6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Completed Gmc Collaborations
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 1 2010, 12:09 AM
Instructor
SOULFUL COLLAB:

Hey everyone, this month we had only 2 participants in the collab, but it was great nevertheless. Thanks a lot Kaz and Ruzz! smile.gif

Kaz:

Rhythm: by listening to the take, I god interested in rhythmical phrases a lot in the beginning of the take, they had nice idea and form, and the whole first half of your playing maintained interest. However, that started to drop a bit in the second part of the solo as very similar rhythmical figures were used towards the end as in the middle, and it started to sound a bit more repetitive. Your timing and overall execution of notes was very good tho, so that fixed the problem a bit. No mistakes and every note in it's place already means a lot. Having said that, I would really like to hear a bit more polished timing here. You know what you want and know how to do it, but some refinement would make it sound professional. Regarding structure, I think the problem is that you started to early with those rhythmic themes, and later run out of ideas. This is why more experienced players usually start the solo very simple, just couple of notes, and let if develop, let it get more complicated and faster later. This has big advantages: you give yourself time to think about where you want to go, give listened time to understand it as well (and ask himself where you will go), and just build up from start to end.
Phrasing: I definitely think you have a good sense for melody and phrase building, and this is definitely supported by a good note knowledge. You know the patterns, but more importantly, slowly acquiring a feel where the important notes are, so you can go to them effectively. However, I couldn't help noticing that your playing reflects lots of up & down phrases with occasional excursions to third/fourth interval jumps max. Having said that, I advise practicing more arpeggios and string skips over already familiar scalar patterns - these will greatly increase your playing range. One more thing I must notice is that the end of the solo was again not effective. Same story goes here as for the rhyhm part so I will keep the suggestion short - make room in the beginning, build a climax on the sweet spot, and finish effectively with a proper note, not sounding repetitively while maintaining fluidness of the melody.
Technique: Your technique is increasing very nicely. I like the fact you are using scalar triplet runs, and all the notes come out good. My advices to you is to pay more attention to the bends and vibratos now - they are good and you're getting there, but they need more precision and power. The muting techniques should be focused on as well during practice since there are some "bleeds" that spoil the impression.
Sound: Sound is good, smooth, but a bit buzzy on the top end. However, I notice improvement in sound from last collabs, the top end isn't so harsh anymore. Could be that you found the better preset, but I bet better tone control with fingers has something to do with it as well. I think the preset is good, but a bit less overdrive would sound better, and the level of delay could be a bit lower too. buzzy top end can be smoothed out with some good multiband limiter, so it softens up the peaks in the upper range.

Ruzz

Rhythm: Excellent rhythmical phrases that really go well with this kind of a track. You experimented with lots of different note values and it sure pays off to do that, because you kept the solo interesting. One thing that I must compliment here as well is great timing, you are really nicely keeping beat and getting into the groove. The thing that bothered me slightly during listening is too frequent use of 16th notes towards the end of the take. It's great that those particular notes were used, but there are too many of them in the last part. Breaking off only two of them, and connecting them to eight would already sound interesting. Other than that I have nothing to add, I really like this part.
Phrasing: Good phrasing, and very careful and thoughtful playing. I think the call & response pairs were all very nice, but you seem to have trouble with the response one on some places. The landing notes are not that well used, and I believe this is because there is still some work to be done in scales & arpeggios department. Specially arpeggios, because your phrases usually go up& down, and more frequent 3rd/4th successive jumps would make it more interesting.
Technique: I think you played this take really nice. As a listener, I can hear all the notes very well, and everything is well defined. You choose to play a bit simpler take, but I found this kind of playing much more effective, where notes have more stronger function, then to speed things up with no particular sense.
Sound: The sound you achieved is very interesting, and I like it. I'm not sure what it is, it reminds me on Guitar Rig because of that "gluey" tone that GR natively has. Anyway, whatever it is, octave part really fattened up the tona, giving it a nice round, woody character. I think it is nice, and if you haven't done so, I recommend cutting bellow 90Hz to remove any excess rumble.

FINAL MIX

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 2 2010, 06:07 PM
Instructor
Hobo Blues Collaboration

- collaboration leader: Ivan Milenkovic
- collaboration type: slow minor based blues
- takes format: audio
- comments format: text
- participants: 10

Keilnoth:

Rhythm: In this take, you played some very cool rhythmical phrases. The most effective way of using timing was when the chordal changes take place. However, you seem to get lost while one chord is lasting. Here I advise that you pay special care on the structure of your rhythmical improvisation. Try to analyze it, and see if you can come up with more convincing patterns that the listener can identify and recognize throughout the solo. It doesn't have to be difficult at all, often just a couple of notes will do, but you have to play them right. The lack of sustain doesn't help here, and I think you need that to connect all these phrases together to form a more fluid motion.
Phrasing: There are some very interesting ideas in this take, and I like your playing here. It has a nice sad vibe to it. Having said that, I think you can take your playing to the next level by introducing repetition and phrase building in your playing. It is a very simple, but very effective concept, and it basically means that once you play a good phrase, it may be wise to repeat it, develop it, alter it a bit, and keep the phrase flowing and evolving within the solo. This sounds much more appealing and logical to the listener already.
Technique: Gentle way of playing goes along well with this backing track. Bends are decent, and playing in general is not bad at all. What lacks here the most is vibrato. Vibrato is effect that should be applied very often over this kind of a track, on almost every note where you stop for a moment, there should be a vibrato. So my advice would be to start implementing it in your playing, cause it can only sound great with it, once you get used to it.
Sound: Reverb depth is big but goes along nicely with this track. CHoosing Hiwatt emulation is a good thing, I use that one myself often, but bare in mind that one doesn't have too much sustain, and it is not a forgiving model. What comes in, comes out, specially if you add the Cat on top of it, which will make it even more cranky. However, it was a nice tone, a bit thin and cold, but cool for this track. Bare in mind that the guitar sound was a bit quieter than needed, so possibly more louder mix would be even better.

Brandon:

Rhythm: In contrast to Ozrob's playing, your take had a bit too big pauses between the phrases in the first part. In the second part, the pauses were not an issue, but timing was. Although this kind of a track is syncopation-friendly, you must learn to play dead on the beat in order to achieve any kind of syncopation effect on the notes.
Phrasing: What can be problematic with the way you play is that melodic information isn't present. Licks and phrases are scattered without any structure or connection between them. In those situations if you don't know what to do, my best advice for you is to find a simple melody, repeat it several times, and do variations of it. This is how you will acquire necessary phrasing skills in relatively small amount of time. But be aware - in order for this practice to have it's full potential, you must learn the diatonic pattern over the neck very well.
Technique: There is a sense for dynamics within you, and the contrast between the first part of the solo and second one proves that. However, you lack technical ability to play faster passages. Try to make your fretting and picking more steady by practicing runs up & down with metronome, it will help tighten those fingers a bit.
Sound: Nice good clean sound, a bit muddy but good and well rounded. Reverb is nice too. Just the right amount of overdrive, I think everything was nice except I would added a bit more presence. Just a personal preference tho..

JamesT

Rhythm: You seem to have a solid understanding of the beat, and follow it nicely in highly syncopated manner. The thing with your take is that it is too syncopated, and there is hardly any anchor points where the notes can really relate to the kicking of the drum for instance. Although it is good to have this kind of non-structurized solo, there are certain places where it is good to accent the beat before your phrases go off.
Phrasing: By listening to you do your phrasing I can't help notice that it sounds repetitive. This is because several different movements with the pick have been rehearsed properly, and they are repeated over and over, in different positions and different pattern/shape. My advice to you is to start systematically go through various picking combinations so that you have more flexibility and ways to play something. Expanding lick vocabulary is a must too, so be sure to jamm some with the backing and make good licks. In the middle of the solo, there is a small improvisational attemp, you repeated the same lick several times, but altering the landing note. This kind of a method is well suited for improvisational exercise, so be sure to practice that as well on top of some simple backing with 1-3 chords. This is enhance your ability to use the licks you know in different situations.
Technique: As I said, more picking, more metronome practicing, arps, scales, chords. First the basics, then the rest. Bending/vibrato also needs work. Just take is step by step as always. There were also several whammy attempts, and although it sounded interesting, you need to tighten up that whammy a bit as well with the metronome.
Sound: Sound is pretty good, not a lot of reverb and delay, and amount of overdrive was OK. The tone was a bit flat tho.

Berglmir:

Rhythm: Excellent connection of the solo with the backing, and great rhythmical phrasing throughout. By listening your take one thing crosses my mind and that is fine-tuning. You have to fine tune all those little mistakes you have made, make timing corrections and just tighten up your take, specially the last part. There were syncopated moments in the solo, but I think in some times, specially in the middle, the solo was too connected with the drums. I think a more loosier form would do better.
Phrasing: Phrasing was very good and melodic. In order to achieve greater level of playing, you should practice more arpeggios and big horizontal movements. Every time you make an attempt to play something fast, it ends up with one familiar phrase that is usually somewhere in the pentatonic region. Try to expand your vocabulary of faster passages on other positions as well, and try to work on melody building more. Although the solo was melodic, little attention was made to the actual melodic flow, and more on the landing notes themselves.
Technique: Very well bending/vibrato control, coupled with good dynamic picking will always spawn a good result. Your playing was good, and I suggest you tighten up your picking hand a bit, it seems that there lies the problem. Try practicing some AP runs for a while to overcome that.
Sound: Sound was very good throughout the solo, with a cool dark vibe to it. The second part had slightly unnatural sound than the first one, possibly some other effect was brought in, but in overall it sounded good to my ears.

ukyo

Rhythm: Very good take rhythmically. You managed to create a well balanced solo with good number of faster and slower passages and good pauses in between. The first 3 phrases are rhythmically identical, which can work when the phrases are developing a bit, but if they are completely the same, I advise that you consider changing either the rhythm slightly, or the melody. This will help creating more interest with the listener. Towards the end of the take you had some great passages and cool long bends, and I think you have a nice fluid way of playing things, but you have to increase your ability to play well on the bass strings as well, since all of the problems in your take were connected to the way you descend and loose yourself in the bass string region.
Phrasing: Phrasing was quite good with great fluid melodies that track the chords very nicely. You coupled that with the licks you usually use, and I think it goes along great. It seems that you like to play the blues and understand what it is all about. My advice for you is to watch for the lower register as well. In this solo, you were in the upper register most of the time, and some contrasting with lower voiced phrases would help.
Technique: Very expressive technique. Good steady movements, but a bit stiff on moments. You lack a bit of power in your playing, touch dynamics with the picking hand. From time to time, in blues it is good to slam a note properly. Try to rehearse that and you will see how it helps here and there and makes the notes more alive. Your bending is quite good, and vibrato usage was great as well. I like how often you do vibrato, but pay attention - sometimes it needs to be a bit more tamed, even, softer. I know it may not be your style, but vibrato has a range and the whole range can be used quite effectively. Any great player uses the whole range to it's advantage.
Sound: Very nice sound, with a touch more delay than I like, but it sounds good, not bad. The sound itself has a good round character, but it is a bit muddy and lacks dynamics. Possibly you rolled off the tone on the guitar, and although this gives a good tone, this tone has it's limits.

