2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Anyone Interested In A Nes Guitar Lesson Series?
derper
Feb 7 2012, 12:14 AM
Learning Tone Master
Last night was the rare occasion for my band, EMULATOR, to rehearse. We are a 4-piece NES/Nintendo music cover-band!!

Now, a HUGE part of making this project work, is getting down the material outside of rehearsal. That way, we can attain maximum efficiency, with minimal time commitments. The guys in the band are pro-level musicians, and don't have a ton of time to put into "practice", so we're all committed to bringing it 110% and are able to get material down fast for shows.

Anyway, during rehearsal last night, I thought that many of these songs would make for a GREAT lesson vid!! Especially breaking it down into both playing the parts, and how to practice them efficiently as well. Each lesson would take a bit of work on my part, especially since I'm not totally efficient at producing vids and whatnot, BUT I'm certain that I can still put together a high-quality "student lesson", only if people would be interested. Otherwise, I really don't want to put the time into it. I had done a short video lesson on a "Mega Man 2: Wily Stage" rhythm and picking exercise, but it didn't get many responses.... Being that GMC is an international community, perhaps many of you aren't familiar with Nintendo as much. Anyway, let me know, and I'd be happy to throw together a fun lesson in the upcoming weeks!

Some songs we do, that I could cover....

-Mega Man 2
-Contra
-Mario 1, 2 and 3
-Tetris
-Castlevania 2
-Double Dragon
-Metal Gear
-Legend of Zelda

Also, I'm trying to write some better solo's for the songs I take a lead on, and they should be a bit more "metal" and "shreddy" which is not my strong suit. Perhaps you guys could "collab" with me and help me to construct a solo with your ideas and help? That would be fun too!! But you have to be willing to let me "steal" your ideas!! wink.gif

Let me know if anyone would be interested in this series!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 7 2012, 12:37 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (derper @ Feb 7 2012, 12:14 AM) *
Last night was the rare occasion for my band, EMULATOR, to rehearse. We are a 4-piece NES/Nintendo music cover-band!!

Now, a HUGE part of making this project work, is getting down the material outside of rehearsal. That way, we can attain maximum efficiency, with minimal time commitments. The guys in the band are pro-level musicians, and don't have a ton of time to put into "practice", so we're all committed to bringing it 110% and are able to get material down fast for shows.

Anyway, during rehearsal last night, I thought that many of these songs would make for a GREAT lesson vid!! Especially breaking it down into both playing the parts, and how to practice them efficiently as well. Each lesson would take a bit of work on my part, especially since I'm not totally efficient at producing vids and whatnot, BUT I'm certain that I can still put together a high-quality "student lesson", only if people would be interested. Otherwise, I really don't want to put the time into it. I had done a short video lesson on a "Mega Man 2: Wily Stage" rhythm and picking exercise, but it didn't get many responses.... Being that GMC is an international community, perhaps many of you aren't familiar with Nintendo as much. Anyway, let me know, and I'd be happy to throw together a fun lesson in the upcoming weeks!

-Mega Man 2
-Contra
-Mario 1, 2 and 3
-Tetris
-Castlevania 2
-Double Dragon
-Metal Gear
-Legend of Zelda

Also, I'm trying to write some better solo's for the songs I take a lead on, and they should be a bit more "metal" and "shreddy" which is not my strong suit. Perhaps you guys could "collab" with me and help me to construct a solo with your ideas and help? That would be fun too!! But you have to be willing to let me "steal" your ideas!! wink.gif

Hah, wow man that's awesome!! SO cool to find another video game music enthusiast! biggrin.gif Your band is AWESOME, all that games you mentioned have outstanding soundtrack and you covered them really well!

I am a huge video game music fan and I especially adore 8-bit music! In fact, I had in plans myself to do some metal covers of Castlevania music (Bloody Tears perhaps, or Vampire Killer, or Simon's Theme or a megamix of all the best Castlevania themes because I really love them all)! In the past I made some video game non-metal remixes, they are on my YouTube channel: Castlevania's Bloody Tears, Endless Stage from Mega Man (in Fruity Loops) and Legend Of Zelda theme (in Guitar Pro, bad instrument quality) .

All in all, I'd be happy to contribute in any way you like, whether it was writing a solo or collabing with you! Just say what you want, here or via PM wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Feb 7 2012, 12:38 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Feb 7 2012, 12:54 AM
Learning Tone Master
Awesome Dinaga!! Always glad to hear from another game-music enthusiast as well!! Although there are MANY games and platforms with AWESOME music, I tend to really enjoy the old NES compositions. It's amazing how much they did, with so little!! Also, though I don't know the names of all of the composers, I can HEAR it when playing new (to me) games I hadn't yet played.... just the other night I played a game I never played before, and immediately realized the music had to be the same guy that did Bayou Billy!!

