Instructor "kula" Collab, Final mix & comments!
Chris Evans
Aug 25 2009, 09:12 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
and here it is biggrin.gif

I`ll just write a few words before handing you over to Pedja smile.gif

Firstly thank you all for taking part, I for one really appreciate all your takes, and I love listening to them all while mixing them down, I hope that you enjoy the mix, and I`ll get another backing up soon smile.gif

a big thanks for Pedja as well for takingthe time to write up the comments, cheers mate your a star! smile.gif

a quick note for Ivan - Ivan, I really loved your take, I did however have a lot of problems syncing your take, I dont know why, I dont usually have too many problems syncing them, I have listened to the original so many times that I think I almost lost my way laugh.gif but hopefully it is close, again apologies if its not absolutly 100%

anyways, thank you again guys, heres your comments from Pedja! smile.gif

Welcome to Insturctor Kuba collaboration.
This time we had 5 instructors participate and show some great technique and musicality.
Backing track was great (thanks to Chris Evans) and it allowed each of you to show your strenghts.
I did my best to find strong and weak points in your take and I hope you will take the comments right way and not get offended in any way smile.gif

Heres the mix Attached File  Kula_collab_Final_Mix.mp3 ( 8.35MB ) Number of downloads: 386

Onto the comments...

Laszlo (0:00 - 1:16)

Sound - Great sound Laszlo. I really like how you changed sound towards the end of the solo!
Intro - Excellent intro! Sounds like a counterpoint line with original guitar riff. You also included different melodic endings. Well done man!
Phrasing/Time feel/Rhythm - Great phrasing, excellent rhythm choice and use of time feel. In first section you established regular time feel, with sweep picking arpeggios you did double time feel and with exotic scale you used half time feel. Excellent work man!
Development/Melodic shapes - Very good work here as well. Scale runs, arpeggios, motives, different endings, sequence. Great work Laszlo!
Technique - Legato, alternate, sliding, bending, vibrato - perfect use of these techniques. Your style of playing really sticks out!
Ending - I really like the ideas you showed in the ending with different guitar sounds and melodic approach. I do however think that very last funky type riff sounds a bit weaker (it could be played tighter rhythmically). Other than this perfect man!

Overall this was awesome take. Since it is your first recording for instructor collaboration, I did not know what to expect from you over unknown backing track (new teritory every month smile.gif Laszlo you showed great melodic ideas, development, excellent technique and musicality. I really enjoyed listening to your take, especially with tricks such as harmonizing, using exotic scales and changing sounds in the ending - that was really memorable! Well done man and I hope you will participate in future instructor collaborations!

Muris (1:16 - 2:28)

Sound - I heard this sound couple of times from you and its great. Well done man!
Intro - Good melodic idea that turned into different endings. Good development in intro Muris!
Phrasing/Time feel/Rhythm - Very solid control of time feel and rhythm choice. Phrasing was spot on, no complains in this department smile.gif Your melodies were mostly question answer types with regular or half time feel being question and answer being double time feel. Great work.
Development/Melodic shapes - I liked the development in this solo, especially how you paced yourself with different techniques. One thing in particular that was sticking out with melodic shape was your use of wide interval leaps (octaves and such) with arpeggios. Excellent work!
Technique - Legato, tapping, bending, vibrato, hybrid picking - great usage of these! I especially enjoyed your legato, tapping and hybrid picking lines. Well done Muris!
Ending - Very good ending ! I like how you used melodic quotation with main guitar riff in the backing track. Well done !

Overall this was great take Muris ! I enjoyed listening to your legato, tapping and hybrid picking melodic ideas the most. Development was there with great sound. I somehow feel that you could have done better job with this take. Almost like you didn't express yourself entirely through this take. Don't get me wrong, take is great as it is, I just feel that you could do more and better (as I heard some monster ideas from you in previous collaborations, lessons and original compositions). Thank you Muris, hope to see you in next collaboration !