Staffay:

Rhythm: By listening your take, it is clear to me you have great sense for rhythm, the notes are placed as you wish them to be placed, and from that side it all sounds pretty good. On the other hand, there are few problems with rhythm here. First one is minor issue of one phrase (2nd sliding one after the first IV chord) being a bit rushed to my ears. Second problem is a bit noticeable and considers the lack of definition for those faster passages. Although the problem is more of a technical nature, and the two descending passages can be described as "played loose", I have a feeling with your kind of experience you could done it in a more balanced way.
Phrasing: Whole take was quite good an interesting to hear. The only issue I can note is a little drop in the very last part of the solo. There is room for improvement there.
Technique: Technique was very good, dynamic touch, bends, slides, vibratos, raked notes, all contributed quite nicely. Only issue is the lack of definition on the descending passages. As soon as you move up the speed, there should be just a bit more sync between the hands to make it sound convincing.
Sound: Great sound

Gitarrero

Rhythm: Very nicely played take rhythmically. There are couple of things I can recommend for you. First, you seem to play a lot of sixteen triplet pairs in the take. This is because you take those eight triplets (counted on the hihat) and create a pair of swinged notes on top of every of those eights triplets. In essence, this means you are usually putting up a straightforward kind of melody that doesn't involve too much syncopation, or frequent rhythmic changes. I'm not saying that you have to do this, but in order to achiveve higher rhythmical expression level, you need the ability to dissolve rhythm, use rests and various note durations to your liking. This is done by practicing various note durations with your regular practice routine exercises. Second thing, is that the solo needs some climax, or development here and there. You kept it pretty steady here, and although it can pass, I really recommend that you start doing some more advanced runs that will help you in those moments when you have to turn on the booster for the climax or something.
Phrasing: By listening to your phrasing I notice that there are some interesting elements and phrases in there, but I think you are just going up & down on the patter, using 1 or 2 positions. Although this may work, as you are punching in the right notes, there is room for improvement. You have to develop a melody, and you need to work more on arpeggios. They will help you connect your playing with the chords beneath, so I advise you start covering arpeggio systematic exercises as soon as you can.
Technique: Playing was good and well defined, but you lack dynamics a lot. There are at least 3 ways of picking the strings: soft, medium, heavy. All 3 should be rehearsed, as this makes your playing come alive.
Sound: Very interesting sound with the vibrato, I like the use of vibrato and vintage voiced reverb, it reminds on surf a bit. Anyway, it is cool, and I think you could use just a bit less reverb, that's all.

OzRob:

Rhythm: This time, drums were followed more carefully with good development in the second part. I couldn't help noticing that you are using lots of 16 triplets here, and I think the solo would benefit from longer notes in the first section, and syncopation in the second section.
Phrasing: the solo was good, but it didn't contain enough melodic richness, usually there are licks played, tied together, and most of the time it sounds repetitive. I recommend more arpeggio workouts.
Technique: Nice use of vibrato on some places, and in general a very decently played take. I think you need to work on your bending and muting the most. Tightening up the picking hand wouldn't hurt either.
Sound: Sound was good, vintage type with plenty of mids. It lacked low end, and had buzy character with low dynamic range. Try choosing a more cleaner, fuller, open preset, and add gain with care.

Sensible Jones:

Rhythm: On of the better rhythmic usages I've heard. Great sense for rhythm and syncopation, but in the same time, very well connected on the places it should be with the backing. Having said that, there is room for fine tuning the style you are expressing here. Timing needs to be more tight, there are several places where notes need to be dead on the beat, and there were not. Practicing only strong sharp raking on all strong notes of chords that are used in the progression is one great way to achieve proficiency in this area.
Phrasing: Your phrasing is very good and it is really nicely balanced, with proper use of the pentatonic but also a minor scale as well. I specially like the bends within a minor scale, it sounds really cool. The problem with this take is that it is focused in one register only. During the solo it is good to "travel" over the neck a bit, playing in low, middle, high register. This will increase the range of notes you are using and really make the part sound cool. Since you are familiar and use this position well, I now advise more improvisation practice in other positions too. You can use the same licks for starters, and invent new along the way, that would be one easy way of starting, if you aren't sure what to do on those positions.
Technique: You have a good slow bending technique and use it quite well, and the bends are precise. However, you need more strength in those faster bends that you use on the faster passages. They need to be faster, tighter, stronger, and of course precise. Vibrato is cool, but needs more work to become more steadier and even. Pressing the string nicely and evenly during the vibrato is very important for you tone, so try to acquire a good control over that kind of pressure. The faster passages are good, and I see you use them often since they are polished, but some tightening up wouldn't hurt in that area as well.
Sound: It would be better to keep the signal clean for this take, because the overdrive isn't particularly good on this one. It sounds raw, almost as if pedal was used without cabinet emulation, if you know what I mean. Try to smooth it out a bit, I think the character of it is cool, but need something more in the chain, like a cab emulation. Otherwise it is good.

NoSkill:

Rhythm: You displayed very good rhythm in this solo, and the timing was fairly accurate throughout. The thing that will help this take to become a bit more live is syncopation. I believe that you followed the rhythm too precisely, using straight feel, or swing, but not really taking the liberty to use play behind, after the beat, or just use several different note durations tied so they form a bit more complex rhythmical patterns. I'm not saying that this should be done intentionally, but taking the liberty to play something out of the beat can definitely be useful sometimes too, right next to the great rhythmical elements you did here.
Phrasing: Your phrasing was very good in this take. I like the fact you used both higher and lower register, and the soloing doesn't sound flat. It flows between the low and high very nicely, and I would say - securely. You have a good sense on were the licks are, and how to use them to your advantage. You could make the take a bit more interesting tho, by adding more minor scale usage, and specially bends within a minor scale. It sounded bluesy, and I like that, but breaking out of the pentatonic box should be your focus possibly.
Technique: Very nicely played take, I like it a lot. You have a good muting technique, specially with the picking hand, and this may explain often palm muting usage too. Vibrato and bends were also great, but I think you need to work more on bended vibrato, try to make it more even.
Sound: A good warm vintage-type sound that is really suitable for this kind of track.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Hobo_Blues_Collab_Final_Mix.mp3 ( 15.04MB ) Number of downloads: 331

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Apr 21 2010, 06:04 AM
Instructor
Piano Ballad Collaboration

Number of participants: 8

Attached File  Final_mix.mp3 ( 6.4MB ) Number of downloads: 237

These are some comments on your takes guys:

- Kaz: (0:00-0:35)

I actually really liked this take, but feel free to make another if you want,

The tone fits pretty well with the backing (Little gain, lots of definition). The octaves are a great detailed that I wouldn't have thought of. I'll probably use that for my take I'm kidding

Nice melodic part you created here. Well defined phrases, I like the pauses and sort of breathing you give to your phrases. Very pleasing to listen to. Your bendings are accurate and very expressive! Rhythmically spot on and I also liked the fact that you took some risk at the end by doing the faster scale and rocking bendings (reminded me of Slash!) and actually pulled it off.

I would only say that the very last note feels rushed. And also make sure you edit the last hit on the guitar
Thanks for participating!

- Empantheboy: (0:35- 1:09)

You went for the pentatonic route, it seems to really work for this backing. I will give it a go in my take,

For the type of solo you went for here it could be good to use more sustain in the patch you use, one way to achieve that is by using more gain or drive. This would help connect the phrases a little more. Although there's something cool about the simplicity of sound as well especially when you do the fourths on the higher two strings.

The EQ of the guitar seem a little filtered, make sure you "analyze" how the guitar feels to your ears by comparing sounds with famous bands that you like in the same style.

I think these types of collabs are a great exercise to improve on your rhythmic sense. What I notice in your take is that some of the phrases sound really natural and go along with the music, but some others feel rushed, so there's no consistency, and that's the next step to make your playing really sound professional. I guess what you need to do is make that extra effort to really pay attention to every phrase and note that's coming and be in the moment when you are playing and forget about the plans and theory, but this must be done after you have rehearsed it very well and understand what you are going to do.

But don't get me wrong, it's a very good take in general!

- Zen: (1:09-1:44)

Very nice melodic start using simple notes then moving on to the slides and bends. Your melody is very easy to understand and transmits a nice feeling!
The pentatonic part gives it a nice twist, and the ending is a great musical cadence that you intuitively nailed.

You have good timing and sense of melody which can be of a lot of use when writing or improvising!

Your tone is good for this backing in my opinion. It’s harsh but in a cool way. Not too much so that it can’t be listened to easily but enough.

- Guitarrero: (1:44-2:19)

I like the slow paced feel and calmness you have going here. You are using the right scale and I think you are using its degrees right because it doesn’t feel forced.

I can feel the intention you are going for in this solo. Your stops and slow scales can be very expressive, but I think you could be more precise in your phrases, meaning that you don’t hesitate when you are going to start a phrase and just go ahead with it, because it can definitely come through the music recorded. Pay attention to the long notes, when you stay on longer notes sometimes it’s a good idea to use vibrato or thrills.

I know it’s cool to move outside the beat a little bit but when you do that it has to be very clear and easily recognized, I can feel it’s not too clear yet.

- Karlss (2:19-2:54)

You have a clear concept about what scales should be used in general. Try to work on individual phrases that go one after the other. Don’t think of the solo as a long 30 seconds piece of music, but start doing smaller phrases that you would then put together. Sometimes it’s helpful to first imagine one phrase in your head before even playing. Of course, you have to have a decent knowledge of scales and a decent sense of ear to do this.

The tone you used has a lot of unwanted noise in it, maybe due to the amount of gain that you have and also the lack of a noise gate. Or maybe the guitar has the noise somewhere.

- Deleted: (2:54-3:29)

Very nice sense of melody! Yeah, I noticed the Bohemian rhapsody bit, it fits nicely,

I like the way you used the pentatonic scale over the backing. Gives it a nice expressive rocking sound to it. I like the use of blues licks, they make sense and also the ending really feels like you had a direction to reach those higher notes.

Make sure you tune your guitar before recording!! That may take care of the out of tune bendings and long notes.

I think the connecting space between phrases feels a little disjointed, by this I mean you start every phrase nicely and on tempo but then you kind of worry about the next phrase and kind of stop suddenly before starting the next. I believe this is due to the fact that you expect to start the next phrase on time and perfectly, or maybe you have the solo divided in short bits and pieces, you could make them longer.

You can make these spaces a little deorganized and not strict in timing (for instance changing suddenly of rhythm figures, from 8th notes to triplets, from quarter notes to 16th notes, etc), that would help a lot on the overall direction of it.

- Maharzan: (3:29 - 4:04)

Great take! (Your video take is much better than the one on the final mix by the way) To start off, your tone is very nice. No sharp edges, very easy on the ears and well-rounded. The way you grab the guitar and your posture is that of a pro-guitarist, way to go!

I can really tell every phrase from the other and the way it builds up until the end is really interesting and musical. The use of your scales in a non-linear fashion gives the solo a very musical vibe that can be enjoyed freely and that is a great quality on a musician.

- Daniel Realpe (4:04 - end)

I started composing my solo by listening to the backing track on itself for about 4-5 times. Then I heard the beginning in my head and I when for that little starting phrase on the guitar. And from then on I pretty much took the ending of every little musical gesture and imagined the next and then tried to play it. But sometimes I just improvised and left that little bit just as it was.

I didn’t really give too much thought but did go for good takes.

The Eb major scale was used mainly and also a Cm arpeggio in one part, but nothing else really. Of course must of the notes on those scales where reached with bends which makes it sound a little outside.

The tone is a Line 6 octone amp with a random chorus found on the Pod X3.

- Original thread can be found here

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
May 31 2010, 03:53 PM
Instructor
PLUSHED ROCK COLLAB

No. of participants: 8 (2 video entries)

Attached File  FINAL_MIX_Plushed_rock_collab.mp3 ( 8.35MB ) Number of downloads: 264

* Here are some comments I made on your takes, and mine:

- Gitarrero: (0:00-0:47)

I really liked your take,

The tone goes really well with the backing, the flanger gives it a nice rocking touch,

The slow part and that bending goes along really well,

Tapped part is kind of out of context but what the heck, imo

I think in your head you have the same phrase start everytime, you wait one pulse and then start playing, it could be a good idea to vary this and for instance start playing over the first pulse of the bar, or even wait longer, but make it a little more varied,

thanks for taking part!

- NoSkill (0:47-1:32)

Man, really cool take! the video is great!

That long note in the quiet part struck a cord inside of me, no kidding, reminded me of Guns n Roses or something...

I think your overall composition makes a lot of sense, simple, fun, nice tone, relaxing...

