2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Ngd!, Look what the cat dragged in!
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 11 2014, 12:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
Not played it yet, only just arrived, but wanted to share with you. There were some trouble under way when the postal service for a day or two didn't know where it was, but in the end it showed up!

RGIR28FE WH!

Gonna put up a sound demo once I get to know her a bit better laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Aug 11 2014, 12:38 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 11 2014, 12:53 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
oohh what a monster smile.gif there really is something extra cool looking about a white guitar.
8 strings and a killswitch.... cant wait to hear it fired up biggrin.gif congrats on the purchase.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 11 2014, 01:18 PM
GMC:er
Elegant weapon of mass destruction! smile.gif congrats!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 11 2014, 04:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 11 2014, 01:53 PM) *
oohh what a monster smile.gif there really is something extra cool looking about a white guitar.
8 strings and a killswitch.... cant wait to hear it fired up biggrin.gif congrats on the purchase.

Thanks! I'm not sure how much use I'll have of the kill switch, but fun tool for sure! And yeah, she's a monster indeed!

QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 11 2014, 02:18 PM) *
Elegant weapon of mass destruction! smile.gif congrats!

laugh.gif Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 11 2014, 04:31 PM
Instructor
Oh!!!!! Finally!! Congratulations mate. It is beautiful!! smile.gif

Now, remember your promise. RECORD!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 11 2014, 04:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 11 2014, 05:31 PM) *
Oh!!!!! Finally!! Congratulations mate. It is beautiful!! smile.gif

Now, remember your promise. RECORD!

I will try and record some riffs and stuff and put in our thread smile.gif Deal?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 12 2014, 12:09 AM
Spiff!! Quick suggestion on the 808 EMGs. I was not happy with the tone until I tried a very old trick and lowered them as much as I could (I usually raise my pups for more gain) only then did they get less boomy, more articulate and less compressed.

I kept trying to raise them up for a while and it kept making things worse. I had to create an entirely new patch for them after the lower as the eq curve is entirely different, but the overly compressed sound is dealt with smile.gif But everyones ears are their own, so try some things out smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 11 2014, 11:34 AM) *
I will try and record some riffs and stuff and put in our thread smile.gif Deal?

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 12 2014, 12:28 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 12 2014, 01:09 AM) *
Spiff!! Quick suggestion on the 808 EMGs. I was not happy with the tone until I tried a very old trick and lowered them as much as I could (I usually raise my pups for more gain) only then did they get less boomy, more articulate and less compressed.

I kept trying to raise them up for a while and it kept making things worse. I had to create an entirely new patch for them after the lower as the eq curve is entirely different, but the overly compressed sound is dealt with smile.gif But everyones ears are their own, so try some things out smile.gif

I'll experiment a bit for sure! I don't find it too boomy actually, but no harm experimenting a bit with it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 13 2014, 07:31 PM
Instructor
I like this a lot. It's like a big sister to my RG7421 !! cool.gif

How do you find it with the extra string noise due to 2 lower strings ? Do you have to adapt your hand position for muting ? I found I have to be extra careful with the low B.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 13 2014, 07:39 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 13 2014, 08:31 PM) *
I like this a lot. It's like a big sister to my RG7421 !! cool.gif

How do you find it with the extra string noise due to 2 lower strings ? Do you have to adapt your hand position for muting ? I found I have to be extra careful with the low B.

I'm used to a 7 string, so the B is not a big deal, but of course this has one extra string. It does take a bit of getting used to, but I think I'll get around it soon enough. I've done the old trick of tying something around around the nut, which I think helps a bit. Kinda like the gruv gear fret wraps.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 14 2014, 12:29 AM
The MUTING is a bigger issue on 8 Strings smile.gif You can get around it with some practice of course, but a wrap will certainly help. Eventually, though, with proper technique you won't need one.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 13 2014, 02:39 PM) *
I'm used to a 7 string, so the B is not a big deal, but of course this has one extra string. It does take a bit of getting used to, but I think I'll get around it soon enough. I've done the old trick of tying something around around the nut, which I think helps a bit. Kinda like the gruv gear fret wraps.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 14 2014, 10:32 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 14 2014, 12:29 AM) *
The MUTING is a bigger issue on 8 Strings smile.gif You can get around it with some practice of course, but a wrap will certainly help. Eventually, though, with proper technique you won't need one.

