Harmony, Important
Tolek
Nov 4 2008, 04:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey there instructors,
some of you surely learned harmony at school. I am doing it now. Next Monday, I'm going to have an important exam. If don't pass it, I'll have to leave music section or go a class backwards. :-S So, could you please help me? I just wrote some cadences and I am not sure if they're correct.
Could somebody check the 3 examples: Quartvorhalt in G-Dur, Quartvorhalt in D-Dur and Quartvorhalt in A-Dur? please

Thank you. smile.gif

Tolek

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Tolek: Nov 4 2008, 04:04 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tolek
Nov 4 2008, 07:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
Nobody? :'(

EDIT: By the way, this is my 500th post! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Tolek: Nov 4 2008, 07:26 PM

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 8 2008, 10:09 PM
Instructor
Tolek congratulations on your 500th post !

I am looking at this and it looks right
I am getting confused by the german language but I am guessing this all has to be major scale cadences correct?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Nov 8 2008, 10:47 PM
Instructor
In the first ex. (the Cm) you have a plagal cadence (IV-I) I don't know if that's the supposed thing to do. If that's the exercise is ok but check the bar where the I degree stands three times. You have a seventh that "jumps" to the fifth of the V chord. It's forbbiden in classical harmony that kind of movement usually you have to resolve it.

In the second ex. (the C major) in the second measure when you go to a IV degree you have a direct octave between the tenor and the bass (both voices moves to the same note in the same direction) you can solve that moving the bass to the lower F.
When you go from the II degree to the V you have two parallel fifths (could be done if they let you because one of the fifths is diminished). -Between the alto and the soprano-.

I think the rest is ok.

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Pizzoaro
Nov 8 2008, 10:51 PM
GMC:er
Dur is the same as major, and moll is the same as minor, just to clear that up...

--------------------
"Never give up!"

My Youtube

Check out pictures of my band here ---> Bandpictures! Remember to leave a comment!

+Quote Post
Tolek
Nov 8 2008, 11:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Nov 8 2008, 10:09 PM) *
Tolek congratulations on your 500th post !

I am looking at this and it looks right
I am getting confused by the german language but I am guessing this all has to be major scale cadences correct?

You are right. These are major cadences. Sorry that I forgot to mention this. I have to intergrate a fourth in the V of the second mesure. That´s the exercice.
Thank you.

QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Nov 8 2008, 10:47 PM) *
In the first ex. (the Cm) you have a plagal cadence (IV-I) I don't know if that's the supposed thing to do. If that's the exercise is ok but check the bar where the I degree stands three times. You have a seventh that "jumps" to the fifth of the V chord. It's forbbiden in classical harmony that kind of movement usually you have to resolve it.

In the second ex. (the C major) in the second measure when you go to a IV degree you have a direct octave between the tenor and the bass (both voices moves to the same note in the same direction) you can solve that moving the bass to the lower F.
When you go from the II degree to the V you have two parallel fifths (could be done if they let you because one of the fifths is diminished). -Between the alto and the soprano-.

I think the rest is ok.

biggrin.gif

Thanks for this long reply. smile.gif The first exercice is a correction of another one which isn´t on this page. I don´t know what I´ve written there. ohmy.gif That´s horrible... a seventh in the I... We didn´t learn that yet. I have copied badly from the blackboard. dry.gif
The second exercice: I don´t see parallel octaves. huh.gif The notes in the VI are (from Sopran to Bass): C E C G and in the IV: C A F F. So, no parallel octaves, or? We did that examle in class with the teacher, so it shouldn´t be wrong. I asked to check the other examples, those that you didn´t critisize. biggrin.gif I thank you, however. smile.gif

QUOTE (Pizzoaro @ Nov 8 2008, 10:51 PM) *
Dur is the same as major, and moll is the same as minor, just to clear that up...

Thank you for mentioning this.

Please check the last three exercices. (G Major, D Major and A Major)

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Nov 9 2008, 10:15 PM
Instructor
Parallel octaves are different from direct octaves (maybe you didn't learn the rule as for the conduction of the seventh)
Parallel means that two voices "jump" (both move not diatonically) into the same note and with the same motion.

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Tolek
Nov 15 2008, 02:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Nov 9 2008, 10:15 PM) *
Parallel octaves are different from direct octaves (maybe you didn't learn the rule as for the conduction of the seventh)
Parallel means that two voices "jump" (both move not diatonically) into the same note and with the same motion.

biggrin.gif

Sorry, I didn't see your response.
Oh yes, I see it now. Thanks. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:48 PM