It's a great expression of what you had inside at the time,

I guess that's all I'm saying,

Thank you for participating!

- Zen (1:32-2:15)

Nice Take! The video looks GREAT!

You did a good job defining the phrases in sections that are easy understandable.

I like the way you mixed it, the stereo effect on the guitar makes it sound very full.

I think there's a slight issue with the intonation. Maybe the guitar was out of tune just a bit. Or maybe it's a problem in the bendings, just make sure you are conscious of that.

The arpeggio part near the end feels a little forced in there. I guess the phrase they say about not using everything you know in one solo has to do with that. I mean, it's cool to use whatever you want, but listen to the overall music direction and follow it, sometimes using different techniques we might interrupt that nice flow in the music.

Thank you for participating Zen!

- Thefireball (2:15-3:00)

Nice use of artificial harmonics. The whole tone bendings arre in perfect tune. I think the half-tone ones are a little off.

I think in general you are not 100% certain of where the bends needed to go and I think this is due to the thought of associating bendings with the “feeling” in a solo, which in most cases it’s true. My point is that even though it’s true we still have to be as precise on the tuning as if we were doing alt. picking or something like that.

I loved the blues lick. Timing has to be treated in the same way. It must be precise even when it’s supposed to be off. It’s got to be precisely off, if you know what I mean.

- Joe (3:00-3:44)

I like the tone! It’s very dark and bassy, but it makes it very smooth to the ears.
The contrast you made between the beginning and soft part it’s well thought of, you are using your musical sensitivity here and that’s the point, at least that’s what I tried to do on my take.

Nice take!

Thanks for taking part!

- Kaznie (3:44-4:29)

Nice rock tone! The beginning makes a lot of sense, it kind of has that U2 vibe to it. The bending it’s very well executed.
I think you moved out of the key a little too much during the slow part, be aware of that.

Notice that all your phrases are starting almost identically, just the fact that you aware of this will start to add some variation in your playing. You can makes longer phrases, start on different beats of the bar (on the beat, off beat, wait 2 pulses, etc.) But I think in general, thinking in longer phrases will help on this.

Just as an exercise try and make a vocal melody before even playing anything, a long one. Rehearse it as if you were playing it and sing it along the backing track (Any backing) you’ll see that the instrument itself sometimes can limit you. (This last part about vocal melodies is a recommendation for everyone, in case you guys read this)

- JamesT (4:29-5:13)

I like the tone although it sounds a little nasal. I think it cuts through the mix really good, it seems to have a wah turned on or something like that.
The pentatonic scales you chose to use are in a slightly different key which sounds somehow off, imo. One way I check if the scale works is improvising sometime over it and really listening to what I’m going for.

The ending has a nice melodic idea that fits in pretty good with the rhythm guitar.

Thank you for participating

- Daniel Realpe (5:13-END)

My approach to this solo came vocally first. The very first bit. And from then on I just kept on imagining what would come after that. After I came up with a complete solo I listened to it again and started erasing some parts and changing them.

I was gonna throw some shred in there but I think it would have messed up the nice flow I got going in the beginning of it.
I used a major scale and pentatonic which gave it that sort of “not-so-serious” character. Notice also the use of bendings in different directions and not only in the same way in different parts.

* Original thread can be found here

This post has been edited by Daniel Realpe: May 31 2010, 03:56 PM

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jun 5 2010, 05:15 PM
Instructor
Jimi Hendrix Meets John Frusciante Collab

First off i wanna thank everyone for the effort put on this one and the great takes!, i'm going to make the youtube video this week but for now i leave you with the final mix and the comments for each one of you guys!

1st take – JamesT

Very nice rhythmic take man, this is the only clean (and funky) take off all, i really like the way you just rocked the backing track, simple and effective ideas (just what i like), if something can be improved it is a little bit the timing of the phrases and the overall tone, you may wanna ad a compressor before the amp to even all the sounds a little, great take!

2nd take – gitarrrero

i like the whole tone/attitude of this take man, love the old school dive bombs and the wah sound, but i think you need to work on those chops man, are you currently on the MTP program?, i think you just need a lil push on effective technique and you can fly high, very nice ideas again, i specially love the sick riff at 1.27, you have a sick player inside you, just need to find the tools to express clearer.

3rd take – Berglmir

ATTITUDE and nice tones man, that describes your take, very fresh ideas, love that uneven vibrato for this kind of song, but don't get used to it cause a lot of dif music requires a precise vibrato, keep rocking on that new baby, i feel you are on the way to discover your own tone!

4th take – kaznie

very clean tone man, reminds of joe satriani playing some blues licks, i really love the last part, starting at 2.56 you really rocked my socks off, very passionate licks, nothing much to add here, very nice technique you got there, i feel you need a touch of confidence on your playing tho, but that's only my point of view, i really liked your take AND i liked the video too (and this last point is very important)

5th take – noskill

nice tone man!!, HUGE and tick, nice wah moves also, i think your take needed a little bit of more crazyness but it is very clean. Overall i don't know why i don't feel like this is your favorite kind of music i am right?, if you want we can do an mtp together, i feel there is a lot you useful (and easy) tips i can give you to master the crazy soloing of this guys.

6th take - Dennizzz119

i tried to restore your record sound, i made my best biggrin.gif !!, sounds crazy to me man, good licks over there, but i think you need some practice, your playing is not confident enough for now (or maybe it was the laptop mic doing his thing), you got the whole idea in your head, you need to learn how to release it!

Attached File  collabfinale.mp3 ( 8.03MB ) Number of downloads: 201

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 24 2010, 01:19 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
BASS COLLAB

Hello everyone. I pleased to bring you the final mix of the first bass collab at GMC. This has been very interesting and we should do these more often definitely! smile.gif

Here is the final mix : Attached File  Bass_Collab_Final_Mix.mp3 ( 4.1MB ) Number of downloads: 196

Guitarrero

Very cool take to open this collab. Your bass sound was very good for recording. All the notes were in place and the line itself is nice. Its a little bit "guitar like" but if you wanted to go for a riff oriented bass line that is a little pushed in front - you got it. I wish you developed it a little more in terms of dynamics as its sounding repetitive when played like this. You could start "shy" and easy and develop it into full riff once drums kick in full. Play softer in the beginning where drums are hitting the side stick. Once they kick in - then go to full drive. That would be more appropriate regarding dynamics. Only downside not regarding details I found was that you were not tight enough in time with the drums. You were rushing and only later on you get in the groove (which you can hear clearly from 0:24)

Great take overall! Hope you find these tips inspiring.
Thanks for joining this collab, hope to see you in next ones too!

NoSkill

Very raw sounding bass sound. Fender can be heard clearly wink.gif This was a well composed classic support bass line. I like the line and the fact that you tried to lock on with the kick drums. I also like the development of the line - its interesting. What I suggest for next time is to play even more tight with the drums as in this take you were rushing in front of the kick drum most of the time and that is so called - anti beat. You will find your bass pocket on the beat or slightly behind it. Just try to relax and be "late" on purpose. Also in licks you were having problems with getting all the notes out (and in time) due to fingerpicking. Try exercising different patterns and string skipping to get your right hand going on those changes. Generally this was a cool take, good job!

Kaznie_NL

Glad to have you in my first bass collab. This was pretty nice and interesting. Only downside is that you missed the progression sad.gif Backing track is playing Am-F-G and you were constantly outlining Am-G-F so that is the reason why bass doesn't sound good against the backing. Overall bass line is interesting. I like the fact you used roots more and didn't go for too many "outside notes". I would suggest concentrating on the listening part though as should be able to "hear" that notes you chose didn't go well with the chords. This is normal though, we all sometimes get concentrated on our part that we just forget to really listen to what others are doing... Thanks for participating in this one - hope to see you in future ones too!

Sonny_NL

Slightly lower level of bass recorded + missing some low end? How did you record it? Generally this was interesting idea for bass line but you had some timing issues. Try to lock in the groove with the drums. Listen to what the kick drum is playing and try to match it by playing root notes. That is the easiest and most effective approach to get in the groove and start building your bass line. If you are not soloing you want to concentrate on supporting chords played by other instruments. Notes that are most useful for that are chord tones (triads). Try to base you bass line around those notes and only after that - add scale notes, approach notes, licks etc...For the next collab I want you to take these ideas in and try to get in the groove better. I have an impression that you tried to go for something complicated and with bass its most often - simple is better smile.gif

Keep up the good work Sonny!

See you in my next collab! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jun 24 2010, 01:25 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jun 25 2010, 11:58 PM
Instructor
Nocturnal Ballad Collab

No. of participants: 18

Attached File  Nocturnal__FINAL_MIX.mp3 ( 15.95MB ) Number of downloads: 297

These are some comments I made on your takes:

- Todd: 0:00 – 0:38

The use of harmony resembles 80’s metal quite a lot, so I love it!
I think you have develop a good musical sense for this type of music which is reflected in your take. I can tell you have a great technique, I also like that a lot. You have a great sense of melody!

One thing I would suggest is to improve the intonation on this one because I can feel it’s a little out of tune.

Thank you for taking part Todd!

- Skenn: 0:38 – 1:18

I love the beginning! Very thoughtful? Reflective? Are you a sensitive guy? biggrin.gif
You preserved the original idea throughout which is great on a solo and gives it meaning, good job!

On the harmony, I would say, at the end the 4ths or 5ths seem to be a little outside from the overall idea. At the beginning it sounds good to me but in the latter part it’s when it goes outside a little, imo.

I think your tone goes really well with the music,

- Sirjamsalot: 1:18 – 1:57

I like the kind of rawness, visceral playing in your pentatonic run, I mean it! Don’t lose that! I mean it’s great to achieve a great technique but great feeling either happens or not, imo.

I like your tone, a little sharp but still not bright. There’s something about your take, I really liked it.
Make sure you edit the noise, or use a noise gate in your recordings.

- Keilnoth: 1:57 – 2:36

The feeling stands out in the simplicity of your take! Very expressive! I would say, thank you for that! The tone reminds me of a very classic sound, 70’sish?

The reiterative exposition of the same idea is a good thing in this example, imo. It gives it emphasis and makes it come out very expressive.

- Ruben: 2:36 – 3:15

You start off with a nice clear idea that I really enjoyed. Half way you kind of let lose some tension. I would suggest that you use other rhythmic figures to add variation to the take. Maybe some triplets, maybe silences, jazzy 8th notes, etc.

The tone sounds good to me, very sharp, rocking!

- Kepler: 3:15 – 3:54

The melodic idea that you develop throughout the solo is awesome! Man, I’ll just say: Great solo!
I can tell you put an effort on it and thought,
That tapped part! Proof that a simple idea can move one’s guts, hehehe

Thank you for taking part!

- James T: 3:54 – 4:33

Another great job! You guys did great. I really liked the fast ascending scale.

The overall melodic direction is clear and meaningful, your bendings have great feeling, you have a nice tone.

- Berglmir: 4:33 – 5:14

A very rocking tone! It stands out! I can picture you in front of 50.000 people doing this solo with a flying V or something, heheh
Nice harmonics! Nice bendings! Oh, the repeated blues lick! I loved it, and then the minor lick.

I would polish the ending it sounds kind of “too” improvised. Overall, a great solo!

- DenisM: 5:14 – 5:54

Nice use of that major 7th in the middle! Gives it that neo-classical side. Nice use of passing notes also, you took some risks here and got away with it! A really nice take!

You organized your ideas quite clearly, created silences and all, started phrases at great points rhythmically, nice job!

I love the smoothness of the tone.

- Arctic: 5:54 – 6:33

I love the tone! Very sweet, goes along pretty good! Nice idea to start with those cut phrases, it’s a nice preparation. The fast ascending scale needs to be a little cleaner. I think that’s 3notes per string? There are plenty of exercises and lessons you can use to better that.

It was a good idea to use it there, imo. Nice ending, rounds up the solo pretty nicely.