Cool. It' may take me a bit to put together a full lesson, but I can't wait to do it!! In the meanwhile, here's a "full-version" of our "Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest Medley" in which we start with the "peaceful village theme", go into the "woods theme" and then finally into ("what a horrible night for a curse!!") the "Evil Night" theme to finish!!

The first song is certainly one I'd like to do a vid on, because the chord progression is awesome and the riffs are decievingly intricate. Though Contra would make a more "INSANE" lesson (lookin at you Dinaga, you insane lesson hunter you!!), I personally have a harder time with this one for whatever reason. I think I make a pretty audible error on the live vid too. sad.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
quadrium
Feb 7 2012, 01:02 AM
Learning Tone Master
Man.. You are EPIC. I also worship the game musics and you nailed smile.gif Wish i could be in that band too.. Maybe we can make some sort of collaboration with you and Dinaga. What do you say guys? smile.gif

This post has been edited by quadrium: Feb 7 2012, 01:03 AM

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 7 2012, 01:10 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I enjoyed this video so much. First it was like a jazz rendition of Nintendo VGM, and then at 2:40 my face melted. Awesome transition to the best Castlevania theme ever! biggrin.gif Good luck in your lesson, and just contact me when you want! smile.gif

BTW, have you heard this guy? He makes video game music remixes, and they are simply brilliant! This is a real anthem - he even put some of The Trooper in it! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Feb 7 2012, 01:12 AM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks Quadrium!! It really means a lot to hear that. I try VERY hard to keep up with these guys.... (Our drummer is a Vic Firth signature artist! http://www.vicfirth.com/artists/gusseck.php)

EMULATOR has been, hands-down, my greatest learning experience yet. And I still have plenty to learn!! I still feel like these guys deserve a "better/shreddier" guitarist, but seeing as I put in all of the original legwork to get the project up and running, and currently handle all of the booking/promoting/video editing (we project the games being "played" during the show!), I still have pretty good "job security"!! wink.gif

I would personally LOVE to do an un-official "COLLAB" on one of these tracks sometime, outside of a full lesson vid also. The only thing is, I don't currently have/use an interface since I've been mainly a "live performance" guitarist, but will be getting one with my tax return. I could probably post a downloadable link to one of our cleaner practice runs, and then you all could use that to record your takes over. I could have our keyboardist mix me out one without guitar perhaps..... Sorry, I'll get good at all that over this next year, by being involved here at GMC. Or, maybe he can send the recording "project files" and I/someone here can help me pull the guitar out of the mix to turn it into a decent EMULATOR "backing track". Sorry, I'm a home recording idiot.... I always figured I'd leave it to the recording guys. Now I realize how much I've been missing out!!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 7 2012, 01:25 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I am all in for a collab, if you guys want! smile.gif Playing video game music is my big dream and if you are interested, why not? smile.gif If you can somehow get those project files it would be a good base for a collab, but we can also make it from the very beginning, with our guitars and virtual instruments for keyboard/drums/bass smile.gif Just an idea smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Feb 7 2012, 01:53 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Feb 6 2012, 04:25 PM) *
I am all in for a collab, if you guys want! smile.gif Playing video game music is my big dream and if you are interested, why not? smile.gif If you can somehow get those project files it would be a good base for a collab, but we can also make it from the very beginning, with our guitars and virtual instruments for keyboard/drums/bass smile.gif Just an idea smile.gif

Not sure what kind of files they are/if it will work....but I think I also have (in my email) the soundboard recording from that live show as well. I'll try and get the files from my keyboardist, but he's as lazy as he is talented, and probably won't want to put even 2 mins into helping me out with this!! (sucks, but it's true.)

I'll see if I can dig up the 'board files, and send them to you Dinaga and see if you can do anything with them perhaps. I'll see if your email is on your profile.

Just remembered after searching email, that the soundboard file is on a disc at my house (I'm at work). I'll work on getting it to you soon Dinaga, just to see if it's useable as a backing track or not. I heard the drums are low in the mix, but perhaps it can be brought up? We'll have to see.

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 7 2012, 09:35 AM
Instructor
Hey guys! My first video game console EVER biggrin.gif was a SNES, having Super Mario World, Super R-Type and Legend of Zelda as my number one games biggrin.gif loved the music and the idea of making a band who could execute all those crazy things there tongue.gif

I have 0 experience in this smile.gif but I would love to try it out biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Feb 7 2012, 11:25 AM
Learning Roadie
I can imagine you guys featuring in a Big Bang Theory episode, where Sheldon goes to his first concert!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Olivier777
Feb 7 2012, 01:28 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Wow Derper this is really cool, I am sooo sharing your video on FB right now ! biggrin.gif
I am working on a neoclassical tune inspired by the music of boss fighting in Castlevania 1 on NES smile.gif (its funny I mentionned it a while ago in here).

Here how it goes the original vid :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T8KRaNDg-c

+Quote Post
derper
Feb 7 2012, 07:33 PM
Learning Tone Master
That's a great tune, and will make for an awesome neo-classic piece!! But, if you like that, something tells me you will love this NES tune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ9xwkMr3e4
Something tells me that would be an awesome neo-classic guitar piece as well. When we perform it, I leave that to the keys (harpsichord!!).

