Best Musician Books ?
Ben Higgins
Mar 7 2012, 02:11 PM
Instructor
Hey Guys.. what are the best books related to bands or written by musicians you've ever read ?

For me, the 2 must read books are:

I am Ozzy - Ozzy Osbourne (Possibly the funniest, least boring and surprising muso book there is)
Run to the Hills - Iron Maiden (One of the most inspiring and interesting books about a band.. also helps to understand the necessary mindset for being a leader like Steve Harris)

I'm currently reading Iron Man - Tony Iommi at the moment smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Mar 7 2012, 02:12 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 7 2012, 03:54 PM
Instructor
I really enjoyed Slash by Slash..
It's really interesting to know how the band raised from the underground to the top is a very short period of time and the effect that it had in his members. It's also cool to know all the variations and situations that took place before having the first album line up as well as the details on how they wrote their best songs.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 7 2012, 04:01 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Ashley Khan's:

A Love supreme: the story of John Coltrane's Signature Album

and

Kind of Blue: The making of Miles Davis Masterpiece.

Whilst both are more about the specific ground breaking albums both none the less give a lot of insight in to Coltrane and Davis as musicians and what drove them at those specific times. Also, and arguably unlike some music books, both are well written.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 7 2012, 04:48 PM
Learning Roadie
I also liked Slash by Slash

Hickory Wind: Life and Times of Gram Parsons

Keith Richards: Satisfaction

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 8 2012, 01:06 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I recently read 'the heroin diaries' by Nikki Sixx. I really liked it. it was well written and the mixture of diary style entries and explanations written in retrospect worked really well.
Some parts of the book were absolutely insane! I was a big crue fan back in the day and didnt realise at the time just how messed up Nikki Sixx really was.

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Mar 7 2012, 01:11 PM) *
I am Ozzy - Ozzy Osbourne (Possibly the funniest, least boring and surprising muso book there is)

The ozzy one does sound good. That one's on my 'to read' list biggrin.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 8 2012, 08:38 AM
Instructor
I enjoyed Slash by Slash as well and I am currently planning on reading Keith Richard's biography, which is sitting here on my desk waiting for me to open it tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 8 2012, 11:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Mar 8 2012, 12:06 AM) *
I recently read 'the heroin diaries' by Nikki Sixx. I really liked it. it was well written and the mixture of diary style entries and explanations written in retrospect worked really well.
Some parts of the book were absolutely insane! I was a big crue fan back in the day and didnt realise at the time just how messed up Nikki Sixx really was.

The ozzy one does sound good. That one's on my 'to read' list biggrin.gif

I haven't read that one but I have read The Dirt, which is just unbelievable !

Yes, you must get the Ozzy book... I nearly soiled myself many times by laughing at things in it laugh.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 8 2012, 12:58 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Mar 8 2012, 10:29 AM) *
I nearly soiled myself many times by laughing at things in it laugh.gif

Im off to Amazon! biggrin.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 8 2012, 03:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Mar 8 2012, 11:58 AM) *
Im off to Amazon! biggrin.gif

The soiling part sounds so British biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:48 PM