- Gitarrero: 6:33 – 7:13

You used a flangerized distortion on this one, props for taking that risk!

I like the way you make stops and make clear where each phrase starts and ends. I would’ve added a little more bending and vibrato. If you notice, there’s not much of that. Try getting more aggressive with those two techniques and you’ll see your playing starts to sound a lot more expressive.

- Keep Rocking: 7:13 – 7:51

Nice harmony at the beginning! You picked the right notes and it sounds quite rocking! The blues licks are a nice contrast and are well executed. You even used arpeggios at the end! Nice!

I love the contrast you created between parts using different techniques and scales,

I would say that the tone feels too filtered, it’s nice because it’s very clear but it could use more presence or brightness perhaps, although that’s a matter of tastes too,

- Kaznie: 7:51 – 8:31

I like the way your started out, very expressive. You exposed a very clear musical idea. When you do the faster scale it sounds a little off rhythm, so pay attention to those types of runs. But then when you do the really fast scale, it feels more on time, so I would say that you should focus on mid-tempos first.

The use of delay goes along pretty good with your solo, so nice choice, and your distortion is clear and crisp. I would say that you take the risk and use more vibrato and bendings once in a while, to add more expression to the overall feel because I feel there’s a lack of that.

Thank you for Participating!

- Empantheboy: 8:31 – 8:56

Very cool blues sound! And the overall feel is very sentimental, imo, which is great!
You took your time and treated the notes very gently.

You didn’t render the whole thing! It’s abruptly cut at the end, make sure you do that right on future recordings, I say that from experience, been there,

Thanks for taking part!

- Leedbreak: 8:56 – 9:35

I like the way you arranged your phrases, I can tell you had it clear in your head what direction you wanted to take.
A couple things: Your timing feels a little insecure and rushed, it’s better to use simpler ideas that are very clear than trying to fill the time with many notes,

The timbre of the guitar feels small, I don’t know if you went for it intentionally but my preference would’ve been a big, grandiose style type of sound.

- MigeZ: 9:35 – 10:13

Lots of feeling in this one! You took the risk doing vibratos and bendings! Your take kind of has a direct-in your face attitude which I enjoyed very much. What kind of mood were you in when recording? hehe

I can tell you just let loose on this one! The tone is also very crisp and it stands out,

- JVM: 10:13 – 10:51

I read about your circumstances during the recording, which is quite obvious in the timbre, hehe
Let’s hope for next one you are able to run your guitar through an amp,

You went for the rocking route and then did a little minor reflective part, that can be a good contrast. I would say that you need to make it more clear where you are ending a phrase and when you are starting a new one. This is related to timing, be very conscious of timing in music!

- Daniel Realpe: 10:51 - end

I took a good hour to make this solo. I started with a very melodic idea but then I couldn’t stop from going the shred route, I made use of the tapped descending scale in the style of Steve Vai. Nevertheless I tried to make it very clear where every part fitted in within the solo. I even used a little harmony and a blues lick at the end.

I took the notes that were being played in the chords and built upon them!
I screwed up at the end so I kind of made fun of it with the bar, I just left because it felt very spontaneous.

Thank you everyone for being part of this collab, I had a lot fun doing it and listening and commenting on your takes! smile.gif

Original thread can be found here

This post has been edited by Daniel Realpe: Jun 26 2010, 12:04 AM

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 31 2010, 06:29 PM
Instructor
Freedom to Fly Collab

Attached File  Freedom_to_fly_Final_Mix.mp3 ( 13.56MB ) Number of downloads: 220

Marek's take:

Attached File  marek.mp3 ( 1.14MB ) Number of downloads: 181

No. of participants: 12

* Here are some comments I made on your takes guys! Thank you very much for taking part:

- Berglmir: 0:00 – 0:40

I like the tone you used, it’s got a lot of body and it stands out pretty good. I think you could improve the timing where you put your phrases. I mean, make it more clear as if it’s very obvious where you are going to put them.

I had to learn this because I wanted to experiment to much to the point where listeners didn’t know what was going on, and that is not a good thing.

Thank you for that take!

- Uncreator: 0:40 – 1:48

Nice mix of clean and dirty channels. The first part is quite melodic and expressive. I liked the slides at the end. I like how on the distorted part you re-established the first idea from the clean part, and it’s quite simple.

Great bends! I think there’s a slight issue in the intonation of the long notes if you may notice,

I would have loved to see an ending to it, wink.gif

- Alex Lewis: 1:48 – 2:24

Aggressive from the start! I loved your pentatonic phrasing and aggressive approach. I can tell you have experience playing this type of music. A great take! I loved the harmony with two strings at the end.

- Rob: 2:24 – 3:32

Your tone is precise for this. Your phrasing and dexterity are quite good! I really liked the choice of notes in your take. The first half is noticeable better than the second, but I must say both are great. The arpeggio part could be even more precise. You could even utilize other techniques such as string skipping or tapping to hit the same notes.

Man, the ending was awesome!

- Maharzan: 3:32 – 4:08

Quite relaxed, chilled take. Loved it! You took your time and had patience to present your ideas. I can feel the expression in it. The ending could have been a little better imo.

(I know the video the version is the one with the intonation issues, just wanted to point out that the one on the final mix is much better regarding that aspect)

- JKB: 4:08 – 5:17

The tone fits in pretty well with this 80’s backing track! You went for the long route, that’s good, more time to present your stuff. I liked the melodic twists you made, somehow I can sense security coming off you, which is great.

You just let yourself go off and recorded it, a very nice take! Slight intonation issues here and there.

Thank you!

- Gitarrero: 5:17 – 6:27

The tone doesn’t serve the style too much. I think you could have used more mids, more body to it. If you are using emulator, emulate a bigger amp. I would recommend to use more jumps in the scale and not only going on consecutive steps like this:
(Scale steps)1-2-3-4-3-4-5-6-5-4-3-4-5-6-7

But rather you could do: (Scale steps) 1-3 -4-1-7-2-5-4-3-7-6-5-2-3-6

I liked that you riffed at the end!

Thank you for your take!

- Kaz: 6:27 – 7:03

Nice pause at the beginning, creates anticipation. Nice doubleing in octaves! The faster part could’ve been a little more in time, it feels a little too slow. I liked the end of the take, very climatic.

- Fireball: 7:03 – 8:12

I can see what phrasing you were trying to develop. It’s a good attempt to try and make a different melodic than conventional. The thing is you are using degrees that will sound common for instance: 1 and 3, then 2 and 4. You could use bigger leaps like 1-5, or 1-6 and experiment with those.

The speed picking part feels too outside of the time, you could do exact 16th notes or triplets.

The wah reminds me of Kirk Hammet. I think it sounds quite good, what wah is it?

- Animal: 8:12 – 8:48

A very melodic take. Not many risks taken but you delivered a nice emotional phrase. The tone is quite full and digestable. Reminds a bit of Joe Satriani. You could take more risks next time.

- Daniel Realpe: 8:48 - end

As you may have noticed this take is based on “Tears of Sahara” by Tony MacAlpine. Very melodic and sequential phrasing. Quite simple but effective way of expressing a musical idea.

The doubling of guitars was done by thirds as it was typically done in the 80’s. A nice effect is achieved, and add the power chords underneath and you have 80’s style shred!

Thanks everyone for taking part! I had a lot of fun on it, I hope to see you on the next one!

- Marek:

I liked the slow melodic approach you did to your solo. You took your time with long notes and your bends are spot on, slow but in tune. I would say that you could do the vibratos more aggresive, go out of the central tone more but quickly.

I loved the pentatonic lick on the second part! I would've liked more development on that idea! After it you kind of suddenly stopped, it would have been a great way to build climax.

In the last scale, I think the notes you chose are kind of off. And pay attention to that last vibrato, it's intonation it's off.

Overall I think the idea is great, but it could have been presented better, more polished.

Thank you for presenting it!

This post has been edited by Daniel Realpe: Jul 31 2010, 06:39 PM

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Aug 31 2010, 06:21 PM
Instructor
The Led Piper Collab

No. of participants: 8

Attached File  Final_Mix___led_piper.mp3 ( 7.43MB ) Number of downloads: 190

Here are some comments on your takes guys:

- Kaz: 0:00 – 0:39

Hi Kaz. I enjoyed your take. You sound very free to express yourself on the guitar. I loved the repeated patterns you did towards the end. Also, I loved the way you go out of the beat and come back. The tone you used fits perfectly, imo. The delay is perfectly applied. I would call this a genuine solo. Thanks for taking part!

- Marek: 0:39 – 1:16

Hi Marek. Glad to have you on board. The first thing I will mention is that you could improve the bends on the first phrase.
For this I think you need to pay good attention to the tuning, meaning, it’s a listening ability, not much a technical one, because later on the take you did good bends. You have to associate the pressure you put in a bend when it’s in tune and have your fingers memorize it.

I liked the intention you had when building phrases. The end really felt climatic. I also liked that you used a wide range in the guitar, using lower and high notes.

Careful with the noise at the end. Remove those clipping them and fading out in your software.
Thanks for taking part!

- K1R: 1:16 – 1:58

Hi K1R. The only one using a clean tone, nice! You could use a compressor to even up the notes so that all notes sound more even volume wise.
Nice that you moved higher on the neck and not just used the same range.

I would encourage you to use more harmonic material, meaning, play two strings sometimes, open strings, chords, and not just one string at a time. I say this because of your choice of using a clean tone. The use of many strings sometimes goes pretty good with clean tones.

I would say that you could hit the strings harder and maybe hit the same note many times in a row to add expression. In other words be more aggressive.

Thank you for sharing your take!

- Fireball: 1:58 – 2:36

Hi Fireball. You displayed good use of many techniques in your take, that’s a good risk that you took, nice!

Sounds aggressive! I would put a little more mids in your tone so it blends more with this backing.

I liked how you mixed that major phrase near the end, good stuff. I think you could work on constructing phrases very well put on the beat so that they are more clear, meaning, the listener obviously knows what’s going on. I know it may sound a little disappointing but trust me it’s a good advice. I took it once.

- Gitarrero: 2:36 – 3:16

Hi Gitarrero. First impression is: “old fashioned” which is great for this backing. I think you could use more vibrato, more aggressive vibratos. The harmony you did between guitar and keys at the end does give the take a nice musical touch.

I think your tone sounds good with the backing, it stands out and it’s clear.

That last note at the end, naked all by itself didn’t cut it for me, heheh.

Thanks for sharing your take!

- Jitty: 3:16 – 3:57

Hi Jitty. You have great dexterity in your fingers! I can tell. Ok, first thing is, use a cab emulation when recording. I can notice right away that your tone comes from connecting the guitar directly with no cab emulation. That really changes the tone a lot!

I like the thrills you did in this solo, reminds me a bit of Santana.

Nice descending 8th note pentatonic run, very rockfish (if that’s a word). I would’ve liked more vibrato maybe.

Thanks for taking part!

- MigeZ: 3:57 – 4:37

Hi MigeZ. I only have to say that it’s a great take! The tone sounds pleasant to me. The tappings are spot on and on time. I also heard some really tight vibratos in there that I really enjoyed.
I can tell that you improvised much of the take but it sounds confident and fluent so good job!

Maybe a good thing you could try is to use more jumps in the scales you use and not only consecutive steps like: 1-2-3-4-5-2-3-4-5-6….so on, but rather: 1-6-1-3-4-5-1-7-5-3-…for example

- Daniel Realpe: 4:37 - ending

As you can see I added a video of my take.

This was my first take on it! And it was totally improvised. I used an effect that kind of emulates an octave higher all the time, I’m not sure what is it exactly but if anyone wants to know I’ll look into it.

I only used the Am scale and played it safe. I kind of experimented a bit on the rhythm part which gave it an interesting twist. I let some notes ring long because the tone pretty much sounds like a synth and that compensates so.