Ivan (2:28 - 3:40)

Sound - Very cool sound Ivan, I like it a lot as all your melodic ideas sound great with it. Well done!
Intro - Good intro! Slow vs fast type of soloing. I like how when you ended the long phrase you came back to original starting note and started a totally new phrase. Great work!
Phrasing/Time feel/Rhythm - Very good work with time feel and rhythm! Phrasing was mostly great except around 2:40 where it sounded weaker (you were behind the beat mostly in that section). Time feel soloing was great as in the 2nd section you did double time soloing and displayed some great ideas. Good work Ivan!
Development/Melodic shapes - Very strong development Ivan. I like how your phrases are sounding natural and are question answer related. This is especially true in the 2nd section where you did mostly double time soloing. Melodic shapes could use more work as you were doing mostly scale type soloing (need more variety, perhaps interval soloing or even arpeggios to spice up linear type lines). Also in the last section it sounded like you were running out of ideas, so you started playing some blues licks and not linking the ideas as good as in previous sections. Overall you did a good job man!
Technique - Legato, bending, vibrato are the main techniques applied here. This is normal as your main style of choice is blues and it doesn't require techniques such as sweep picking, tapping and such smile.gif Good work with those techniques, especially legato in the 2nd section!
Ending - This section probably needs most work as it doesn't sound in any way defined. There was no specific rhythm, melodic phrase, melodic quotation with main riff, repetition, sequence or even a high melodic peak to let the listener know solo ended in any way. This part needs most work in my opinion.

Overall this was very refreshing take Ivan compared to the other 4 takes. Your sound was great, your melodic ideas were question answer based and your time feel soloing was great (especially in the 2nd section). Things that I think need to be worked on is the ending (more decisive and precise with specific rhythm or melody) and development in the section after double time soloing. Everything else was great man. Thank you for submiting your take Ivan, hope to see you in the next collaboration !

Emir (3:40 - 4:52)

Sound - As in previous collaborations great sound with boosted high frequencies. Well done Emir.
Intro - You were the first one to start with melodic quotation. Very interesting as you only did it once and then went onto new melodic ideas. I like it as it worked great. Great work Emir.
Phrasing/Time feel/Rhythm - Very good work with phrasing, time feel and rhythm. Phrasing was tight even when you did some insane alternate picking runs up the neck. Time feel soloing was mostly done with double time that sounded mostly like regular time except when you had Hendrix like bends which were done with longer rhythm (half time feel). Rhythm choice was great as you had eights, triplets and sixteens. Well done Emir.
Development/Melodic shapes - Great development if not one of the best in this collaboration. Every time main riff was there you played it once and then went onto new melodies. Your add 4 arpeggios were very refreshing in 2nd section as was killer alternate picking runs. I also enjoyed hearing your legato lines and harmonics with palm of the hand moving over pick ups (Satriani like). Melodic shapes were also great because you had linear scale approach but also used arpeggios (in the 2nd section). Well done Emir!
Technique - Alternate, legato, sweep picking, taping, vibrato, bending - great use of these techniques. Very unpredictable and refreshing, well done man.
Ending - Love it! As you were building climax to the ending going up the neck with alternate picking run, you perfectly switched the octaves and came down to finish with melodic quotation of main riff. Awesome!

Overall this was awesome take Emir. Your technique and melodic ideas (and attitude) comes out in all your takes. I like that a lot. As I suggested in previous collaborations, I would like to hear more space in your solos (especially in the section towards the ending, a lot of legato and constant playing there) and use of interval soloing (like Muris does with octaves for example). Everything else is perfect and I wouldn't change it a bit. Well done man, really cool take ! Hope to see you in next collaboration Emir!

Piotr(4:52 - 6:04)

Sound - I like your sound Piotr, perfect balance of all frequencies. Very cool of you change your sound in the last section like Laszlo. Well done!
Intro - Excellent work with intro Piotr. Long rhythm on bends and slow development. Well done man!
Phrasing/Time feel/Rhythm - Everything spot on Piotr here, your style sticks out and you know how to show your strengths. Well done man!
Development/Melodic shapes - Development and melodic shapes besides techniques you use are your strongest points. Perfect development from intro all the way to the ending with right techniques at the right time. Melodic shapes vary and that's what I especially like about your playing. This solo sounded bluesy in some parts, in some Satriani like but it was great mixture of approaches you choose. Well done man.
Technique - Tremolo bar, bending, vibrato, open string licks, legato, double stops - perfect usage of these techniques. I would especially emphasize how you were the only one that used double stops and did it in perfect spot as it was very melodic, usefull and unexpected! I am delighted by this. Well done Piotr!
Ending - Very good ending. Alternate picking run up the neck with high note becoming peak melody point. I also like how you used delay in the ending as it was the very last take. Added a whole new dimension to it, awesome work!

