2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Intervals Chords Triads & Harmonies, Part 2 - Intervals
Oded Dwek
Mar 26 2009, 09:05 PM
GMC:er
Hey and thank you for this guide, i have question regarding your table:

Are those rules stay the same for all the other Major mods? (including modifying one's)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 1 2009, 08:45 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Intervals are more basic than modes, in fact you can construct modes and scales form intervals!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
abnormal
Apr 13 2009, 02:43 PM
Finally! biggrin.gif This is really understandable biggrin.gif Thank you veryvery much!

+Quote Post
josuegda
Sep 17 2009, 01:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
Olée lesson.

Thank you very much for this lesson. It´s very clear.

Now, some of my shadows have been dispersed.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 18 2009, 10:11 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Glad you liked it!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
lindman
Nov 12 2011, 03:06 PM
This is really good, but I do not know if I'm stupid now, but I have a question about 3th

if I take C and E together then I get a major chord, but if I take B and D together, I think you get a minor chord?

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 12 2011, 09:47 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (lindman @ Nov 12 2011, 03:06 PM) *
This is really good, but I do not know if I'm stupid now, but I have a question about 3th

if I take C and E together then I get a major chord, but if I take B and D together, I think you get a minor chord?

You actually need 3 notes to make a chord (that chord is called triad).
But yes - major chord is : root - major 3rd - perfect 5th and minor chord is : root - minor 3rd - perfect 5th
So in both chords the 3rd will define if it is major or minor depending if its the major 3rd or minor 3rd.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 13 2011, 10:40 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (lindman @ Nov 12 2011, 03:06 PM) *

You should cover the basic interval theory first before going to chords. Chords are made from intervals. Very important rule here that always stands is:

minor + major second = minor third
major + major second = major third

This means:

1. C - D - E fraction of notes all have major second intervals in between them, so C - E relation is major third relation
2. B - C - D fraction of notes have minor second interval between B - C, and major second between C and D, so B - D relation is minor third.

When stacking third intervals into chords, this rule applies:

1. major third + minor third = major chord
2. minor third + major third = minor chord
3. minor third + minor third = diminished chord

This is why it is important to go through the scale note ranges and remember the second intervals in between notes!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
lindman
Nov 13 2011, 01:13 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Nov 12 2011, 09:47 PM) *
You actually need 3 notes to make a chord (that chord is called triad).
But yes - major chord is : root - major 3rd - perfect 5th and minor chord is : root - minor 3rd - perfect 5th
So in both chords the 3rd will define if it is major or minor depending if its the major 3rd or minor 3rd.

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 13 2011, 10:40 AM) *
You should cover the basic interval theory first before going to chords. Chords are made from intervals. Very important rule here that always stands is:

minor + major second = minor third
major + major second = major third

This means:

1. C - D - E fraction of notes all have major second intervals in between them, so C - E relation is major third relation
2. B - C - D fraction of notes have minor second interval between B - C, and major second between C and D, so B - D relation is minor third.

When stacking third intervals into chords, this rule applies:

1. major third + minor third = major chord
2. minor third + major third = minor chord
3. minor third + minor third = diminished chord

This is why it is important to go through the scale note ranges and remember the second intervals in between notes!

Thanks for the replies!

Is it because the intervals is shorter between B and D, then between C and E that makes them "different"?
But the tonika is C so if i played B and D together over a C chord, it would sound like major?

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 9 2013, 11:28 AM
Theory Instructor
The reason is the distance between the notes. You can check this on the fretboard to see how it works out.

Play a B on the 2nd fret of the 5th string, then a D on the 5th fret of the 5th string.

This is a minor 3rd interval.

Then, play a B on the 2nd fret of the 5th string and then a D# on the 6th fret of the 5th string.

This is a major third interval.

So it is the distance from the lower note that dictates what the interval is, not the key you are in.

If you play E and G over a C bass note, it will produce a major triad, because the E and G are being heard over the C root note.

But, if you just play the notes E and G, that is a minor third interval so it will sound minor.

Hope that helps.

QUOTE (lindman @ Nov 13 2011, 12:13 PM) *
Thanks for the replies!

Is it because the intervals is shorter between B and D, then between C and E that makes them "different"?
But the tonika is C so if i played B and D together over a C chord, it would sound like major?

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 10:05 AM