Sliding Question
Tangomouse
Apr 26 2012, 10:36 PM
GMC:er
This may sound like a dumb question or some what remedail, I would just like to know when a slide in tab looks like this --> " \9 " or " /9 " I know its a slide up or down from anywhere but do you pick the random note or just slide, i tend to pick it then quckly silde to the note.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 26 2012, 11:18 PM
Learning Roadie
In these situations, I just slide from wherever feels nice. smile.gif
When you see the "/9" that means to slide up to the fret. Slide into the note.
When you see the "9\" that means to slide down. Slide down after note is played.
I guess it can be typed different ways. This is how I interpret it.
But I always look at the direction of the slide and where the slide is in relation to the number. If it is before number, I assume that it means to slide up to. However, when I see a slide after the number, I assume I need to slide down from the note.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Tangomouse
Apr 26 2012, 11:31 PM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Apr 26 2012, 11:18 PM) *
In these situations, I just slide from wherever feels nice. smile.gif
When you see the "/9" that means to slide up to the fret. Slide into the note.
When you see the "9\" that means to slide down. Slide down after note is played.
I guess it can be typed different ways. This is how I interpret it.
But I always look at the direction of the slide and where the slide is in relation to the number. If it is before number, I assume that it means to slide up to. However, when I see a slide after the number, I assume I need to slide down from the note.

sorry i think u misunderstood me, as there's no note to slide from woud you pick any note as you slide to the set note, would u pick and slide or just slide without picking

This post has been edited by Tangomouse: Apr 26 2012, 11:39 PM

+Quote Post
dark dude
Apr 27 2012, 12:02 AM
QUOTE (Tangomouse @ Apr 26 2012, 11:31 PM) *
sorry i think u misunderstood me, as there's no note to slide from woud you pick any note as you slide to the set note, would u pick and slide or just slide without picking

Both ways are fine, most of the time I'd pick and slide, though.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 27 2012, 11:34 AM
Instructor
Yeah I'll usually pick and slide. Try and make the pick and slide simultaneous in case the start note is outside of the key, you don't necessarily want to draw attention to where it starts, just where it ends smile.gif

+Quote Post
Tangomouse
Apr 27 2012, 11:47 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Apr 27 2012, 11:34 AM) *
Yeah I'll usually pick and slide. Try and make the pick and slide simultaneous in case the start note is outside of the key, you don't necessarily want to draw attention to where it starts, just where it ends smile.gif

yer i do the same, just wounded if i was doing them correctly, its fine on a distorted electric but on a clean electric or acoustic u don't really hear the slide, thats why i tend to pick simultaneously and slide.

This post has been edited by Tangomouse: Apr 27 2012, 11:48 AM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 27 2012, 11:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tangomouse @ Apr 27 2012, 11:47 AM) *
yer i do the same, just wounded if i was doing them correctly, its fine on a distorted electric but on a clean electric or acoustic u don't really hear the slide, thats why i tend to pick simultaneously and slide.

Hehe yeah acoustics don't lend themselves well to those Vai style slides do they ? wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:27 AM