Yeah I believe that !

I do fancy an 8 one day. Todd, You weren't a big admirer of the RG8 if I recall ? Cael, did you try an RG8 as well ? Just wondered if you were able to make a comparison between the two. They're kind of the entry level for 8's but your one is obviously above that in quality.

I'm quite surprised that T-Mac is the only Shrapnel era guitarist to venture into 8 territory.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 14 2014, 12:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 14 2014, 11:32 AM) *
Yeah I believe that !

I do fancy an 8 one day. Todd, You weren't a big admirer of the RG8 if I recall ? Cael, did you try an RG8 as well ? Just wondered if you were able to make a comparison between the two. They're kind of the entry level for 8's but your one is obviously above that in quality.

I'm quite surprised that T-Mac is the only Shrapnel era guitarist to venture into 8 territory.

I did try an RG8 in the shop as well, and for me it felt like it was lower quality than the iron label.

The thing with the iron label though is, from what I hear, that the quality control is so and so, so you might get a nice guitar, or you could get one where the frets aren't finished properly etc. So if you can, try it out in a shop and buy it there. I didn't know about this untill after I had ordered mine online (mind you, I did try a similar model in the shop). I got lucky, I guess. Can't put a finger on anything.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 15 2014, 05:16 AM
Agreed!!! I bought the RG8 before playing it and was a bit let down sad.gif The IRON LABEL is just a better guitar which is part of why it costs more smile.gif Better pickups, better wood, better fit and finish overall, etc.

In short, it's a spiff axe!! I almost got one myself, but as I already have 3 ibbys, and already had one 8, I went for the DEAN RUSTY COOLEY RC8X after trying one out. I was really impressed with the neck. It is a slim C shape which I like a bit more than the D shape that most ibby 8 guitars (except the prestige 8 neck) have. So it feels like a lead guitar neck and it has the shortest scale length (26.5") that I could find in an 8 string neck so the string tension allows for bending.

The low 8th is a bit floppy compared to the Iron Label 8, which is the biggest flaw on the Cooley. But it's a give and take kind of thing smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 14 2014, 07:47 AM) *
I did try an RG8 in the shop as well, and for me it felt like it was lower quality than the iron label.

The thing with the iron label though is, from what I hear, that the quality control is so and so, so you might get a nice guitar, or you could get one where the frets aren't finished properly etc. So if you can, try it out in a shop and buy it there. I didn't know about this untill after I had ordered mine online (mind you, I did try a similar model in the shop). I got lucky, I guess. Can't put a finger on anything.

+Quote Post
Spock
Aug 15 2014, 09:56 AM
Beautiful, that black binding really ads a classy touch to it.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 15 2014, 09:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
Damn it all to hell! The guitar is nice and all, and I was gonna record some stuff, but would you look at that, my soundcard has died on me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 19 2014, 07:50 AM
Instructor
Hey mate, till you fix your soundcard! Congrats on the acquisition wink.gif It looks amazing!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 20 2014, 01:00 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 19 2014, 08:50 AM) *
Hey mate, till you fix your soundcard! Congrats on the acquisition wink.gif It looks amazing!

Thanks, Cosmin! It's awesome to play as well, and it seems I've been lucky with the Indonesian quality control, which apparently is so and so...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 21 2014, 07:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 20 2014, 12:00 PM) *
Thanks, Cosmin! It's awesome to play as well, and it seems I've been lucky with the Indonesian quality control, which apparently is so and so...

Umm, I understand it's made in Indonesia?

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 21 2014, 10:43 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 21 2014, 08:09 AM) *
Umm, I understand it's made in Indonesia?

Yeah, apparently. That's what I'm told. Now, personally I have never had any problems with instruments made wherever in the world, but I'm told the japanese models are better and that they have better quality control. This one plays great though, so I can't complain at all.

EDIT: I think all of the Iron Label series comes from Indonesia, but I might be wrong.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Aug 21 2014, 10:44 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:29 PM