Wiki Basics
Hardtail
Dec 1 2007, 03:41 AM
GMC:er
Okay, so if your like me you know what a wiki is for and how the articles should generally go. But I am a little confused at the interface and how exactly I go about posting content into the wiki.

Can we get a quick tutorial on how to go about adding articles. Nothing major, just the basics.

Thanks! cool.gif

Hardtail

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Hardtail
Dec 2 2007, 04:37 AM
The "Templates..." in each category are generated by the wiki script whenever a link to a non-existing page is inserted. Here is an easy guide to getting your first article on the wiki.

1.) Go to the section where you want to put your article. (I went to "Gear" for this example)

2.) Up at the top you'll see an address like this "http://guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/index.php/Portal:Gear".

3.) Type your article name after the address using /articlename. So I wanted to write an article and call it Tubes under the Gear section. So i typed it into my address bar and it looked like this: "http://guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/index.php/Portal:Gear/Tubes". Then hit enter.

4.) If the article isn't already made you should get a message that says: "There is currently no text in this page, you can search for this page title in other pages or edit this page." Click the "search for this page title" link.

5.) You will then be taken to the Search engine within wiki and at the top you should see "Create this page" link . Click that then paste your article (may want to start with a template first).

That should get you started. If you need help getting the article to show up in the correct section let me know, I can help. See the Gear section for how I started laying it out as an example.

Hardtail

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Dec 2 2007, 09:45 PM
QUOTE (Hardtail @ Dec 1 2007, 10:37 PM) *
The "Templates..." in each category are generated by the wiki script whenever a link to a non-existing page is inserted. Here is an easy guide to getting your first article on the wiki.

1.) Go to the section where you want to put your article. (I went to "Gear" for this example)

2.) Up at the top you'll see an address like this "http://guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/index.php/Portal:Gear".

3.) Type your article name after the address using /articlename. So I wanted to write an article and call it Tubes under the Gear section. So i typed it into my address bar and it looked like this: "http://guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/index.php/Portal:Gear/Tubes". Then hit enter.

4.) If the article isn't already made you should get a message that says: "There is currently no text in this page, you can search for this page title in other pages or edit this page." Click the "search for this page title" link.

5.) You will then be taken to the Search engine within wiki and at the top you should see "Create this page" link . Click that then paste your article (may want to start with a template first).

That should get you started. If you need help getting the article to show up in the correct section let me know, I can help. See the Gear section for how I started laying it out as an example.

Hardtail

Wow
Looks like you really figured it out Hardtail smile.gif .For me though i've never did anything like this (wiki) and im very lost right now sad.gif .Writting the article isnt the problem,but trying to find were to do all this cutting and pasting and templete's is my prob.
I want to do a article on how to modify your electric guitar''.I type electric guitar in search and nothing comes up so i dont even know where to put it or how to get where i need to start typing tongue.gif Since i already have said the title i will be using is there anyway someone can help me get started?Like get it set-up through wiki and then just send me a link where i can start typing.I just really want to get started and feel i can write several articles but not knowing how to get where i can just write is really slowing me down .So anybody that can help me get to the point of just writting the article would be much apperictaed.

P.S sorry im so behind on knowing how to do all this stuff.I really dont know awhole lot about computer's and programs tongue.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 3 2007, 12:33 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Hi Dan,

I tried to create the page for you as you asked, but I don;t seem to have permissions to edit or create any pages - Kris, could you maybe check this out? I can;t even edit the article I wrote a few months ago sad.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Dec 3 2007, 12:55 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 2 2007, 06:33 PM) *
Hi Dan,

I tried to create the page for you as you asked, but I don;t seem to have permissions to edit or create any pages - Kris, could you maybe check this out? I can;t even edit the article I wrote a few months ago sad.gif

Yep im having problems like that aswell sad.gif .Just any help would be great once we get it all figured out. smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th April 2024 - 10:08 PM