Need Memory Tricks For Interval Spellings
A.C. Dega
Dec 22 2009, 02:18 AM
GMC:er
I've got a course on relative pitch training, they want us to memorize the spellings of all intervals but I keep getting some of my ascending fifths mixed up with descending fourths. Example. E up to A is a 4th. and E down to A is a fifth.

The ultimate goal of this is to automatically know every interval spelling so that you know a I- IV in C is CM to FM, Or that FM-CM-BbM is a I-V-IV in F without thinking

Does anyone have any memory tricks for remembering the "spelling" of intervals? Or keeping Ascending intervals Separate from there inversions in your mind?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by A.C. Dega: Dec 22 2009, 02:38 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 22 2009, 02:22 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (A.C. Dega @ Dec 22 2009, 02:18 AM) *
I've got a course on relative pitch training, they want us to memorize the spellings of all intervals but I keep getting some of my ascending fifths mixed up with descending fourths. Example. E up to A is a 4th. and E down to A is a fifth.

Does anyone have any memory tricks for remembering the "spelling" of intervals?

The first notes of "twinkle, twinkle little star" is a fifth, or You can take whatever simple melody and use as a reminder. The same goes for the fourth, eg. use a melody You know as reminder. The reason that You mix it up is because that the inversion of the intervals is actually the same.....

//Staffay

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
A.C. Dega
Dec 22 2009, 02:27 AM
QUOTE (Staffy @ Dec 21 2009, 07:22 PM) *
The first notes of "twinkle, twinkle little star" is a fifth, or You can take whatever simple melody and use as a reminder. The same goes for the fourth, eg. use a melody You know as reminder. The reason that You mix it up is because that the inversion of the intervals is actually the same.....

//Staffay

Hey that Twinkle Twinkle thing is Awesome for Ascending Fifths. Thanks. Also For Descending Fifths I use "Oompa Loompa" from Willie Wonka.

This post has been edited by A.C. Dega: Dec 22 2009, 02:28 AM

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 22 2009, 02:42 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (A.C. Dega @ Dec 22 2009, 02:27 AM) *
Hey that Twinkle Twinkle thing is Awesome for Ascending Fifths. Thanks. Also For Descending Fifths I use "Oompa Loompa" from Willie Wonka.

No probs.. smile.gif I've learned this when I was at college long time ago and studying about the same as you...

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Dec 22 2009, 03:45 AM
I was thinking maybe you'd remember by the sum always being nine. Given your example about E and A. Whatever the distance in one direction, the distance in the other irection MUST be the difference from nine.

Taking your example of E as the center point, E up to A is a 4th. and E down to A is a fifth
9 - 4th = 5th
9 - 5th = 4th

Expanding for intervals we might not consider:
E to F#: 2nd, 9 - 2nd = 7
F# to E: must be 7th

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 22 2009, 04:19 PM
Instructor
for the fifths I use the Superman theme,

fourths are easier because they are the typical cadencial interval at the end of a symphony for example.

Seconds/sevenths I use Blitzkrieg, the metallica cover, biggrin.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:20 PM