CAGED, Part 2 - The AGED in CAGED
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 25 2007, 06:17 PM
Moderation Policy Director
CAGED Lesson Part 2

Introduction

This lesson is part 2 of the CAGED series. If you haven't already, I suggest you check here for part 1.

In part 1 we learnt what CAGED stood for, and a little about what it can do for us. In this lesson we will complete the CAGED system with a tour through the remainder of the scales and chords.

The A Shape

In part one, we were looking at the C shape, the first shape in the CAGED series. We saw that the C shape gives us a major scale, and a selection of chords that can be played in the same position as the scale. Next, we are moving on to the A shape, the second CAGED shape - the A in CAGED in fact. What will we see?

Well, now we are basing our scales and chords around the open chord of A. To get the scale and chords that we desire, we need to move the A shape up 5 frets, to look like this:

Attached Image

Now, when we fill in the scale notes around the A shape, we find that we now have the option of playing our D major scale in a different position on the neck, like this:

Attached Image

This is exactly the same scale as we played before, except that since we have moved up the neck slightly, some of the lower notes are inaccessible, and we have a few higher notes. However, musically it is an identical scale of D major. So now, we know 2 places on the neck we can play this same scale.

Now, remember from the previous lesson, we are looking at how to play 3 chords in each of our scale positions: the D chord which is the root, and the associated G and A chords. Since we are working with the A shape, when we are playing an open chord of A, the chords we would use to make up our 3 chord example set are D and E, and as you might expect, we can make use of these chords in our D scale, using the CAGED A position to get those same G and A chords. We need to move those open chords up 5 frets to make up our set, like this:

Attached Image

Attached Image

The hard part is over now. Hopefully by now you can see that we are systematically working our way up the neck, and for each position we have a scale, and a set of chords that we can use in that position. The next 3 shapes are just more of the same!

The G Shape

Since we're getting so good at this now, I can introduce the scale straight away:

Attached Image

As you can see, it's a little further up the neck, but still musically the same scale. Our 3 example chords are based on the G shape, and are G, C and D, played up 7 frets, to look like this:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Once again, you can see that all of the chord shapes are made up of notes from our scale.

The E Shape

Moving right along, we hit the E shape next. The scale looks like this:

Attached Image

And our 3 example chords will be based on the E, A and B shapes, moved up 10 frets:

Attached Image

Attached Image

The A major chord is a little tricky since there is no natural open chord of B to use, so we will re-use the A shape and move it up 2 frets like this:

Attached Image

The observant amongst you will notice that we are playing an A shape 1 octave up here, to get an A.

The D Shape

And finally we arrive at the last shape - the D shape. The scale looks like this:

Attached Image

And the chords are based on D,G and A, but an octave up.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Now this seems a little strange - we are playing open chords an octave up - isn't that a little weird? Well not really. It is just a coincidence because we picked the scale of D which matches one of the CAGED shapes. This could happen with any of the shapes depending on the scale we are playing, or none of them if we pick a scale that isn't C,A,G,E or D - for instance a scale of C flat, so don't read anything significant into this.

Next Steps

Now we have had a tour of the CAGED system, what should you do with it? Well obviously, practice, practice, practice - but what should you actually practice? Here are a couple of ideas:

Firstly, as with any scale system you should practice all of the boxes until you are comfortable. The next step is moving between boxes. The way you do this is explained very well in Kris' pentatonic series - the same principles apply about moving horizontally, vertically and diagonally. The ultimate aim is that you move beyond the boxes and become comfortable playing runs of notes anywhere on the fretboard - this comes through a lot of practice, and initially knowing the boxes.

Another point to look into is use of chords. I gave 3 example chords for each position, but there is nothing magic about those chords, they were just examples. I hope you understood the principles well enough to apply them to any chord you are interested in. For instance, the chord of E minor can be played in any of the CAGED positions, can you use the principles we have discussed to find all 5 of them? If you practice this enough with many different chords, you will open up the fretboard to many different chord voicings and enrich your rhythm playing. Also, bear in mind that although I showed a lot of these chords with bars, you are free to play them in any way you please - maybe using just a few notes of the chord here and there as passing adornments to a lead line - the important thing is that you know where to find the notes and the chords.

Conclusion

That's it for now - enjoy learning the CAGED system and opening up that fretboard - if you have any questions or feedback, I'll see you on the forum!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Mar 14 2007, 03:01 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Andrew Cockburn   CAGED   Feb 25 2007, 06:17 PM
- - radarlove1984   Once again, great lesson. Thanks so much for clear...   Feb 25 2007, 09:51 PM
|- - Andrew Cockburn   QUOTE (radarlove1984 @ Feb 25 2007, 03:51...   Feb 26 2007, 05:40 PM
nnn
- - fretdancer   Andrew, Big round of applause for making it all so...   Feb 26 2007, 08:24 PM
|- - Andrew Cockburn   QUOTE (fretdancer @ Feb 26 2007, 02:24 PM...   Feb 28 2007, 02:22 PM
nnn
- - Kristofer Dahl   WOW!! Thanks do some research done by Andr...   Feb 28 2007, 08:55 AM
- - Layzer   Andrew i spent 30minutes seriously diving into thi...   May 30 2007, 01:21 AM
|- - Andrew Cockburn   QUOTE (Layzer @ May 29 2007, 08:21 PM) An...   May 30 2007, 03:23 AM
|- - Layzer   QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ May 29 2007, 09...   May 30 2007, 03:41 AM
|- - Andrew Cockburn   QUOTE (Layzer @ May 29 2007, 10:41 PM) gr...   May 30 2007, 03:58 AM
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - coxy81   Wow! awsome stuff Andrew. Really simple to un...   Sep 8 2007, 12:36 PM
|- - Andrew Cockburn   Great - glad it was helpful   Sep 8 2007, 09:20 PM
nnn
- - shellshock1911   What is the relationship between this system and m...   Dec 31 2007, 06:52 PM
|- - Andrew Cockburn   Modes and boxes are related, although not the same...   Jan 1 2008, 04:48 AM
nnn
- - -Zion-   Hi Andrew. It's a good lesson, but im not sur...   May 26 2008, 02:31 PM
|- - Andrew Cockburn   I think I'd more call it a way of relating bar...   May 26 2008, 06:23 PM
nnn
- - -Zion-   thanx andrew.. i think i have to read this lesson...   May 26 2008, 09:19 PM
|- - Andrew Cockburn   Don't be a slave to it though - this is one po...   May 26 2008, 09:34 PM
nnn
- - Echegollen   Is it only me or below the ''G shapes...   Oct 13 2008, 08:12 PM
|- - Andrew Cockburn   Its a little confusing but "G Shape" ref...   Oct 14 2008, 01:06 PM
nnn
- - Pedja Simovic   Andrew if I may contribute with something. That i...   Oct 16 2008, 01:09 AM
- - Andrew Cockburn   Great! The more theory the merrier as far as I...   Oct 16 2008, 01:54 AM
- - qoody   QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Oct 16 2008, 08:09...   Apr 6 2009, 04:55 AM
- - Pedja Simovic   QUOTE (qoody @ Apr 6 2009, 05:55 AM) Sorr...   Apr 6 2009, 05:11 AM
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:59 PM