2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Guitar Or Amp?
Darknodar123
Oct 25 2009, 01:48 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys!!!

Well this December (too early to discuss but...) I am going to get 300-400 Euro.
And I will spent them on something that has to do with guitar.But where?
Any suggestions?

Should I buy a new amp with sound versatility?Should I buy a new guitar for better sound quality?Or should I buy something aside from those two?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 25 2009, 01:54 PM
Learning Tone Master
You are a beginner who has just started to play guitar. If you have a decent guitar and an amp that can give you a clean and an overdrive sound then you are set for now!!!

Save your money to spend it later on. You have only just begun playing and you don't know what your tastes in sound or guitarshapes are. Learn with what you have now for atleast half a year before you think about upgrading.
By that time you will know if you want an amp for which sounds or what guitar would be the best for what you want to play.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Oct 25 2009, 02:02 PM
Well I have mentioned on another topic that Im not quite happy with the guitar's performance.

You see I ve been cheated.

I was about to buy a Fender Stratocaster which was on sale and my father went to buy it for me.

But when he bought it and brought it home,it was a Stratocaster but not FENDER!!!

Instead of writing in the headstock Fender it writes League (idk what the hell League is.Do you know?)

So I think at least I should buy another guitar.

QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Oct 25 2009, 02:54 PM) *
If you have a decent guitar

There you go decent smile.gif

This post has been edited by Darknodar123: Oct 25 2009, 02:12 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 25 2009, 02:03 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Darknodar123 @ Oct 25 2009, 02:02 PM) *
Well I have mentioned on another topic that Im not quite happy with the guitar's performance.

You see I ve been cheated.

I was about to buy a Fender Stratocaster which was on sale and my father went to my for buy it.

But when he bought it and brought it home,it was a Stratocaster but not FENDER!!!

Instead of writing in the headstock Fender it writes League (idk what the hell League is.Do you know?)

So I think at least I should buy another guitar.

Maybe the store would let you exchange it if that's not the one you meant to get.

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Oct 25 2009, 02:05 PM
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Oct 25 2009, 03:03 PM) *
Maybe the store would let you exchange it if that's not the one you meant to get.

Actually I didnt bought from the Local Music Store.I bought it from a store which had only that guitar on sale (no other guitars).But I saw that it was a Fender so I thought it would be okay.But in the end that happened

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 25 2009, 02:13 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
A guitar needs a proper set-up.

The other day a friend who just starting playing show me his "starter pack", witha strat clone & cheap amp.
The problem was that the strat was so poorly set-up that it was barely playable, the action was rocket high, intonation was bad, etc.

Maybe your strat is not set-up properly.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Oct 25 2009, 02:15 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ Oct 25 2009, 03:13 PM) *
A guitar needs a proper set-up.

The other day a friend who just starting playing show me his "starter pack", witha strat clone & cheap amp.
The problem was that the strat was so poorly set-up that it was barely playable, the action was rocket high, intonation was bad, etc.

Maybe your strat is not set-up properly.

Well maybe I dont really know.Ill see to it.

Thanks smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Oct 25 2009, 02:26 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
If you are not satisfied with the guitar, get a new guitar that you like. For amp, you can just use a DI box and a software or a multi effects box (which comes in really cheap) and just focus on learning guitar and practicing as much as you can before you can perform live and need an amp.

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 25 2009, 02:27 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I think you should wait a bit with purchase. You should take your guitar for setup which is a good idea since cheap guitars are not setup up properly and there for harder to play. You should take it to a local shop for setup its a well worth investment.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Oct 25 2009, 02:29 PM
Ok thanks guys for help.

Well its 2 months till I get that money so Its too early to discuss it now.

A lot of things may happen till then.

QUOTE (maharzan @ Oct 25 2009, 03:26 PM) *
focus on learning guitar and practicing as much as you can before you can perform live

Live?I just started playing the guitar smile.gif

Theres no way I can perform live biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Darknodar123: Oct 25 2009, 02:32 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Oct 25 2009, 02:55 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
oh yea.. thats when you need an amp to get to know your tones. smile.gif

Practice! Practice!! Practice!!! Till then. Good Luck.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 27 2009, 09:46 PM
Instructor
This may be acquard to you, but I advise that you spend that money on a good audio interface, like POD Studio UX1, or POD X3 or something. This will enable you to play, practice and record with a variety of tones. For 300-400e you cannot get an amp that will give you that much tones and enable you to record anything.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 27 2009, 09:51 PM
Instructor
Sometimes getting a new guitar can boost your practicing and playing. On the other hand if you are beginner you should focus on practicing and working with what you got. I remember my first guitar was copy of Gibson Les Paul by Slovenian manufacturer (Melodija). I played it for 4-5 years before getting me other electric guitar. Point is, guitar won't do playing, you are the one that make it happen smile.gif
One little suggestion - take your guitar to get it properly set up. Lower the action if its two high, adjust intonation and all the rest that needs to be done.
Save 300-400 euros, soon you will have 1000 to upgrade when the right time comes (plus prices drop and every year new models come out wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Oct 28 2009, 05:31 AM
Instructor
100% agree with you Ivan. Recording is super important to really listen how you are playing, fine tune mistakes and tone.
Also a good interface will allow you to have a LOT of different professional tones and also allow you to do much more, like recording backing tracks, or layer your guitar and make arrangements.

