2 Pages V  < 1 2  
To Gear Or Not To Gear ?, What Role Does it Play ?
Zynicon
Nov 5 2014, 11:12 AM
GMC:er
I agree with SpaseMoonkey. You need a boost for the Rectifier, but then it can sound like a beast.
The JCM800 was loud as hell. It cut through the mix, like no other amp i have owned, but damn it was ear-bleeding loud.
The JCM2000 was a bit darker in the sound and better to control (volume). If i ever join a old school thrash band, that would be my choise again.
The 5150 was also a good amp, but i got rid of the sound. Its that typical modern metal wall of sound. Not bad, don't get me wrong, but i wantet something new. I traded it for the rectifier.

The most "unfriendly" amp was the Engl Fireball. It was easy to dial in a good sound but it was very compressed to my ears. i like amps that show you when you suck at playing. laugh.gif the only way to get better.

I am very happy with my Diezel but you have to be careful with the bass and deep level. it has tons of low end but its very tight. It has a unique sound and the only amp i would trade it for ist the Bogner Uberschall Rev Green.

The Kemper is piece of gear i would like to put my hands on. Very interesting concept!

Picture: my Ibanez Collection [The Rgr465 still with the edge 3, what a shitty floyd. Now loaded with an OFR biggrin.gif ] and the Diezel + Mesa Cab

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Nov 5 2014, 12:28 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 5 2014, 03:52 AM) *
Hey Travis smile.gif

I agree with you in respect to the Mesa Boogie amps - my band mates own a Road King and a Roadster so I had plenty of time to try them both onstage and in the studio and that's the conclusion we all went for - they need the boost biggrin.gif

Diezel, hmmm, haven't tried those .. yet, but I heard only great things about them, that's for certain. Now to be frank, we are seriously thinking about getting Kempers, but it's a longshot as they are pretty expenisve. We'll live and see what happens smile.gif Does yours feel natural? I mean does it really feel like playing a tube amp in respect to the dynamics and response you get when playing? What is it that you DON'T like about it? smile.gif I am curious to find out more smile.gif

Hello Cosmin!

I love my Kemper I believe it's helped me with my playing more than any other piece of equipment I've owned. Being a bedroom player, I don't have to worry about loudness or setting anything up at all. I just turn it on and go. As any multi-effect units, Kemper, Axe, 11R, Pods, ect, you always have your go to patches.

Some things I really liked, we all know I'm not a non-distortionist! laugh.gif But back when I owned a EBMM JPX and had the piezo, they came out with a few profiles for acoustic amps and it sounded really clean and clear with a bit of that wooden reverb. It really impressed me playing an electric and getting that kind of tone.

As for feel you can change that. Under the amp setting for each profile you can change the definition, how the power sags, pick, compressor, clarity, tube shape, tube bias, and direct mix. So you can do a lot with it just like the Axe FX.

What I don't like, I have no clue what all that stuff in the previous sentence really changes as a whole. I'm not a tweaker so it goes over my head. But I must say after watching what people have been doing in the band setting it wouldn't be an issue. Get the tone you want set up in a studio and profile it. Maybe a bit of light tweaking for tone at that point but not messing with all the amp/cabinet options so much.

Through a cab, I hated it on my Mesa Triple Rectifier, but thats due to the series or is it parallel fx ins/outs as it wasn't normal and it didn't react correctly it actually needs modded. I'm running some junkie Alto PA speaker and it sounds decent in my room, so no complaints. But I would love to hear it going through a tube power amp into a cab to see if it has a warmer feel.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 6 2014, 03:20 AM
Spectraflex cables RAWK!!!! smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 22 2014, 03:05 AM) *
Hey Todd! Thank you very much for the suggestion, man!

I was thinking about ordering some cables from Spectraflex soon and I think that since they offered me the endorsement deal, I will take the opportunity and try some of their cables for my wireless. I'll let you know how it goes smile.gif

Nice Ibby Collection!!!

QUOTE (Zynicon @ Nov 5 2014, 06:12 AM) *
I agree with SpaseMoonkey. You need a boost for the Rectifier, but then it can sound like a beast.

Picture: my Ibanez Collection [The Rgr465 still with the edge 3, what a shitty floyd. Now loaded with an OFR biggrin.gif ] and the Diezel + Mesa Cab

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 6 2014, 08:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Nov 5 2014, 11:28 AM) *
Hello Cosmin!

I love my Kemper I believe it's helped me with my playing more than any other piece of equipment I've owned. Being a bedroom player, I don't have to worry about loudness or setting anything up at all. I just turn it on and go. As any multi-effect units, Kemper, Axe, 11R, Pods, ect, you always have your go to patches.

Some things I really liked, we all know I'm not a non-distortionist! laugh.gif But back when I owned a EBMM JPX and had the piezo, they came out with a few profiles for acoustic amps and it sounded really clean and clear with a bit of that wooden reverb. It really impressed me playing an electric and getting that kind of tone.

As for feel you can change that. Under the amp setting for each profile you can change the definition, how the power sags, pick, compressor, clarity, tube shape, tube bias, and direct mix. So you can do a lot with it just like the Axe FX.

What I don't like, I have no clue what all that stuff in the previous sentence really changes as a whole. I'm not a tweaker so it goes over my head. But I must say after watching what people have been doing in the band setting it wouldn't be an issue. Get the tone you want set up in a studio and profile it. Maybe a bit of light tweaking for tone at that point but not messing with all the amp/cabinet options so much.

Through a cab, I hated it on my Mesa Triple Rectifier, but thats due to the series or is it parallel fx ins/outs as it wasn't normal and it didn't react correctly it actually needs modded. I'm running some junkie Alto PA speaker and it sounds decent in my room, so no complaints. But I would love to hear it going through a tube power amp into a cab to see if it has a warmer feel.