Thank you very much guys for sharing your takes! It was quite fun to listen to them all!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 5 2010, 04:21 AM
Instructor
Marek
summer ballad collab:

rhythm: very good rhythmic figures, and good use of different note durations.Except couple of misplased notes here and there nothing to add.
Phrasing: good intro with nice development, and good phrases is general. I would advise that you use bit more arpeggios in your playing next to the bends and minor/pentatonic scale.
Technique: main thing you should focus on is the precision when bending. You should definiteyl spend more time with vibrato too, since this is extremelly important effect to add to any longer note in your playing. Everything else was very nice, and besides some note bleeds here and there it was all good.
Sound: a bit piercing and mid scooped sound can be heard here. Space is a bit too much, and so is distortion. Also, in the mix with the backing there is large ammount of clipping, and the sound is sucked in, probably due to overuse of compression.

K1R

rhythm: good use of existing rhythmic figures, but the main concern for you should be rehearsing with as much as different note durations possible. This will create much needed diversity in your rhythmical phrases. Also, it is not a bad idea to let some note sustain a bit. Small pauses are just as important as eveeything else, specially on some strong note or importanat part of the song.
phrasing: good use of pentatonic minor and minor scale. When you are using these scales, try to rehearse as much as different combinations of notes/lines possible. Learning chords can help you as well, since you learn where the strong notes are, so you can combine arpeggios with your current licks and scales
technique: two most important things that you should work on are bending and vibrato. Nothing more to add, but this should be next on your list.
sound: The sound is good, but I have a feeling you need more distortion. It would sound better and create more smoother sound.

Chris:

rhythm: Very nice figures that don’t all start on the downbeat, which is cool. Great use of longer notes to accent the suspense. Also, there was some good contrast between trilled notes and longer ones. One note – the ending could have a bit more balanced use of notes. It starts fast, and it ends sharply with couple of much longer notes.
phrasing: very good use of arpeggiated lines to follow the chords, although I have a feeling that you are in a bit of a search of those strong notes here and there.
technique: Great technique with all the elements properly executed. One critique I can give is the muting control on faster bits. Everything else is great.
sound: Very good sound, with good cut and good reverb. Delay is a bit too much as the main notes are loosing definition slightly, but it’s not too bad.

Maharzan:

rhythm: I like the fact that you used several different note durations, and that longer notes are in the beginning and shorter ones in the end of the take. However, I feel that there is some kind of a faster passage missing. At least one. On the other hand, the whole solo has a nice sense to it, so that is a positive side. My advice is to start doing some faster passages, as your note use is quite good, and you will find a good use for those passages.
phrasing: I like the way you phrase, you give your lines a smooth flow, and they are all nicely connected. Important thing for you to do with this sort of talent is to start learning different scales, arpeggios and various lines that you can incorporate into your playing to create versatility.
technique: Correct use of vibrato, and nice use of bends. I also like your tone control and muting. If I would have to suggest one thing to practice it’s vibrato and bends – it needs to be more controlled.
sound: Sound is good, smooth, but it lacks a bit of presence. Try boosting the upper range a bit.

JamesT:

rhythm: great rhythmic phrases, that have a good flow with the backing. Pauses are implemented as well, in a excellent way. In the second part of the song, there should be more of them, but it is pretty effective like it is.
Phrasing: great phrasing throughout the solo, specially in the first part! Sounds excellent. I love that kind of bluesy phrasing. In the second part, you sort of let go and played a bit loose and faster, which is also great, but I have a feeling that last part is a bit undefined. If you came back to the first theme somewhere in there, it would be awesome, to round up the solo.
Technique: Great techniques, lots of stuff displayed. Cool bending and good vibrato. Tone control is also pretty good, although you should work on cutting down uncessecary noise from the guitar./strings.
sound:Sounds is great, smooth, a bit harsh, but not in a bad way. It cuts great, very cool.

kaz

Rhythm: very good rhythm figures, I like how they have a smooth natural flow with the backing, specially the ones in the second part. One thing I didn't like is the big pause in the middle. It should have something there, like big slide, pick string slide, or sustained note.
phrasing:Great phrases throughout the solo, and good arpeggio licks here and there. Main thing I can recommend. is not to use arpeggios in so obvious way, and if you are dooing up^down arp, it should be faster. One more important thing is that there were quite a few missed notes, so when doing faster sequences, always make sure you are within the pattern properly.
technique: very good execution, mostly problems with keeping the tone consitent for faster licks, and with vibrato and bends.
sound:nice sound, a bit too harsh, but good and smooth. The main problem in this case is not the sound itself, but the fingers and proper tone control.

Guitarerro:

rhythm: nicely played, but I believe you lack some faster note passages here and there. Most of phrases contain same rhythmical figures, which makes the phrases sound repetitive. Changing the beginning of the phrase to some other place in the bar, or structure of the phrase will fix that.
phrasing: Good melodic passages, there were some missplased notes but it is OK. I think there is more practicing to be done on arpeggios and various scale lines which will improve your versatility.
technique: nicely played, but with little use of dynamics, everythign sounds a bit flat. Another important thing is bending and vibrato – it needs to be more even and precise.
sound: Sound is decent, but there is some clipping here and there. Distortion can be better and there can be some reverb or delay added too.

Jitty

rhythm: It’s good thing that you used several different note durations, but timing was poor in this take. You have to get into the groove and practice more with the metronome. Try tapping your foot while you play, and lock yourself to important beat elements: kick and snare.
phrasing: Your phrasing was decent in this take, and I should suggest that if you want to upgrade your improvising you should work more on arpeggios and knowing where the strong notes are.
technique: There are several important things that you should focus on when practicing: bending, vibrato, sync between hands, and muting.
sound: Too much and buzzy distortion that sounds like there is no cab simulation. Adding some cab simulator on top would fix the problem.

thefireball

rhythm: good use of longer notes, but poor use of faster note passages. Also, timing is not right, and you need to work on that too.
phrasing: More work on arpeggios will help you figure our where the strong notes are and try to use them during the take while following the chords. Also you lack fluidness in your playing, need to work on connecting the phrases better with slides or other techniques.
technique: more work on bends, vibrato, and alternate picking precision will help you to achieve better tone control.
sound: Tone can be better. It has some kind of noise throughout the take, and distortion is too harsh. Using a cab simulator over everything can help smooth out things.

MigeZ

rhythm: Very nice rhythmic figures, but a bit unbalanced and “glued together”. Need to connect them better, specially the first and second part transition. However, I think you manage to find a good balance naturally, which is a good thing.
phrasing: Phrasing was quite good in your take, there were some thematic approaches in the first part, and it would be cool to repeat that theme later on too. The second part is very good, and has some great melodic lines.
technique: Technique is quite good muting. I would however say that you need better precision on those faster parts. Tone control is a bit on a weak side too, not all notes sound even and nice.
sound: Sound is great, very smooth and cool sounding with big space added. The second part is a bit too louder than the first one, but this can be fixed if you used volume knob instead of volume fader in post production.

Mudbone

rhythm: good rhythmic figures in the first part, while in the second one you had some timing issues. Try focusing more on stronger parts of the beat/drum. Every note should be more in place, than out of place. Also, balancing longer and shorter notes is very important too.
phrasing: biggest problem in this take IMO. You need to spend more time on music theory, and analyzing what chords are belonging to what scale, so you can use that scale. You missed out a key here, so that should be on the priority list.
technique: More work on bends, vibrato, and left hand fretting.
sound: A bit harsh and dry sound with enough distortion but not enough smoothness. Try adding a cab simulation on top of everything and cutting down the upper range.

FINAL MIX link:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&id=21852

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 5 2010, 07:11 AM
GMC:er
CANONICAL DECOMPOSITION COLLAB

Final mix
Attached File  Canonical_Decomposition_GMC_Collab_Final_1.mp3 ( 5.03MB ) Number of downloads: 224

Solo Mix Featuring Gitarrero ( I left one of the takes out by accident to so I did a mini mix just for it )
Attached File  gitarerro_mix.mp3 ( 940.74K ) Number of downloads: 174

No. of participants: 7

Todd Simpson 0:00-0:21
- I took the first slot to try to set up the harmony/melody for the piece. It's a harmonized lead in B - Minor bascially. I tried to add sweet and dirty spots so to speak, using bends opposing shred bits. Worked out nice

Daniel Realpe 00:22-00:43
- First off, Daniel is a MONSTER player. As everyone knows his fingers get moving so quick they actually create a mini tornado on the strings. Seriously this was a great take. I love the use of FX on the first bit and then the use of pedal point, alternate picking, you name it, on the rest. A mini clinic on how to shred til your guitar melts. I really liked the blitzkrieg vibe to the solo that gave it a dangerous kind of feel like a train almost heading off the tracks, yet still sounding purposeful and on target. A great combo.

Chris Evans 00:44-01:06
- Wow! I"ve not heard you play before Chris and I must say I'm blown away. Your effortless technique and speed during your solo is well balanced by your emotive vibrato and use of thoughtful phrasing. I really liked the sense of structure and form in your solo as well. It sounds thought out, yet still retains an improvisational quality that gives it an edge. Nice.

SirJamsALot 01:06-01:28
- Well done Sir! It's obvious you have been putting time in the wood shed so to speak and have been practicing new techniques. I'm thrilled to see shades of some of the things we've covered in our saturday lessons in your playing. Your alternate picking is out in front and dead on, as well as your use of pedal point via open string per one of our previous lessons. I also liked the sweep picking sounding chop that you played at the end. Creates a nice coda for the solo which is structured much like an etude, very similar to some of the structures we've been working through on Saturdays. You've got a great sense of rythm and it shows in your percussive playing style, keep it up! Well done!

Zen 01:27-01:49
- Very cool chops in the solo. I like how you played against the speed of the piece and spent a good bit of time focused on phrasing. It's a different approach that makes it stand out and sound great. The choice of notes and bends is great and critical in that if you would have picked a wrong note, or bent to far or to shallow it would have not sounded good at all. But your choices were dead on and each bend was pretty much perfect. So it's great to see you taking risks with your playing and pulling it off so well. You RAWK!

Alex 01:47-02:10
-Killer chops and riffing here. One of the licks sounds similar to an Iron maiden chop ALA Adrian Smith and it works great. The way you flow in and out of each lick is quite impressive. Chaining chops together is a big hurdle in soloing and growing as a player and you seem to a great handle on it. I also liked the breadth of techniques employed. In the space of just a few bars you managed to do a mini tour of an entire buffet of chops and licks. All put together with a great ear for the musicality and timing involved in playing with and against the beat and backing.

Gitarrero - Second Post Featuring Gitarrero
-Some really good playing here. The chops are in time and in key. Some of the bends are just a bit shy or beyond key but this is something that just comes with experience. Good picking technique here as well. I like your percussive style and approach. I look forward to working with you in the future, hopefully during our Saturday lessons as you grow as a musician.

LINK TO ORIGINAL COLLAB POST
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=35727

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Sep 28 2010, 03:29 PM
Instructor
Hotel Collab

Attached File  FINAL_MIX4.mp3 ( 6.6MB ) Number of downloads: 305

No. of particpants: 5

* Great takes from everyone! I left some comments about them right here:

- K1R

There’s GREAT improvement in your playing from last time! But I would still encourage you to play more certain of every phrase and with more confidence.

For this you need to be really sure of what you are going to do before you record, meaning, the starting and finishing points of every phrase, intention, etc.

The main problem is the starting point of each phrase. It seems as it took you by surprise almost everytime.
The tone is cool, you can always add a little delay and reverb to it to make it sound more pro.

Thanks for taking part.

- Gitarrero

I liked your simple melodic approach with which you started. Good and clear ideas put together. You took your time there.
I would focus on the timing on the repeated patterns. Eventhough these are repeated, it would seem their rhythm should matter that much, but the opposite is the case. Your timing must be VERY precise when doing things that repeat because they make the pulse stand out a lot.

The tone is a little too raw to me. You can add more EQ or Compression to make it fatter, and even some reverb and delay.