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 27 2009, 03:46 PM) *
This may be acquard to you, but I advise that you spend that money on a good audio interface, like POD Studio UX1, or POD X3 or something. This will enable you to play, practice and record with a variety of tones. For 300-400e you cannot get an amp that will give you that much tones and enable you to record anything.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Oct 28 2009, 08:01 AM
OK guys!!Conclusion is I will buy a POD for more sound versatility.thanks

QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Oct 27 2009, 10:51 PM) *
Sometimes getting a new guitar can boost your practicing and playing. On the other hand if you are beginner you should focus on practicing and working with what you got. I remember my first guitar was copy of Gibson Les Paul by Slovenian manufacturer (Melodija). I played it for 4-5 years before getting me other electric guitar. Point is, guitar won't do playing, you are the one that make it happen smile.gif
One little suggestion - take your guitar to get it properly set up. Lower the action if its two high, adjust intonation and all the rest that needs to be done.
Save 300-400 euros, soon you will have 1000 to upgrade when the right time comes (plus prices drop and every year new models come out wink.gif

As for guitar of course I will take it for setup.But save 1000 euros for upgrade?That would be a SUPER upgrade.

But I will buy a POD and save the rest of the money.

Btw how much does a POD X3 cost?

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Oct 28 2009, 08:36 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I think you won't need the super quality POD with hundreds of presets and features. You never really have to explore all those presets.. I bought GNX4 few years ago and I never actually played more than 4-5 presets. Clean, distortion, lead tone and Wah at times. After a year or so, I got annoyed with the digital sound and now m using a tube amp instead. Althought I have the GNX4, I never use it now.

So, the point is, you will always want to upgrade when you start learning more about sound and guitar playing. So, instead of doing a 400$ purchase at this point, I would recommend you to start off with cheaper ones and get one clean tone you like and one lead tone you like and start improving your playing skills.

Some really small ones but with great tones which has been recommended here as well are :

Line 6 POD 2.0
PX4D
PX5D
Toneport UX1 - Review on GMC

and the famous PX4D review (thread here) by the great Muris Varajic!

Good Luck!

Note: I think all of these have USB recording facility which is what you really need to improve. smile.gif

Also, if you really want to get it cheap, buy used ones (near you if available).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Oct 28 2009, 08:36 AM
QUOTE (maharzan @ Oct 28 2009, 09:33 AM) *
I think you won't need the super quality POD with hundreds of presets and features. You never really have to explore all those presets.. I bought GNX4 few years ago and I never actually played more than 4-5 presets. Clean, distortion, lead tone and Wah at times. After a year or so, I got annoyed with the digital sound and now m using a tube amp instead. Althought I have the GNX4, I never use it now.

So, the point is, you will always want to upgrade when you start learning more about sound and guitar playing. So, instead of doing a 400$ purchase at this point, I would recommend you to start off with cheaper ones and get one clean tone you like and one lead tone you like and start improving your playing skills.

Some really small ones but with great tones which has been recommended here as well are :

Line 6 POD 2.0
PX4D
PX5D
Toneport UX1 - Review on GMC

and the famous PX4D review (thread here) by the great Muris Varajic!

Good Luck!

Note: I think all of these have USB recording facility which is what you really need to improve. smile.gif

Well I never actually said I would make a 400 Euro purchase but those are good suggestions thanks.

Also what do you mean by USB recording facility?

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Oct 28 2009, 08:42 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Yep, you never said but the POD X3 (you were asking for) looks like it will cost around 400$. smile.gif

USB recording facility means, the unit will have USB port which you can connect to your computer and record using your favorite recording software like Cubase, Pro Tools, Cakewalk, etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Oct 28 2009, 08:46 AM
Oh I didnt know it costs that much tongue.gif

But the USB Facility is something that needs to practiced and improved.'

Also till now I dont know how to use none of these programs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Oct 28 2009, 08:48 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Be aware that the POD 2.0 does NOT have USB. It's probably cheaper and you can probably found some for nothing on eBay but it's not as versatile and easy to use as the XT or X3. But yeah, those gears are pretty expensive and you are most likely to go over your budget.

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:06 PM