Overall this was awesome take Piotr. I enjoyed way too many things in it smile.gif At times you played major vs minor type scales which was tricky but you pulled it off very well. Technique was flawless as was phrasing, time feel, rhythm choice, development and melodic shapes. I really have nothing to suggest for this take that should improve. If I had to be too picky I would say perhaps less poly tonal soloing (major vs minor sound) as you did it in two sections. Other than this it is all great in my opinion. Well done Piotr and hope to see you in next collaboration !

Guys, hope enjoyed your comments. This was extremely difficult task as I came back from vacation and had to really tune in my ears to your awesome takes in order to write some comments for them. I am very happy with all of your takes and it is pleasure to work with each of you as part of GMC instructor team. I would also like to thank Chris Evans for making this awesome backing track and making it all happen. I hope you will all be back in future instructor collaborations. Until then, keep playing great !

Pedja

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 25 2009, 09:33 PM
Instructor
Great collaboration, I listened to all the takes once more and read the comments, realized once more we have some extraordinary guitar players and musicians here.

Well done Chris of putting this collab together, and great job with the comments Pedja, they were all spot on. Cheers.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 25 2009, 09:33 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Aug 25 2009, 10:09 PM
Instructor
Wow thanks a lot for this great comment. I was afraid that I'll find something like "you really overplayed it" smile.gif

Great backing, great collab and I know I've gone a bit too excited but I had a great fun recording it.

Thanks again

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Piotr Kaczor
Aug 26 2009, 10:41 AM
Instructor
Thanks for this great collaboration and awesome comment. It's always a great pleasure to play alongside such distinguished guitarists!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Aug 26 2009, 11:13 AM
Instructor
Glad you enjoyed your comments guys. Once again thank you Chris for making it all happen!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Laszlo Boross
Aug 26 2009, 06:20 PM
Instructor
Thanks for this great comment Pedja! And thanks Chris for your help in this collaboration! This was my first collaboration and I very enjoyed it. It was a good feeling to play with you guys! Thanks a lot once again!

--------------------
Check out my lessons

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 26 2009, 08:37 PM
Instructor
Next stop - video live collaboration! biggrin.gif That would be awesome to see in reality! smile.gif

Can't wait the next collaboration guys. Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Piotr Kaczor
Aug 28 2009, 11:05 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 26 2009, 09:37 PM) *
Next stop - video live collaboration! biggrin.gif That would be awesome to see in reality! smile.gif

Cool idea, Ivan! I'm in! Maybe some blues stuff? It would be great smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile

+Quote Post
Laszlo Boross
Aug 28 2009, 05:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 26 2009, 09:37 PM) *

This is a really good idea! It would be very exciting!

--------------------
Check out my lessons

+Quote Post
Sergio Dorado
Aug 28 2009, 05:27 PM
Flamenco Instructor
Awesome takes friends!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 28 2009, 06:05 PM
Instructor
Well I could do the collab if you want, I'll post some backing in couple of days! Only videos allowed! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Aug 28 2009, 06:17 PM
Instructor
Would I have to make video comments as well in that case? biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 30 2009, 06:30 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Great playing guys! This was an awesome collab to listen to! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 2 2009, 05:36 PM
Instructor
Awesome takes, mix and comments,
well done everyone, was a pleasure to participate indeed! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 2 2009, 09:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Aug 28 2009, 07:17 PM) *
Would I have to make video comments as well in that case? biggrin.gif

It's up to you of course, but I think text comments will be great, thanks! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 2 2009, 09:43 PM
Instructor
Text comments are really enough for instructors collabs especially when Pedja does his in depth analisys. Video will be cool but not really neccessary in my oppinion.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Sep 4 2009, 09:39 PM
Instructor
Great playing guys and excellent comment Pedja smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 21 2009, 05:23 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
What a killer collab guys, awesome takes from all of you, this really rocks.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Mar 6 2010, 03:37 AM
GMC:er
Great work guys, excellent takes and mix too!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 11:32 AM