- Wee

Nice bend at the beginning arriving at the actual note from an outside note, very expressive. You have a nice idea of your phrases in the head which I can tell. I would make the vibratos more aggressive and the bends.

You undertood very well the idea behind the harmony and made good use of pentatonic and minor scales in the context.
The tone seems a little too harsh, maybe more mids would help, and even try some reverb or more if it has any. Or even some delay.

- Kaz

I remember you were not too happy with this take. That happens sometimes, but it was good that you submitted anyway. That happened to me when I started recording mine. What I did was too put together small chunks which is a lot easier to accept instead of the perfect whole take.

I like your tone, somehow reminds me of Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden.

One thing I really liked is the bend towards the end where one can hear both strings ring. Just wanted to point that out.

Thank you for taking part.

- Daniel Realpe

My take ended up being a compilation of improvised licks and small phrases. I mainly used the harmonic minor scale combined with some pentatonic licks using a lot of bends, slides, vibratos and even some pauses.

The tone comes from the plug in Revalver MK III from Peavey using a Marshall emulation only.

Thanks very much for having taken part on this collab guys!

This post has been edited by Daniel Realpe: Sep 28 2010, 03:30 PM

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 1 2010, 11:09 PM
Instructor
NEW ACDC COLLABORATION:

Hey everybody, welcome to the final mix and comments topic for the new acdc collaboration! smile.gif

collab type: audio with text comments
backing: acdc type R&R backing
tempo: 120 bpm
key: A
participants: 9

Marek Rojewski:

RHYTHM: As far as rhythm goes, I think you are using several note durations very well in your playing. Transfers from longer notes to shorter ones, and using even quarter triplets is what I really loved in your playing. The solo sounds very balanced with this diversity. However, I must point out that you should focus a lot more on the faster bits. Although you seem to be aware on what notes and groups of notes you use, and where you have to land them, the execution is rather poor on some of the faster bits. But this is not a big problem. I believe that with some few weeks practice, you can tighten up this to a whole new level - just have to sit and do all the runs really really slow. For rhythm I give you a bit lower grade 9, and sloppy parts will be graded through technique.
PHRASING: Phrasing is very good as well, and you are using minor pentatonic and minor scale very well. I like the way you are jumping all over the neck - this is a clear sign of knowing the whole pattern all over the neck. Very important for a player to know this. Your call & response phrasing is very good, and you are using pairs of phrases very good. I think using blues scale here, and using more of the minor scale notes can help. I also believe that now (as you are familiar with all these patterns), you can try to mix some modes as well and introduce modal playing here (for example instead of using A minor, you can try to use A dorian or A phrygian notes). As you know, these three modes have all the same notes, only one note is different from mode to mode. Try to use those notes in order to make it more interesting. For phrasing I will give you 8.
TECHNIQUE: Technique is good, but needs some polishing. Bending and vibrato are good, and you are on the right track there. Making it stronger is a must. They are precise tho. Also, as I mentioned, those faster bits need more practicing, and you have to do it ultra slow in order to be precise. Then, the notes will naturally fall into place on faster tempos as well. For technique (primarily the sloppy bits), I will give you 6, so more work on that.
SOUND: Sound is great, nice and smooth and all you have to work on is a bit of tone control. This is also being achieved through practicing. Make sure every note is being played the same as the one before (with the pick), and make sure all notes sound even. Every note you pick has to have proper weight. You have a good instrument and you can make your high E string have thick tone, just have to practice it until you can pull out that tone from the pick and fingers. For sound, I give you 9.

Jitty

RHYTHM: Great use of long notes within the solo. I like the long bends, and they give a good balance. I would like to hear some longer bends in the second part of the solo as well to break down the repetitive patterns that you used there. Timing on those could be more tighter as well. Nevertheless, I believe the rhythmical balance was quite good, and it sounded very nice. If you watch about these things that I suggested, I believe it will be even better. For rhythm, I give a grade 7.5, because of the lack of tightness and longer notes in the second part.
PHRASING: Very good phrases used throughout the solo. I think your scale usage is pretty good, although you seem to keep yourself a bit locked in the boxes. I advise that you practice slides and connecting the boxes more. Your call & response phrasing is very good, I think you have a good feel for that, and one reason why this is true is because you have a good ear. Using the same phrases and landing on different notes at the ends of them is very good first step. I think you are heading in the right direction with these, and you should definitely spend more time in developing this skill that you have even further. It will definitely pay out. For phrasing I give you 8, because I would like to hear more scales involved, like blues scale, or some modal playing. But for what you used, it was great.
TECHNIQUE: Very good bends, very precise and good tone control on them. Muting is also good, but I would say you need to rehearse the faster bits just a bit more to make them tighter. Using vibrato a bit more couldn't hurt either, and judging by your bends, I believe you are quite capable of doing this, just don't overdo with the speed of vibrato. For techniques used here, I will give you 8.
SOUND: Sound was OK, and I believe you managed to make it better with your fingers. Try adding more mids, and make it sound a bit less buzzy. I think it can sound very good. For the actual sound that you made, I will give a bit lower grade because of the buzziness, 6.5

Marc_Maiden

RHYTHM: As far as rhythm goes, I believe you used a lot of different notes here, going from longer notes, to some extreme runs. This is great, and it shows that you are capable of using all kinds of note durations. I like the way you played around the beat, and showed good syncopation abilities as well. One thing that is lacking is fluidness in those rhythmical phrases. I believe that they are a bit too scattered. There are some problems with timing on some licks as well, so I would suggest simplifying them a bit just to get them nicely synced with the tempo. For rhythm I give a grade 7.
PHRASING: There is evidently some very cool licks and passages in your vocabulary, and scale usage is good as well. I would say phrasing is your weakest point at the moment, because there is evident lack of structured phrases in this take. I would spend more time on practicing arpeggios and chords. SInce your scalar knowledge is very good, there should be a balance between scales and chords. Learning more chords and strong notes will help you organize those licks and runs nicely throughout the solo. For phrasing I give 6, because you need to let that knowledge settle down a bit, and use it in correlation with the harmony.
TECHNIQUE: Here is where you shine, and I can definitely here some big improvements in your playing. There are some great fast runs, cool pinched harmonic usage, bending is good, and vibrato as well. So, as far as pure technical ability goes, I think you are well skilled, and now it's time to put those skills in proper usage by developing ear for harmony and strong notes. For technique skill I give grade of 9.3
SOUND: Sound is very good, although the guitar sound is a bit louder than the backing. It doesn't mind me, but when recording a solo, it would be proper to mix it with the music as if you are playing within the band, not in front of it. The distortion amount and mids are just right, and you are keeping the tone fairly nicely. I would suggest more work on precision and muting to make it even better. For sound I give 8.7

Frej10:

RHYTHM: Very nice rhythmical phrases. I enjoyed listening to it, because I think you managed to keep it interesting. One thing I must comment is timing. You should try to lock more on the drums, and make it tighter, it seems that you rushed here and there. But, I believe your rhythmic skills are quite good, and you have a skill of making it interesting while using some very similar note durations. It has a nice progression towards the end, with those shorter notes, and in general it is well balanced. On thing that you could use are some faster runs, but you handle well what you do. For rhythm, I will give an 8.
PHRASING: Some very interesting sliding phrases, and well used repetitive licks. You are again using well what you know, and it is mostly pentatonic scale. For this kind of solo that is enough, but I do feel some other diatonic notes could be implemented, or perhaps blues scale notes. They would add a nice touch. One thing that you should spend more time on are arpeggios and chords, to acquire a sense for strong notes, since they can guide you through the solo nicely and be your focal points relative to the harmony in the backing. This could tie your licks together, and tie them with the chords better. For phrasing work, I will give you 7.5, but with greater scalar knowledge, it can be a lot more, since you are using the licks you know well.
TECHNIQUE: Well used bendings and great slides. Vibratos need more work on, although this kind of fast vibrato you used here sound very nice, and reminds on Angus's playing. Well picked solo as well, and well controlled tone on such low overdrive settings. Nice fluid solo too, you connected everything nicely with those slides, this is a good trick to make your solo fluent. I would advise more work on faster runs, specially diatonic ones. For technique skills I give 8.2
SOUND: Great sound for ACDC collab. I would advise a bit more treble, but you certainly managed to pull out a great tone indeed. For tone I give 9.5

WeePee

RHYTHM: Very good sense for rhythm, and using repetitive rhythmical phrases to your advantage. The solo has more a rhythmic character (similar to riffs) then melodic, and I think you did a nice job. The thing I would like to hear is couple of longer notes (possibly bended ones) here and there, to break the other notes. Making these breaks within the solo is very important. Another important thing is to keep the timing precise For rhythm I give a grade 8.1
PHRASING: Very good riff-like phrases within the solo, following pentatonic scale and blues scale mostly. I would advise that you use a bit more dorian mode and modal approach in general. Some major based licks would also sound pretty good here, so I would advise learning well the major pentatonic scale pattern over the minor one, to combine them both. As I mentioned, the solo is not that melodic, but rhytmic, riff-like. It does have structure however, and if you incorporate the scales I mentioned here, I think it will get another dimension. For phrasing I give 7.5
TECHNIQUE: bending and vibrato skills are very good, and everything is nicely played. I would advise that you work a bit more on your bend-release skills. When releasing, you need to sound more convincing. As far as technique ability goes, perhaps it is time to work more on some faster easy scalar runs that you can incorporate into these kinds of solos. They can be simple, containing 5-6 notes that repeat, and it can definitely sound good if played a bit faster. For technique I give grade 8.
SOUND: Sound is pretty good, healthy amount of distortion, and good sound. It's a bit buzzy, and I would add some mids as well, but it sounds OK. For sound I give a grade 8.8

Guitarrero:

RHYTHM: Cool use of different note durations throughout the solo. I like the fact that you use riffing approach. The speeding up in the second part is also very good. What I would suggest is that you try to use a bit longer notes here and there. I also think the main rhythmic phrase you used in the first part of the solo is a bit to repetitive. If not in the second part, I believe you could use something different for the end of the solo. What I would suggest is that you practice some triplet notes more. The tapping part came as a bit of refreshment, but it represents big contrast, so something is needed to bind the tapping and the riffing lick together, in order to have more flow. I think triplets of even longer notes would do the trick here as well. For rhythm I give a grade 7.8
PHRASING: You are using mostly pentatonic scale here and going to the root often. Although pentatonic scale is sounding good here, I recommend that you insert some blues scale licks or modes. If you haven't practiced modes and blues scale (as a full pattern on the neck, in all positions), this may be the right time to start. For phrasing I give 7.6
TECHNIQUE: Good playing throughout the solo. Bends are OK, and often used, but i believe they need to be stronger and sound more convincing. Inserting some vibrato here and there wouldn't hurt either. For technique I give 8.2
SOUND: I like the sound, although I think little less distortion would make it sound more defined. It's just a bit buzzy, but it's cutting nicely through the mix. So, with a bit more crunch it would sound good. Your guitar is a bit out of tune as well, so watch for that when recording too. For sound I give 8.6

Kaznie (i chose 2nd take, I think it is better and cleaner)

RHYTHM: Great use of all kinds of note durations in this solo, from longer notes to faster passages. I think you made a very good balance between these two, and your use of long notes is very good too. You have a good feeling for combining these, and the timing is also solid. I believe the ending could be a bit more convincing and in tempo, but all in all it is very good. For rhythm I give 9.
PHRASING: Very cool pentatonic licks with combined melodic passages. Good use of minor and minor pentatonic scale, but also blues scale too. The whole solo sounds good, and I would advise that you incorporate modal approach. If you haven't rehearsed several major modes in parallel by now, it's time to start. I also believe that ending could have more convincing finish note, perhaps octave lower. In general, I give 8.5 for phrasing.
TECHNIQUE: Good techniques displayed, good bending skill, well controlled and strong but a bit unprecise. Watch for that. Vibrato is ok. Legato is good, and you use those pull off triplets well to make things sound a bit faster. Muting is good, but on some faster licks it can become a bit messy. Those licks have probably learned the bad way, so it may be wise to go polish them the way you practice now. Upgrading technical skills on old licks is cool from time to time, and leaves the impression of more balanced player. For technique I give 9.2 since I hear constant progress from you as time goes by. Progress is good.
SOUND: Nice sound. You made progress here too, although you kept your hi-gain sound a bit. This time it's not so edgy, it's more smoother, and more natural, JCM800-like. In general I like it, but just watch for the buzzy character a bit more. Try to make it a bit more natural. For sound I give 8.9

krakou:

RHYTHM: Very good rhythmical phrases in the beginning of the solo, with a nice touch on the tremolo lick. You used mostly eight notes in this solo, so I presume this is what you practice the most. The last legato lick is a nice touch, but it needs to be tight. I would recommend for you that you start doing all kinds of note durations during practice: starting from quarter notes, to sixteen triplets. Doesn't have to be on fast tempo, contrary, you need to slow it down, so you give yourself time to adapt to all these notes. Try tapping the foot along with the click as well. You will see that in some time your rhythm phrases will become more diverse. I also recommend inserting some longer notes here and there. For rhythm I give a grade of 7.6
PHRASING: You used mostly pentatonic scale here, and some familiar blues licks, with the addition of minor scale in the last part of the solo. This is good, and I suggest working more on making pairs of similar licks with different endings, called call & response phrases. You did something similar here, but practicing these would make it sound even better. I also recommend using slides and connecting different boxes together, as you seem a bit locked inside those boxes with those licks. Try practicing minor scale boxes with slides and with some non-standard fingerings, so you go away from up&down kind of phrasing while playing. Take your time with these, and you are on the right track. For phrasing I give you 8.
TECHNIQUE: Good use of bends in the solo, but I would recommend making them more precise. I also think that you need to work on your vibrato skills in parallel. As I mentioned, legato needs to be tight and precise, so doing it slow with the metronome will help. In general, your muting technique and tone control is good, and it will polish up even more through more practice. For technical ability I give you 7.5
SOUND: Very nice sound, nice smooth lead sound with plenty amounts of distortion, but sounding pleasant. The solo cuts well too. I suggest a bit less delay and reverb, so it comes out even more defined. For sound I give 9.

leadbreak:

RHYTHM: Good use of various note durations in the solo. I general, I think you made it interesting for listening in terms of rhythm, and I would suggest that you spend some time polishing up those faster bits. In the second part of the solo, and in the faster bits in the first part too, your timing was not that great. It needs to be rock steady for this type of a track. Inserting faster licks is good, but with a function and dosed. Inserting some longer notes to break these faster bits would be a nice touch too, and not difficult. For rhythm I give 8.
PHRASING: The first part of the solo has a nice structure with some call & response phrasing. but I have the overall feeling of note displacement and non-structured phrasing. What I would recommend is that you slow down a bit, play slower melodies, and try to really accent specific notes within the solo so they have proper weight (like those on endings and beginnings of phrases). For phrasing I give 7
TECHNIQUE: Good techniques displayed, I like the slide outs, and the way you pick your notes. You can use those in your advantage. As mentioned, slowing your solo down, and using these advantages in a slow solo would sound even better. Bending is good, and vibrato could sound more pronounced and wider. For the faster bits, you need to take it slow with the metronome, and it will be OK. The important thing is you are on the right track and I can fell the progress, so now it may be time to turn to your improvising abilities instead of technical ones. For technical skills I grade 8.
SOUND: The sound was OK, but I feel your guitar is not being heard properly. You added too much space FX, and it sounds distant. Next to that, I feel there is too much bass and too little mids for this kind of lead. I also hear that backing track is also modified, so you may have used compression or EQ on your master channel. This is not that great idea, as backing is already processed and mastered, and guitar needs to cut through. Try these modifications, and it will turn out great. For sound I give 6.5

FINAL MIX

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 30 2010, 11:54 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hello everyone. I'm pleased to bring you the final mix of the second bass collaboration. This has been very interesting and I'm already looking forward to the future ones! smile.gif

Here is the final mix : Attached File  Bass_Collaboration_2.mp3 ( 2.11MB ) Number of downloads: 141

Ulrik

Very good take for opening this collab. I liked the fact you featured pre count lick to lead the bass line into the song. Overall I liked your approach here and style. All notes were in place and you played somewhere in between rhythm and solo bass. Licks were good and overall bass line line construction. Technique wise I would suggest trying to clean up your playing. I can hear that the muting technique is not well in place. There are several ways of muting with left and right hand - check out this lesson ( https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bass_First_Steps_Muting/ ).You had some note that were "bleeding" over each other and in situation of bass (in relation to guitar) - this can sound pretty muddy. Second suggestion would be to pay attention to the overall groove and the drums, you were getting out of time here and there. With bass you have to keep the "pocket" right or the song will collapse (yeah its a very important role). You can always make it more simpler but tighter with drums and it will sound better. Overall very creative take and interesting bass line. If you could pay attention to muting and making it even more simpler and tighter you would get it perfect. Regarding sound, its was a bit to bassy. Trick with bass recording is to try to capture raw bass sound using the DI box (Direct injection) box straight to mixer/recording interface. Maybe you'll need a preamp in there. Its in the mid frequencies. Raw bass sound (straight from guitar) may not sound so good but its very good for mixing. Then you just add some EQ and compression and that's it! Strong bass sound. Experiment with that in future takes. Thanks for participating in this collab, hope to see you in the next one! smile.gif

NoSkill

Here we have a boggie woogie chromatic type of bass line. I like the composition and it fits the backing track well. Its simple yet interesting and with a driving feel. Good job. I would suggest to pay more attention to the picking technique. Its played a bit uneven and shaky in time. With this type of bass line you have to hit the "pocket" hard and keep it there throughout the line. You will find that "pocket" just behind the beat. You need to play eighter on top of the beat or slightly behind it. You'll see that if you play just a "inch" behind that you will sound much more coherent with the drums. Listen to the kick drum. That is very important. You need to lock on. Try doing some more of technique exercises for bass against the metronome beep ( https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/technique-exercises-1/ ) - it will help you get your right hand chops up the task of playing fluid and in time. Overall I really liked the bass line construction - with slightly better performance in terms of time it would make a perfect bass line for this type of backing. I really liked the bass tone as well. It was cutting through the mix pretty well. What I would recommend for next recording is not to use any effects - no reverb, no chorus etc. Bass recording needs to be strong and clean as possible. If you can capture straight bass into recording device - like DI tone - that would be best option. Thanks for doing this collab, looking forward to your new takes. smile.gif

Gitarrero

I liked your approach here. You held to the strong notes (chord tones) and it always works best. So many songs have this type of bass track and it just works and propel the song forward. Very good thinking when constructing the line (hold on to the strong notes). Only downside here I hear is the technique. Backing track seems a bit too fast for your fingers. Try to work more on the fingering exercises like - https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/technique-exercises-1/ . With bass its all about the timing and attitude. I can hear the good attitude in the line. To get better timing try to play those 8th notes even in time and sound. Listen to the drums and especially kick drum for guidance. With bass this is essential and it can make or break the track/line. I liked the fact that you used the repetitive bass lick and that you used the "turnaround" lick only in the very ending. That is clever thinking. You don't want to sell all your licks right away. Sounds was actually pretty good. Only a bit to low in volume. But you set it right. Next time - just try to record a louder input. Thanks for being part of this collab, see you in the next one! smile.gif

See you in my next collab guys! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 31 2010, 07:35 PM
Instructor
ROCK RIFF COLLAB

Hi guys,

Here's the final mix for the ROCK RIFF COLLAB!:

Attached File  Rock_riff_Final_Mix.mp3 ( 6.28MB ) Number of downloads: 109

No. of participants: 5

And here are some comments on your takes:

- Skenn: 0:00- 0:53

I loved the fact that you added those nice lead arrangements! They give a nice intricate feel to it. Specially the dive bomb at the beginning.

Great take overall. It could have been recorded perfectly without the small timing mistake at the end, but I'm glad it was fun for you.

Thanks for that take!

- Ulrik: 0:53- 1:49

Nice idea to leave the silences so that the melody on the keyboards would be clear!

On the mixing part I wouldn't leave the main rhythm panned to one side. Either leave it on the centre or record two takes and pan each one to either side respectively.

I think the tone you used could sound more mean and thick. That corrects by itself almost when you record two takes of the same part and pan them hard. Try it!

On the last part I think you used a weak interval in the scale in my opinion, you could have used something more strong. A way to try this out is to do the same lick but instead use other steps of the scale.

THank you for participating!

- K1R: 1:49- 2:43

Nice palm muting and chordal technique, it's there, you have it! Timing is good, which is the hardest part to nail actually, very good job on that side.

I have to tell you that you NEVER use major chords against minor progression of chords in the background. This is almost a rule because it's very hard to make that work.

In this case the keyboards are dictating a harmonic background so they are giving you guidelines to follow. I should have mentioned that they were minor chords in the intro thread, so that's my bad, I'm sorry about that. But the lesson you can learn here is to ALWAYS USE YOUR EARS despite whatever happens. This advice is useful with bands in a live situation or in the studio!

On that last palm muted part, you are falling behind the beat. Make sure you let loose your wrist so that you can play fast 8th notes or 16th notes. Also you NEVER leave the last chord on that note WHEN THE KEYBOARDS RESOLVE THE PROGRESSION. In this case the bass and keyboards resolved so it really doesn't make sense to stay on the previous note. Use your ears here again because the keyboards DO PLAY that note but then bend up to the resolving note.

The tone is good. I think it could use a little more high end, brightness.

Anyways great take nevertheless, and thank you for taking part!

- AslanMontaz: 2:43 - 3:36

I'm really impressed with your take. The tone sounds great! thick and full!

Nice ideas, I loved that third you put on the third chord. Also the melodic idea after the first part makes a lot of sense and it's quite musical, it goes along with the keyboards really well.

Great timing and mix!

Great job! Thanks for participating!

- Daniel Realpe: 3:36- ending

My take is really simple and didn't want to add anything complicated to it. Just power chords varied rhythmically on each part. The tone comes from the Guitar Rig 4.

THank you all for taking part and for listening!

See you on the next collab!

Original thread can be found:
Here

This post has been edited by Daniel Realpe: Dec 31 2010, 07:43 PM

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 4 2011, 06:53 PM
Instructor
CHRISTMAS BALLAD COLLABORATION:

Hey everyone, here are the comments for this collaboration, and the final mix as well! smile.gif

So, here are the comments! smile.gif

Marek Rojewski:

Rhythm: I like the way you made your solo, so it goes from slow to fast. It's a fine gradation, and this gives a nice dimension to your playing. One thing that should be worked on is timing. Some notes in both slower and faster parts were a bit off.
Phrasing: Very nice phrasing elements. I like how you made those melodies, and how you go horizontally on the neck. Good feeling for call and response as well. I advise that you start working on some full arpeggio patterns for more diverse approach.
Technique: Good skills in general. You showed lots of different techniques. I would say you are on the right track with all of them, and that you need to work more in polishing them up on slower tempos. Vibrato is good, but it sounds a bit out of tune here and there, although you play it nicely and in tempo, which is a very good thing. One thing I would suggest is that you remove the pinky from the body of the guitar, it will mean a lot in the long run.
Sound: Your tone is nice, lots of gain there, and it sounds a bit buzzy, but it has a dose of smoothness that comes from your fingers.

K1R:

Rhythm: Good synchronization with the drums, and decent timing throughout. The thing I would like to suggest is that you try to rehears some triplet notes a bit, they would add a nice dose of freshness between 8ths, 16ths and those trems.
Phrasing: Nice use of minor pentatonic scale. I have a feeling you need to increase your lick vocabulary a bit, insert some cool bending licks, and also work more on your arpeggio skills, so keep that in mind when making your next practice plan. It will mean a lot.
Technique: Good playing throughout, and nice tone control. I advise more work on your bending, vibrato, and proper muting.
Sound: Good healthy sound, and nice direct tone that is cutting through the mix. It's a bit buzy, but OK.

