Scales Necessary?, Scales Vital?
vintageplaya666
Jan 4 2008, 10:41 PM
GMC:er
Ok Pavel, my current guitar teacher keeps on banging on about NEEDING to practise scales EVERYDAY, to increase speed and accuracy. I know all the Basic scales such as Major, Minor, Blues, Pentatonic, Harmonic Minor, Natural Minor and also know all my Modes and Arpeggios in every key across the fingerboard.

I've been doing these things none stop over the past 2 years, and i've never noticed any improvements towards my speed. I play accuratley and fluently and can play around about 140bpm and yes I use a mentronome aswell. So i've got all that down, but no speed seems to be coming out from that. And I've always done what my teacher told me, start slowly first then gradually speed up that got me to play at 140bpm. After that, its a blank cant seem to get any speed higher than that.

I'm wanting to do that because I'm wanting to play some Dragonforce lol. So are there any excercises on this site that you could reccomend to me?

Cheers Pavel.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Signature Made By Spleeny

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift "
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 5 2008, 12:09 AM
Instructor
Scales are important and any AP lesson on this site can help. If in 2 years you're gaining no speed than you must be doing something wrong. Maybe a change of your practice session could bring something new? Try practicing legato or sweeping lessons to get other viewpoints on scales smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jan 5 2008, 10:17 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (vintageplaya666 @ Jan 4 2008, 10:41 PM) *
start slowly first then gradually speed up that got me to play at 140bpm. After that, its a blank cant seem to get any speed higher than that.

You probably need to learn how to switch to shred-picking mode.
Think of it as a horse going from canter to gallop: totally different horse gaits.
A horse can only canter to a certain speed - and needs to switch a different run mode to go faster.

Train tremolo picking and watch Kris' speed picking lessons (in the 101 section). smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:41 PM