Modes, How to get modal sounds?
John72
Nov 14 2011, 12:35 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm trying to learn the modes to expand out of improvising only with the minor pentatonic. I know the 5 caged patterns andstarted practicing over a single chord vamp (usually A minor.) Everything sounds ok (for the most part laugh.gif )

Anyway, lately I've been trying to add different chords to the to the progression to make it more interesting. That sounds ok too. I try to be on the root note of the chord at the change. Sometimes being on the 3rd or 5th of the chord seems to sound ok, too.

So, now I'd like to start experimenting with modes, but can't seem to get a different sound. For instance, a progression of A to G (keeping it simple) using power chords, I start out in A minor. And the way I understand it (probably incorrectly), playing the A minor scale over G is mixolydian? Well, that's the way I've been doing it (even though I didn't understand it as a mode), but it still sounds A minor to me. And I was hoping for a "modal" sound.

Should I try a different chord? Maybe E for phrygian? Or do I need to rethink my understanding of how modes work?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:13 PM