QUOTE (Olivier777 @ Feb 7 2012, 04:28 AM) *
Wow Derper this is really cool, I am sooo sharing your video on FB right now ! biggrin.gif
I am working on a neoclassical tune inspired by the music of boss fighting in Castlevania 1 on NES smile.gif (its funny I mentionned it a while ago in here).

Here how it goes the original vid :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T8KRaNDg-c

And thanks so much for all the responses so far!! It's actually rather nice to be able to talk frankly about this project here at GMC. I can talk about the difficulties, the triumphs, the mistakes....the things you DON'T talk about because you're trying to promote, and make the world think you're awesome!! I just hope the guys in the band never see these threads, where I'm giving away insider secrets! tongue.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Olivier777
Feb 7 2012, 07:47 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
That's a great tune, and will make for an awesome neo-classic piece!! But, if you like that, something tells me you will love this NES tune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ9xwkMr3e4
Something tells me that would be an awesome neo-classic guitar piece as well. When we perform it, I leave that to the keys (harpsichord!!).

Haaa Wizard and Warriors ! You know I finished this game like dozen times when I was around 12 years old, brings back memories... Only now I realise how cool this sounds laugh.gif
I think what you do is great and original, I will follow your future videos on facebook as well !

This post has been edited by Olivier777: Feb 7 2012, 07:48 PM

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Feb 7 2012, 11:13 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Are you the guys who played Megaman 2 in its entirety while someone actually played the game on stage? I saw that show, it was freaking awesome

+Quote Post
derper
Feb 7 2012, 11:52 PM
Learning Tone Master
Not quite, although we do use a projector to show the game/levels being played through as we play the music onstage!! Also...the vid is from our first show!! I put at least a year into getting the project details in line, locking down the players, and all of the legwork. It was a huge commitment, but it really was the only way to do it for this project, if I was to lock down some pro-level players.

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Feb 7 2012, 02:13 PM) *
Are you the guys who played Megaman 2 in its entirety while someone actually played the game on stage? I saw that show, it was freaking awesome

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Feb 8 2012, 05:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Feb 6 2012, 11:14 PM) *

-Mega Man 2
-Contra
-Mario 1, 2 and 3
-Tetris
-Castlevania 2
-Double Dragon
-Metal Gear
-Legend of Zelda

Very nice band you got going on! Sounds pretty good!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 8 2012, 05:23 PM
Instructor
Man, when I heard the Zelda theme I just remembered the good old days when I had time to play all day long - the SNES that is tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 8 2012, 06:31 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
BTW, if anyone's interested, I made a Video Game Music group on Facebook a while ago, and there's lots of cool video game soundtrack there, 8-bit as well as modern games music smile.gif If someone plans to cover some video-game music, here you can find some ideas wink.gif

https://www.facebook.com/groups/122774204448869/

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Feb 8 2012, 06:37 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Feb 9 2012, 08:37 PM
Learning Tone Master
Alright everyone!! I've got the "guitar-less" tracks now!! Although, they are rehearsal tracks so there is a little bit of guitar bleeding into the other mics, but it really is good enough to get started on these lessons!!

Also.... it's ok for me to start a little "student lesson" series here on GMC, right? Just want to make sure it wouldn't be breaking a forum rule or anything.

I'm thinking of starting with our "Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest" medley, which includes the "Town Theme"-->"The Woods Theme"---->"Evil Night Theme".

This youtube video shows the original tunes, which goes in the same order as our EMULATOR medley (ends at to 2:10), just to get a feel for the original.

I'll start a new thread for the actual lesson, but still link it here. The first section, in my opinion, is the most difficult. The second (Dinaga's favorite!!) I believe will be done as a "collab" style, in which you are all welcome to help me write a new solo for that piece!! (Although, Dinaga.... I would need some help on mixing the final collab, if you are willing to do so!!) So far, I've really just hit an "improv" solo over the changes, as demo'd in the EMULATOR castlevania vid.

I'll provide tab in the lesson, and some tips in the video as well. Since I'm not an instructor, I won't be able to do the lesson with the little "sections" of video to breakdown each part, but I'll still provide a similar style of instruction with 1 video showing the whole runtrhough, then videos breaking down each part.

By the end of the 3 sections, we/you will be able to play through all 3 songs along with the EMULATOR backing track!!

This is gonna be fun!! I'll try to get on it today/this week, but I must admit that I have quite a few musical obligations over the next few weeks (gigs, gigs, giggity!! tongue.gif ) so I can't fully guarantee that I'll complete this full series before the end of february.

Ready to ROCK..... EMUATOR-style?!!! mad.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 9 2012, 09:21 PM
Instructor
That is awesome man, I really like what you did there, shared it on FB too. It's amazing how some of the arrangements are done, awesome.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:01 PM