2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Lcsdds Mtp Lydian Serial, Post Questions and Takes Here!!
lcsdds
Mar 3 2009, 10:20 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jer @ Mar 3 2009, 08:52 PM) *
those first 2 licks look pretty simple.

Are we playing them with no backing, just the kaz box? Or to the backing tracks on the lesson?

On this lesson I'm not gonna worry about the Kaz-box unless I see something in your posting that needs work. Sloppy timing, can't play a run up to speed etc,. You guys get free run on this one because it is pretty basic. If you can whip this whole lesson out this week Jer, have at it!! As soon as somebody gets it up to tempo I am gonna throw a little twist at them before I let them "graduate" to intermediate. smile.gif

If you guys can whip this out this week, knock yourself out. I just don't want to overload anybody. So first two licks at full tempo with the backing track and an embedded youtube vid would be great....The whole lesson would be even better.

\m/\m/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 4 2009, 03:23 AM
GMC:er
This is a Lydian lesson...

Looking at the standard notation on muris's lesson I see 4 sharps.

Lydian is the 4th mode of the major scale.

Coincidence?

Attached Image

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 4 2009, 03:51 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jer @ Mar 4 2009, 03:23 AM) *
This is a Lydian lesson...

Looking at the standard notation on muris's lesson I see 4 sharps.

Lydian is the 4th mode of the major scale.

Coincidence?

Attached Image

Check out the 2nd note in the music. See the #, that note is "A#". So 4 sharps in the key signature and 1 sharp in the music itself=5 sharps total, Hence B major or E lydian. smile.gif

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 5 2009, 09:42 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Alright Guys.....So instead of just having you guys be a bunch of Parrots and learn and regurgitate this first lesson in the Lydian serial I thought we would analyze it and figure out what is really going on here.

Of course.......I am gonna have you guys do the analysis though. smile.gif

We are doing this because it is cool to learn licks, but learning FROM licks......EVEN COOLER!! smile.gif

So here is the first one. The lick we are analyzing can be found at the bottom of the post.

First lick we are gonna break down is Lick 5 from the tab I had you guys download. If you didn't download it go back to the start of the thread and Get it:

BEGINNER LYDIAN PHRASING BY THE "BOSNIAN BEAST"---LICK 5:

So this lick is two bars long. The first half of the bar is played over an E major Chord and the 2nd half over and E+11. Bar two is played over an E major.

Here to break down the chord progression is JER....it's hard to believe that out of a million sperm.... that he was the fastest. tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Take it away Jer.........

E

also known as Emaj = E G# B

The 11 of that would be A. Augmenting that would make it A#

So E 11+ is E, G#, B, A#

Why is it a Lydian chord? Well, looking at the chart for Lydian I see there is no E Lydian. That doesnt make sense to me.... Looking elsewhere I discover that E Lydian = E F# G# A# B C# D#

All of the notes of that chord are in the E Lydian scale. And compared to E Ionian its got the A# instead of the A.

So its Lydian-ness is supplied by that A#. So when I play that chord I would pick the A# just a bit harder and I'd kick my leg into theair a' la Yngwie to enphasize it.

-JER-

So Jer....Why does the tapping lick that the BOSNIAN BEAST plays here sound so COOL and SEXY when played over this chord progression?.......

Jedi master Muris is exhibiting typical coolness here.

Over the E chord (E, G# he is getting jiggy with these triplet licks. (1st half of bar 1)

E, A#, G# & D#, A#, G# Both licks have the A# so that should sound Lydian over the backing chord. And the 2nd lick has the D#, which is also in E Lydian. The D# is also the VII in the Emaj chord. So adding that in there fits nicely.

Then over the E11+ chord he is continuing the D#, A#, G# lick. The E 11+ chord is E, G#, B, A#. Again, the D# in the lick is the VII in the Emaj chord. So it fits well.

Then he drops to C#, A#, G# to finish off the bar. Still over the E11+ chord. That C# isn’t in the chord itself, but it is in the E Lydian scale.

In bar 2 we go back to the lick with D# in it. Which we covered above. And then the C# one again, then finally he finishes it by going down to B then E. Both of which are in E Lydian and E Ionian.

So… In a nutshell, he’s using the notes of the chord in the backing. And dancing around the other notes in the scale as well.

-JER-

GOOD JOB JER!!! \m/\m/

There you have it folks. Lick 5 from the Lydian Phrasing Beginner lesson by the Bosnian Beast broken down. Next up Opeth.db and Lick 6........

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 7 2009, 08:31 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Here is my take. Kind of sloppy with the timing. This is not an easy solo timing wise. I still need to clean it up but here it is for now. smile.gif

Just waiting for you now Jer!! smile.gif \m/\m/

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 20 2009, 05:07 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
So here's mine:

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 22 2009, 04:17 AM
GMC:er
Pretty good Kaz.

Nice guitar!

All that stood out to me on that was the bends. To me they all sound a touch flat.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 22 2009, 10:21 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jer @ Mar 22 2009, 04:17 AM) *
Pretty good Kaz.

Nice guitar!

All that stood out to me on that was the bends. To me they all sound a touch flat.

Haha, sorry, I kinda rushed it.... Normaly my bends are ok, luckily. Guitar is Ibanez SA 08 LTD2 BAR, and I believe its kinda limited model.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:33 PM