Thank you for the input mate - it definitely sounds like something I need to experience myself, in order to see if it's really worth the money and effort. The problem is - we only know ONE guy who owns it here in Romania and it's not something that you can really borrow for let's say, a month, so that you can gig it, tweak it and record in the studio with it and so on.

That's why I'm saying it's a tough endeavor - the worst situation: I won't like it and if I find myself in the situation in which I actually bought it, I will have a hell of a time trying to sell it and I will also be losing some money most likely. Well... we'll live and we'll see..

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Nov 6 2014, 03:44 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 6 2014, 03:23 AM) *
Thank you for the input mate - it definitely sounds like something I need to experience myself, in order to see if it's really worth the money and effort. The problem is - we only know ONE guy who owns it here in Romania and it's not something that you can really borrow for let's say, a month, so that you can gig it, tweak it and record in the studio with it and so on.

That's why I'm saying it's a tough endeavor - the worst situation: I won't like it and if I find myself in the situation in which I actually bought it, I will have a hell of a time trying to sell it and I will also be losing some money most likely. Well... we'll live and we'll see..

Oh I agree, I was looking between this and the AXE-FXII at the time. I talked to I bet 20-30 youtubers that did videos on it. They said for what I do I'd be better off with Kemper as I have the lunchbox style it resembles more of an amp. So I took the jump into getting it, I know from the past I don't mind modelers as it's more of a convenience due to I can use headphones. So it fits my long hours of jamming with headphones on. But it happens to make everything dealing with a DAW easier as well. Just drop a track, lower it a few db, toss on my guitar track and I can do anything I need at that point.

For me it was a blind jump, as you still can't walk into a store and try them around here. Makes it a little bit harder when trying out new guitars. As I enjoy amps that aren't in the area. I would like to own one of the new Mesa Boogie Mark V 25 as it does have cab clone so I could get a tube tone and really A/B with the Kemper. But unlike my past, it's more of a I'd like to just to try it. I really don't need it and I just picked up a Mark IIC+ profile that I love for leads 2 days ago. So it's pushed that want farther than closer. It has really helped me stay away from all the GAS'ing of new amps and gear.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 7 2014, 05:06 AM
COSMIN: I'd have to say I think you are the perfect candidate for a KEMPER smile.gif It's got the TUBE/VALVE tone your looking for in a portable, dependable, easily transportable package and can sound HONESTLY like ANY AMP ON EARTH on that amps best day.

As KRIS mentioned, the big thing to keep in mind is that people often expect the "tone in the room" from the kemper and it's producing the TONE OF THE CONE (speaker cone). However, if the KEMPER is a bridge to far and to pricey, you can get an 11 Rack for cheeeaaaap and just integrate it in to your existing rig.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 6 2014, 03:23 AM) *

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 7 2014, 10:08 AM
Instructor
Thanks again Travis and Todd - I don't have a problem with the cash - in my opinion, it's better to spend a lot of money ONCE on something of great quality and true value, so that it becomes a long term investment, rather than change it all the time and end up wasting more time and money actually.

I will see how I can sell my old head - the Crate and make the proverbial leap of faith smile.gif In the end, if I don't like it, I will sell it and get a Peavy 6505, which I know I like for certain biggrin.gif I am certainly looking for an amp that can deliver the goods in the band context and when recording in the studio, not an amp that just sounds good on its own - so if I have to get aquainted to the idea of not having a tone that is so easily playable, but once it's in the mix, it will sound amazing, I am willing to make it work, for certain!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 8 2014, 03:41 AM
Make sure to allow for adding a power amp if needed or add a bit of extra cash if you want the kemper with the power amp built in. The rack mount kemper with power amp built in is a killer device for the simple fact that you can put it in a road case, you don't need to lug an additional power amp, and it's a kemper smile.gif But they are $2,700!!! So you may be selling your old head, and wads of other gear.
Attached Image

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 7 2014, 05:08 AM) *
Thanks again Travis and Todd - I don't have a problem with the cash - in my opinion, it's better to spend a lot of money ONCE on something of great quality and true value, so that it becomes a long term investment, rather than change it all the time and end up wasting more time and money actually.

I will see how I can sell my old head - the Crate and make the proverbial leap of faith smile.gif In the end, if I don't like it, I will sell it and get a Peavy 6505, which I know I like for certain biggrin.gif I am certainly looking for an amp that can deliver the goods in the band context and when recording in the studio, not an amp that just sounds good on its own - so if I have to get aquainted to the idea of not having a tone that is so easily playable, but once it's in the mix, it will sound amazing, I am willing to make it work, for certain!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 8 2014, 05:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 8 2014, 02:41 AM) *
Make sure to allow for adding a power amp if needed or add a bit of extra cash if you want the kemper with the power amp built in. The rack mount kemper with power amp built in is a killer device for the simple fact that you can put it in a road case, you don't need to lug an additional power amp, and it's a kemper smile.gif But they are $2,700!!! So you may be selling your old head, and wads of other gear.
Attached Image

Hey Todd! Thanks for the add-on, man!

At the end of the year, I will have some cash put aside and I don't have to sell anything to get this full powered version. The idea is to spend my money on something that will stick around and be useful for a long time wink.gif Indeed, though, the idea of having a full powered unit, that won't require an extra power amp is pretty interesting. I had no clue this version is available tho! Thanks again, mate!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 12 2014, 02:25 AM
BTW NICE DIEZEL!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 12 2014, 08:49 AM
Instructor
I've been checking it out and damn man, it looks intimidating for me with ALL THOSE DARN TWEAKS, PARAMETERS AND OPTIONS sad.gif I'm having second thoughts to be honest... It's good that I have time to think things over smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:01 PM