all my other guitars are in need of it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 15 2015, 09:28 AM
I agree with Klasaine on series sound, as already having the breathing tones adding a thick one won't suit such a guitars palette.

Trick to a good out of phase sound is when one pickup is noticeably higher output to the other, I remember my luthier doing that to a 2 humbucker guitar and he had to lower the neck and rise the bridge PU noticeably. Never heard on a Tele but it might actually work very nice, I found this when surfing the net;

Seems like a push-push pot but since we don't want to change the pots (at least yet) I do know a mini switch can be added but by drilling a hole to the pickguard if thats ok for you?

or found a 5 way switch diagram but this needs a super-switch (more expensive than normal switches) and I'm not sure if you'll like a 5 way switch as you get more into the tele-vibe; http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-technical/...iring-help.html

I do like compound radius guitars but never played a Tele with it. It's really a personal choice but to be safe the FGN's frets have a curve as advertised though it can't be seen, would be safe to ask about this if its a problem for the machine.

For treble bleed on your other guitars, its not a hard process only a capacitor is added and it doesn't have to be an expensive one either.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 15 2015, 10:14 AM
GMC Founder
Yeah that's a really nice sound!

The plek machine supports CFS (I checked with them) - but what I don't know is if "fake" compound radius (done in the plek machine by polishing the frets) maybe defeats the purpose of CFS. I do however know that the higher end FGN guitars ship with "true" compound radius and CFS - so I guess it should be ok.

About single coils in series - that's what I have in my strat with the S-1 switch engaged, and I think it gives a nice humbucker "sort of" sound. I used it here (you can see the S-1 switched engaged if you look at the white volume pot):

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 15 2015, 11:07 AM
As I understand the plek machine won't polish much the upper frets but lower the height on the lower frets from center (would be opposite on an ibanez type guitar but since you have a tele...).

This is all about your personal preference but you're used to a scalloped guitar so maybe also consider if you'll like lowered frets close to the neck pickup.

If you're cool with series sound then seems the 5 way super switch seems best for you (better than drilling a hole on the pickguard), worst case you'll just use the current switch if you ever want to go back which isn't a problem.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Apr 15 2015, 11:08 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 15 2015, 01:01 PM
GMC Founder
In order to get compound radius the plek machine will accentuate the radius on the lower frets (the ones far away from the pickups) - and possibly flatten the radius of the higher frets. And you are right the latter might be an issue for me since I don't like small frets at all for soloing (for bending and legato).

I will talk with the plek guys and hear what they say, a compromise might be to only polish the lower frets.

This post has been edited by Kristofer Dahl: Apr 15 2015, 01:27 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 15 2015, 01:05 PM
Let us know how things go smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Apr 15 2015, 01:05 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 15 2015, 01:45 PM
I've done a couple of installs of the Fender TBX mid-boost Tone circuit board. Makes a nice addition to a Tele.
Also, quite a common thing is to turn the Control Plate around and move the Vol to the Tone place and Vice versa so that the Vol is under your picking hand, Tone in the middle and P/up switch is now at the back.
smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 15 2015, 02:51 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Apr 15 2015, 04:45 AM) *
I've done a couple of installs of the Fender TBX mid-boost Tone circuit board. Makes a nice addition to a Tele.
Also, quite a common thing is to turn the Control Plate around and move the Vol to the Tone place and Vice versa so that the Vol is under your picking hand, Tone in the middle and P/up switch is now at the back.
smile.gif smile.gif

+1
That is probably the coolest mod to do to a Tele. Makes those volume swells a lot easier.
Here it is on a G&L 'asat' ...

Attached Image

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 15 2015, 03:14 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 15 2015, 08:48 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Apr 15 2015, 01:45 PM) *
smile.gif smile.gif

Excellent idea about the control plate, will do for sure. Thanks!! I will research the mid boost suggestion.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 15 2015, 01:05 PM) *
Let us know how things go smile.gif

Yes I will for sure. Waiting time for PLEK is quite long though, previously it has taken me 1-2 months. There is only one plek machine in Sweden to my knowledge.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:19 PM