Fre:

Rhythm: Good rhythmi throughout the solo, you have a good feeling for the rhythm, although you are not that convincing. Try working more on your faster licks.
Phrasing: Use of pentatonic scale is quite nice. What I recommend is that you learn all the positions equally well. Once you do that, try learning the minor scale throughout, using CAGED and 3nps patterns. keep that in mind for future practice, it will mean a lot for you.
Technique: Techniques are good. You are slow player, but you are trying to play correctly, which I like. You tend to sound bluesy, and because of this, I would definitely recommend that you try to develop stronger bending and vibrato techniques.
Sound: Good lead tone with decent dose of smoothnes. Sounds a bit buzy, but it's making the tone that bad, it's good.

Gitarrero:

Rhythm: Good timing, and good mix of different note durations in the solo. Excellent use of longer notes here and there, to break out the faster passages. There were couple of glitches here and there, and small problems with timing tho, so keep that in mind. There are two choices here to sound professional: either you polish up those problematic passages through practice, or use something more doable. I would suggest polishing, since problems are not that big.
Phrasing: Good use of minor pentatonic, minor scale, and some arpeggios here and there. I would advise you to work on arpeggios in-depth, it will mean a lot.
Technique: Good bending and vibrato skills, but they are not that convincing, you need a bit more strength on them. Picking is good and tone control is good. I like it. Try working more on your picking dynamics, the solo seems a bit "flat".
Sound: Good tone, but it sounds buzy because of too much overdrive. You have decent tone control, and I think with some delay and less drive you would get a nicer tone, specially because your guitar seems to have nice sustain.

superize:

Rhythm: Good rhythm, well played and in tempo. Correctly played. I don't like those big pauses that much, but more words about that bellow.
Phrasing: Altough your phrases are good, and licks are nice, I would definitely suggest that you focus more on patterns. It seems to me that you are consantly "searching" what to fret, and it limits you in expressing yourself. By learning the scales position by position, you will be an awesome player.
Technique: Great technique, very well played, and tone control is excellent. I like the bends and vibratos, they seem very stable to me. Well done on that field. But try to pay more attention to picking dynamics also.
Sound: Good tone, well made. Although it is compressed, it sounds very good. Space FX is also very well added.

FINAL VIDEO MIX! smile.gif

Thanks everyone for participating, and I hope to see you on future collabs too! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Feb 3 2011, 10:27 PM
Instructor
Funky Collab

No. of participants: 4

Attached File  Funky_Collab___Final_Mix.mp3 ( 5.38MB ) Number of downloads: 122

Here are some comments on your takes! and mine

- TylerT: 0:00 - 0:42

wow man, I love it! catched my attention from moment one!

You are a really good player. Quite versatile, fluent and expressive. Original ideas nicely put together which keep the listener there!

Nice bends too, spot on. I like when you rest on the second part and leave that little gap.

Your phrases are clearly defined.

I was thinking on doing arrangements only but now that I hear your take I might be inspired to do a solo as well.

Just one minuscule thing: Make sure you edit the noise at the beginning before starting.

Thank you for the take!

- K1R: 0:42 - 1:27

Hi K1R! I think the tone you used is not bad at all, nice choice of distortion and EQ.

For the first part I can tell that you thought too much about what chords/scale to play. Remember that you always check every little piece of theory knowledge with your ears. I think arpeggios are a little out of the style in this particular backing track. Make sure you listen to some examples from the style of music you aim for so you get ideas from the origin of it.

Review every part of the solo with time after you record it and be prepared to make changes! it can be tiring but I can't think of any other way of doing it,

- Lester: 1:27 - 2:09

Hi Lester! nice take! I think some of those pentatonic runs fit in pretty well, but you are using one of those notes that are "too outside" so make sure you identify these and use them only as quick passing notes.

Maybe you are using too much distortion or maybe it's too open. Think Frusciante, he uses a LOT of drive but somehow it sound tight and not 80's open. It's good to be aware of these things.

Also make sure you end your phrases really confident and secure. Round them up nicely, that'll make you sound more professional.

Please render your files as mp3. It's just more practical.

Thank you!!

- Daniel Realpe: 2:09 - Ending

My take was spontaneous at the beginning but then on the next parts I had a hard time finding a continuation to that initial idea. Every idea that came I just tried out against the first and listened.

Eventually each new idea started to feel right and then ended up with the whole thing, little by little. After that I re-did the second phrase as I thought it could be a little more expressive. And that was it!

Thanks for participating and everyone for listening!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 2 2011, 07:16 PM
Instructor
Modern RnB Video Collaboration:

JamesT:

Rhythm: Great rhythm theme in the first part of the solo, and I like that it repeats later on. There is a big contrast between those slower and faster bits, but it sounds effective, it makes the faster ones stand out. Gradual transition would be great too.
Phrasing: Phrasing in the slower parts is great, and has nice repetitive and catchy theme. The faster bits are OK, but there should be a better connection with the backing. Try using strong notes more. There is a small section where you played slower arpeggios and that turned quite nice. So I recommend that you apply this approach more often, as it has more meaning and connection with the harmony.
Technique: Very nice playing throughout the solo, excellent legato on the faster bits. One suggestion from me is to apply skank playing technique on those single notes at the beginning of the solo. So, instead of picking single string, strum all strings, but mute the strings so only one note remains.
Sound: Nice fluent compressed lead tone, with slightly buzzing character. Try to lower down the high end a bit to remove that buzzing.

K1R

Rhythm: Very good rhythm, balanced and cool sounding. Timing is OK throughout the solo.
Phrasing: Nice use of pentatonic scale. What I would suggest is to work a bit more on dorian and blues scales. This will help you achieve diversity. Landing on the root note is good, but you seem to do it often that needed. Try landing on a different strong note of the chord, it can sound quite nice too.
Technique: Your playing is good, I like those soulful bends a lot. Try working on your picking technique to make it cleaner and tighter. Also work more on vibrato.
Sound: Very good sound, nice and crunchy with a smooth top end. Sounds very cool.

TylerT:

Rhythm: Great intro phrase, and very cool funky passages after that. Awesome feel for the rhythm, you got into the groove very nicely. Faster and slower bits are well balanced and synchronized. Timing could be more tighter tho.
Phrasing: Very good sense for short phrases and connecting various elements together. Nice sense for harmonic connection. Metal-sounding licks turn out to be very effective for this kind of backing.
Technique: Excellent display of a wide range of techniques, very well controlled and relaxed playing. You are technically great player with a very good sense for diatonic scale. One thing I notices is that you tend to rush in some places and this creates mistakes. Try to insert longer notes here and there, and make some pauses, that can sound good as well, and it will give you time to move to desired notes on the neck more precisely.
Sound: Sound is OK, but I would advise a bit more defined sound here. Although this sound is good for chunky rhythm playing, for lead I suggest more mids, and possibly some delay since you are modern type of a player. There is also some ambient reverb that is not that desirable.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Mar 4 2011, 02:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 2 2011, 07:46 PM
Instructor
Blues Collaboration:

Gitarrero:

Rhythm: Well played rhythm, with some thematic rhythmic figures that occur during the whole solo. You seem to hold the tempo well, and you have sense for shuffled rhythm too. What I would advise is to try to bend the rhythm feel a bit to create syncopation, this would add to the feel.
Phrasing: Very good use of pentatonic scale. You seem to know the positions nicely, as you move from one to another. What I would advise is to try to increase your lick vocabulary, learn blues scale (just add one note to the existing pentatonic scale), and most importantly - learn the strong notes of the chords. Try to land the phrases on strong notes, and it will sound awesome.
Technique: Well picked solo with a nice control. Some nice use of vibrato, but I would suggest even more, and more wider vibrato. What you would definitely benefit is to do bends, try to do them often, and it will sound awesome. Bends, bend-releases, and prebend-released notes sound very effective in blues.
Sound: Nice direct tone for the blues, a bit compressed, but good. I would advise lowering down the overdrive a bit in order to cut down the compression and get more dynamics out of those notes. The lower notes are a bit boomy, so try to lower down the bass just a bit.

Todd Simpson:

Rhythm: Great use of all kinds of note durations, with tasty syncopation added, very diverse and effective.
Phrasing: Great use of pentatonic scale throughout the solo, with some very interesting and cool patterns on it. Nice horizontal jumps too.
Technique: As always, excellent playing. Great technique in every aspect of the solo, full precise bends, aggressive vibratos, strong playing in general with some super fast passage using tapping or legato (not sure). Whatever it is, sounds very effective.
Sound: Modern tone with scooped mids, in your style, and it sounds good here as well because of good tone control.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Mar 4 2011, 02:14 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  final_mix.mp3 ( 2.29MB ) Number of downloads: 99

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
May 29 2011, 10:30 PM
Instructor
HEAVY STATIC METAL VIDEO COLLAB

I think this turned out to be a really cool collab

At the end there's an extension of the original track so it all rounds up nicely,

Here are some comments about your takes:

* K1R: 0:00 - 0:30

Hey man, nice take! Thanks for the great video!

I see you chose A harmonic minor for the first bit. It kind of reminds me of Lazlo's lesson on harmonic rocking tracks. It gives the solo that sort of mysterious outside sound which I enjoy.

Your picking technique and your coordination between hands looks very good!

Careful with the open high E string, don't let it ring when you are playing the B string. I would say that to create a memorable phrase it's important to sometimes use long notes and be comfortable with less notes, so maybe you can consider that.

The second part you decided to go to B major which shows you are aware of your scales and harmony, good. I would say that the rhythm for this phrase is a bit to predictable so maybe experiment changing only the rhythm using the same notes.

And the last part you use Dm pentatonic if I'm not mistaken, which fits really well. I would only experiment more with rhythm and longer notes for now.

* Gitarrero: 0:30 - 1:00

I like the approach you intended of creating a powerful solo using muted pentatonic scale. I think in order to really deliver this clearly, the tone should be a bit more crispy and not as muddy.

The bend at the end of that first phrase is not in the scale and sounds really off, so make sure you prepare this important exit notes because they are the ones that catch all the attention, not the runs themselves.

I want to suggest to use less notes for now, and experiment creating very melodic solos using long notes and maybe silences. Start with that and then you can start adding faster licks. In the end it will sound more musical.

The idea is to feel comfortable staying on say, just two notes in one bar, try that. Pick 2 or 4 notes, and only play those notes, NOTHING ELSE. This will force you to experiment with rhythm and character.

* Todd: 1:00 - 1:30

I have to give you massive props for using the inverted left hand technique!! very cool! You chose notes from Am scale which I think gives it that metal sound to the phrase. I like the pattern change in the tapping, that's a lesson on itself.

In the second part you chose pentatonic scale to contrast with the first bit. This is a good tool to create interesting solos and I like that you chose to re-use the tapping technique to sort of give it the two parts unity.

And the note choice for the last part makes it very interesting, it feels like the solo wants to develop more when use those notes, imo. And it's interested that it's the same scale as in the first phrase although it has a different harmonic background.

Thanks for that great take!

* Daniel: 1:30 - End

This solo is part of one my songs called "Heavy drinker" and now that I analyse it I notice there's very clear division of phrases. You can easily tell where each phrase begins and ends.

There first bit is influenced by Steve Vai's whammy bar abuse, a tool to use the guitar as a screaming lady. At the end of the part you can recognise two identical phrases repeated, except for the last note. This is a good tool to create memorable solos.

In the second part, I used a long alt. picking run in E mixolydian. I used the same pattern in different directions basically.

Then on the D part, I chose Dm pentatonic and three-note per string runs to end with a bend at the end.

The tapping part consists on 5ths with an added note using the right hand.

I hope you enjoyed it! and I'll see you in the next collab!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:47 PM